Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Campaign is doing well. Bt is a harder sale then torment or wasteland plus the golden days of KS are in the past. I still think hbs are the real KS masters though.

imweasel

The Bard's Tale IV is doing better than Wasteland 2 and worse than Torment. But that is to be expected. Everything is fine if you ask me, although i'm sure that the Kickstarter would be doing better if Wasteland 2 was better received.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That poor schmuck Dawn. Taking the bait so easily.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The Bard's Tale IV is doing better than Wasteland 2
I don't think so. W2 didn't have any pre-launch hype as far as I remember, while BT4 had a huge one. BT4 basically made everyone pay on the first two days because of the hype, exhausting its resources very fast, while most people learned about W2 way after the launch day.

So if you adjust to that fact, it may very well be that BT4 is doing worse than W2, which I believe is the case.

Fry

Arcane
Eh... all Kickstarters operate on something of reverse bell curve (peak->valley->peak). Way too early to estimate total funding.

We'll see what happens after the sooper dooper graffix vid they're posting later today. If Fargo has learned anything, it's how to keep the hype train rolling.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Listened to an interview with Fargo at www.spieleveteranen.de (the last 30 minutes of the podcast).

He says that there won't be a separate combat screen, but a zooming out to show the whole playing field as well as your own characters. And it sounds like the characters won't move around like in Realms of Arkania. The zooming out will be basically just a graphical gimmick and the original phased/turn-based combat system will remain pretty much the same.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He says that there won't be a separate combat screen, but a zooming out to show the whole playing field as well as your own characters. And it sounds like the characters won't move around like in Realms of Arkania. The zooming out will be basically just a graphical gimmick and the original phased/turn-based combat system will remain pretty much the same.

Right. Positional tactics - not a thing. From his descriptions to date, I still think that JRPGs are the best touchstone to picture what it will be like.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"They use the word blobber these days" haha. Pretty sure the Codex invented that.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Funny how everyone is a Kickstarter expert nowadays.
Spoilers ahead, actually is going as planned, why?
Because Fargo knew that the Bard's Tale is too weak of a brand to carry its own weight, he could only rely on his personal Kickstarter fame.
This is why Fargo thanks to his connections in the industry created such an hype that would make Bethesda jealous.
This is why Fargo took advantage of tens of thousands of e-mail addresses to make sure that the backers of the previous campaigns pledged to this.
This is why he made a deal with GOG to give freebies.

Let's address some miscnceptions now, it is a bad idea wasting all the best shots in the first period of a campaign when the pledges come on their own, is just overkill.
And WL2 WAS well received, it's one of the most sold Kickstarted games, in case anyone's wondering as general rule Kickstarted games don't sell that well after release.

For predicting how much they will get here it is:
2.500.000$

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Funny, because I'd guesstimated 2.3 million. So we have 2.3 | 2.5 | 2.7
Anyways, doesn't matter, I'm glad it has the pull to be funded

Kz3r0

Arcane
Funny, because I'd guesstimated 2.3 million. So we have 2.3 | 2.5 | 2.7
Anyways, doesn't matter, I'm glad it has the pull to be funded
Actually your estimete is more realistic based on the current trend, mine is adjusted on the assumption that Fargo has something planned for the last three days.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Screenshots:

11313134_900238633369438_6708090346129895356_o.jpg

11402402_900238623369439_6474433953984380757_o.jpg

11402855_900238490036119_871289018476754558_o.jpg

11401769_900238580036110_1859706466200355272_o.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The forest looks linear, like you can only walk forward, other directions being barred. I wonder if it reflects the area design they have in mind.

The mage is too cartoonish.

The music is nice.

Athelas

Arcane
This thing is going to get downgraded so hard it's going to make Watch Dogs look like a paragon of truthful marketing.

I hope there won't be a backlash once the game is released.

made

Arcane
So in this game you follow two blue balls through linear tunnels? Marvelous. Backed for 10k.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This thing is going to get downgraded so hard it's going to make Watch Dogs look like a paragon of truthful marketing.

I hope there won't be a backlash once the game is released.

There's no console factor here though (yet).

Actually, Fargo kind of obliquely referenced the downgrade thing in previous interviews - saying how because it's grid-based and turn-based etc there should be less issues with that sort of stuff and the full graphical power can be unleashed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom