Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
She's actually not talking about that god-awful ARPG prototype, but an actual cancelled Bard's Tale sequel by EA that was in development in the early 90s. Bill/Becky wasn't involved with that one, but some people at her company apparently were.
Thanks for the correction! I'm glad at leas she's not talking about that awful ARPG thingy

It doesn't change anything though, she feels entitled because a project that never came to be, which is just non sensical.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I doubt she has any expectation of being hired for the project, but this is a good opportunity to call attention to herself and her little company. I sure as hell never heard of her before today.

The Bishop

Cipher
Didn't Fargo also used to compare Wasteland 2 to GTA? Just look how similar they turned out. Card based combat in Bard's Tale IV confirmed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I love people coming into a BARD'S TALE thread and complaining how it's going to be a blobber.

Clearly it isn't. It's marketed towards actual old school gamers not poser tweenagers who weren't even born when the original trilogy came out.
Sort of what I was saying, minus the butthurt of course. Although I think preference plays a larger part than age, the majority of the games I play were released before my time, first person blobbers are just shit to me, regardless of when they were made.
Poser? Lol. If you find your identity in the type of shit games you play you should probably kill yourself.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If it has party building and is not real time I can play it

Grimrock is good for what it is but it just lacks things like NPCs and big world to travel
MMX was close to what I wanted but was somewhat popamole

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Curious to see how they update the franchise. I don't hold a particular love of blobbers so I'll wait to see the pitch before deciding whether or not to fund. May get in at the lowest tier depending on price just to help keep the wave rolling.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can we please has this thread split into "inxile next rpg speculation" and "bard's tale 4 announced"?

Who would want to read the 10 pages of people guessing before they got to game is actually announced discussion?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I glanced and saw "Bro's Tale by InXile".

Even though that game only existed in my mind for a fraction of a second, I feel sad it's not being made.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I love people coming into a BARD'S TALE thread and complaining how it's going to be a blobber.

fYCerOW.png

Wvf0YgD.png

Last edited:

pippin

That Bards Tale includes the original trilogy. At least it does in Steam+GoG versions.

I never claimed to be a part of the aged vocal minority of nostalgic sacks of shit that fap over ancient games that would barely qualify as RPGs by modern standards.
As far as the Codex's actual, non altered preferences are concerned, my tastes fit in fine.

Anyway, not a big problem for me, plenty of superior top down/isometric games coming out for me to play. But just saying, if Inxile does a poll like they did with Torment, I'd definitely be for smashing the previous game's formula in favor of something that caters to my tastes.
The butthurt of those starved for new blobbers will only make my satisfaction greater.
/edgy

modern standards
:kingcomrade:

What's wrong with that? Is "modern" your hipster faggot trigger word?
Modern standards are more refined probably for the same reason you see the word with negative connotations. More shit, more watering down of the genre, more need for clearer genre distinction. Otherwise any game with items, stats, and dungeons to clear would be considered an RPG, which would probably be most adventure and FPS games.

Not actually interested in having that argument though, just helping clear up your confusion.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm kind of wondering how it could work. A FPS game? Absolutely not. UU1 type Bard's Tale? Eh, BT is a party based game. I wonder if they could do something like "Betrayal at Krondor" combat, with a step based or scrolling exploration mode? Tactical combat with spells and summons, with some C&C thrown in. Of course, fighting 396 Berzerkers would put a staggering load on ones graphic card. But I could see exploration in dungeons, then creatures coming up or guarding areas. Then it switching to BT combat in a tactical way with the original BT spells. Similar to the original combat, but with areas of effect, ranged heals/touch effects, all that. A beefed up PoR engine, with the BT dungeon exploration.

All my senses are telling me this will be a FPS game, but I'm holding out hope...

pippin

BT4 has to be a blobber, or at least something close to that. After all, most of the commercial appeal of WL2 was based on how "old school" it was, so it would very bad if somehow they make something too far away from BT1-3; they already learned that with the arpg.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What's wrong with that? Is "modern" your hipster faggot trigger word?
Modern standards are more refined probably for the same reason you see the word with negative connotations. More shit, more watering down of the genre, more need for clearer genre distinction. Otherwise any game with items, stats, and dungeons to clear would be considered an RPG, which would probably be most adventure and FPS games.

Not actually interested in having that argument though, just helping clear up your confusion.
Not really confused, just getting a good laugh.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That Bards Tale includes the original trilogy. At least it does in Steam+GoG versions.

But nobody plays them, at least not on GOG, judging by the activity in the Bard's Tale subforum. There are people playing Akallabeth, but nobody plays the old Bard's Tale games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I played it. I will say the humor was decent... sort of. And Cary Elwes (?) was great as the Bard. Otherwise the gameplay was atrociously bad.

Mustawd

Not sure why everyone's linking that card game to the new BT. He clearly meant it
I doubt she has any expectation of being hired for the project, but this is a good opportunity to call attention to herself and her little company. I sure as hell never heard of her before today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WuTp4faKA

Actually a good series of videos. Kind if interesting to hear her talk about the amount of expertise she's gathered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom