Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Banner Saga Chapter One Preview at Rock Paper Shotgun

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: The Banner Saga

RPS' John Walker and Adam Smith have done a back-and-forth preview of the soon-to-be-released (and pretty long in the making) Chapter One of The Banner Saga. The gist of it is, they found it hard and confusing:

Adam: The most confusing part of the conversations is being referred to as ‘you’. It took me a while to realise who ‘I’ was. And then it changed! IDENTITY CRISIS. I thought I was the scribe at first, which made a certain kind of sense – a character not directly involved in combat and therefore unable to perish. But then I realised I was a giant with an axe.

John: I was certain I was the scribe. Now I’ve no idea who I was.

Adam: You are a casualty of war. All of that said, I appreciate the lack of lengthy exposition. To an extent. It’d be helpful to have a brief primer though. [...]

John: Okay, so the fights. I’m not the best at turn-based tactics, obviously. But I found them extremely difficult.

Adam: They are. And I think that’s partly because everything is so easy at first. Walk here, hit the man, the man falls down. Everybody is happy. And suddenly the distinction between armour and health becomes extremely important – which to target when and which character to use – and special abilities are absolutely necessary. I cracked it, but it took a while. And there were moments of frustration, when I thought I’d have to give up.

John: I’m certain I’m doing everything available. Firing of special moves early and until I run out of juice, chipping at armour before going for health, and making sure Varl are in the front lines. But I still only take 2 armour off an enemy who then thwacks me for 9, and am massively overpowered in every situation.

And with the fighters in the West, I’ve not been given a chance to buy items at any point I can recall, and prevented from resting between big fights, and too often not given chances to level up my characters. It feels really strangely restrictive. The screens offering me a choice of whom to take into battle are pretty meaningless. Um, everyone, obviously. And then there’s no freedom, no option to use an archer, or rebalance my tanks, etc.

Adam: It’s punishing, no doubt about it. Any attack that can create separation, pushing enemies back or grouping them together for knock-on effects, works wonders. There are chain reactions that chip away at a whole group. I tended to have a couple of varls hang back and only plod into battle when armour was already depleted. And sometimes that meant sacrificing another character to an early injury – a sort of kamikaze attack.

Agreed on the restrictiveness though. Squad selection is meaningless – presumably that changes later in the game, perhaps when the two groups meet? And there aren’t enough chances to shop or level up. It doesn’t help that there are SO many different classes, all with one special ability. And mostly unique to a single character, at this point.

BUT I LIKE IT!

John: See, I don’t! [...] I’m at a point now where I can’t win a fight. My guys are injured, the game won’t let me rest before the next fight, and it’s packed with ridiculously overpowered enemies. So I won’t win it, no matter how often I replay. So is that a game over? Am I done now?​

The verdict is, of course, that the game needs rebalancing so that poor game journalists don't struggle so much with it.

Also covered in the preview: permadeath, seemingly random events, and the game's art style. They also note that while there are decisions that can influence your progress, the game is completely "on rails"; but I guess that was to be expected.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
If it's half as good as King of Dragon Pass they'll have my money, even for half a game.

Half.

Stompa

Arcane
Hard and confusing sounds like :incline:. That whole stuff about no rest between many battles is right up my valley. Then again, I don't see how can combat system from Factions can confuse anyone, but lolgame journalists.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks promising, and now it's less than a month until release. It should be a good start to the :incline: of 2014.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
RPS has recently gone downhill with the whole Social Justice Warrior thing. Thankfully their (p)reviews remain up to their old standard. Meaning they're fucking dreadful and written by people who desperately want to pretend gaming is all about pretentious twaddle while not having a clue when presented with anything the least bit challenging or taxing. First tool admits not even being able to comprehend the story, then there's whining about how the classes take time to master before going off on a tangent about choices having consequences and the game being 'hard.'

Sure, he might have a point. If RPS didn't consistently show that their writers have no clue, play only for the shortest amount of time possible before runing off to write another crap article and spew the same shit about every game with the tiniest bit of a learning curve. Not to mention that the combat part has been out for months now and works more than well enough for anyone taking even a modicum of time to learn the ropes. Seriously, if you think that's 'confusing' the I dunno...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Maybe they'll do a CD Projekt Red: claim that their game is supposed to be difficult and it won't change then rebalance the difficulty next patch to make it easier.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So that idiot's poor decisions lead him into a no-win scenario, who would've thought?

The funny part is, they quite seriously expect a TBS to be winnable no matter the awful decisions they've made to end up in the kind of dead end that John Walker describes. Apparently the game being unwinnable at any stage because you play it poorly counts as "bad design" these days -- I'm serious, a lot of game journalists and gamers alike seem to think that way.

It's like they completely miss the "strategy" part of "strategy game". :M

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
So that idiot's poor decisions lead him into a no-win scenario, who would've thought?

The funny part is, they quite seriously expect a TBS to be winnable no matter the awful decisions they've made to end up in the kind of dead end that John Walker describes. Apparently the game being unwinnable at any stage because you play it poorly counts as "bad design" these days -- I'm serious, a lot of game journalists and gamers alike seem to think that way.

I hope the developers don't compromise their game to cater to retards like John Walker. Maybe Stoic should make a Banner Saga: Extra Aweshum!! Edition for the "journalists".

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Spot on. The whole philosophy that losing is no fun and that the player should never be punished (too harshly) by anything has become a staple. One I absolutely detest but you can actually find back in articles in magazines like Edge and in books on game design. Infuriating but I don't expect it to go away any time soon.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
reading that wall of stupid made me preorder the game..
i'm surprised the guy that liked it also seems to miss that, since judging by his response to that epicly stupid "i’m certain i’m doing everything available" he seems somewhat more competent in regards to tactics and overall strategy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It sounds like this shit game doesn't properly explain its mechanics to you and that's a huge flaw. :cool:

Not surprised at the incomprehensible story. You can take the developer out of Bioware, can't take the Bioware out of the developer.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
It sounds like this shit game doesn't properly explain its mechanics to you and that's a huge flaw. :cool:
i don't see how you can come to that conclusion since the mechanics seemed to be the pretty much only thing those two weren't confused by.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
i don't see how you can come to that conclusion since the mechanics seemed to be the pretty much only thing those two weren't confused by.
And I think that’s partly because everything is so easy at first. Walk here, hit the man, the man falls down. Everybody is happy. And suddenly the distinction between armour and health becomes extremely important – which to target when and which character to use – and special abilities are absolutely necessary. I cracked it, but it took a while. And there were moments of frustration, when I thought I’d have to give up.
I’m certain I’m doing everything available. Firing of special moves early and until I run out of juice, chipping at armour before going for health, and making sure Varl are in the front lines. But I still only take 2 armour off an enemy who then thwacks me for 9, and am massively overpowered in every situation.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
you seem to equate player's failure to think with game's failure to explain. if game explained things to the point where it teaches somebody too sucky at strategy games to see that there are many alternatives to his simplistic tactic that could work better to play it well, that would basically be like game playing itself.
note that he doesn't seem confused by mechanics but rather by tactics. especially the answer of the other guy makes it seem as if he ignores what the skills actually do and wastes them blindly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you seem to equate player's failure to think with game's failure to explain. if game explained things to the point where it teaches somebody too sucky at strategy games to see that there are many alternatives to his simplistic tactic that could work better to play it well, that would basically be like game playing itself.
note that he doesn't seem confused by mechanics but rather by tactics. especially the answer of the other guy makes it seem as if he ignores what the skills actually do and wastes them blindly.
All games should adequately teach players how to play, though this is a guy who thought Dragon Age: Origins (another game that didn't adequately teach) on normal was too difficult so I suppose he might be something of a lost cause.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know about the SP game obviously, but I found the FTP MP Banner faction well explained, and easy to grasp, so I suspect it has to to with either the journalist not doing his homeworks, or the build not including the tutorial.

For instance, the game tells you that :
Both sides alternate moving one guy at a time (thus, an obvious conclusion is : the less guys you have, the more each of them will act).
Wounded units lose strength.

Sure, the game could also tell you that it is better not to finish off enemy units, or you could not be a moron and come to the conculsion by yourself (If you down 2 opponent warriors out of 6, he will still alternate between his remaining 4 fresh ones, while if you take 33% HP from each of his 6 warriors, they will inflict reduced damage on each activation).

I didn't really like this system (mostly because it made no sense, I know, chess neither does not make any sense, but it does not try to be a RPG, so cares little about immersion breaking mechanisms), but that's no reason to act stupidly and proceed as it if did not exist.

Same goes for going against strength or armor : given that you know how much damage you will deal (both against armor and strength), it should be fairly trivial to infer what is best in whatever situation.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom