Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Unless you're playing under some kind of minimum time to finish the game challenge it's pretty irrelevant. It's not really making him more tanky aside from maybe 1-2 HP regenerated over a very long fight, and you're still going to have to rest for everyone else in the party.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Wait, I remember this. This was probably my favorite part of my evil BG1 run. Not because of that journal entry, but because of how you can convince him not to fight you by making him believe he'd be evil for doing it or some shit. Would like to see more of that type of content in RPGs.
I think you can only convince him of this if you don't have an extremely negative reputation.

aloeh

Novice
It's possible play baldur's gate in a 21:9 monitor? Could be even the enhanced edition.

My cat peed in my monitor and this is the result:

IMG-20230219-083601-630.jpg

I bought one Samsung g5 34" 21:9. It will better to work.

cdx

Novice
It's possible play baldur's gate in a 21:9 monitor? Could be even the enhanced edition.

My cat peed in my monitor and this is the result:

IMG-20230219-083601-630.jpg

I bought one Samsung g5 34" 21:9. It will better to work.
Your cat looks very proud and capable, fully up to the challenge of peeing on a new 34" monitor.

Also, the original BG1/2 should work fine on any screen if you have nvidia card and enable aspect ratio scaling in Nvidia Control Panel.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Alternatively if you happen to have an RTX card you can use the integer upscale feature. Best way to enjoy the classics imo.

Both AMD and Nvidia drivers have integer upscaling as an option.
No, that is only for newer cards, my card that I bought in 2017 doesn’t have that option

I had a Radeon 480 and I'm 100% sure the option was there in the drivers. It's under display settings, enable GPU scaling and then Integer scaling.

EDIT: Unless you mean you have an Nvidia GPU from 2017 and it doesn't have that feature. Normally Nvidia has the more extensive driver feature set though so I'd have assumed it was there.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Both AMD and Nvidia drivers have integer upscaling as an option.
No, that is only for newer cards, my card that I bought in 2017 doesn’t have that option

I had a Radeon 480 and I'm 100% sure the option was there in the drivers. It's under display settings, enable GPU scaling and then Integer scaling.

EDIT: Unless you mean you have an Nvidia GPU from 2017 and it doesn't have that feature. Normally Nvidia has the more extensive driver feature set though so I'd have assumed it was there.
yes I forgot to mention it’s an NVIDIA card

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I can't get BG2 classic to fullscreen without black bars no matter what I try (widescreen mod). Its always a tiny poxy little box in the center of the screen.

strange thing is, I have IWD2 running in fullscreen stretched with its respective widescreen mods. Classic Planescape also fullscreen stretches even without the widescreen mods. Found at least two other people who had the same problem and no solution other than very hacky ones I CBA using. Shame, I'll have to use EE instead

sam-hyde.gif

CootKeeper

Augur
I can't get BG2 classic to fullscreen without black bars no matter what I try (widescreen mod). Its always a tiny poxy little box in the center of the screen.

strange thing is, I have IWD2 running in fullscreen stretched with its respective widescreen mods. Classic Planescape also fullscreen stretches even without the widescreen mods. Found at least two other people who had the same problem and no solution other than very hacky ones I CBA using. Shame, I'll have to use EE instead

sam-hyde.gif
have you tried playing in 1280 x 720 resolution? for me it worked great with the widescreen mod. higher resolutions tend to fuck up

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

sam-hyde.gif
have you tried playing in 1280 x 720 resolution? for me it worked great with the widescreen mod. higher resolutions tend to fuck up

Yep, tried that. I tried all the commonly suggested approaches and it just refuses to play ball. Again, the odd wrinkle here is every other IE engine game cooperates just fine. So I have to suspect its something with the specific .exe

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I recently watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (don't ask me why) and in it, there is a mage duel between two wizards. It immediately got me thinking about Baldur's Gate.
I think they captured the "feel" of one of the duels from BG, considering they even use protective spells to nullify each other attacks instead of it only being a CGI visual fest. There is actually some logic behind it.

bloodlover

Arcane
I want to start a BG 1 - SoA - ToB run since I only played SoA many years ago (and loved it) and I am thinking of doing it all with the same character. My SoA run was with a sorc if I remember but it does not matter very much. What would be a fun character to roll, given that BG1 is quite low level and many classes (like monk) don't get going until later levels? I am inclined to do a wild mage or bard run but I am not sure about wild mages in low levels and bards in high levels .

Also, very important question: EE or classic?

Thank you.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I want to start a BG 1 - SoA - ToB run since I only played SoA many years ago (and loved it) and I am thinking of doing it all with the same character. My SoA run was with a sorc if I remember but it does not matter very much. What would be a fun character to roll, given that BG1 is quite low level and many classes (like monk) don't get going until later levels? I am inclined to do a wild mage or bard run but I am not sure about wild mages in low levels and bards in high levels .

Also, very important question: EE or classic?

Thank you.
Classic all day, every day.
Go for Fighter if you just want to have fun, arguably the easiest class to roll stats for and you also have a high degree of survivability.
Mages have it tougher at early levels, but become very powerful as they gain more spell levels and spell slots.
Are you playing with Tutu? Monk and Wild Mage are BG2 classes, they shouldn't be in the original BG.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If you want easy to play as well as survivability I think the Berserker (or maybe Barbarian) may be the best choice due to the Rage ability that protects against Game Over spells.

Humbaba

Arcane
I recently watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (don't ask me why) and in it, there is a mage duel between two wizards. It immediately got me thinking about Baldur's Gate.
I think they captured the "feel" of one of the duels from BG, considering they even use protective spells to nullify each other attacks instead of it only being a CGI visual fest. There is actually some logic behind it.

I unironically really like this scene, it's literally the only mage duel in the entire series of movies and I think it's really well done.

ferratilis

Magister

sam-hyde.gif
I remember having this problem, looking it up online for hours, trying everything, and nothing worked. In the end, it was just a matter of deleting one of the files in the installation folder, but for the life of me, I can't remember which one lol. Maybe it was a ddraw file, try that and see if it works. It was something simple, but my memory is shit, so it's hard to remember what exactly.

bloodlover

Arcane
NecroLord EE introduced some extra classes (some might be OP for BG1 maybe?) and Siege of Dragonspear which as far as I understand bridges the two games a bit so I am inclined to go for that.

Thx octavius I might consider it. I know that melee classes are generally boring af to play in earlier DnD edition but I am not really in it for the combat.

If you want easy to play as well as survivability I think the Berserker (or maybe Barbarian) may be the best choice due to the Rage ability that protects against Game Over spells.
Definitely do Berserker if you're taking a fighter kit. Barbarian is kind of shit unless you use some very specific stacking item combos in late BG2 to get 100% phys resist, at which point it becomes boring because almost nothing can hurt you for like 30 rounds each day. If you don't this or before you can do this their AC is awful, and their damage will always be significantly worse due to being limited to 2 pips in weapons (weird balance decision to make barbarians worse in dealing damage, but the strength bonus just doesn't outweigh grandmastery).

Berserker->Mage dualled at level 9 is sort of the typical powerbuild that gives the best progression along the powercurve, with fighters being stronk in BG1, fighter/mages just leaving them in the dust in BG2, and being an effectively full mage in ToB meaning you can still use overpowered level 9 spells while still falling back on fighter/mage strengths.

Siege of Dragonspear which as far as I understand bridges the two games a bit so I am inclined to go for that.
SoD is meh at best, might be best skipping if you aren't really into the combat. Basically everything except the combat and dungeoning in SoD is better off ignored and forgotten.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
EE introduced some extra classes (some might be OP for BG1 maybe?) and Siege of Dragonspear which as far as I understand bridges the two games a bit so I am inclined to go for that.
I see.
Berserker is one of the best kits in the entire series. Enrage grant you immunity to so many debilitating conditions, not to mention it also gives increased thac0 and damage.
I heard Dwarven Defender is really awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom