Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT JAN JANSEN:mob:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I could add Aerie and troll the shit out of her until she gets butthurt and wants to leave.

This is highly recommended and will result in plenty of lulz.

I almost slaughtered her early on since my Lawful Neutral Kensage has a low tolerance for bullshit unless it makes him laugh.

Then it's settled! I will hire the wingless whiny elf. But should I replace her after or just have 5 party members?

Melcar

Arcane
I always hated Jan. Kind of a useless little shit. Amusing, so I guess he makes a good extra character. Aerie is annoying as fuck but a good asset.

DragoFireheart

I always hated Jan. Kind of a useless little shit. Amusing, so I guess he makes a good extra character. Aerie is annoying as fuck but a good asset.

Jan does a good job at annoying the shit out of your party members for lulz, can be included in pretty much any kind of party since he cares little about alignment, his personal quest is fairly easy, he's a good thief, and a solid support mage.

Jan is fucking awesome.

Last edited:

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not only is he annoying as shit, he is a thief/mage multiclass. :lol:

DragoFireheart

As for a 6th character, how about Keldorn for the Carsomyr?

I'd rather not have a overzealous paladin kill my Chaotic Commands/heal bot.

Even Anomen is tolerant of her (which is a bit weird).

UglyBastard

Arcane
I think your Kensage will find good use for the extra XP. It's not that he needs companions anyway.

I always liked Jan, he can unlock and disarm about anything right away and is a mage on top of that. As a neutral he will moan a bit about you slaughtering peasants and ravaging the countryside, but he will remain loyal. And he has some amusing banter from time to time.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Anomen clearly has the hots for Viconia.

Present arguments as to why mage/thief isn't the most useless multiclass.

Athelas

Arcane
Anomen clearly has the hots for Viconia.

Present arguments as to why mage/thief isn't the most useless multiclass.
If that's your argument why Jan sucks, why not make a custom party of optimally customized characters then?

I'd rather not have a overzealous paladin kill my Chaotic Commands/heal bot.

Even Anomen is tolerant of her (which is a bit weird).
That actually makes sense with his personality, he kills that guy's daughter basically for the lulz in his companion quest. He isn't as principled as he likes to pretend.

Xeon

Augur
I can't remember if someone said it here or I read it somewhere else but if you haste and then equip Flail of Ages+5 you will not lose the haste state.

pippin

You don't really need thieves in BG2, but they had that Use Any Item thingy. Their stronghold was somewhat boring, though..

Xeon

Augur
That's pretty cheesy.
Not really, You'll probably get the weapon pretty late in ToB so you'll probably have a decent number of Greater Whirlwind to use it with so I kinda don't see a difference and its probably a hassle to de-equip, haste and then equip every time you want haste.

Similar to DragoFireheart I kinda wish if Free Action simply didn't remove the haste effect.

Yea, Thief Stronghold takes too much work because of the cut they require every week.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Mislead is pretty much an exploit. So you get a sucky multiclassed mage that doesn't progress for shit. And the only thing useful they get from the thief levels is a backstab multiplier which they can only use with mislead, since their thac0 is horrible. Sounds gr8

Yes I know they have skills, but so does a dualled thief/mage.

Athelas

Arcane
Yes I know they have skills, but so does a dualled thief/mage.
You mean like Nalia, who can't pick locks and disable traps for shit? If you compare Jan Jansen to the other companions, there arguably isn't a better alternative for a capable thief who also has great combat utility.

And how is Mislead an exploit?

Seari

Arcane
Patron
She can do it just fine if you get her the rings. Not that I've ever used her, she's more annoying than Aerie. You can use Yoshimo until you get Imoen.

I never used it myself, but as I understand it - you send your clone out of sight and you get infinite backstabs.

UglyBastard

Arcane
So you are saying that Jan is annoying and useless and propose to use YOSHIMO instead? :O

DragoFireheart

She can do it just fine if you get her the rings. Not that I've ever used her, she's more annoying than Aerie. You can use Yoshimo until you get Imoen.

I never used it myself, but as I understand it - you send your clone out of sight and you get infinite backstabs.

Proposes a pure thief over thief/mage multi, what is this I dont even.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
I said until you get Imoen back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom