Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I think he either means helping twinfalls login to his account or banning his new account. Depends on how twinfalls left the site - I don't remember.
Probably safer to ban him just in case. :M

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's an awesome skill called reading that can help you with that.

OK, I guess I missed the part where it said that if I repaired that machine it will teleport me to another town with only a couple of phrases telling me some shit happened but not why and no words on how I ended up in that town.

:hero:

hivemind

Do you really think that if you turn up at an area secured by the military and help them fix a machine of importance they aren't going to send you to their superior immediately ?

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
It will only teleport you if you are forced into getting yourself entangled with the Aurelian faction.

Do you really think that if you turn up at an area secured by the military and help them fix a machine of importance they aren't going to send you to their superior immediately ?

How should I know the superior isn't at the Aurelian mine? Or that the first town will become unavailable (given that in many non-linear roleplaying games you can come back and do quest Nr. #2 after having done Quest Nr. #49). It's shitty design for so many reasons. The fact that no other roleplaying game I know of does this should be evidence enough.

i rikez to fix da tings am herp peepr. reev me arone!

No, it's pretty obvious that if you suddenly help the people you were meant to evict from the mine, things are going to change for you pretty quick.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Meaning you'll get to talk to Gaelius for 30 seconds and then he'll let you get back to doing whatever you want, including plotting to kill him.

hivemind

How should I know the superior isn't at the Aurelian mine?
There are like 10 people there. Their leader that you speak to has the rank of a Decanus.
I mean, how should you know that an important faction higher up isn't sitting around waiting for you in smelting facility near another city that doesn't even work as of yet ?

Or that the first town will become unavailable
Narrative passage of time? You can still return to the first town but the narrative events there would have already happened.

The fact that no other roleplaying game I know of does this should be evidence enough.
Quoting literally from the top part of the steam release news post.

The most commonly asked question is:
What Kind of Game Is It?

It’s a very different game than anything you’ve ever played.

Meaning you'll get to talk to Gaelius for 30 seconds and then he'll let you get back to doing whatever you want, including plotting to kill him.
And? You're the one that chose to fix the mine and that's what he knows about. If you were plotting to kill him, that's your business. Is he supposed to read your mind?

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
What changes pretty quick?

There are like 10 people there. Their leader that you speak to has the rank of a Decanus.
I mean, how should you know that an important faction higher up isn't sitting around waiting for you in smelting facility near another city that doesn't even work as of yet ?

Yes? Or someone he trusts? Gaelius lets you go regardless. Since we're talking plausibility wouldn't it make more sense to keep the player character around by force instead of just letting him go? Doesn't happen. Why? It's probably because Vinney realizes that would make for shitty game mechanics.

Narrative passage of time?

Sucks dick how it was used here, that's kinda the point. You're arguing plausible plotlines when it comes to odd game mechanics. There's so many ways it could've been done less intrusively yet you're arguing about how plausible it is from a plot perspective.

Quoting literally from the top part of the steam release news post.

Fucking hell, is this what Vinney meant?

Last edited:

What changes pretty quick?
Your location? The fact that you have now helped another faction and are therefor seen as affiliated with them? The fact that the passage of time has effectively cut off access to the quests in Teron? Isn't this what we've been discussing? :|

The fact is, when the player sees the choice to help the people he's supposed to be getting rid of, he should be able to deduce that that choice is going to do something. Probably something that the Aurelian will like and Antidius won't. If he isn't alright with not knowing what exactly that something would be, he simply shouldn't pick that choice.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
The fact that the passage of time has effectively cut off access to the quests in Teron?

Well, yeah... How should I put this? I question the value this element added to the final product, especially since passage of time isn't really important to the game afterwards.

The fact that you have now helped another faction and are therefor seen as affiliated with them?

Not even that.

Deleted member 7219

Stairs next to the entrance of the city.

What? There are no stairs next to the entrance of the city. There are stairs you walk up to get into the city, and there is a stepladder that leads to an empty room on a rooftop. That's it.

Well, yeah... How should I put this? I question the value this element added to the final product, especially since passage of time isn't really important to the game afterwards.
edit: I vaguely remember that this was also a concept Vince had early on but I can't recall his justification. It may be there largely to make things easier on the developers, I think. Terron has a huge impact on the events in Madoraan. Sure, it's possible that they could have done some sort of persistent world thing and had certain choices trigger events and dialog, but I suspect this would have made things more difficult.
It's one of those things that you have to look at, remember that the dev team consists of a handful of people and realize that at some point calls were made and had to be stuck with due to time/budget/manpower.
Not even that.
You get the chance to swear fealty to aurelian which does give you a bonus with them. Gaelius straight up tells you that you've caught his attention but you need to be tested before he trusts you. If you want to screw it up or just wanted to get to madoraan, then that's your choice to say no. Again, there were no promises associated with fixing the smelter. It's up to the player whether or not he wants to stick with Daratan or make a gamble.

Kiste

Augur
The combat is really tedious and awful, but unlike PoE it can be completely avoided and the game works really well as a visual novel.
This is what I have gathered so far:
Combat is to be avoided because it fucks you in the ass. What's left is a bunch of branching text and your skill choices determine the branch.

Sounds like heaps of fun.

This is what I have gathered so far:
Combat is to be avoided because it fucks you in the ass.
Not true at all. Combat is interesting if you are in to tactics and usually winnable provided you aren't bringing a spoon to a knife fight. Of course, if you are looking for an CYOA with intermittent trash mobs on easy mode like Dragon Age, then yeah, it's gonna be hard for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
OK, I guess I missed the part where it said that if I repaired that machine it will teleport me to another town with only a couple of phrases telling me some shit happened but not why and no words on how I ended up in that town.

:hero:

The end of Teron and Maadoran can defiantly feel disjointed,with end sliders talking about characters you never met as they are your buddies.It's something I can understand,as it's hard to predict all possible player actions.Lack of lots new fresh perspectives without any prior story knowledge I feel did not help catch a lot of these dialog/story inconsistencies.Early game needs some local world building,something like event(purely fluff) in the market square that can introduce you to the local Commercium or other players.I finished Teron as Preator and never had a dealing with Linos and he and his guild are shown as major factor in the region in the end sliders.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Then what the lockpick skill is for ?

I dumped some points into lockpiking and returned to first town and now some doors have a lockpick mouse pointer when hovering over them instead the old door icon but the attempt to open still ends in failure.
5 points in lockinking in the fist town still not enough? wtf!

Stuffed up my point allocation so I couldn't complete the Thieves questline in Ganezzar.
Feels like theres barely any sidequests there.
Decided try one of the endings.

Ran through the lasers at hell's gate, found a god and helped restart the empire.
Felt rather abrupt.

Loremaster next, as I happened to put a lot of points in lore.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
That's not a bug, the merchant guild and the guy have the same goals

Ran through the lasers at hell's gate, found a god and helped restart the empire.
Felt rather abrupt.
No kidding. Endings could've used more work.

"Oh, you're a god. 'K, I'll help you. Fin."

Doing the god's bidding should have been the 'end-game,' with several ending slides.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom