Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 6 Most Ominous Trends in Video Games

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Pretty good article from Cracked:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/

This image says it all:
62660.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
The image misses the point. It's what behind the gun sights that is wrong

But other than that ya. Console shooters are constant copy-pasta of each other

deuxhero

Arcane
I love it when people acuse Nintendo of doing nothing but sequels when they are the one dev house that regularly does new IPs.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Konjad said:
what's wrong with iron sights? you'd rather have aiming crossair?
Nothing at all. It's just funny how very similar the games are.

Phelot

Arcane
And the premise seems to be the same in all the games... which isn't such a bad thing. You see, a game like Doom had a fucking retarded plot, but the plot wasn't the point of the game. The point was killing shit and being challenged doing so. But games want to be movies these days. In fact, they seem to HAVE to be movies and as such they should be judged so. And in the end they all fail miserably. Every single FPS that is mentioned in the OP pic looks like something Michael Bay would make. Imagine if each year, you get bombarded with 10 "EPIC U R THE SAVIOR OF- HOLY FUCK DID YOU SEE THAT MISSILE DESTROY TEH CITY???" movies. That's what we have with games right now. They want to be movies, but they still have Doom plots. As they should because they're fucking FPS' and I've only ever played one or two FPS with a decent story and even then they still had awesome gameplay, something that modern FPS' lack.

So, what we have right now are games that force you to watch and listen to awful characters stand around rigidly and perform vaguely human body language "NOW I WILL GESTURE WITH MY HAND TO CONVINCE YOU I AM HUMAN" for five minutes only to have a shitty CGI event occur that Hollywood would have made 100 times cooler. Oh yeah, and you kill a few dudes for a minute or two before another interactive cutscene.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
phelot said:
Doom had a fucking retarded plot
Not retarded. Minimalist.

Otherwise I agree completely with what you say.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
At least a back-story.

From the original Doom README.TXT:
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------
THE STORY SO FAR
------------------------------------------------------------
You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in 
combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted 
a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon 
civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl 
Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the 
Union Aerospace Corporation. 

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive 
waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and 
Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day 
consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in 
the rec room. 

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest 
supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and 
Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including 
research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have 
been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, 
throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out 
the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown 
dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them 
have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form 
of insanity--babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that 
breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-
body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to 
the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports 
state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but 
everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from 
Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something 
fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer 
systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon 
afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, 
attempts to establish contact with either moon have been 
unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty 
million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were 
ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest 
of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio 
picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling 
orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. 
Seems your buddies are dead. 

It's Up To You 
Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off 
the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have 
been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a 
pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma 
rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your 
way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of 
pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the 
landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial 
firepower somewhere within the station. 

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear 
animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. 
They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

Joghurt

Augur
Dust 514 does not belong on that list. It's actually one of those games that is trying to do shit that haven't been done before. Like ever. At least I haven't heard of any games that try to merge MMORPG and FPS worlds together.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Joghurt said:
Dust 514 does not belong on that list. It's actually one of those games that is trying to do shit that haven't been done before. Like ever. At least I haven't heard of any games that try to merge MMORPG and FPS worlds together.

Has the most appealing gfx from the lot.

And is Borderlands not a mix of FPS and MMOrpg?

Joghurt

Augur
Well I haven't played Planetside so I wouldn't know, but I think it's something like that but a little bit different. Basically the idea behind Dust 514 is that it is connected to the same server as EVE Online and what happens in Dust 514 happens in EVE Online.

The game features users fighting ground battles in wars on planets in the Eve Online universe. According to a preview by Edge, the events that happen in this game will affect the EVE Online universe. Battles in this game can also determine who controls various planets in the EVE universe, and users in DUST 514 can interact with users from the EVE universe such as providing mercenary assistance during on planet battles. In an interview conducted by Simon Carless of Gamasutra, Petursson said that he hopes "these [Eve Online and DUST 514] communities will meld over time", bridging the two environments. He also wanted to establish a relationship between the flying-oriented nature of Eve Online and the infantry-oriented nature of DUST 514, saying "while the fleet does the flying, the infantry does the dying". According to Game Informer, this gives fans and players of Eve Online a new challenge in testing their FPS skills.

I presume Planetside had some sort of strategical gameplay not only tactical battles? Well then yes it probably is the closest thing to Planetside. Except that nobody has tried to integrate FPS mechanics into an existing MMORPG with such a huge fanbase.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Yes, because clearly the EVE online players would really like to play a FPS. Hell, it's not like they're two opposing sides of a very multisided coin.

Oh, wait.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Joghurt said:
I presume Planetside had some sort of strategical gameplay not only tactical battles? Well then yes it probably is the closest thing to Planetside. Except that nobody has tried to integrate FPS mechanics into an existing MMORPG with such a huge fanbase.

They didn't integrate anything.
It's a separate game.
IIRC console-exclusive too

I still don't understand what's so unique about MMOFPS?

Cassidy

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Joghurt said:

They didn't integrate anything.
It's a separate game.
IIRC console-exclusive too

I still don't understand what's so unique about MMOFPS?

They are like the FPS multiplayer games of the late 1990s and very early 2000s in the fact they feature dedicated servers that allow two-digit player counts, except you have to pay monthly for them and have your achievements stored persistently.

Exception is that, according to what I've read, Planetside during its golden days actually featured three-digit players online unlike the console shit that will be coming from now on.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The scary and sad thing is that Cracked, a humour web site which has largely made its way with articles like "6 sex toys that secretly want to kill you", is probably a better place to find legitimate videogame critique and commentary than almost every other mainstream site wholly dedicated to the games industry.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Konjad said:
what's wrong with iron sights? you'd rather have aiming crossair?
Innately wrong? Nothing, but the way modern shooter developers are doing it is shit, just like regenerating health and all those other ideas that might sound good on paper but not in-game or even if you think about it for a minute. Generally they make it so weapons are innacurate unless you look down the sights, and looking down the sights reduces movement speed. Imagine if Quake III required you to walk at 50% speed to aim the rail gun without missing. Realistic, maybe, but not fun. It's just another way to slow the game down for console tards.

The way you said it though, would work. If it actually functioned JUST to replace crosshairs I wouldn't have a problem with it, maybe even embrace it, because it's tacticool. The way most modern shooting game player characters hold guns from first person looks fairly stupid.

Also, now that I actually read the article, it seems fairly on the ball.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
sea said:
a better place to find legitimate videogame critique and commentary

just like the onion they can get away with some poker faced bluntness because they can always respond to any outrage by pointing out that they are a humor site and maybe that article isn't to their taste

otherwise fencesitters can rationalise them as using hyperbole for humor and actually games are more or less fine who would take this seriously ha ha

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom