Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware That Which Sleeps - Vaporware Strategy RP

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At this point I still think the best thing that could happen is if some youtube celeberty (ugh) like TB or PDP got a press build of the game and showed it off for their hordes of cultists. Failing that, a generous donation of mountain dew (and press build) to Kotaku, PCGamer and the like might garner you another 1-200 converts.

Basically what I'm saying is you really need to have a press build you can send out for people to play and write about.

I agree. Total Biscuit has covered Kickstarter projects before so I guess it's possible if he finds it interesting. Say what you want about him, but that would be a big boost to exposure.

I don't know anything about YouTubers, but that guy has a great name. Even if we don't get a YouTuber build out before the Kickstarter end I am sure that they'll be a major component in getting hype built for the actual release. We're at the point now where we have so many Beta Testers that we want to prioritize them - we're putting out our Scenario Viewer build the week after KS ends (it's a build we use to see how assets and special effects look), and we want to get a pipeline going from our contractors right into that build so the beta testers can review the art and decide on an aesthetic.

Even more critically, we may hit the Procedural goal - that means we'll need the Beta Testers reviewing the new tiles as well, though we won't be getting Procedural into the Early Access build we will want to upgrade the map itself so it's important we get some churn on that ASAP.

TBH, I thought we'd struggle around 6k and we'd just work on the demo for two weeks, release it, get up to maybe 18k and then move forward. Figured with how niche Turn Based Strategy is there would be limited attention - happily we were wrong and it looks like the amount we're getting is going to let us really do justice to the game. Industry attention has been pretty positive as well, which is even better. All that though can be ignored, we want to make sure we get all the Beta Testers get in and can start giving feedback ASAP.

Torrasque01

Augur
Just a warning. TB will probably not cover your game until full release. He got burned a bit since none of the kickstarters he promoted turned out very good, notably Takedown Red Sabre was an unmitigated disaster, Nekro is in early access hell and War for the Overworld is borderline.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Do de doo time to read the kickstarter update and comments se---

1FAcPh6.png

bu3vcSK.png

jkHCkG1.png

Oh man. I hope Dawn_ doesn't sue you for triggering him. He and the codex have a sordid history.

Last edited:

Torrasque01

Augur
and War for the Overworld is borderline.

What do you mean by borderline? I haven't really looked at it, but I've been remaining hopeful that it'll turn out good. What's not good about it?

I didn't feel the updates were frequent and sizable enough to make the february 2015 release date. Now I'm not so sure, it might turn out great.

edit: Kickstarter ended in january 2013 and game reached version 0.5 in september 2014. This will either get delayed or released incomplete.

Last edited:

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer

What do you mean by borderline? I haven't really looked at it, but I've been remaining hopeful that it'll turn out good. What's not good about it?

I didn't feel the updates were frequent and sizable enough to make the february 2015 release date. Now I'm not so sure, it might turn out great.

edit: Kickstarter ended in january 2013 and game reached version 0.5 in september 2014. This will either get delayed or released incomplete.

Was keeping an eye on this but lost track, glad to hear you're a little optimistic about it - better than nothing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Ah, ok. But what is in it is good, yes?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Do de doo time to read the kickstarter update and comments se---

1FAcPh6.png

bu3vcSK.png

jkHCkG1.png

Oh man. I hope Dawn_ doesn't sue you for triggering him. He and the codex have a sordid history.
Gotta be a Codexer.

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
We had a guy named the Weresheep of Sin pledging but he cancelled - that hurts.

Pondering showing a rough tech Proof of Concept of genealogical generation, it's very ugly since we didn't intend it for anything besides internal testing - but it shows off the concepts we would use like Great Leaders, Artifact and Ruin Generation, and the simple ratings for the civilizations.

Should we post it or is it too rough for the KS crowd? Want me to post it here first and you guys can give me your opinion?

Luka-boy

Arcane
Sure, go ahead. Even if it's bad it's not like the average pledger visits the Codex and will see it.

Wizzy

Novice
Congratulations.

Since I backed it two days ago I've been checking its progress, and I'm optimistic they'll hit the final stretch goal at this rate.

Is the demo still in the works?

tabacila

Augur
Congrats!
Less than $13K to go in 14 days so if you keep your above $1K/day average you should be fine.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Considering the typical last days boost in funding, I have complete faith this will reach all its current stretch goals.

Have you considered eventual bonus stretch goals if they all get reached with a decent amount of time left on the ks KingDinosaurGames ?

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
Considering the typical last days boost in funding, I have complete faith this will reach all its current stretch goals.

Have you considered eventual bonus stretch goals if they all get reached with a decent amount of time left on the ks KingDinosaurGames ?

Well, to be honest I don't want to add anything else - we had two big elements we lost that were interesting that I would certainly love to get in the game but with these stretch goals now on my plate I'd rather focus on them and not feel pushed to get to anything else.

For the record they were 1) Underworld map (glad I didn't have to write the AI to handle this) 2) City Districts in cities, meaning you could control certain areas and fight for influence. It was interesting even in its early form but it didn't really go with the Grand Strategy aspect of the game.

Going to talk with my partner, but I think we may simply say every X after the final stretch goal is another Agent added - probably take some of our rejected concepts and present them to the backers, let them decide who deserves to be made.

Congrats!
Less than $13K to go in 14 days so if you keep your above $1K/day average you should be fine.

Sounds like it - going to be cutting together that video about the Proof of Concept, I think it will help get us there if we need it

Congratulations.

Since I backed it two days ago I've been checking its progress, and I'm optimistic they'll hit the final stretch goal at this rate.

Is the demo still in the works?

Demo is on 100% hold for now, kickstarter too successful for its own good. I can't wait till it ends and I can actually program again.

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
KingDinosaurGames Will the modding be robust enough to allow us to add new mechanics to the game?

Depends on what you mean by mechanics - but there are three tiers that will help you accomplish what it is you're looking to do. The first is to use effects that have already been coded into the game, which is the simplest method to achieve what you want (we have a lot). If that effect does not exist, you can often accomplish it by spreading out cause/effect onto Events that will allow you to reasonably achieve what it is you want to accomplish given that we allow access to almost any variable as well as all the UNITY Prefabs. Finally, if neither of those work you can perform a call-out to your own DLL - any language in the .NET framework will work as long you reference our own SDK DLL. Admittedly, we have ZERO documentation for the SDK at this point and several of the functions are out of date - but that's par for the course when you're rapidly iterating and we'll certainly be finalizing it for the Beta Modders.

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
Also, we decided against the procedural video - the problem is I used a Hex map which I know no one here will care about but we actually lost some pledges with our ugly Mod video so we're a bit afraid of showing it. Instead I'm hacking in a tiled version of the main map and going to take some screenshots instead - but the mechanics are pretty interesting so I think screenshots + description will suffice for now. After the update let me know if you're still curious about it, I can get the prototype over to you once the Kickstarter is over. More realistically about two weeks after the KS, I need to get out all the Scenario Viewer builds to Beta Backers and above first.

Diablo169

Arcane
Huge Update on Lore, Survey Results & Stretch Goals

Mark Yohalem of Primordia Fame will be Creating Lore for That Which Sleeps!

Now this is exciting!

Co-founder of Wormwood Studios, Mark Yohalem has written stories for numerous computer games, most recently the award-winning adventure game Primordia . In addition to writing and designing games, Yohalem has published dozens of short stories, poems, and articles on game design.

Mark will be working with us to help define some of the Lore and History present in the world and scenarios that occur in That Which Sleeps. We will look to Mark to bring his signature flair and story-telling depth while also maintaining the concise descriptive work necessary for a strategy game. Brevity, as they say, is the soul of wit - and Mark is one witty fellow.

He has already created a thematic phrasing of our first scenario, The North Burns, that we are eager to share with you all once we can give it the supporting assets it deserves.

You can follow Mark on Twitter or check out his upcoming RPG, Fallen Gods.

Survey Results

In what was probably the most poorly designed survey in the history of surveys, we asked our backers how they felt about us approaching stretch goals and add-ons. We had over 600+ responses (which is amazing) and I'll give a glimpse of the data below.

Please note that we read every single write in comment as well and they gave us some great ideas.

19d53006589de881820fa6dae4def3e4_large.png

So we had a few major take-aways from this survey:

Our backers want more content - and there was a fair split of what type of content they wanted, but they were most interested in additional Agent types and an additional playable Old One.
Scenarios, minions / heroes, and the race pack were less desirable, though more than half of respondents were still interested in additional races.
Very few respondents were interested in a mobile release, the comments suggested they were more interested in a fully fleshed out experience on the PC.
Only 3 (!) respondents were not interested in stretch goals at all.

So it's pretty safe to assume we'll be adding some content related stretch goals very soon.

Add-Ons

The add-ons survey was much more cut and dry. Less than 10% of respondents were interested in add-ons and more than 30% said they would not be interested in any of the add-ons we suggested. We may consider revisiting this over the last couple days of the campaign depending on how well received our stretch goals are.
What's Next?

We'll be going into much further detail about procedural generation over this coming weekend, expect screenshots and an abundance of descriptive text explaining what we will be accomplishing with this stretch goal.

We will also be releasing the second part of our Modding Dev Log, followed shortly thereafter by an intense video of gameplay in order to hunt down our contest winner's event.

As for Stretch Goals, we had to do some soul searching to figure out if any of the other features that we had once envisioned as a part of That Which Sleeps should be re-introduced. We decided that with the amount of features already on our plate it would be best to put as much polish as possible on the fantastic goals we have already achieved.

What does that mean? It means that we will be setting stretch goals for greater Art and Animation Assets as well as additional content that the community decides on.

Expect to be voting in the near future on some of our Agents and Old Ones that we originally originally omitted when we cut the list to 16 (some of these are really fun).

In addition, each of these new stretch goal thresholds we surpass will bring the world increasingly to life, adding animated caravans and farmers to simulate the prosperous kingdoms going about their business or at the other extreme refugees fleeing the plundered ruins of their homes. We'll also be revealing some of our Tier 1 Rituals that have powerful and lasting in-game effects, and how these thresholds will take their representation to the next level.

As always, thanks for reading our giant wall of text and thank you for all the continued engagement we get here on the comments, via social, and on the message boards.

MRY get in here and comment on this awesomeness plx. I was already excited for this game, this is just a superb layer of icing on an already delicious cake.

Last edited:

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, we decided against the procedural video - the problem is I used a Hex map which I know no one here will care about but we actually lost some pledges with our ugly Mod video so we're a bit afraid of showing it. Instead I'm hacking in a tiled version of the main map and going to take some screenshots instead - but the mechanics are pretty interesting so I think screenshots + description will suffice for now. After the update let me know if you're still curious about it, I can get the prototype over to you once the Kickstarter is over. More realistically about two weeks after the KS, I need to get out all the Scenario Viewer builds to Beta Backers and above first.

Wow, I can't believe it, I'm really disappointed about the feedback. I thought is really good clip/presentation. I suck and modding but I said to my self it reminds me of Heroes of Might and Magic 2/3 and I can do this since it looked easy and nice.

In that case it's then wise not to show any videos that my "disturb" the community. Any chance we'll see any more videos at all during this KS campaign?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom