Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Platforms are for pussies. Chug obsidian and featherfall potions and navigate across the lava pits and between the towers like Dr. Jones would.

Keep a good sword type weapon with you for killing the mini worms. They drop a ton of hearts and having those hearts drop near the boss is a total waste. Also, they're a bitch to aim at with ranged weapons anyways.

Bring a lot of ammo.

If you've got the patience for it, start the fight on one edge of the map. If you die, you can actually run back underground and continue the fight if you get in front of the wall before it reaches the edge of the world.

Gerrard

Arcane
I used water walking to ignore lava, featherfall + red baloon + cloud in bottle + hook to navigate, plus the standard potions. Used Minishark with meteor shot.
Never did any platform crap either. The only "boss arena" I have for other fights is a bit of flat terrain not far from my house.
There's also a finite number of chests and rare ores in the world, which makes even Mediumcore just asking for trouble unless you're willing to switch world whenever one starts to run dry. All the shit you drop when you die disappears when you leave the game and it cleans up the trash. And if you died in deep corruption or something, getting your shit back is probably nigh impossible, just because of the worms. Nevermind if you lost your grappling hook in a place you got to by using your grappling hook, and would need to dick around with wooden platforms to get there, without armor or weaponry.

Hardcore server might be fun if it stays up perpetually though. Would be funny finding someone's death drops from a week ago while wandering around. Although, good luck finding a good place to make a bed/stash. Probably need to be either underground or up in the sky somewhere to avoid getting robbed blind. RPGCodex does not scale to your level
Ores aren't really that much of a problem, but items from chests would be.
Starting a new character on a world with unlocked hard mode would be pretty much suicide anyway.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Could be a vertical foregrip, but yeah tommy gun sounds likelier since shotgun is already in-game.

Gerrard

Arcane
Didn't really look closely, I just assumed it was one since they added a shotgun as a weapon.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Understandable. They made a fairly discreet yet polished product and updated it with a few free content updates. For the $10 there's easily around 50ish hours of game time with the potential for a lot more depending on what you want to do. Only direction they could have gone is to nickel and dime people with DLC and fortunately they knew better than to do that.

Also for those inclined they are going to be selling a collector's edition via Amazon:

ce.png

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I certainly don't mind 'em being done with Terraria. And Starbound sounds cool as hell the bit I've heard about it, and after how they supported Terraria I'll be inclined to buy it full price on Steam most likely.

Damned Registrations

Except they'd promised a hell of a lot more than what they actually delivered, and are dumping it without making it moddable or releasing the source code.

Here's hoping someone makes a clone and implements all the things Terraria could have been. Won't be buying anything from him (or the guy who split off). If they lied about supporting the game content wise, maybe next time they'll lie about whats already in it, or won't bother bugfixing it.

Gord

Arcane
Except they'd promised a hell of a lot more than what they actually delivered

Like what?

Edit:
I had a look at the thread, found a bit of what they had promised to include.
Well, would have been nice. But already there's talk about lawsuits and great internet drama going on.
Drama, drama never changes...

The content updates the game received since I bought it have been quite substantial, so I'm not really angry at them.
Of course I would have preferred it to continue, but otoh I haven't played it much lately anyway. After putting well above 50 hours into it, it started to lose its appeal a bit.
Given the low price point, though, I've got more than my money's worth out of it already.

mck

Cipher
lol I love everyone losing their shit over on the Terraria forums

As it is right now, I feel like I gave a guy $10 to spit on my face.

or you paid $10 to log 60+ hours in it and get free updates. same thing though.

Gerrard

Arcane
Considering the state in which it was released, bringing up the "free updates" (at least until 1.0.6) as some sort of an argument is fucking retarded.

I like how the "Upcoming features" page was instantly deleted from the wiki.

Gord

Arcane
Well, wouldn't make much sense to keep it now...
:troll:

Anyway, the game was quite playable before 1.0.6 and the core gameplay hasn't changed much after the updates, either.
But I'm really not sure what to think about them ending the development like that.
It's a bit shitty to first promise stuff and then just go all "oh, wait, nevermind" on it, otoh, I bought the game for what it was, not for what it could eventually be after 2 more years of development.
Also I'm not sure how much of it was "promised" and what was just "cool stuff we'd like to implement some day, if we can get it working".
And it was certainly fun without all the promised shit. Cheap fun, too. I have problems to get all worked up because of it...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wonder how many of those retards complaining gladly part with $60 to play most AAA games that last no more than six or seven hours?

Multi-headed Cow

Eh. It's a game made by one or two guys, and unlike Minecraft the game got to a solid "Gamey" state. I'm pissier at Notch not doing what he said he was going to simply because Minecraft is still just a block stacking simulator. Terraria's got a lot of loot whoring and exploring and boss fighting and all sorts of shit on top of block stacking.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There really wasn't anywhere for Terraria to go other than the MMO route which would have been awful. One of the developers is working on that new game and the other is taking some time off to raise his newborn kid. Nothing to say they can revisit the idea of an expansion or sequel or whatever in a couple of years. However, the Dredmor developers have actually offered to take over the 'stewardship' of Terraria.

Gerrard

Arcane
Anyway, the game was quite playable before 1.0.6 and the core gameplay hasn't changed much after the updates, either.
I don't deny that, but I recall that even they themselves said that it was released early.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They did but... at least they brought it to completion, unlike Notch, and never raised the price above $10 (and had numerous sales to boot).

Multi-headed Cow

However, the Dredmor developers have actually offered to take over the 'stewardship' of Terraria.
That sounds cool, but doesn't make much sense. Why would they offer to support/update a game they wouldn't be getting money from? You'd think they'd rather work on Dredmor 2 or something.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well... I don't think they'd do it for free. They would probably buy the license or something from the Terraria guys and possibly sell stuff giving them a percentage. On the other hand, think of how many fans/followers Terraria has -- it opens up Dredmor and their future game(s) to a bigger audience.

Damned Registrations

At the very least they could have kicked out some modding tools before jumping ship. It's a fun game and was worth the money no doubt. But lying about how long you'll be able to see updates for it is a fucking douchebag move. There's nothing to do in the game after you've gone through the content. A simple block/enemy/item editor would have added immensely to the game, let alone proper modding tools. It's not like the project did worse than expected and they were forced to focus on other things to make a living- the reasons they are leaving were known to them a long time ago.

Lying about your product doesn't become ok because the product is cheap. It's not like it had high production values to begin with. The game cost 10$ because it's a low rez blocky game built on a very simple engine by 2 guys. Not because it was a 60$ game but they were lying about most of the features so the price was slashed. And a big part of the reason it sold like hotcakes to a rabid fanbase is that the devs said they were aware of how boring the game would be without updates so they intended to support it for a very long time. I was basically expecting something along the lines of the 1.1 patch once a year or so.

The fact that he turns around and plugs their new projects in the very same post he's blatantly going back on things he said is outright insulting.

"Hey guys this is Blizzard. We're shutting down battle.net because we have other stuff we really want to do instead. Wait for our new game coming out next spring that will be totally awesome and whose servers will never get shut down ever we swear!!!"

:roll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It actually isn't his new project. It's one of the other developers. Saying they 'lied' is a bit harsh. This was a game developed by what... two to four people? Life happens and plans change.

Damned Registrations

True, but babies gestate for longer than 4 weeks and they each probably each got enough money to buy a frigging house within a week of release. Redigit also happens to be the programmer, so there's no reason he couldn't have released modding tools even without anyone else. He doesn't need someone to make sprites for him to do that. At the very least the source code could have been released, that doesn't even take any work.

As it stands it seems more like he wants the game to die so he can sell another one. "I am very much looking forward to providing you with something much better than Terraria in the future!" strikes me as hype mongering in light of the situation, a situation he seems to have created on purpose.

I can understand that plans fall awry and such, but going from 'Will support the game for a very long time' to 'We did one real content patch (No, adding a tuxedo and zombie with a hat doesn't count) ~6 months later that's all you get bye' isn't some minor detail. Compare with what Stardock is doing with Elemental. They weren't even that fucking successful and they're still not screwing over their customers by moving on to a new project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom