Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Virgin Golden Rod
Golden_Fishing_Rod.png

• Fishing Power: 50%
  • only casts one line
  • can't fish in lava
  • must be a child's personal gofer
  • fake and gay

vs.

THE CHAD DEVOURER OF CODS
The_Devourer_of_Cods.png

• FISHING POWER: 75%
  • CASTS TEN LINES AT ONCE
  • LAVA MOVES ASIDE AT ITS BIDDING
  • MUST DEFEAT A COSMIC WYRM THE SIZE OF A SMALL MOON
  • 100% REAL AND 100% STRAIGHT

Terraria devs seems to not understand how meteors work. Meteor this size compared to the rest of the biome would vaporize everything.

Terraria devs seems to not understand how meteors work. Meteor this size compared to the rest of the biome would vaporize everything.
Were you buying it up until then?
No, but the meteor somehow triggered me more than anything else. I can understand that the game needs different biomes and they can't be too big, there are gameplay purposes etc but you could just make a small meteor and nothing would change.

htulb1I.jpg

I am impressed how the game wants me to create a death chamber for tutorial character in order to summon the boss.
It turned out that my battle lane lasted only for 1/4 of boss fight. More demons are going to lose their homes now.

I went into hardmode and I am impressed, there is more enemy variety in the hardmode than in the normal mode and they are tough too. It was quite some time since I had troubles during blood moon or goblin invasion (although I got a lucky drop and got bananarang, so enemies got easy again). Crimson is spreading extra fast (19% after a few days), thankfully I had dig up some long horizontal shafts for the mine cart, so I have a chance to contain it. Got annoyed again how the game does not explain it's mechanics (how sunflowers work), went to wiki and got spoiled. Again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Eurogamer reports: Terraria is the first Steam-game to hit ONE MILLION REVIEWS and maintain its 'Overwhelmingly Positive'-status.

Fuckin' hell.

I've been playing since the update, trying to discover what new content is out there. I was quite surprised to find the game's must stubborn merchant sells an item which extends the range one can use forges and anvils and such. But not only must one find him first, but also do business with him during the right phase of the moon. Bothersome to say the least.

Devastator

Learned
I’m playing this game again. I checked, last time I played it was in 2013. I’m impressed, the quality of life is insane and there is a lot of new content. i wish many other games had such devs :(

I got this on sale and played for a couple of weeks.... I dunno, it got stale real fast. I enjoyed minecraft for longer.

I think I got to the part where I was supposed to scan various shit, and finished the bird people, and I started on the fish people and it was like... the same thing, but 10x slower because you're underwater...

I got this on sale and played for a couple of weeks.... I dunno, it got stale real fast. I enjoyed minecraft for longer.

I think I got to the part where I was supposed to scan various shit, and finished the bird people, and I started on the fish people and it was like... the same thing, but 10x slower because you're underwater...
I see someone rated my post "What?" so I guess they couldn't hear me?

I GOT THIS ON SALE AND PLAYED FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS... I DUNNO, IT GOT STALE REAL FAST! I ENJOYED MINECRAFT FOR LONGER!

I THINK I GOT TO THE PART WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED TO SCAN VARIOUS SHIT, AND FINISHED THE BIRD PEOPLE, AND STARTED ON THE FISH PEOPLE AND IT WAS LIKE... THE SAME THING, BUT 10X SLOWER BECAUSE YOU'RE UNDERWATER...

Hopefully that helps.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

You're confusing Terraria with something else; probably Starbound.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Holy hell, I just found the Shimmer.

This is gonna be fun.

Instead of having people go look it up, I'm gonna tell you how to find it so you can enjoy the surprise.

1: Make sure you're in a post-1.4.4 world, as it's a new biome location.
2: Find the part of the jungle that's closer to the ocean.
3: Head underground. The Shimmer should be either wedged into the jungle biome on the outskirts, or just beyond the jungle, about halfway down.
4: Look for a thin, glowing blue moss on the stone blocks. It's lighter in color than the mushroom moss. This originates from the biome.
5: If/when you see what appears to be a large circular room connected by sizeable straight horizontal passages on either side (and possibly some gem trees) you've found it.
6: Experiment. Start by observing what happens there, then try things yourself. A torch is a good start.

You're confusing Terraria with something else; probably Starbound.
Oh no, I am officially retarded. You're completely right, I was thinking of starbound. Now I am dishonored and must commit sodoku.

Moon Lord has fallen, it's a review time!

- Exploration is a lot of fun, there are many environmental obstacles such as water or sand. You always need to be prepared to deal with the darkness in tunnels you explore.
- There is a lot of weapons to choose from and there is a surprising amount of diversity in how each weapon functions.
- (played on expert) Boss fights are genuinely difficult and demand construction of an arena and using potions. The only problem here is that in most cases the arena consisting of a few levels of platforms works best.
-A lot of early to middle game progression consist of getting new means of movement, which is always more fun than just seeing numbers go up and does provide the real feeling of mastering the world.
-Base building is quite cool
- I liked the music.
- The idea of an evil biome that spreads and needs to be contained works well, it makes you feel responsible about the world state, even if containing it is quite a chore on large map.
- I hate how you need to consult wiki (and be spoiled) to play the game. Basic mechanics are not explained. Important informations are hidden (stat differences between different types of hooks and wings are a great example). The game can outright lie to you with it's descriptions, like how attack speed for bumerangs does not affect their attack speed but range! I was also suprised to learn that there is a hidden cap on how quickly your character can move.
- Hardmode is a lot of fun at the start and makes the game feel fresh again, however gameplay quickly deteriorates into grinding/ boss fighting marathon and exploration stops being the main point. Devs rather than unlock new monsters, should have added new biomes accessible only after hardmode. The result is that during the endgame playing becomes tiresome and you only continue because you want to finish the game.
- Terraria limits when you are able to fight the boss, either by limiting the combat to one per night or gating it behind grinding for summon items and potion ingredients. I circumvented it by save game copying, but it's not fun design when the game block you from getting into the flow by posing some restrictions on retries.
- You can't prevent low tier items from being automatically picked up and put into inventory, which forces you to make inventory cleaning every few steps. Also: fuck banners.

Overall the game is a lot of fun, even if not every design choice was correct.

KbfKTrC.jpg

nEAXlNk.jpg

OjdIKXJ.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Aaaaand Terraria 1.4.5 has been announced, coming out in early 2023 to coincide with a 'Dead Cells'-crossover.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It has never been announced. They were working on a spin-off project called Terraria: Otherworld, but they cancelled that many years ago. The only part of it that survives is the soundtrack.

They're also working on an unannounced game alongside Terraria. IIRC they hope to announce it next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom