Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Whatever, fuck you. I'm buying one of these yo-yo's

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Strange Plant auto-farm is complete. :smug:

My collection of special dyes is massive already, and it's been less than two hours since construction on the farm wrapped. :smug:

82a18cdbb8.png

We couldn't be bothered to finish the bottom half of the farm, since doing the top half (which includes some complicated wiring mechanisms I designed entirely on my own) by hand took six hours. My pal is a more industrious worker than me but has no head for wiring, so we make a good team.

49ec0aaaa1.png

Close-up of the bottom:

3bf1258876.png

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Did you really need all the teleporters? Can't you just you a minecart bouncing back and forth?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The teleporter chain, activated by a bird spawned from a bird statue, is unique. Due to the way the chained three-second timers and teleporters interact, and thanks to the bird's interaction and uniform flight speed, the player will teleport once every three seconds while going east, but once every half-second (approximately) while going west.

This was fairly important for the antlion farm (which was much wider than it was tall; in retrospect, that may have been a suboptimal design decision), because constant fast movement reduces spawns. Most enemies, with the exception of the occasional harpy or wyvern, cannot spawn in visible areas of the screen. It's far less important for this farm, but why use plebeian menial laborer carts when you can use glorious Star Trek transporter pads?

Damned Registrations

Well, the reason would be that the goal of the farm is to save time, rather than expend it.

But having it be asymmetrical like that is certainly interesting nonetheless.

Out of curiosity, does changing the screen resolution affect which areas enemies can spawn in?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-1-3-0-4-is-live-changelog-included.24197/

Update, and patch notes are out. Highlights:

• Strange Plants are more common due to scrublords crying about them being too hard to find; meanwhile, I have a chest full of every kind of Strange Plant dye thanks to my farm
  • Phantasm bow nerfed to be about as strong as the Tsunami, i.e. much worse than current endgame guns; bows as a category are now essentially useless again
  • Final boss buffed yet again; he now teleports on top of you if you get too far away from him, effectively eliminating the "teleport back to the nurse" strategy; the scrublords crying about this on the official forums have given me lots of laughs
  • Two more endgame yo-yos implemented
  • Tons of very welcome bug fixes and stabilization; minor changes

I absolutely guarantee I'll have the new, "harder" final boss down pat on Expert within a day.

Damned Registrations

Doesn't that basically make him unkillable solo now? On expert mode anyways. There's no way in hell to dodge the eyes once they detach and they hit for like 200 damage a pop. Unless you build some retardedly elaborate arena with multiple teleporters or something. And even then I can't imagine out healing the unavoidable lifesucking bullshit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's been done, and you can find videos of it on YouTube.

However, my plan isn't to fight it "legit." I'm going to use bubbles to suspend water in midair and fly through that corridor with the Shrimpy Truffle mount, which flies infinitely and goes over 80 MPH in water, while spamming attacks backwards.

He will teleport on top of me frequently, but it won't matter because I'll have about 45 MPH on him and will almost immediately be offscreen again.

Damned Registrations

Well then why not just do the spike trap cheese? I managed to find one video of someone doing a legit win without lifesteal or being invincible 99% of the time, and he only survived with like 13 hp by being like 2 screens away for most of the end (he also was using the Phantasm, and there's certainly nothing else that does that much damage before you kill him.) I've little doubt that this video took many many attempts to produce, which translates into fucking hours and hours of farming the worthless, trivial pillars. Urgh.

I guess I just don't really see the point in making a boss so difficult you need to cheese him slightly more difficult by narrowing the number of ways you can cheese him. Well, not like there's any reason to kill him in expert mode anyways. Maybe some day I'll fight him in normal mode and have a legit fight of it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've managed to kill him one time just "kiting" in the UFO mount without going back to heal, but that was on non-Expert.

It is absolutely impossible to beat it now on Expert without an arena or some special construct. That's clearly what they intended, but I agree with you that these boss fights are trash. They aren't like Metroid or Monster Hunter boss fights in which you can memorize patterns and finish the fight without ever losing any health. You will get bumrushed at 40 MPH and loads of shit will be thrown at you. No one alive can dodge it all, mainly because that level of mobility doesn't exist in Terraria.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
alright i jsut finished all mechanical bosses + gotten ankh shield and cellphone with my new character in expert mode. any tips for plantera?
I haven't beated him in normal yet, but...
Dig a big hole in the jungle, and wire up a heart statue (or two) you can quickly and easily run past when you need some healing

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
This thread, holy shit. Using third party map viewing programs, playing in multiplayer, using your old characters for expert mode and/or gearing up in non-expert worlds beforehand.

Absolutely disgusting. You should all be ashamed.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
any tips for plantera?

My method was in normal mode and done quite a while ago, but maybe the same basic tactic works.

Once I found the Plantera seed, I cleared a quick path towards the surface and set up a series of wooden platforms there, went back down to spawn Plantera then led it up to the surface and fought it by the wooden platforms. This severely hampered Plantera's mobility while increasing mine, which gave me the advantage needed to kill it.

Phage said:
This thread, holy shit. Using third party map viewing programs, playing in multiplayer, using your old characters for expert mode and/or gearing up in non-expert worlds beforehand.

Absolutely disgusting. You should all be ashamed

You forgot studying the wiki beforehand. ;)

While some of these things sound cheesy, multiplayer isn't one of those. And as the game allows for this, people will do it.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Multiplayer still does make the game far easier. Even with the 'boss scaling' in expert, being able to have a free moment where you're not targeted by the boss is huge, especially if you strategically setup the nurse. That's not to mention normie mode where multiplayer makes bosses fairly trivial.

Anyway, just beat all three mechanical bosses on my expert solo no bullshit world. I was getting rekt until I got the Daedelus Stormbow. What the fuck is that thing even lol. You men think it's good enough for Expert Plantera, or is there something else I should make beforehand?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I don't have a clue what that thing is either. To be honest, the Scourge of the Corruptor has been my backbone in monsterslaying throughout all of Hardmode so far, so I'm not familiar with many of the newer weapons. The SotC is probably underwhelming against many of the latest threats of Terraria, so I'm gonna try to find a new "favourite" weapon in my latest playthrough.

Speaking of my progress, I just finished mapping out the Dungeon, which is BY FAR the most annoying place to be in Terraria. Constant "in-your-face" spawns get really tiresome. On the upside, I got my hands on a Legendary Muramasa, and I go through baddies like butter. Combined with my Meteoric Armor+Godly Spacegun, I'm ready to go stomp some giant bugs in the jungle.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Multiplayer still does make the game far easier. Even with the 'boss scaling' in expert, being able to have a free moment where you're not targeted by the boss is huge, especially if you strategically setup the nurse. That's not to mention normie mode where multiplayer makes bosses fairly trivial.

Anyway, just beat all three mechanical bosses on my expert solo no bullshit world. I was getting rekt until I got the Daedelus Stormbow. What the fuck is that thing even lol. You men think it's good enough for Expert Plantera, or is there something else I should make beforehand?
MEN I will join your server with my godly Terrarian and wreck face.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Finally got my hands on a Metal Detector, only needed to kill 5 Nymphs to get it. On the upside, I may have discovered the optimum circumstances to farm Nymphs, will investigate later when/if I'm bothered to.

In other news, my safe has now disappeared twice on me. I'm not even certain under what circumstances it did that, it just was no longer where I left it (right next to my spawnpoint).

Next stop: Down under.

On another note, I now know what new addition I'd like to be in a future Terraria update: Livestock. It just came to me as I watched standard dirt blocks become covered with grass...what if there was something in the game that would "eat" those grassblocks, turning them back into dirt?

Take a standard cow. It grazes on normal dirtgrass tiles, it's a cow. It starts grazing on corrupted dirt tiles, it turns into a Corrupted Cow. Crimson, a Bloodcow. Hallowed grass, a Holy Cow. Jungle grass, Wild Cow. (Mushroom grass, Cowabunga.) And since we're started on this...gotta find a way to get Hellcows into the game.

It would finally give some decent use to fences, and give players more to do around their base.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
That would be cool. I'm a tremendous faggot for animals, so that'd be up my alley. Only issue is I'm not too sure how useful they could be, unless they produced crafting materials for exclusive weapons/armor.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
What world size do you guys recommend, assuming I only want to play solo? Are the higher sizes designed for multiplayer and I should stick to solo, or fuck it generate a big world stalker?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Just go with Medium. I honestly regret my Large solo world (but I'm at Plantera in expert with no outside help, so I can't really justify backing out at this point)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom