Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Those aren't official, just someone's suggestions.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Been playing the 2nd leak a lot for the last couple days. Still finding new crap. Most recently the rocket boots, which are about as awesome as you'd expect. Definitely buying this on monday, though I wish they released it independently aside from steam. I can understand wanting to release it on steam for the free publicity and ease of use for people that use it anyways, but whats so difficult about setting up a basic system of their own? It's not like digital distribution is massively expensive. Does paypal take too big a cut for it to be worthwhile? Steam force them to not have any competing download methods? Are they retarded enough to think the DRM aspect of steam would give them more than 24 hours before pirated copies are available?

Multi-headed Cow

DamnedRegistrations said:
Steam force them to not have any competing download methods?
Typically no. In fact for indie games Valve is usually pretty bro about the indies selling the games themselves outside of Steam, and then providing Steam keys if the people who bought it outside of Steam want 'em. Latest examples of that off the top of my head, Spacechem and Revenge of the Titans. If anyone bought 'em straight from the developer all they had to do was ask for a Steam key if they wanted one.

Multi-headed Cow

I made a hut, and night fell, and a zombie came up and started BASHING DOWN MY DOOR.

Already better than Minecraft.

Exmit

Scholar
Preparing for ITZ Cleve style

LpSNL.jpg

:yeah:

game is very nice

Exmit

Scholar
wow this game is already in steams top 10 with 12k people

BC1WT.jpg

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Game really needs separate server software, preferably with an option that keeps the inventory server-sided. P. gay how you can import your singleplayer char's stuff straight into MP, not to mention how easy it's to cheat like this.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Just got the game too, bros. Pretty decent so far. Made a guy who looks like Guile and am ready to do some construction work for the good of the people and society.
:thumbsup:

Multi-headed Cow

Exmit said:
wow this game is already in steams top 10 with 12k people

BC1WT.jpg
Currently top seller on Steam, too. And the top seller chart is by revenue, not numbers sold.

Turisas said:
Game really needs separate server software, preferably with an option that keeps the inventory server-sided. P. gay how you can import your singleplayer char's stuff straight into MP, not to mention how easy it's to cheat like this.
Dedicated servers are coming, though no idea if they'll allow server-side only characters or not. If they don't then it would be best to play only with bros you know are on the up and up.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
S8Zi8.jpg

Shouldn't those rooms be enough for the NPC's to spawn? I mean they don't need actual separate houses, do they?

Damned Registrations

I've got a similar setup myself, that should work fine. NPCS do have other prerequisites though. The guide will tell you what they are. If you've fullfilled those, go exploring on the surface, my NPCs usually don't show up when I'm around. Might also need to wait for daytime.

If you've tried all that and it still fails, change the walls. Rock might not count as an actual 'wall', since it's naturally found in terrain like dirt.

Edit:
Terraria.png

The smaller wooden rooms nobody moved into yet, but I've only got requirements filled for the guys I have right now. Although recently I fulfilled the reqs for another NPC. I'll let you know if they won't show up for me; might mean the rooms have to be a certain size as well.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Part of me says to wait since the Summer Sale is like five weeks away. Then again they say they will raise the price after the first couple of weeks... sort of like an inverse promo discount I guess.

Friend of mine got it and described it more of a 2D/platforming ARPG than a builder like Minecraft.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah starting to think I need to expand the rooms - should've had the nurse and merchant spawn a long time ago by now. Fucking skeletons have abysmal drop rate for the hooks, must've killed dozens until I finally got one. :x

Sucks that they changed the armor graphics btw. - on the beta screenies and LP videos the old ones looked much nicer.

Damned Registrations

Hehe, old ones were ripped from FF5. And yeah, I had the same issue with the skeletons. On the bright side, the grappling hook no longer hits enemies, so you don't have to worry about falling to your death because a worm popped out of nowhere anymore.

As an update on the rooms thing: My arms dealer wasn't showing up in the little room so I decided to expand it. Fucker spawns right when I tear down the door. Which, of course, makes no sense, since that doesn't expand fuck all; it destroys the room. I'm guessing their room detection is just plain buggy when it comes to having multiple rooms sharing a wall. Went and built another nice room up top since I unexpectedly killed a boss.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yep looks like you were right about the room size, expanded them and made some separate ones altogether, and now I have the nurse, merchant and demo guy. Maybe it was due to having the table right next to the wall instead of the middle of the room.

Damned Registrations

Epic Attention Whore Castle is proceeding nicely. Gathered over 1000 blocks of obsidian and figured out a really quick way of getting the stuff so I'll probably make all constructions from here on out out of obsidian walls lined with lava.

EpicCastle.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Developers also plan on adding a lot of content plus full Steam integration -- particularly server hosting.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
This game is ridiculously fun, even in singleplayer (with a few players co-opping I bet it's brilliant, haven't had the chance to try yet). Accidentally summoned the Eater of Worlds by smashing a Shadow Orb, hard as hell but the Ball O' Hurt I'd found just mere moments earlier was really effective against it. Died in the end, but so did the Eater just afterwards - no idea what happened, might've been a stray fallen star that killed it.

3x Band of Starpower is pretty awesome since the mana regen stacks, wish I'd just have something else than Vilethorn to use the mana for.

Dire Roach

Prophet
I've read in several reviews that the controls and interface are a bit dodgy/clunky/unoptimized. Although it wasn't apparent to me at first, this could explain why all the players made so many seemingly clumsy mistakes in the Let's Plays I watched. Can someone who has been playing the game describe any problems they've had related to controls/interface?

...oh, fuck it, I might as well try it firsthand since I was thinking of downloading the "demo" anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom