Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple of Trials, or Irenicus' Dungeon, or ToEE Moathouse, or Peragus?

Which of the following do you like best?

• Total voters

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like Peragus, because you can see space Jews get gassed in real time.

Alright, jokes aside, I like Peragus because it doesn't really feel like a tutorial area. It does feel like it's a part of the world, the story and it introduces 3 characters that are all important.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
They're all bad. I guess I'll go Temple because it's the shortest.

-Temple of Trials: too many mobs with minimal options (miss, kite, miss, kite, etc). Everything is super gimped so a character with 5% melee could still win.

-Chateau: It's one floor longer than it should be, no companion choices, stupid puzzles

-Moathouse: Contains the single hardest combat encounter in the game, which is bass-ackwards.

-Peragus: Drags on and on, stupid gimped enemies, constant characters switching, Loooooooooooooooorrrrrrrre

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Brofist this post if you think that changing the option to the Moathouse (which is a dungeon, and matches the other poll choices since they're dungeons as well) as opposed to it just saying "Hommlet".

deuxhero

Arcane
Moathouse: Contains the single hardest combat encounter in the game, which is bass-ackwards.
Which encounter was that?
I can definitely think of harder encounters later in the game.
All I can think of were conditional ones added by Co8 (ambush upon leaving if you alerted the place without quickly finishing). Maybe the location's boss? That's certainly a tough fight, but it's certainly not something I'd say is harder than the Iuz fight (even if we don't count the optional objective of slaying a deity on a time limit) or non-cheesed Balor fight.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Brofist this post if you think that changing the option to the Moathouse (which is a dungeon, and matches the other poll choices since they're dungeons as well) as opposed to it just saying "Hommlet".
poll is about starting areas not dungeons crithpy

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Moathouse is one of the best dungeons ever made in terms of design and encounters. Has some pretty rough battles, those gnolls and bugbears come to mind, not to mention the ogre Lubash and Lareth and his cronies.
The gnolls can be bypassed with some diplomacy and coins, the ogre also with some diplomacy and deception (hint: there's a cloak involved), not sure about Lareth though, I almost always massacre him and his goons.

Irenicus' Dungeon is also pretty good, not exactly sure why so many people bitch about it. A good introductory dungeon.

PapaPetro

That mandatory BG2 tutorial dungeon is always the pits each run.
Just wanna hit that overland map ASAP, know what I'm saying?

laclongquan

Arcane
You are comparing things unfairly. In term of assets, content, playhours: Irenicus Dungeon = ToT + Arroyo. Worse, ID is unavoidable, you have to spend at least 1 hour (or even more) to get out of it. With ToT, ten minutes minimum. ToT+ Arroyo 15 minutes.

In term of unescapable content, ID is much more annoying than ToT.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Moathouse, easily. While it has GIANT FROGS guarding it, what does the Irenicus dungeon have? Cloned god damn elves.

Disgusting.

Old Hans

Arcane
poll is about starting areas not dungeons crithpy
I just wanna add my 2 cents on this with an official statement, in Italic, which means its extra important

"As one of the leading experts on all role playing game systems and Gerry Gygax forgotten realms adventure modules.....the adventure party doesnt even begin in the moathouse. it shouldnt even be on the list"

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Those frogs and their grappling, am I right?
They kicked my ass harder than the Irenicus dungeon. I played it when it came out and it felt like baptism by fire.

And just when you think you're out of the woods more of the fuckers show up.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Maxie when you first created this thread I honestly thought you were going for starter-level dungeons and not necessarily starting areas, so I apologize.

It's probably too late to go back and change the poll though so ha ha.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Maxie when you first created this thread I honestly thought you were going for starter-level dungeons and not necessarily starting areas, so I apologize.

It's probably too late to go back and change the poll though so ha ha.
dont worry crispy you've been a constant disappointment to me for many years now

Hagashager

Educated
I unironically like the first dungeon of Baldur's Gate II.

:dealwithit:
It's pretty good. Not sure why so many people complain about it.
What the hell were you expecting? Durlag's Tower 2: Electric Boogaloo?
probably no dungeon at all.

Starting duneons tend to suck, hard, in most cRPGs, even when they're decently designed they still serve to get in the way for repeat playthroughs.

Irenicus's Dungeon is a tutorial, first and foremost. If you've played BG 2 before it's annoying to do the slog yet again.

Doesn't hold a candle to Peragus though. Truly, an absolutely dogshit start to any video-game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom