Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple of Elemental Evil

I'm going to give this a go soon. I hear it has some really bad bugs, so I'll be using the circle of eight mod, but as I hear it changes things. I don't know how much it changes from the original. Has anyone done a let's play on this game using the vanilla version?

Ebonsword

Arcane
I played this game about a year or so ago using just the latest official patch. I don't recall encountering any major bugs on my playthrough.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
There was a thread not so long ago where someone (I think Mefi) suggested to install the Co8 Mod Pack anyways since you can still play vanilla ToEE over the mod's Front-End. It will only remove the most critical bugs, without the gameplay changes, I believe.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was under the impression that the Co8 Mod always installs huge changes that are basically stupid: it removes the level 10 cap, making the game far too easy, and it adds a lot of really badly written dialogue and silly-looking items.

I know Chefe is really just trolling since we had the exact same thread three days ago, but if he isn't - but he is - then one can just repeat what was already suggested: go play it with that fixpack; most people seem to be able to stomach it fairly well. I discourage its use because all the things it includes do not really fit into the game, but then again, it is not as if Troika's content was that high in quality in the first place.

Edit: in fact, Chefe is best ignored these days. When has he not trolled? I believe the ToEE thread with this exact same question is even on page one. And assuming it isn't, this forum still has a search feature, and he is aware of that.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
The removed level cap is actually optional (as many other notable changes, like full access on NPC inventories), again thanks to the magic of the Co8's Front-End.

Murk

Arcane
yeah the co8 mod bitching is so pointless, regardless, i did play my first time without the mod and only the level cap remover - no game breaking bugs were encountered

MetalCraze

Arcane
There was a custom Co8 release from one of the gamers with lots of retardation removed (though not all) just to make only bugfixes remain. It was discussed on the codex and the thread about it is on Co8's forums so look there - unless you want to see a retarded shit like Cloud's sword in your Troika game.

Murk

Arcane
'cuz if it sin there it means you totally got to use it

OH GOD THE IMMERSHUN WAS BROKENZ

Mikayel said:
'cuz if it sin there it means you totally got to use it

OH GOD THE IMMERSHUN WAS BROKENZ

Just ignoring stupidity doesn't make it not stupid somehow. Though with the ability to toggle what you want from the Co8 mod now, I think the problem can be solved pretty easily.

MisterStone

Arcane
I played it a bit too with the Co8 mod. THe main thing that pisses me off with this game is that you have to walk around town all the fucking time, and all of the dialogues in town suck rhino balls. Is there an easy way to just zip over to the shop you want to visit, or whatever? I only want to play the game for the tactical combat, all of the Homlet quests are pretty f'ing stupid.

Murk

Arcane
MisterStone said:
I played it a bit too with the Co8 mod. THe main thing that pisses me off with this game is that you have to walk around town all the fucking time, and all of the dialogues in town suck rhino balls. Is there an easy way to just zip over to the shop you want to visit, or whatever? I only want to play the game for the tactical combat, all of the Homlet quests are pretty f'ing stupid.

i just give my party enough experience through the console to hit level 2 and zip on over to the moathouse, none of the quests are worth a shit anyway

@e murrow: well yeah its still there but it hardly bothers anything, if you want to argue about stupid things that are present no matter what (but can be ignore) the entirety of hommlett and every npc in the game, as well as damn near every quest, is pretty damn stupid

the only quests i thought that were remotely interesting were the ones done in temple,and even then, there was hardly any political backstabbing and intrigue like i'd expect from a temple of PURE EVALLL

Jasede said:
I know Chefe is really just trolling since we had the exact same thread three days ago, but if he isn't - but he is - then one can just repeat what was already suggested: go play it with that fixpack; most people seem to be able to stomach it fairly well. I discourage its use because all the things it includes do not really fit into the game, but then again, it is not as if Troika's content was that high in quality in the first place.

Edit: in fact, Chefe is best ignored these days. When has he not trolled? I believe the ToEE thread with this exact same question is even on page one. And assuming it isn't, this forum still has a search feature, and he is aware of that.

Posting an RPG question = Trolling
Troika = Low quality

Thank you for showing me the light, yiffster.

skyway said:
There was a custom Co8 release from one of the gamers with lots of retardation removed (though not all) just to make only bugfixes remain. It was discussed on the codex and the thread about it is on Co8's forums so look there - unless you want to see a retarded shit like Cloud's sword in your Troika game.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Is there one that keeps Cloud's sword in the game?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
skyway said:
unless you want to see a retarded shit like Cloud's sword in your Troika game.

Yeah I heard some fuckers had added the Sword of Omens to the game too. Curse them to hell! :roll:

In any case, yes you can use the Co8 frontend to load up the game and it will put on some bug fixes (50 or so?) as opposed to the I don't know how many in full Co8 (think we've stopped doing the atari list now as the ones not squished need sourcecode).

Is there one that keeps Cloud's sword in the game

Dunno - don't know what Sitra's mod takes out in full. But that's probably your best hope for something closer to what some refer to as 'vanilla'.

----------

edit@ misterstone - if you're being serious, then don't do the quests?

---@ebonsword - hehe tell me about the nodes :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Carrie Underwood said:
Jasede said:

Posting an RPG question = Trolling
Troika = Low quality]
Troika never was good about quality assurance; but that's not the point: the point is that the non-combat content of ToEE is awful. And was supposed to be: remember, it's just a PC port of an old Hack and Slash D&D module.

I called it trolling because you're perfectly aware the exact same question has been asked at least twice this August; and even if you weren't, a simple search would have yielded the answer without the need of this thread.

Crichton

Prophet
kotb_cloud_sword_2.jpg

I don't get many good opportunities to post this.

Crichton

Prophet
It's some kind of magical periscope that allows you to use their "Search" code instead of the default code which is necessary for custom secret doors or something. There's a lot of work-arounds like that in KotB, including skills that show up on the level-up screen but not the character sheet and some other shit.

As far as I'm concerned stuff like that is just shoddy, it's like taking a perfectly good house and putting plywood over one of the windows because the blinds don't block enough light. Just put up with the frigging blinds, the plywood's ugly!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
You know, the Codex ads keep trying to lure me into entering the Temple of Evil Foreign Languages (TOEFL). Maybe that's where all the Cloud swor... pardon, guillotine blades are.

MisterStone

Arcane
Does anyone know where the patch that allows you to play TOEE without CD is hiding these days? I've got that goddamn bug where I can't loot any corpses, and the Co8 faq says this I probably need to do this in order to fix the problem. :evil:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom