Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Temple of Elemental Evil Storyboard - Chapter 1 - IRONMAN - NO RELOAD

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The game is good, and even the Hommlet quests can be stomached. But where the game shines is in its execution of the turn based combat and the interpretation of the 3rd ed rules. :bro:

Too bad they didn't get to make any more games with this engine. I would've bought them right off the bat. They really ought to kickstart that.

Dorateen

Arcane
Just stumbled across this LP. Good stuff!

I remember our party had Zert join for a moment, before the Paladin detected he was evil. That put an end to that.

Anyone else stock up NPCs with light-weight items such as hats and clothes, filling their inventory so they could not loot any of the treasure items? Take our share, will ya...

The game is good, and even the Hommlet quests can be stomached. But where the game shines is in its execution of the turn based combat and the interpretation of the 3rd ed rules. :bro:

Too bad they didn't get to make any more games with this engine. I would've bought them right off the bat. They really ought to kickstart that.

My friends and myself were looking for another game to all play together that would be similar to this and wondered why they never made TOEE multiplayer... the thing woiuld more than likely still be played. Imagine a party of 6, all differently controlled by your friends in turn-based sequence with all the options this game offers, man they dropped the ball there :( We were left looking to the Black Isle games of BG and Icewind Dale but the pause system they have is no turn-based system, at least truly. Yea, I would drop some serious bills on a kickstart effort for something like that, hehe :)

Whoa, this might actually go all the way as you've already surpassed the usual abandoning places. Good luck!

Hehehe, thanks tons :) I hope to do well too, but something tells me that I'll hit a point where too many high levels characters die that I can't afford to rez (due to my own house rules) and thus being replaced with lower level characters that can't cut it. We'll see though as the game is still in progress and I'm midway writing through the next chapter and then it's all fresh... :)

Just stumbled across this LP. Good stuff!

I remember our party had Zert join for a moment, before the Paladin detected he was evil. That put an end to that.

Anyone else stock up NPCs with light-weight items such as hats and clothes, filling their inventory so they could not loot any of the treasure items? Take our share, will ya...

Zert was evil? I wonder if he ever would have turned on us. I felt or feel that Raimol wiill, but not sure when, only because he was with those traders that are spies. Who knows though, but I'll be ready for 'em if they do. (I hope)

Chapter 10

[Last we ventured we lost Zert, a warrior that had been with us from the beginning. He died at the hands of the orc commander whose base we razed along with the others that were with him. What we didn’t realize was that bodies of the fallen decompose and sometime during the long trip back and the couple of nights we rested at the Welcome Wench tavern in Hommlet his spirit must have slipped away to the great beyond. After his burial we returned to the inn and fortuitously stumbled upon a dwarf by the name of Thorin Pax. As we drowned our sorrows and got to know the new party member we also looked at this curious book we discovered in the smith’s chest aptly named ‘The Book of Heroes’. We gathered our party and read on…]

Thorin Pax woke up in a puddle of his own drool accompanied by a splitting headache, something the dwarf was used to. The others were gathering their supplies together and readying themselves for the trip back to Nulb as that’s where the adventure would take us next. We had been there before, and felt a little overwhelmed with the experience of ourselves but having just finished up this side-campaign of raising the orc stronghold, we felt better prepared for this part of the adventure. Just as we were about to leave the inn, Stallen asked Xiamaru what he uncovered in the great tome he was reading. Xiamaru replied, ‘It’s a great work of art indeed this book. It talks about the tales of a great adventuring party thrust into an arena and I sensed a great magical nature about it as well.’
‘Interesting, let’s have a look at that, ‘ replied the bard. Xiamaru brought the huge leather-bound tome out and handed it over where Stallen began to read some of it…

And then suddenly…. SHAZZZZAAMMM!!!

“What foul sorcery is this?!” growled the dwarf as he fell down into a heap on the ground along with the rest of the group. We slowly got up and looked around at our new surroundings. We were in a giant arena, much like the one we just read about and there was a hooded figure standing in front of us.

Seeing as we were all set and ready to begin our trip to Nulb, we couldn’t be more prepared. We all agreed in compliance and unsheathed our weapons. This didn’t make much sense, but then not much did since we got back from the Hickory Branch. All we knew is that some great reward awaits us for defeating some challenges….how hard can it be? And these were always the famous last words…

No sooner did we agree to stay and fight than the gates on the far side of the arena opened up and three great owlbears came loping out. These beasts were the size of great grizzly bears with the ferocious head of an owl, they say created by some demented wizards. One is a challenge to the uninitiated, two is a difficult encounter and one you may not walk away from and three is a likely death sentence. This fight would prove our mettle.

‘Let them come to us! Prepare for their assault!’ Shouted Stallen as he began singing the tune the party knew so well to help them fight and defend. Thorin Pax, the new addition to the group, readied himself along with the others.

The owlbears charged and we were ready for them. We weren’t sure about the remaining challenges and so saved our spells in case we really got into trouble later, so no area effect spells were cast – this would be a pure battle royal with our dead allies to be used as meat—er–bone-shields. The first attack of the fight began as Thorin swung back his new axe with amazing skill and cleaved deep into the side of one of the bears drawing a huge mix of blood and feathers in a powerful gash.

Eldiritch let an arrow fly that found its mark as the shaft sunk deep into the large beast.

Until now, only one of the owlbears had advanced, now the other two charged in and seeing as how tough these were, we decided to use the spells. The air crackled with powerful energy and summoned pets appeared to help our cause just as a grease spell went off and the owlbears tumbled to the ground.

Thorin and Karish slashed the fallen magical beasts as the dead allies provided some targets for the enemies attacks along with the summoned pets. Kumari summoned the red scythe that floated above the grease and also struck at the owlbears as they tried to get up.

[Look above at the critical hit the scythe did to one of the owlbears killing it instantly. Also, Thorin Pax did amazingly well this first fight, almost outperforming Zert as a warrior even though he was only level 1. Above are just some of the hits and damage he caused. As always Karish helped take mighty chunks out of their health as well.]

Only two owlbears remained and as Karish swung back his mighty two-handed sword and almost split open one owlbear he was facing off against, there would be only one left.

Xiamaru was becoming more powerful, he could feel the energies just bursting at the seams during battle as he wanted to show off some of his new arsenal of spells. The improved magic missile would have to suffice for now though as three of the orbs flew through the air unerringly aimed for and striking the last owlbear leaving burnt tuffs of fur and flesh where they hit.

These owlbears were known for their strength and Pishella aimed to help the group with this last one so she cast her memorized spell known as ‘Ray of Enfeeblement’. The spell hit with success and you could physically see the beast get weaker as muscles shrunk and the thing was just about to attack when it became fascinated with Stallen’s playing.

The warriors gathered around the weakened and fascinated owlbear that had no idea what was coming. It looked on with glazed-over eyes at the party trying to make out some sort of thought, no matter how simple, when a great awash of pain swept over it and then nothing. The beast crumpled to the ground as Karish, Thorin, and Eldiritch all either unstuck or pulled-out their weapons from the dead beast and all that could be heard was the heavy panting of or party.

Karish looked around for more, ‘Is that all you got!?’ The barbarian roared and you were almost waiting for him to pound his chest. As if on queue, the hooded figure appeared from the shadows and congratulated us. He asked if we wanted to return from whence we came and rest or continue the battle. We unanimously voted to return to the inn and rest where we enjoyed a festive night together as the new group.

Thorin Pax woke up in a puddle of his own drool accompanied by a splitting headache, something the dwarf was used to. The rest of the group was ready to continue on and Stallen had the book in his hands all at the ready for some continued ‘education’. Once the dwarf assembled himself, the bard began reading again…

We appeared back at the arena as expected and again with the hooded figure.

The master of the arena gave us some riddle about the next opponents and we expected the worst. Our fears came true as far from the south came two large giants…

‘Fezra Kendle Aluuva RAH!’ Shouted Xiamaru from the rear of the party before anyone moved and the air became hot. The party ducked as a searing ball of hot fire no larger than a teapot shot from the wizards hands at the incoming giants and just as it landed between them exploded in a great ball of fire, wounding them both. ‘YEA! Now that’s what I’m talking about! Shouted the wildly happy wizard.

The giants hadn’t seen us yet, but now it was on, and since we knew we could rest after these battles, we let loose with all the magic we could. Grease, web, summoned pets, you name it, were all thrown at the two giants as they meant to kill and likely eat all of us.

We fired our ranged weapons from afar and kept up the assault eventually almost killing one of them.

It almost wasn’t fair, but then whoever made the rules for combat surely would have given the giants the upper hand if they ever got within range. That was the whole trick of it. Keep the beasts far out of range and tangled up in webs and grease spells and fighting beasts that we summoned to do them harm while we shot at them from a long range. Speaking of which, Pishella, with a mastercraft light crossbow, just let a quarrel loose and struck the near dead hill giant square in the head, a critical hit, which was just enough to kill the beast where it stood and now fell.

We kept up the assault, far out of range…

And with this strategy, easily dispatched the last giant this way. Once he fell, the party looked around for more and cheered amongst themselves just as the hooded figure, the master of the arena, came back into existence.

This time he didn’t ask us if we wanted to rest and sent us off back to the inn where we had another rousing night of excess and carousing. We had just one fight left, and with this last one easier than the first, we all secretly hoped the trend to continue.
Thorin Pax woke up in a puddle of his own drool accompanied by a splitting headache, something the dwarf was used to. The rest of the group was ready to continue on and Stallen had to book in his hands all at the ready for some continued ‘education’. Once the dwarf assembled himself, the bard began reading again…

This time it was night. Dark clouds loomed above and there was an evil in the air, a pit in the stomach and almost fear we could all sense but couldn’t quite put our finger on why. [What is about to transpire will be the most edge of the seat battle to date. As a player, more than once I saw the end and figured this would be the great battle that finished it all. I can remember my blood pumping and literally had to pull out all stops and as I write this and describe it, know that it will not do it justice.]

‘Let the games Begin!’ shouted the master of the arena and just as he vanished, two separate waves of undead appeared. Like small armies of the walking dead, they were made up of skeletons, zombies, lacedons and more and each one commanded by a wizard, one dressed in a blue robe and another in red. We unsheathed our weapons and the mages hands began to pulse with magical energy. The battle commenced…

We actually like these odds. We had Kumari on our side, drow priestess of evil and one that relished growing her army. We actually felt good about these odds as we started our attack. Stallen began singing as we heard a shout from the rear of the party once more. ‘Fezra Kendle Aluuva RAH!’ shouted Xiamaru again as a fireball exploded in their ranks and decimated many of them.

Stallen cast a silence spell at the blue-robed undead mage which disrupted its spells.

Eldiritch knocked an arrow and aimed at the red undead wizard prepared to loose an arrow if it were to cast a spell just as the undead ranks on the south side charged us and swarmed Pishella wounding her in the process. The undead mage began casting and Eldiritch loosed his arrow hitting the mage and disrupting his spell.

Now it was Kumari’s turn to act and of course she brought out her unholy symbol and commanded the dead to obey. Many of them did and joined our side which thankfully bought some time for Pishella to down a clw potion. We weren’t out of the woods yet and Thorin was busy hacking at the undead but his axe did little damage to the skeletons. He remembered next time to have the group buy him a mastercraft flail or mace for the next time they fought these undead. Just as the battle was looking good and going our way with many of the undead commanded or truly dead and only the two undead casters standing still it turned to the worse.

Kumari had brought two of her slave zombies with her and with Lareth’s mace of striking blasted the blue-robed wizard to a mere pile of bones. Just then a loud boom shook the ground and a new surprise wave of undead appeared at our rear. From out of the smoke two giant undead hill giants, likely the bones of the two we defeated earlier appeared along with 4 ghouls or ghasts and a black-robed wizard that looked more than powerful. Let that sit in for a moment. You had used almost all of your spells from the previous battle, most of your priests turnings and were near exhausted from battle when this appeared….

Karish looked behind him at the new threat and shouted to the group, ‘Stay together people! Thorin, keep the undead at bay below us and everyone else brace yourselves!’ Kumari immediately used one of her few remaining turns and the ghasts and even the black-robed wizard cowered in fear, but not the giants. Karish took out his mastercraft heavy flail and prepared to melee one of the hill giants, surely his toughest foe to date. Meanwhile, Raimol switched his bow out to a heavy mace and shield and with Eldiritch and Stallen prepared to face off against the other hill giant.

Raimols hunkered down, using all of his skill to turtle and go total defense against the hill giant’s attack and it seemed to work as the first two swings missed. The ghasts were cowering as Stallen slashed at them and Xiamaru greased the ground causing some to slip. A spiritual scythe came into existence and helped with the hill giant Karish was now pounding on as the undead hill giant methodically took out the commanded undead each turn. Thorin was working the whole southern flank almost alone taking out the few remaining undead that weren’t commanded or had regained their evil independence.

Karish took a mighty blow from the giant and he swore later it broke his arm. [Karish took a mighty blow or two from the undead giant and went from 58 to 19 to give an idea of the strength of these foes] Raimol too took a blow from the giant that almost crumpled him to the ground.

Stallen used the horn he found earlier to be magical and fascinated one of the giants that Raimol and the others were fighting to buy some time to heal. What made the horn magical was it’s ability once per day to summon a magical field of mist which would obscure opponents and give them almost total concealment. This worked for the opponents though as well so it’s placement was important and with that in mind, Stallen blew the mighty horn as the ground shook and a dense fog swirled into existence.

It was placed in such a way to obscure us as we fought the undead and giants and could likely be attributed with something else that saved us that day. Thorin was now facing off against the red-robed undead wizard and his axe was hardly doing damage but still disrupting spells and keeping him busy. Kumari moved in behind Karish and cast a spell of cure moderate wounds on the barbarian as he almost solely faced-off against the undead giant. ‘We’ve killed you once, we will do it again!’ shouted the barbarian as he kept wailing on the giant with his mighty two-handed flail but unfortunately missed many of his strikes. Thankfully, the giant did as well. Also to our benefit was the fascination of the other giant by Stallen as Raimol and Eldiritch healed themselves and dispatched the cowering ghasts.

‘I neva’ liked magic, ye bag o’ bones!’ screamed the dwarf just as a critical hit destroyed the red-robed mage and secured the southern flank of all enemies. Thorin began running back to help the rest of the group in the thick fog. Finally, Karish’s swings began to land and with one final blow dispatched the undead giant he almost solely took down. We had one left and things were looking good when the black-robed wizard, no longer fearing Kumari, came back to life as much as an undead wizard can. Bony hands crackled with static electricity and two fierce bright blue globes that were its eyes pierced its hood as he singled out Xiamaru.

**SCCHHWWWAAAAAAOOOOCCCKKKKKKKKkkkkk!!!!**

A lightning bolt shot out from the black-wizards skeletal hands and flew by Xiamaru turning his skin instantly black and singed and burning some of his robes as it continued by at amazing speed. [This happened so fast I couldn’t get a screenshot but you can imagine my surprise]. ‘I
want that spell!’ Xiamaru laughed manically, and just then we all remembered how unstable our wild mage party member was.

The remaining undead giant finally broke its fascination of our bard and began its attack once more as the black-robed skeleton wizard moved to the safety behind it. Eldiritch wasn’t’t having any of it and using his supreme agility tumbled through the melees of ghasts and the undead giant to face-off against the wizard. This was a critical move to hopefully break-up future lightning bolts or spells.

Raimol, Karish, and now Thorin squared-off against the undead giant and Eldiritch, using a mace now, slammed the undead wizard as it tried to cast another spell as Xiamaru downed a potion of healing. Kumari stayed behind the front ranks to heal any damage the giant caused and the other ghasts were all disposed of. This was it, we were close to victory and we were all out of spells and running on empty. Just as the undead wizard began another spell, Eldirtch came down hard with an overhead swing and slammed the skeletons skull down so hard that for a second it stood like some headless robed figure before crumpling into a pile of bones.

All that was now left was the giant…

Karish swung his great flail around and in a wide arc, just over the head of the dwarf, slammed into the giant and removed half of its ribs just as Thorin hacked and took out its fibula and tibia, the lower leg, as it too crumpled to the ground in a giant heap of bones.
‘What have I gotten meself into? Are these the battles I can expect? Hahahaha!’ shouted the dwarf at the end of it all just as the hooded figure appeared once more.

We all felt wiser from the experience and how we must have surely looked right then at the end of that fight must have been quite the sight. Likely, one couldn’t tell the dead from the living as we were all so covered in blood, dirt, grime, soot and debris that we relished the moment the figure would send us away and that he did…

We appeared back in Hommlet with a cloud of smoke to the startled surprise of some villagers. We all searched through our packs for the trophy we rightfully earned which didn’t take long for at our feet was a great tower shield with etched runes and obviously magical. Stallen, through his ability of lore and bardic knowledge, knew of this shield from tales of old and it was known as the Hero’s Shield, a defensive shield so powerful, legends were born about its existence. The only logical candidate for it which made sense was our new party member, an so was born the ‘tank dwarf’.

We all stumbled back to the inn and began the long downtime that would surely come to nurse ourselves back to health and discover what we’ve learned.

[Ding! Time to level up and here’s the honest rolls as they came:
Stallen 33hp to 38hp Huge!
Karish 56hp to 70hp WOW, this was great. A true tank now and one that could take on more punishment
Eldiritch 30hp to 36hp a great roll
Thorin Pax 14hp – 27hp AWESOME! Being only level 2, this worked our well
Kumari 23hp to 28hp likely the best she could have got
Xiamaru 19hp to 23hp again nice!
Awesome rolls, probably the best ‘group rolls’ to date, even better than before. After these rolls I felt like going to the casino and continuing my luck…

[Next time...Will we continue on to Nulb? Is there anything else that will prevent that trip because now we’re about as good to go as ever and I fear our hubris may be our downfall. Only time will tell as next we set out on the long journey to the grimy harbor town of decadence and discover what adventures await us there as long as they don’t involve fish heads … Stay tuned for Chapter 11!]

pajak713

Educated
After those awesome rolls I can't help but think that RNGod will turn his backside on you in another update and someone will die horribly. Preferably - more than one someone. It would be awesome to get a single crippled survivor crawling from the death fileds...

Ask and ye shall receive!

After those awesome rolls I can't help but think that RNGod will turn his backside on you in another update and someone will die horribly. Preferably - more than one someone. It would be awesome to get a single crippled survivor crawling from the death fileds...

Yup, just wait for a couple chapters to catch up with my gaming. Karma has a funny way of balancing itself.... ugh.

Fucking awesome.

Danka all!

As always, expect these to come at the very least once a week, typically one Wed. unless I have more free time. Thanks all and enjoy!

Chapter 11

[Last we ventured we didn’t really venture. What I mean to say is that we didn’t get very far and by that I mean that by reading a magical book we were transported to an alternate dimensions, a reality even, where we battled three separate waves of monsters to become the Heroes in the very book we read along with gaining a magical artifact – The Heroes Shield +3. We gave the shield to the new dwarf, Thorin, to not only help his survivability but truly make him the tank of the party. We needed to press on though, and Nulb was our next step, so after waking up Thorin, we gathered our party and ventured forth…]

The road to Nulb was long and arduous. There were countless ambush spots and the longer we travelled together as a party, the more our skills increased, and Karish and Raimol, our trusty man-at-arms, had increased those survival skills tenfold. We avoided an encounter with some ogres that likely didn’t have much treasure but the few coins they carried and were dead-set on arriving in Nulb. After a day’s travel we finally arrived, and while we could smell the town before actually seeing it, we dreaded what adventures this place would bring. We all had a sore spot still of the infamous battle against the giant Gar and losing Raimol in the swamps, but scrounging enough money to bring him back to life. Hopefully this time would be better, and we came better prepared for it.

‘Good old Nulb,’ Eldiritch almost hissed. He said what everyone felt and once they arrived crossed the series of rickety bridges to explore the whole place, something they never did their last trip here. Their first stop was what appeared to be the town smith, a fellow by the name of Otis, which sounded oddly familiar.

Even more interesting was his desire to join us for adventure. He claimed he was a mercenary who grew bored of the smithing life and sought the very same things we did.

We told him our group was full, but seeing how proficient he likely was, decided to fall back on him should one of us fall. ‘Always good to have a back-up,’ Stallen would say, and the way things had been, we all secretly hoped to never see Otis again unless for bartering.
We continued on and found another shop; an herbalist. The place was a mess and the old woman who ran it looked as disheveled as the store. She did have some very high-priced items though for sale and even a couple raise dead scrolls, again a mental note, and even though we didn’t want to purchase them now, knew where to find a couple should the need arise. ‘Yup, yup….back-up,’ muttered Stallen under his breath.

We searched the rest of the place and discovered the ancient shopkeeper had daughters that looked to be our great-grandmothers age, and after being shouted and belittled, we needed a break and explored some more of the town. It didn’t take long for Stallen to come across the brothels of ill-repute, this one known lovingly as ‘The Snake Pit’. One could go so many places with that name. Everyone was game to check it out, even Kumari, except for Pishella who chose to wait outside. Upon entering, we spoke to the madam…

‘When in Greyhawk,’ Stallen said to the group and after paying went upstairs and was missing for a good…

…five minutes until coming back down ready to continue. ‘I, ah, pumped the staff for information. Apparently business is slow and some guy named Mickey needs to pay the Madam. I also squared things away with one of the Madam’s prosti-…er…ladies, and everything is…sorted out. All in a night’s work,’ Stallen said followed by a wink to Eldiritch.

We all left and began exploring more of the town, this time the residential section, and came to the town elders house. It had looked like doing the favor for Grud actually paid off. Our name was well-known, and we were sure that helped us with the locals.

‘Sold for 500 gold!’ Preston finally said after a long haggle session with Stallen. We would have our own home now, a safe place to rest and store our equipment, and even grow old and die. Well, ok, maybe not the last part, but it was a start and a lot better than paying for rooms in the local tavern. We even saw Grud here…

We decided to see our new house and were actually surprised at how much of a good deal we got. Two chests, a kitchen, a large bed, and plenty of floor space for the dwarf to sleep. This would work out great, Stallen thought to himself, as he rolled up the deed and tucked it away. ‘OK, let’s explore the rest of this foul town and then wrap up at the tavern. Sounds good?’ Stallen asked to a healthy chorus of ‘ayes’.

It didn’t take long before we stumbled onto some gypsies. They almost belonged here, it was fitting, and after a brief discussion we discovered this Mickey character had stolen an orb from this gypsy. There was also a woman behind her, Selena I believe her name was, that was more of an indentured servant or slave, but looked quite capable in a fight. Her pay-off was only 500 gold, and since we were semi-loaded and feeling particularly generous, decided to free her, to which she asked to join. ‘Heh, I knew it. I’m sorry but we’re full for now, but should we need you later, we know where to find you.’ Stallen told her. Then after leaving, he would tell us for the third time how good a back-up plan was.

This Micky guy got around. That’s twice now he’s ripped someone off and people asked for our help. The big clue was that he worked at a brewery and since the nearest one was in Hommlet, we would eventually go back and search the place for the thief. But for now, we could actually smell ale and mead, and it was drinking time.

Only a stone’s throw away was ‘The Boatsman’s’ tavern and we could hear the boisterous shouting and carousing from outside. We could hardly hold back Thorin before walking in and looking around.

‘Arg! This be a pirates nest if I eva’ seen one’,’ Thorin muttered under his breath. I guess they were used to seeing dead people because they made no mention or show of shock when Kumari’s army of the dead shambled in the place. Stallen approached the barkeep.

After a long and hushed conversation with the proprietor of this fine establishment, Stallen came back to the group that was sitting down at a table. ‘And?’ Karish demanded through a foam-covered mouth as he sat down his pitcher of ale. ‘Well, it’s kind of like this. Eldiritch, you’re killing the tavern owner.’ was all Stallen said with a straight face. ‘OK,’ was the only reply the thief gave.

That would have been funny, except it back-fired. ‘I was kidding,’ Stallen replied, almost shocked.

‘I wasn’t.’ was the only thing Eldiritch said.

‘OK…well, here’s the deal. The barkeep wants us to kill the tavern owner, Lodriss, who we haven’t even met yet. He gave us a gem and a magical shield as payment and gave us three days. We’re not assassins-‘

‘-speak for yourself,’ Eldiritch interrupted.

‘-uhhh…ya. So, we’re not assassins except for Eldiritch, so instead let’s find this tavern keeper and play our cards right before taking the next step.’

Just then, a beautiful and well-proportioned waitress came to the table with pitchers in each hand, ‘You gents ok? Name’s Lodriss if you need anything,’ and she was off to another table. We all looked at each other dumbfounded for a good ten seconds before Stallen got up. ‘Well… it looks like I have to pump some more information…’

She had quite the store of goods too…

Stallen returned to the table and began to tell everyone of his findings when he noticed Karish was missing. ‘Uh, where’s the bull?’ Stallen asked. Eldiritch nodded towards the end of the large tavern where a circle was beginning to form and Karish, now naked except for a giant loin-cloth, was pounding his fists together, slowly walking around a tight circle with another large man dressed completely like a pirate. ‘Great, here we go.’ Stallen said as he got up and joined the circle along with everyone else at the table.

‘This pirate, Tolub, this is the guy Lodriss is seeing,’ whispered Stallen to the group as they gathered around. Tolub was a large man, not as big as Karish, but he definitely seemed more the pugilist, and just as Karish nodded in agreement to a fight, the pirates right arm shot out and connected with Karish’s face, stunning the barbarian for a second to a huge chorus of cheers. It was on. Right hooks, left hooks, jabs, upper-cuts, blocks, you name it, as the two fighters circles each other and shot out punches that often connected with their opponent. After a minute or more of this the two were covered in blood and you couldn’t hear the punches land anymore it was so loud.

It was getting close by the third minute. You could see Karish wavering and one eye was completely shut. The pirate though was also heavily wounded, and you could sense fear on the man. He wasn’t used to losing and this one was close. Karish was missing too often now. Tolub was close to finishing him when something snapped in the barbarian and a rage took over. Conjuring up some wicked anger, Karish came in with a left hook that was short, almost too short, but Tolub went to dodge anyways, right into the heavy right hand of the barbarian that was his real blow. *BLAMO!* Teeth flew out of the pirates mouth as he crumpled to the ground. The place was a circus with cheer and pirates and patrons alike went in to cheer on Karish. Below, on the ground, Tolub could faintly be heard calling for his cabin boy, the dentist.

The match was close. [Check out above. Only 8 more HP’s of damage (which was like 1 or 2 blows) and Karish was over. Such a good fight!] Tolub though was ever fair and after a few minutes of gathering himself, paid the barbarian his coins and we stumbled back to our table. Stallen filled the group in on what he found out about Lodriss and the group unanimously decided to help her, but later. We still had three days and we needed some rest now, thanks to our wounded barbarian. We stumbled back to our new house and crashed hard.

Thorin Pax woke up in a puddle of his own drool accompanied by a splitting headache, something the dwarf was used to. He looked around and saw the half-naked and barely-clothed bodies of his party and realized he must be in their new home. For a change, it appeared he was the first awake, then he realized why he was awake. The smell of eggs and ham being cooked followed with the slight sizzle of greases is really what got him up and as he turned over, was surprised to see Karish cooking. ‘What?’ came the only answer the battered and bruised barbarian gave as he continued cooking.

The group gathered themselves and decided to explore one or two more places on this floating dump they called a harbor town before heading back to Hommlet to find Mickey. They left the house full from a hearty breakfast and found themselves at an inn named ‘The Waterside Hostel’, which was just as much a pit of thievery and debauchery as the rest of the places they’ve frequented. Inside though, was a bit more villainy than most, and Stallen approached the innkeeper to discuss rumors and events. Wat was the innkeepers name, and after sizing us up, said we should check out the Temple and go to the tower behind it and let them know he sent us. He’d put in a good word, he said. Then we walked over to some thug-looking type named Rentsch and he claimed to do the same for us.

After a bit of smooth-talking, and using their dimwits against them, Stallen was able to pit them against each other. Time would tell if it paid off or not. Time to head off to Hommlet.

It was midday and the sun was out but we couldn’t tell as we travelled through the deep forest. It was early in the trek back to Hommlet to find this thief named Mickey and hope there was a little something in it for us when they attacked. From the giant looming trees above, five, maybe six, flying bird-like naked women came swooping down to attack us. We were unaware, unprepared, and formed a hasty defensive line. ‘Harpies!!’ cried Pishella as she let a quarrel loose from her mastercraft crossbow.

Stallen blew the horn of fog to rally the troops as Eldiritch loosed an arrow at one of the flying hags. Thorin reached for his side and took off the dwarven war axe he’d become so fond of these last couple of weeks – he would have to name her soon, he thought to himself, as he swung into one taking pleasure in the scream the thing shrieked out as his axe bit deep. Raimol was becoming a better archer and now was firing twice as fast, and while one would argue that he was becoming a better shot, at least he had two times to hit. Unfortunately, both missed, but thankfully many of their claws and bites did as well. They must have attacked with both hands, talons, and a vicious bite, because every time one of them attacked, it was like a whirlwind of sharp bone and sinew came down upon us.

Xiamaru was almost cackling with glee he was so excited. It was if he knew something no one else did and couldn’t wait for us to find out. When it got to him, he had just finished the incantation of his spell when the air erupted in a sticky web, pulling all the harpies down to the ground and entwined. ‘It’s killing time!’ shouted Thorin as he started hacking away at the stuck creatures. The rest of the group joined the chorus and what began as an unsure fight quickly turned into a slew of dead harpies stuck in a web.

‘That’s the last of them.’ Karish said as he cleaved a harpies whole wing off, not that it would have done much good since it was so stuck in the webs. ‘Search ‘em and let’s continue. I want to make Hommlet by morning.’ Stallen said to the group as Eldiritch and the rest of the party began finding gold coins tucked in pouches the flying hags had. ‘243 gold coins….not bad,’ cited Xiamaru as he threw the coins in the magical chest with the rest of the loot. With the closing of the chest and cleaning of weapons, the group gathered themselves and set out once more to Hommlet.

The group arrived in Hommlet the next morning without further encounters. They bee-lined it to the brewery where Mickey was rumored to work to put an end to the trouble this character had caused so many people and after entering the place, was quickly found.

Stallen accused the kid of stealing the gypsies orb along with not paying the Madam of the snake pit and a startling transformation took over. The young and innocent-looking boy had a sinister look come over him and threatened us to be quiet and told us to meet him in Nulb that night – what a double life this kid lived, and we would put an end to it. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t talk more about it, and while Eldiritch was about to stick his short sword in the gut of the kid right then and there, we decided to meet him back in Nulb.

The trip back was uneventful and we went straight to the Waterside Inn where Mickey said he’d be.

This kid was in deep and while it took everything in Stallen to prevent Eldiritch and Karish from just killing the kid right then and there, wiser heads prevailed, and Stallen decided to pay for the orb – a sum of 500 gold. We didn’t need the town coming down on them for killing this kid in cold blood right here inside a public tavern, Stallen would later explain to the group. If we ever found him alone maybe during one of his trips to Nulb or Hommlet, then that would be a different story.

We were just about to leave when Stallen noticed Rentsch was missing, prompting him to ask Wat about him.

‘Good, then he won’t mind us going through his things,’ whispered Eldiritch, and before he could be stopped slinked off into Rentsch’s room. Within, the place was sparsely decorated except for a heavy wooden, iron-bound chest that just begged to be opened. Eldiritch knew the type though, and as he approached, his hands went to that familiar spot on his side where he kept his masterwork thieves tools. Taking out the small utensils for the job, he began inspecting and as his hands almost caressed the chest, he was feeling for any irregularities, and he found some. ‘Trapped,’ he thought to himself as he slowly began feeling for the razor thin wire that would activate it. *Snip* came the sound as he disarmed the chest and then began with the lock. After less than a minute he was awarded with that wonderful sound he grew to love so much as the lock popped open.

‘This should help recover the losses from paying Mickey for that orb,’ the thief thought to himself as he slinked out of the room when the door guard wasn’t looking. Eldiritch rejoined the group, much to the apparent look of disdain from Stallen, who was tense the entire time the thief was missing in fear of starting a huge battle in the bar. ‘You’re lucky. Don’t do that again,’ chided Stallen to the thief, who only threw the large pouch of coins to the bard and simply said, ‘Not luck. Skill, my friend.’

With the orb in hand they left the inn and found the old gypsy in the same spot as before, telling tales and fortunes to the pirates and travellers of Nulb. When no one was around, Stallen brought out the orb.

Gypsy Mona was quite elated with her returned orb and while we were hoping for a free fortune-telling, we weren’t exactly dismayed when she didn’t offer it. We didn’t need to hear any bad news – we’d had enough rough times over the past few weeks and things were actually going good for a change. It was time now to make another karma deposit though, and only a short walk away was ‘The Boatsman’s Tavern’ where Lodriss would hear of the assassination attempt on her life.

The party knew what was coming and everyone readied their weapons to make them loose in the sheath and have spells at the ready. This could only end one way, and it would either be with Skole, the barkeep and his henchman dying or us, and we weren’t in the mood to die. Stallen walked over to Lodriss and began filling her in while the ratty-looking Skole burned holes in him with his eyes from behind the bar.

Karish watched Stallen and Lodriss talking and took his giant two-handed sword off his back and held it in both hands in front of him, crossing his body horizontally. He kept the blade sharp, and he had a feeling it would be biting deep into flesh soon, barkeep flesh. He watched the conversation end and then Lodriss walk around the bar and whisper to Tolub and a few patrons. One by one, then more, then an exodus of the patrons and within a few minutes time the bar was empty save for us and Skole and his henchman.

Skole knew the jig was up and gave a nervous look to his henchman who now had a bastard sword out and in his hands. Karish walked around the bar, closer to Skole with a knowing smile on his face, and Stallen approached Skole. ‘I’m afraid we’re not assassins Skole. She knows and everyone else knows. You’re over.’

‘Kill them!’ Skole shouted to his henchman as he leapt over the bar top to the complete surprise of Karish and was now within striking range of our casters. He wielded a long spear with amazing reach and would have to be put down quick. Stallen took out his horn and blew it with all the air from his lungs and the sound was almost deafening but rallied the troops. Xiamaru was out of range of combat and finished his spell as three magic missiles flew through the air blasting Skole in the chest, slamming him back against the bar.

Skole’s henchman was a good fighter. He used his bastard sword like an extension of his arm and took a zombie and skeleton out of the fight while Skole was being attacked by Thorin, Stallen, and even Eldiritch. Karish was stuck behind the bar and couldn’t get in any range to swing his mighty sword and was seething about not getting a piece of the action. Skole missed the dwarf a couple of time with his spear, likely because he was too close to use it properly, but also likely because he was no fighter. Just as Eldiritch pierced the barkeeps back, Thorin brought his axe in a high overhead hack and hack is what it did, burying itself in the chest of Skole, as he slumped to the ground, keeping the dwarfs axe with him.

Our team was beginning to earn ‘nick-names’, like Karish’s ‘Death or Miss’ or Xiamaru’s ‘Crazy’ or Kumari’s ‘Death Bringer’. Thorin was beginning to be known as ‘The Finisher’ as he was more often than not known to have the final blow on an opponent and this time was no different as he placed his boot on the dead mans chest and yanked his axe out with both hands.

Skole’s henchman was wounded and with Skole dead, what little fight he had left was drained. ‘I give up! I surren-‘ *Thunk!* *thunk!* *thunk!* he was cut-off as the shafts of Raimol and Stallen had missed the undead he was fighting and sunk deep into his chest, killing him instantly, as he too slumped to the floor. ‘Good job!’ congratulated Stalled to the team as Eldiritch began searching the dead for trinkets and coin.

‘I lost some of my … followers … that battle and what a shame it would be to have a dead body go to waste. I think it only fitting this Skole character join us in his afterlife, don’t you?’ Kumari said, almost to herself, as she walked over and began the eerie chanting to turn the dead into either a skeleton or zombie.

Skole came back to life in a punishment only befitting someone as evil as him. You could sense the anguish on his contorted face as he mouthed the words, ‘ Iiiii…..Obbeeeeeyyy’.

The group helped themselves to some bottles of ale from behind the bar and went back to their house, feeling all the more wiser about themselves, and while it would have been easy to tie one on here at the empty bar, they could use some sleep back at their house. [Level up time for Thorin and Xiamaru!]

Time to level up and here’s the honest rolls as they came:

Thorin Pax 27hp to 43hp AWESOME! He took the toughness feat which adds another +3 hp and his con gives him another +4 so he rolled a 9 out of 10 max. He needs it too if he’s to stay alive with this group. I know he’s been rolling good, but karma has a funny way of righting itself in this game and we’ll see what’s to come with the teams rolls…

Xiamaru 23hp to 25hp Yup, there’s a little karma there. I rolled a one with his con +1 mod got 2. I woulda traded some of the dwarf’s hp for his if I could
wlemoticon-smilewithtongueout.png
I gave Xiamaru greater spell penetration – it seemed the best fit for now, although the craft magical arms and armor looked sweet – I was afraid of abusing it.

The group remained in their house until morning, drinking around the table, telling tales, sharing stories of before they met, and generally having a good time. Things were going good and they did everything they could to put tomorrow out of their mind, for tomorrow they would set out to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and everything was about to change.

They awoke refreshed, and for once Thorin was clear-headed. Today was important and they needed their wits about them. They set out early morning and travelled only some couple of hours before they saw the great temple in the distance. They were unsure of what to do, how to approach it, and what they would find. They only knew of some tower or ruins behind the temple and to mention that either Wat or the now-likely-dead Rentsch sent them. They pressed on until the great temple loomed before them…

[Next time... We’re here. The great Temple is the source of our quest and we’re to investigate it by any means possible. The place exudes pure evil and while Kumari and Eldiritch may feel at home, not the entire party feels that way. There’s many ways to approach this den of chaos and going in blind will be a challenge. What battles await us? What treasure? What will we find out to report back to Hommlet and how will we go about doing it?… Stay tuned for Chapter 12!]

Check! check! Sorry, work and life been busy the last week or so but it's going to be slowing down a lot the next month which means a lot more time for chapters. I have enough pix and materials to take it up to chapter 14 until I get to play again, so expect those coming shortly.

Deitti

Augur
damn awesome LP, gonna keep checking this one out from now on. not to mention you actually seem like your capable of going through to the very end with this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom