Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

temple of elemental eevvilll (party questions)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Last I heard in regards to crafting, there were differences between what was in the DMG and what was coded into ToEE.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Hmmm. Didn't know that. Nevertheless it serves as a useful guidepost, if not a road map. Most of the times I was looking to craft something and couldn't if I looked it up in the DMG I could see why (level not high enough being the culprit most of the time). This may have been coincidental, but it was correllated every time.

Stark

Liturgist
Crazy Tuvok said:
Usually if you can't craft something it is because you do not have enough xp to spend (or depending on how far into the game, enough gold - but this is not usually an issue by about 3/4 thru the game) or more likely that you are not high enough level.

IIRC, it lists at the bottom what enchantments are available for the given weapon. If you are not seeing the one you want, it means you do not know the appropriate spell. If you have access to a Dungeon Master's Guide it lists all the prereqs for the most commonly crafted items (amt of xp and gold, what caster level you need and what spell you need). Someone may have posted a list somewhere, but as I have a DM's guide I have never looked. Sorry.

The bitch of it for me was that I couldn't find anyone who had a good scroll collection for sale, just the dude in Hommlet castle and his selection was wanting for what I wanted to craft.

thanks for all the info. i suppose there's a list somewhere on the net. I'll just need to hunt for it. might start browsing the Atari website.

the complexity and depth of this game is mind boggling. I can understand them being unable to put every detail into the manual but at the same time, a more casual, non-dnd gamer than me would have given up figuring out crafting long time ago. In fact I was close to giving up, and just play with the weapons they have in the game.

my party's now level 5, and I chose a sorceror instead of a wizard (cause it's less hassle to memorise spells), so my spell selection is very limited. it would have helped me immensely if i know specifically what equipment need which spell and allow me to plan properly when leveling up.

there are still options that i've not explored yet, options like cast defensively, counter spells, etc. I just discovered the wonder of "charge attack" and "5-foot-step". :)

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Your cleric (if you have one) can also craft weapons and may have some spells that offer enchantments that you want.
Crafting items is *the* way to get any good weps in ToEE. The ones my wizard made were better than any I found, and upgrading them was a hoot. Also, and I know some may find this trivial, I thought it nifty that you could name them.

Stark

Liturgist
I've been searching Atari forum and even google, but no luck locating such a list.

I did find Wizard of Coast website and downloaded some of their manuals (those that they put online) but again no description on pre-req for magical weapons.

I guess I'll just experiment on myself. thing is, I just need want a +2 greatsword and maybe another +2 mace for my cleric and +2 dagger for my rogue. yeah, that's about it.

I try not to read the forum too much. sooner or later I'll come across some character built that interests me and I'll be tempted to restart again with that built. I've lost count number of times I restarted due to this. So far I only completed the game once.

Sometimes I think ToEE is none other than a simulator to simulate out the various characters we want to try out. The fun is all in the experimentation. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Stark said:
I did find Wizard of Coast website and downloaded some of their manuals (those that they put online) but again no description on pre-req for magical weapons.
Don't know what you mean by prerequisites, but you need magical or masterwork weapons for crafting. There are some masterwork weapons in the temple (first floor), otherwise, you can get the Co8 patch that lets you buy any masterwork weapon.

suibhne

Erudite
Stark said:
I've been searching Atari forum and even google, but no luck locating such a list.

There's definitely such a list at the Atari forum for the game - I'm pretty certain I participated in that thread, and I know I at least referred to it - but it's probably buried over 6 months ago.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Ok, I knew I had a list somewhere on my HD, so here it is. First thing is the effect; followed by requirements for the effect sorted by level, feat, spells needed, and alignment or additional info (if any); and the last is the enchantment the effect can provide.

• Flaming

Requirements:
  • 10th level caster.
  • Craft Magic Arms & Armor Feat
  • Flame Blade/Flame Strike/Fireball

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +1
  • +1D6 of fire damage.

• Frost

Requirements:
  • 8th level caster.
  • Chill Metal/Ice Storm

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +1
  • +1D6 of cold damage

• Shock

Requirements:
  • 8th level caster
  • Call Lightning/Lightning Bolt

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +1
  • +1D6 electrical damage

• Keen

Requirements:
  • 10th level caster
  • Craft Magic Arms and Armor
  • Keen Edge
  • Slashing weapons only

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +1
  • Increases a weapon's critical hit range, i.e., changes a Longsword's critical range from 19-20 to 17-20

• Mighty Cleaving

Requirements:
  • 8th level caster

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +1
  • Adds one addtional cleave attempt per round

• Icy Burst

Requirements:
  • 10th level caster
  • Chill Metal/Icestorm

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +2
  • +1D10 cold damage on critical hit
  • If a weapon's critical hit multiplier is x3, then on critical it adds a 3D10.

• Shocking Burst

Requirements:
  • 10th level caster
  • Call Lightning/Lightning Bolt

Enchantment:
  • +1D10 electrical damage on critical
  • If a weapon's critical hit multiplier is x3, then on critical it adds a 3D10.

• Holy

Requirements:
  • 7th level caster
  • Holy Smite (character must be Good Aligned)

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +1
  • +2D6 against evil opponents

• Unholy

Requirements:
  • 7th level caster
  • Unholy Blight (caster must be Evil Aligned)

Enchantment:
  • +2D6 against good

• Axiomatic

Requirements:
  • 7th level caster
  • Order's Wrath (caster must be Lawfully Aligned)

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +2

• Anarchic

Requirements:
  • 7th level caster
  • Chaos Hammer (caster must be Chaoticly Aligned)

Enchantment:
  • Bonus +2

Note:

• Its rumored all weapons are susceptible of being enchanted with the Keen effect.
  • Flaming Burst is unreachable, as its been wrongly tagged with a 12(!)th level caster requirement in the game.

I'm unaware if Circle of Eight have fixed the above two problems, or if they were fixed in the second official patch.

Stark

Liturgist
There's definitely such a list at the Atari forum for the game - I'm pretty certain I participated in that thread, and I know I at least referred to it - but it's probably buried over 6 months ago.

I went over Atari's ToEE forum and browsed all the threads. I think they deleted off older threads so i didn't find the list i wanted.

I've basically resigned to experimenting on my own until Role-Player comes along. :D

thanks folks!

xemous

Arcane
is there any other towns apart from nulb and hommlet?
i up to lvl 8 now :D, still on the secound lvl of the toee
the game is suprisingly short lvl 10 being the max and only visited a handfull of locations and two towns
while the first, hommlet, was impressive becuase it was so big, the npcs were still boring, nulb is tiny, but the npcs are more interesting.

Stark

Liturgist
xemous said:
is there any other towns apart from nulb and hommlet?
i up to lvl 8 now :D, still on the secound lvl of the toee
the game is suprisingly short lvl 10 being the max and only visited a handfull of locations and two towns
while the first, hommlet, was impressive becuase it was so big, the npcs were still boring, nulb is tiny, but the npcs are more interesting.

I believe there're only a total of 2 towns.

there are some areas on the world map (ogre cave) that i did not discover in my first play through. I'm not sure if there are more though.

I found none of the npcs are particularly interesting, except maybe Elmo. this probably has to do with the limited dialog and variety of quests in general.

Anonymous

If I can remember right, the total areas are:

Hommlet
Nulb
Temple
Abandoned Farm
Guard Tower
Ogre Cave
Spider Woods
Emridy Meadows
that lake area with the big frog

suibhne

Erudite
The NPC backstories were mostly left out of the game - even Elmo's. The joinable party members are therefore rather dull, for the most part, and the other NPCs aren't any better.

The ogre cave only shows up as part of a quest for one or more of the elemental Temples. It's minor - you didn't miss much.

Stark

Liturgist
Hommlet
Nulb
Temple
Abandoned Farm
Guard Tower
Ogre Cave
Spider Woods
Emridy Meadows
that lake area with the big frog

thanks. in that case i think i've explored all the areas. occationally there're still some surprises. During one of my partial playthrough (didn't follow up with that team) I bumped into a bard in the world map and he offered to join my party. this didn't happen in my first playthrough. There's probably a mission associated with him? (I forgot why he wanted to join the party)

it's nice they have little surprises like these. at least things are not so predictable in 2nd play through. it's just too bad the NPC's are generally dull and just not worth the hassle of bringing them along.

oh, and in my last night's playthough i got the hill giant to join my party. it makes for laughs reading NPC reactions when i entered into Hommlet. :)

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Hmm, I'm actually thinking about playing through ToEE again, despite not being overly fond of the game, the fun lies in creating an interesting party. I'm thinking a neutral party so that I can throw in a good cleric, since evil cleric's kind of suck, a bard as party leader, two frontline fighters (most likely using two handed weapons, since there's little reason not to) and a spellcaster (sorceror or wizard). I''d like to find room for a druid, since I haven't really used them in the game, but I'm not sure of how good they are. A monk could be cool as well, but again I don't think it's a good replacement for a fighter. Thoughts?

Stark

Liturgist
If you're planning to craft armors and weapons take on a wizard instead of sorceror. You'll end up memorising more variety of spells and allow you to apply different enchantment to the weapons.

2 fighters are abit overkill, since both will be very similar in gameplay. why not bring along a monk or druid?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Azael said:
Hmm, I'm actually thinking about playing through ToEE again, despite not being overly fond of the game, the fun lies in creating an interesting party. I'm thinking a neutral party so that I can throw in a good cleric, since evil cleric's kind of suck, a bard as party leader, two frontline fighters (most likely using two handed weapons, since there's little reason not to) and a spellcaster (sorceror or wizard). I''d like to find room for a druid, since I haven't really used them in the game, but I'm not sure of how good they are. A monk could be cool as well, but again I don't think it's a good replacement for a fighter. Thoughts?

Yeah, here's one. EVIL CLERICS RULE.

The main problem with evil Clerics is that they can't spontaneously cast healing spells, but if you play your cards straight in battle, you won't have to. Casting Wounds can be very effective in certain occasions. But the biggest advantage they have is to Control Undead and fortify them with negative energy spells.

Clerics can double as Cleric/Fighters or Cleric/Barbarians as well. The former are very good if you want to give your cleric an advantage in combat, the later if you want to give him the ability to move further for things like, say, casting touch spells. A Cleric/Fighter/Barbarian isn't half-bad as well, and I think I'll be using one.

If you're going with Bards, try focusing on ranged combat with multiple ranged combat feats. You're likely not going to be able to take as many feats as a Fighter could, but getting a human Bard can give you one extra feat, so it's an option. I'm suggesting ranged combat for him because it enforces the support concept that Bards have. Not only will he be able to cast spells, pick locks and charm peasantry and other riff raff, he'll also be able to land some blows against distant opponents.

As for two fighters, try not to make them single fighters unless you're focusing on weapon usage. I found making fighters diverse individuals by branching off with other classes is FUN. If you're interested in making a fighter focus on a weapon, then you should take all 10 levels of Fighter so you maximize him. Here's an example build:

Fighter, Human

Power Attack
Cleave
Combat Reflexes
Combat Expertise
Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Whirlwind Attack

What weapon you focus on is up to you. Personally I'm going to try some reach weapons. The Glaive in particular seems like a good damage dealer, along with allowing for some advantage in combat because its a reach weapon. With the above, you could also forget the Weapon feats in exchange for Two Weapon Fighting and Improved Two Weapon Fighting.

If you want to give a Fighter some added bonuses, considering multiclassing goodness, like:

Rogue 5/Fighter 2/Barbarian 1/ Ranger 2

5 Rogue levels give you a 3D6 Sneak Attack, 2 Ranger levels give you Two Weapon Fighting and Improved Two weapon Fighting (along with a bonus regarding Favored Enemy), 1 Barbarian level gives you a bonus to movement and Rage, and the 2 Fighter levels can be used for weapon specialization. Don't forget standard combat feats.

You ultimately get a character that can possibly sneak, pick locks, use scrolls, have a bonus against certain enemies, move farther, sneak attack, and with the appropriate stats and items, KICK ASS. Make him Chaotic Good and take Exotic Weapon Proficiency and you get CHEESE.

As for Monks, I'd suggest taking all 10 levels of Monk. He really shines going full class. Elvess get a +2 to Dex (but -2 to STR), while Humans get an additional feat. Alternatively you can always take one or two levels of Fighter (which must be taken BEFORE you take any Monk levels, otherwise you won't be able to take any more Monk levels) to take some weapon specializations.

suibhne

Erudite
My half-orc monk kicked ass, with a high starting STR. He wasn't a major damage dealer, but I also wasn't playing a power-gamer party; my big front-liner was a Rogue/Ranger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom