Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

temple of elemental eevvilll (party questions)

xemous

Arcane
i just bought toee (fkn atari is so cheap they included the manual in a pdf on cd 2, that pissed me off) and im new to the party based gameplay

im used to stuff like fallout arcanum, were you make and worry about just 1 charactor

i keep thinking if i fuck up the party at the start and dont include 1 sorc 1 wizard 1 fighter 1
cleric at some point in the game ill get stuck and it wont work

i really just want a bunch of fighters and rangers becuase im not much on spells

anyone have any tips on builing a fun easy party,

Spazmo

Erudite
Fun easy party would likely be something like two fighters, a rogue, a cleric (you need healing) and maybe another fighter with a bow. Still, I'd go for a wizard on spot #5 because the spell system isn't that hard to learn and fireballs are fun.

Whipporowill

Erudite
The combat system is quite complicated, make sure to make the most of 5-foot steps and charging for instance. That really changed the outcome the first time I tried it. As for Spazmo's advice - it's sound, but you could go for a Paladin instead of one of the warriors if you're a neutral or lawful good party and want some extra healing abilities. And also, make sure to take that wizard or you'll be regretting it later.

xemous

Arcane
problems

my group

fighter master in greatsword human
fighter master in greatsword dwarf
a sorc i picked from the menu
a rouge
and a celric

there all lvl 2

the cleric healing is worthless and none of the fighter can plant a hit, they miss 99.999% of the time

im at the moat house, its its impossible to kill anything at this lvl

am i doing something wrong, have i gone to a quest were you need lvl 4 - 5 or something

and, this is silly since in the demo i could 'loot' but i cant loot in the retial, im using the secound patch

strange game

Greenskin13

Erudite
Here comes my baby.

I'm not a ToEE expert, but I suggest hiring Elmo. That crazy drunk will make mincemeat of his enemies.

miserychick

Novice
The new versions of DirectX have been known to cause some problems with looting. There's not a fix as of yet, but some have reported that going into combat mode allows them to loot. YMMV, however.

Other than that, my only real suggestion is to keep going with it. D&D characters are pretty fragile at low levels, but as they get more powerful, they can take alot more abuse.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It depends on many things like attributes, feats, equipment, spells used, and where exactly you are now. If you are attempting to take out Lareth and his merry gang at lvl2, you will lose, if you are trying to deal with the bandits outside, then you are doing something wrong. What's your sorc doing when the rest of your group is getting their asses kicked ? Daze and Charm work well. For clerics I recommend Bless, Summon Monsters with Augment Summoning if you can't handle battles without extra help. Also, if you are a novice player get Elmo, he is very good.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
i liked the following:

paladin, human
ranger w/ bow, elf
cleric of st. cuthbert, orc
sorcerer, elf
rogue, halfling

you get two pretty decent tanks, a bow turret and a magic missle and fireball spammer. hiring elmo is a pretty good choice with this party too.

xemous

Arcane
i handled all the bandits easily
the sorc fires magik missile and sleep is the best spell
the 2 fighers are usless, but when they hit they do good damage
the rouge, i have nfi how to use her, she cant kill anything, i only got her to open up locked chest and such
the cleric has only 1 spell for healing, heal minor wounds, which heals a single h/p, but my fighters die in 2 hits so its not worth much

i am lvl 2,

im an in the tower, i have killed most of the entry lvl stuff, come to the zombies and the green slime i die

i dont have anyone to help me im doing this with just the 5 party members

Whipporowill

Erudite
Set up the rogue with a crossbow or a bow, that might help - at least to some degree. Also, having a fighter with a two-handed sword is a bit risky at first - consider he doesn't get the benefit of a shield. What kind of armor are you wearing? Try to do all quests in Hommlet as that'd get you another level or so... and pool all gold to get your fighters the best equipment, all others will have to make due to start with. And don't forget to CHARGE (!!!), that's how I managed the moathouse. Especially the guys behind that door, nudge nudge.

... damn, I'm getting the urge to play ToEE again.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I had a blast with this all rogue party (masterwork items from the Co8 patch)

Dwarven Rogue - tank
Halfling Rogue - flanking,
Gnome Rogue/Bard
Halfling Rogue/Sorc
Dwarven Rogue/Cleric

Charm, Tasha's Laughter, Greese, True Strike, Glitterdust.

xemous

Arcane
im playing it on my laptop now to see if i can loot
as a lawful good group using some pre made charactors
ill be trying out both parties

using 2 fighters and a palain a cleric and a bard this time

see how it goes hope i can loot

mr. lamat

Liturgist
another good idea is to have your rogue sneak through emery fields and grab the green elvish armour. it's a real bonus for your tank and you don't have to fight the hill giant right away.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Or your bard can cast Tasha's laughter and that would be the end of the giant

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yep, it was very cool, I couldn't understand why my screen is shaking, thought that my graphic card is fucking up...

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Xemous, do not take on the moathouse too early. It seems as tho you should since everyone keeps telling you about it, but it will be tough early on. Do all the Hommlet stuff, level up a few times then go for the moathouse. *Nobody* hits much of anything at level one but your fighters will improve.
Take a spellcaster if for no other reason than to finally have a recent game where fireball is not only useful but as powerful as it is meant to be. Man I loved that fucking spell. All possible because of the sweet sweet beauty of tb.
Also don't forget about the good and neutral cleric's ability to spontaneous cast healing. They can use any spell they have memorized and convert it into healing and I don't know if it is a bug or what but outside of comabt they can do this infinitely - i.e. they never use up their spell slots.
The combat mechanics are really good. There is not as fas as I can tell a single wasted option. Get Improved Trip for example and watch the fun. Or prepare agaisnt spell. or approach or counter spell or... Use them all they are all very useful.
One last reason to get a spellcaster of your own making in the party - creation feats. The best equipment in the game will be the stuff you make on your own and you get to name it!
Fucking nothing story and deeplly disappointing coming from Troika in terms of roleplaying, but one of the best combat games I have played in a long time. Perhaps the JA of DnD.

If they ever manage to combine everything that was great about Arcanum (namely everything except the combat) with everything that is great about ToEE (namely only the combat) that will be monster game. Here's hoping such a game is coming after Vampire. Combat engine from ToEE +Arcanum + Troika = me happy happy happy.

xemous

Arcane
thanks for tips

just posting a fix for the loot bug, dx9.0c will cause the problem, there is no uninstall or rollback so you need to use dx retore, just google it and find a mirror

dx9.0b allows me to loot

afaik 9.0c is only usefull for the nvidia 6800 card owners,

/edit for spell

Jed

Cipher
I think I want to play through again with an eeevil party. What's the consensus on which flavor of evil (C, N, L) is the most fun, or has the best viginette/motivation, or the best ending or whatever.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I like the one where you were happily burning a church when you realized that there is another church you can burn. :twisted:

Seven

Erudite
For the tipic starter, I'd like to point out that Intelligence, charisma and wisdom aren't too important for fighters TOEE.

Re: Here comes my baby.

Greenskin13 said:
I'm not a ToEE expert, but I suggest hiring Elmo. That crazy drunk will make mincemeat of his enemies.

...if you can handle the voice acting...

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom