Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Team Ninja's Rise of the Ronin

Jinn

Arcane
Great to hear! I knew all the doomposting was just the typical Codex fudding itself. I knew Team Ninja wouldn't let us down!
It still seems like there's plenty to be criticized here, but that there's still a very solid game underneath it all. You can generally disregard codexian hyperbole whenever you see it - and you can spot it a mile away. But from what I've seen of the game, they should have approached the open-world aspect differently, and that's where the majority of the criticism here and elsewhere was generated from.

Spike

Educated
Great to hear! I knew all the doomposting was just the typical Codex fudding itself. I knew Team Ninja wouldn't let us down!
It still seems like there's plenty to be criticized here, but that there's still a very solid game underneath it all. You can generally disregard codexian hyperbole whenever you see it. And you can spot it a mile away. But from what I've seen of the game, they should have approached the open-world aspect differently.
Yes absolutely. At least this game seems to have actually good japcombat unlike the usual ubislop. Japan as the king of action combat mechanics has been well-established for decades and remains. I might enjoy the open world-iness if I am in the right mood even if it isn't an optimally good open world a la Gothic et al.

Jinn

Arcane
I might enjoy the open world-iness if I am in the right mood even if it isn't an optimally good open world a la Gothic et al.
Yeah, the open world seems like something I'll have a little fun with in the front end, but not something that'll sustain its enjoyment through the experience. I haven't heard great praise of things like exploration and discovery, which should be top priority in open-world RPG design. I'm someone who likes a little downtime between intense action though, so it'll serve that purpose for me at the very least throughout the playtime.

Modron

Arcane
I guess I haven't been paying much attention thought it was a fixed character with a lot of customization options ala Witcher 3 but nope first search result shows a youtuber making a black lady.

Jinn

Arcane
PC port when
Many more months. It'll likely be half a year to a year, but I'm guessing it's going to be like Nioh 1 and 2 and come out once all the DLC and updates are released. Buckle in for a long wait.

Suicidal

Arcane
It's probably gonna be a year after release like it was with all of their games that came out on PS first.

My main worry is that they don't do the stupid shit like Ghost of Tsushima where they force you to register on PSN to play the game on Steam.

Thankfully I'm not interested in GoT, but I am interested in Ronin so hope there is enough pushback like there was with Helldivers by the time it gets ported.

PC port when

Why did they make a game where people move like squirrels? Why not make something with graceful, realistic movements like Kurosawa movies?

And a combat system based on technique and skill, as opposed to reflex based twitch?

The best ones so far would be Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Warband, but even those are pretty simple compared to HEMA, etc. So lots of potential for improvement. As soon as they stop making those twitchy chimp-out games like the one in this thread.

Spike

Educated
The best ones so far would be Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Warband, but even those are pretty simple compared to HEMA, etc. So lots of potential for improvement. As soon as they stop making those twitchy chimp-out games like the one in this thread.
git gud

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom