Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TCancer Gallery goes live!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
haveyourballs.gif

That took me 3 minutes.
"Drinking the Kool-Aid"

The idiomatic expression "drinking the Kool-Aid" is a reference to the 1978 cult mass-suicide in Jonestown, Guyana. Jim Jones, the leader of the group, convinced his followers to move to Jonestown. Late in the year he then ordered his flock to commit suicide by drinking grape-flavored Flavor Aid laced with potassium cyanide. In what is now commonly called the Jonestown Massacre, 913 of the 1100 Jonestown residents drank the brew and died. (The discrepancy between the idiom and the actual occurrence is likely due to Flavor Aid's relative obscurity versus the easily recognizable Kool-Aid.)

One lasting legacy of the Jonestown tragedy is the saying, "Don’t drink the Kool-Aid." This has come to mean, "Don’t trust any group you find to be a little on the kooky side," or "Whatever they tell you, don't believe it too strongly."

The phrase can also be used in the opposite sense to indicate that one has blindly embraced a particular philosophy or perspective (a "Kool-Aid drinker"). This usage is generally limited to those in or commenting on United States politics, but also appears in discussions on computer technology, where someone who is a staunch advocate for a particular technology is described as having "drunk the Kool-Aid".

Do you seriously think we'll listen to you?
You're right, you aren't very bright and too childish.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
That took me 3 minutes.
I'm happy for you. I don't see what the problem is with RP's design or how long it took to make having any bearing on it. If he fixed the white background (maybe make it transparent?) it'd be complete and utter rockage.
You're right, you aren't very bright and too childish.
Or maybe the current banner is fine and frankly, I'd rather not be taking advice from someone who's only purpose on this forum is to whine and bitch about how immature and childish we are and how we're a terrible reactionary hivemind.

HoodRich

Novice
You know, if the kool aid guy was actually the susan face, and instead of a pitcher he was holding a pair of swollen testicles, and in the other hand a musket, it might just be somewhat okay.

But i like role player's logo better.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
That's a pretty silly stance to take. After all, what was trollish about my suggestions? That's why I just said that, "quite frankly," you're just too immature if you can't get over the fact that it was I who wrote it.
I don't see what the problem is with RP's design.
If I could tell it was done in less than 5 minutes, you don't think anyone else will? Then again, a site with the name Tacticular Cancer isn't really going to be taken seriously in the first place.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
If I could tell it was done in less than 5 minutes, you don't think anyone else will?
I don't remember how long it took shag to do the current banner, but it couldn't have been more than 15 or 20 minutes (I think I remember him saying such in IRC).
Then again, a site with the name Tacticular Cancer isn't really going to be taken seriously in the first place.
Yes, that's exactly why we're not getting any developer interviews, or preview builds or press copies to review. Dumbass.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Well, first of all it's rough, secondly the scheme makes no sense. it's just a pic inside of an obviously vector-drawn hexagon, and the coloring of the outside is too busy for something that doesn't have any logical sense of ordering, it looks like the dark bits were just added randomly, which considering he said he spent 5 minutes on Photoshop, that's probably exactly what he did.

The words are too centered, and yes the white background is bad. You don't want to split up the words to your site in the first place, on banners the eye shouldn't have to travel in anything other than one direction (left to right) per "statement."

You also have to keep in mind that the human eye doesn't go to the center of pictures, it starts to the upper-left of the center (as most people are right-eye dominant), another reason why the off-center text of banners works, and why you want the important bits to be above the halfway mark rather than below.

The thing on the flag is pretty obviously a cut and paste job and it wrecks the dual contrast of the original picture (red/black) by introducing three or four other colors not found anywhere else in the picture, and that original duality is a visual theme that you don't really want to interrupt because it makes your logo too busy (and, of course, leaves you with no visual theme at all).

For a logo, you don't want to go with a square because that doesn't really fit anywhere on the places you would like to stick it, you'd probably want to go with the banner style.

If you are using that just a watermark then you don't want any text at all on the logo itself, you'd want the text probably all together and below just the symbol.

Re:
Yes, that's exactly why we're not getting any developer interviews, or preview builds or press copies to review. Dumbass.
The only legitimacy you have is that you are based off the RPG Codex, right now your readership consists of a couple admins, me, and perhaps ten Codex and DAC people. Most of the posts on your forum are either by you, baby arm, or me. That is not being taken seriously.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
That took me 3 minutes.

It took me five minutes for a couple of reasons, chief among them that everything you see in there was basically drawn from inside the program as opposed to making a collage of readymade clipart. I have the *.psd file lying around here so if you want to check it out that's fine with me.

It's also subpar, or rough as you called it. I don't contest this; I wasn't trying to make any high quality images. As I said, it was just for kicks. I'm sure I could do better. Hell, anyone could have.

Also, the original Photoshop file has a transparent background. That *.jpeg has a white one because because I decided to format it as such.

The 'thing on the flag' is there at Naked Lunch's request as per his post, it isn't there originally.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
The only legitimacy you have is that you are based off the RPG Codex, right now your readership consists of a couple admins, me, and perhaps ten Codex and DAC people. Most of the posts on your forum are either by you, baby arm, or me. That is not being taken seriously.
Notice how StrategyCore.co.uk also has a very small readership, yet they're still a legimate and reputable site.

I'm kind of regretting moving to the RPGcodex because now I have to constantly put up with your bullshit. Ah well, I guess it was worth it.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It's also subpar, or rough as you called it. I don't contest this; I wasn't trying to make any high quality images. As I said, it was just for kicks. I'm sure I could do better. Hell, anyone could have.
Yeah. It wasn't anything personal and I wasn't trying to insult you. The image was subpar and Naked Lunch decided to defend it just because it was me pointing that out (rather than someone else), especially ironic considering you feel the same way.
I have to constantly put up with your bullshit.
Too bad a separate Tcancer wouldn't keep you away from the Codex.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Dilettante, all of you...

First off, stop this catfight: TCancer is a group of friendly and shy individuals. You're ruining our image.

Second.. off... I will incroporate Susan, and it'll be cool. Howver, I will change it, because I suspect that what you currently have is an emoticon from some fancy forum (kinda like this one from my RPGplanet.ru: ), so we'd better avoid plagiarizing.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Susan is actually an emoticon (D: or :susan: ) from Duck and Cover. We've been using it ever since the start of the site and we've gotten no trouble about it, so I say stick with it. Unless, y'know, whatever kazahk concotion you come up with is better.

LlamaGod

Cipher
in kazakhstan the only emotions they have are jew killing and rape, thus their emoticons follow.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Naked_Lunch said:
I'm kind of regretting moving to the RPGcodex because now I have to constantly put up with your bullshit. Ah well, I guess it was worth it.
We don't you know. Technically, under the Tacticular Cancer Charter and as part of the Memorandum of Understanding made between the Codex Network and TCancer, we have the right to split his posts out of this thread and move them to Retardo Land.

... or just delete them outright in any of the TC forums if we wanted.

... or edit them and replace them with witty insulting phrases.

LlamaGod

Cipher
DarkUnderlord said:
Naked_Lunch said:
We don't you know. Technically, under the Tacticular Cancer Charter and as part of the Memorandum of Understanding made between the Codex Network and TCancer, we have the right to split his posts out of this thread and move them to Retardo Land.

... or just delete them outright in any of the TC forums if we wanted.

... or edit them and replace them with witty insulting phrases.

oh snap

Atrokkus

Erudite
Or, better yet, if you are so sick of those posts, just *ignore* him, technically. There is a function like that in the forum, ya know?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom