Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TB strategy games W/O luck element?

It'd be nice to play some kind of a war game or something without any kind of die rolls or percentile chances or that sort of business. So what's the cream of the crop?

DakaSha

Arcane
I didnt want give a generic answer like that but hes right.. or something like MtG...
You know it is actually weird that there dont seem to be any.. would def make shit easier for the AI you would think

Orgasm

Barely Literate
DakaSha said:
I didnt want give a generic answer like that but hes right.. or something like MtG...
You know it is actually weird that there dont seem to be any.. would def make shit easier for the AI you would think
You are the dumbest newfag motherfucker I have recently seen.

DakaSha

Arcane
Orgasm said:
DakaSha said:
You are the dumbest newfag motherfucker I have recently seen.

:thumbsup:

DakaSha

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Please, grace us with your intelligence, o Orgasm of biggest proportion! We are agog to hear more.

In his defense I did just say MtG as a non luck based game in case you missed.. it's 3 in the morning, im buzzed and for whatever reason was thinking only of the actually mechanics with the cards on hand/board (the way battles are handled, interactions etc). I def would have called me a stupid motherfucker as well ^^

Still a retard for calling me a newfag though ^^ :-*

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a luck part to MtG in from of the cards you get, but the game it self has no real luck component other then the cards you draw.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
CrimsonAngel said:
There is a luck part to MtG in from of the cards you get, but the game it self has no real luck component other then the cards you draw.

Quite untrue, with the standard 60 card decks luck is more or less a non issue. Yes, you can be very screwed from time to time with horrible draws but as pro players have shown deckbuilding is way more important than luck. Come worst its about surviving until your cards come.

And to answer the original question: Civ 5 is, for example, very little luck based in combat. Its also shit. With big enough numbers of units those little rolls become unimportant anyway, so any earlier Civ game is a good example of what you need. But games without ANY rolls or random factors... Why would you want something as unrealistic as that?

DakaSha

Arcane
CrimsonAngel said:

Thats what I was focused on. The actual mechanics. There is no luck involved whatsoever (except with a very few cards..)
Still though the fact that games can be won or lost due to a good/bad draw makes an obvious luck heavy game (overall) and it was a terrible suggestion.

I still can't think of any PC-TBS that don't involve any luck and it really does surprise me

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
CrimsonAngel said:
Which is a rather big component, seeing as it is a card game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Games without luck component would be boring and predictable that's why everyone was adding it in.

Like in generic RTS where you know by heart which type of unit and how many of them you need to kill X.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:
Games without luck component would be boring and predictable that's why everyone was adding it in.

Like in generic RTS where you know by heart which type of unit and how many of them you need to kill X.
This.

Except for completely stuff like Chess, of course.

kyrub

Augur
Master of Orion 1, if you turn off the random events. This game is one of the closest to chess, in its genious simplicity, determined moves, limited options that don't deny game depth. The ship battle resolution and planet invasion uses RNG, but this is almost irrelevant in the bigger scope (the ship shoots many times, so the RNG evens out). I never remember thinking "I lost the battle because of bad RNG". Never in many times I played. Same with research, it uses RNG, but employed over many turns. It evens out, no real luck in this game. Just mastery. (OK, council vote, that one's cheesy).

Alpha Centauri would be a good call, if not for the very random worm spawning and worm capture feature. The battle resolution in SMAC is performed by many rounds of RNG, that makes its usage almost deterministic. Other Civ games are more random in combat (Militia against Tank issue).

Other than that, any RTS out there. Eh. :/

AzraelCC

Scholar
Advance Wars may have percentile chances, but given how large the factor of counters are in that game, it plays almost as if there is no chance involved. The later missions often become puzzle like because of this though.

Zeus

Cipher
Malakal said:
CrimsonAngel said:

Quite untrue, with the standard 60 card decks luck is more or less a non issue. Yes, you can be very screwed from time to time with horrible draws but as pro players have shown deckbuilding is way more important than luck. Come worst its about surviving until your cards come.

Cripes, this is like telling someone that no wargame has a luck component, because pro players's strategies are "way more important" than the random dice rolls. Yeah, obviously. But that doesn't mean pros and newbies alike don't have to contend with the random element.

Groof

Educated
Snakes and ladders has no luck component other than the dices you throw. Plus playing the game is performed by many rounds of throwing dices, that makes its usage almost deterministic.

Johannes

Arcane
You mean no luck, or no dice rolls? Ie. do you want to exclude games with imperfect information, think RPS as the most obvious example.

DakaSha

Arcane
im pretty sure the OP just means deterministic gameplay/mechanics.
And actually iirc C-Evo (once again) is deterministic, however i'm not sure if this only applies to the fact that the random seed stays the same throughout the game and/or things like battles are always resolved on some kind of point system.

Anyways as ive said before. C-Evo is the shit.. now that there is a c# AI template im hoping some crazy fuck writes an even better AI for it

PorkaMorka

Arcane
http://www.zatikon.com/
Non random fantasy turn based strategy.
Damage is fixed, attacks hit unless the counter to them is used. It is rather abstracted, units generally have some special abilities and the interaction between them creates the gameplay. IE: a unit might parry the first melee attack against it or attack any unit moving adjacent to it, so you would use a unit with a different sort of special ability to counter that.

The demo seemed fun but I don't think anyone bought it due to the bad graphics, so I'm not sure if you can play multiplayer. May be worth a download to take a look at it as a proof of concept.

http://poxnora.station.sony.com/index.do

Multiplayer turn based strategy with deterministic mechanics.

IE: Attacks don't do 3d6 damage, they do a fixed amount. Attacks don't have a 70% chance to hit, they always hit unless you activate an ability to counter them.

It works fine that way. However, this is more of a proof of concept than a truly non random game, as it has "card game elements" so you only gain access a certain number of your spells and units each turn and it randomly selects which ones.

Also, don't play it, it has "card game elements" in the pricing scheme as well, so the hardcore players have spent literally thousands of dollars on it.

DakaSha

Arcane
checking out zatikon
edit: Have to be connected to internet to be able to play singleplayer? lulz I may have lost interest already

felicity

Scholar
Vantage Master... again. The best AI I've seen. No luck is involved, as the AI depends on accurate predictions. There is a translation for v2.0. I recommend VM Japan once you're familiar with the game mechanics.

A game I've been playing called "The Spirit of Eternity Sword" doesn't use any random number. It doesnt even has an AI either. An AI would actually break the gameplay, which is interesting. Not really "cream of the crops", but its game design is innovating and the gameplay is fun enough. It's Hentai though, so it's in Japanese and has all these anime art style and long scene shits.

Shuma

Scholar
When I saw this post, I knew it had to be someone from the league. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom