Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I was about to post here. Good news for us fans!

We get dinosaurs and the ability to tame an angry, but ridable, dragonfly!

And some balancing to the degree that autoexplore deaths

I haven't had any issues in this regard for at least 3-5 years.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Really great news, I was waiting for this to pick it up again, the game is fantastic but it can get very repetitive to always do the same first half over and over... a new start is exactly what this needs.

notpl

Arbiter
I'd rather he replace the second half of the game than the first, but what can you do?

Bara

Arcane
At last closer to a new expansion to be terrible at, at last!

Maybe one day I'll get good at this game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't get me wrong, it would be fun to play a new first half after so many years of the original one. The map is so ingrained in me by this point I can navigate it with my eyes closed. However, I never really felt it needed something new, as opposed to the second half whose faults are always apparent in each playthrough.

Snufkin

Augur
It would be nice to rework some item drops, there is lot of cool items that would be more usable if they apear at lower char level.

Lacrymas

Arcane
A new patch dropped yesterday, but it's mostly bugfixes at face value. However, DarkGod said it's to facilitate the beta of the new expansion he's been working on for far too long. Soooo, hopefully new expansion soon-ish.

MWaser

Arbiter
TOME hasn't been that hard to beat on normal difficulty in roguelike mode since like 2015. Many classes have been buffed up a lot, and if you know how to build defensively and avoid potential instakills (since some classes have low passive defence, you have to use scouting skills to avoid getting killed by hero archers or psionics) then you can win most runs of the original campaign on normal difficulty barring stupid mistakes.

Now the DLC... who truly knows, the final boss of that one is complete bullshit. I still managed to beat him first try as a Gunslinger but the amount of times I thought I would die was beyond counting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The top 3 classes to finish the game in general on Insane difficulty are Oozemancer, Necromancer and Paradox Mage in that order (i.e. Oozemancer has the highest win ratio). The bottom 3 if anyone is curious are Doombringer, Rogue and Sun Paladin, in order of better to worst. Sun Paladin has like a 1% win ratio or something.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've been dabbling in Shadowblade after my successful Necromancer run and it's pretty spicy. The only thing saving me are the gazillion teleports I have. Damage is fine, but survivability is abysmal. I'm waiting for level 10 to unlock Time Distortion and get the damage shield. I've died once because I can't keep my hands off of the demonic statues and it summoned a level 30 mob while I was lvl 3 and I couldn't escape.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The top 3 classes to finish the game in general on Insane difficulty are Oozemancer, Necromancer and Paradox Mage in that order (i.e. Oozemancer has the highest win ratio). The bottom 3 if anyone is curious are Doombringer, Rogue and Sun Paladin, in order of better to worst. Sun Paladin has like a 1% win ratio or something.
Sun Paladin is so bad? I remember that, several years ago, after i beat the game on normal(rl) i started to play on next difficulty and he was the class where i had the most success - in fact i was on a winning run, baring stupid mistakes, before i got bored. Was Sun Paladin debuffed so much or EVERYONE else was buffed since then?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Sun Paladin in particular is a statistical outlier. It's by far the most played class, the only other class which comes close to it is Archmage, so that might be screwing with the statistics. However, it's not particularly powerful even in a vacuum. It's a melee class first of all, which already puts it in the "eh" category, but on top of that it doesn't have anything all that impressive. Once you blow your load early with Path of the Sun, that's pretty much it in terms of flashy stuff. The chants, while powerful when used by other classes, are essential for Sun Paladin to not suck outright and on top of that it has massive accuracy problems that are hard to mitigate. It probably isn't the *worst* class in the game (I'd argue Alchemist is worse in the sense that its main mechanic, the golem, is awful after T1 dungeons on the higher difficulties), but it's down there.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Would have been great if alchemist got reworked like necromancer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I doubt DarkGod is over reworking the old classes, but I don't know how he picks which ones to do. Alchemist would be a good candidate because it's not only kind of bad but it's also pretty boring imo. It's also the first magical class a new player has access to, so the game doesn't put its best foot forward. I suppose it's pretty uncomplicated, with 4 talent trees that are essentially the same, so you can't go wrong on normal difficulty with either one of them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
fJDN3A4.jpg

He did more damage to me than my entire life bar in one hit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
(since some classes have low passive defence, you have to use scouting skills to avoid getting killed by hero archers or psionics)
This is why I stopped playing the game. Is it technically viable to spend time every 10 steps to scout out the area all around you and make sure there aren't any random super rares that combine two different class powers in a broken way? Sure. There's no food clock. But jesus fucking christ am I ever not interested in spending that much time scouting in a game with more monsters and tiles than stars in the fucking sky. I tried getting by without it by making insanely tanky dwarven bulwarks and that got me further, but I still ended up dying to shit I didn't understand and had fully expected to faceroll without dipping below 90%. Too many enemies with shit that just disables one of your 36 permanent auras lategame, and if a single one of those is turned off and you don't notice, now you can just instantly die to whatever it was protecting you from.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I maybe said before, I think it's because developers get stuck in the rogue mindset. They think that the player has to die at some point because there's only 10 levels and 3 maps, or whatever. But sometimes they manage to grow a game into 50 levels and 15 maps and don't think that now it might be nice to play through it all in one go without getting one shotted by some bs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
(since some classes have low passive defence, you have to use scouting skills to avoid getting killed by hero archers or psionics)
This is why I stopped playing the game. Is it technically viable to spend time every 10 steps to scout out the area all around you and make sure there aren't any random super rares that combine two different class powers in a broken way?.
That's really only the case on Insane and above. Nightmare is quite annoyance-free. You have to zigzag dig on Insane too, it doesn't matter much what class you play, even the super tanky ones are vulnerable in quite a lot of situations. I feel like that's fair because normal and nightmare are challenging too, so it's not like you are going from story mode to zigzag digging and one-shot capable random archer bosses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom