Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Mustawd

Why aren't Codexers playing this game?

Huge backlog of good games. FWIW, I played the tutorial while drunk and found it p. fun. Might take another stab at it once I'm done with my current line up of games.

MWaser

Arbiter
I've beaten this game 3 times as an archmage, each time on roguelike but only normal difficulty.
I can say the game got certainly easier after 1.0 (my first playthrough was on 0.9.something I think, second on 1.1.something and 3rd on 1.3.something).
At least for archmages, many of the skills became considerably stronger (time shield, for example, used to work as a shield that delayed damage and dealt it later -> after 1.0 it actually absorbed damage and then HEALED you for the damage it absorbed as opposed to dealing it later) and more powerful artifacts got introduced. It's partially balanced by the fact the bullshit uniques started appearing in later versions as well (my memory is foggy, but I don't think they were present back in 0.9... I don't recall getting shot at by archer tornadoes or dealing with random psionic skeletons), but I still think the game is easier. Or maybe I just got better, since first time the game took me like 2 months to beat and tons of playthrough, 2nd time it took like 15 playthroughs and 3rd time I did it on the 6th.

Beat the game once on Nightmare Roguelike as a wyrmic (and xpac as one of the new orc classes). Tried to give Insane a shot shortly after and noped out of the game for good, 300 something hours though, my most played roguelike apparently.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I've beaten this game 3 times as an archmage, each time on roguelike but only normal difficulty.

Archmage is arguably the strongest class in the game. Man up and play on proper difficulty. At least on Insane.

Aholf Ditler

Novice
I usually play like a Bulwark choosing a Dwarf race, is a little boring because you are hours giving a receiving amount of smashes.:rage:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Played it for the first time today. P. fun game. Made an arcane blade and got my ass kicked on the second boss fight(some demon-like monster and his minions).

Keye_

Educated
Yes, it's pretty fun. Biggest appeal for me is trying out different builds and classes.
So far, I've really enjoyed playing Doombringer.
After 40 hours play time the farthest I've gotten is the
Orc Prides. The Wyrmic pride leader killed me.
Hoping to beat the game at least once on normal in the coming weeks.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Hoping to beat the game at least once on normal in the coming weeks.

Try Cornac Cursed, open Rampage tree from the start, Gloom, Blindside are your best friends. Repel, Surge, Cleve - choose at your own taste. Do not open Cursed Aura - too costly. If you survive first 20lvl - you will beat the game. Only clear quest dungeons - others not worth a risk.

Black Angel

Arcane
Yeah, 87 hours so far
and I died on the Dreamscape, brought by the horror hidden behind a vault at the first Pride I attempted when playing as Dwarven Bulwark.

I can't even try the Warrior class further than
Daikara, because I stupidly attempted the Temporal Rift instead of finishing the damn place first.

Probably gonna stuck with Dwarven Bulwark 'till I manage to finish the game once.

gestalt11

Arbiter

Archmage is arguably the strongest class in the game. Man up and play on proper difficulty. At least on Insane.
Dont listen to this guy, he has never even played the game.

Is this sarcasm or are you just ignorant? I have beaten this game on Madness (http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=42998) and AM is one of the only classes than can beat Madness. AM is the strongest or at least top 3 strongest classes.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've beaten the game 2 years ago on Normal twice, first successful playthrough was with a yeek mindslayer on adventure, the second was with an ogre Corruptor on roguelike. Took me Roughly around 100 hours . I'm yet to play the most recent add-ons, I'll give it a shot someday.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Beat the game once on Nightmare Roguelike as a wyrmic (and xpac as one of the new orc classes). Tried to give Insane a shot shortly after and noped out of the game for good, 300 something hours though, my most played roguelike apparently.

Starting Insane, especially on melee, requires some gamey chessing (i.e. drowning NPCs) but the asston of extra rares is worth it if you are good at the game because combat is far more interesting.

Keye_

Educated
Try Cornac Cursed, open Rampage tree from the start, Gloom, Blindside are your best friends. Repel, Surge, Cleve - choose at your own taste. Do not open Cursed Aura - too costly. If you survive first 20lvl - you will beat the game. Only clear quest dungeons - others not worth a risk.

I've read about that build before. I think I might try it when my current character eventually dies.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I can't really get into this game--I've played a bit as a cornac cursed and shalore berserker, about 5-10 hours each including getting used to the UI and mechanics and whatnot (several deaths of course). The setting seems kinda bland, writing isn't too good, and the mechanics are pretty MMORPG-y. It often sort of feels like I'm playing a single player MMO. Going from this back to CDDA is like night and day to me.
But everyone seems to love this game. What am I missing? Is this just a case of 'not every game is for every player'? I don't want to just shit on it, and I can see some merit in the tactical combat maybe--does it get better later, or with different classes? Are my class/race picks particularly boring?

Keye_

Educated
But everyone seems to love this game. What am I missing? Is this just a case of 'not every game is for every player'? I don't want to just shit on it, and I can see some merit in the tactical combat maybe--does it get better later, or with different classes? Are my class/race picks particularly boring?

The main appeal is indeed the tactical combat. Randomly generated combat encounters are the core of this game. I don't find berserker or cursed boring, but they are pretty straightforward. Try to play something like an archmage or a wilder class. Those have plenty of possible build options and require more micro-managing due to their squishiness. But if you're not enjoying the early stages of the game, you probably won't enjoy the later ones either.
It might just be that this isn't the roguelike for you. I haven't played much of CDDA, but if that's your kind of game than ToME is very different indeed.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The main appeal is indeed the tactical combat.

Huh. When I tried this game out for a while with a dwarven bullwark - combat was pressing a button in the direction of whatever insane amounts of trashmobs the game threw at me until my attention became so low that I was instagibbed by some boss or the other. Difficulty arising from boring me into suicidal unattentiveness. Seriously killed my interest in roguelikes but maybe I am just doing it wrong.

Lhynn

Arcane
The main appeal is indeed the tactical combat.

Huh. When I tried this game out for a while with a dwarven bullwark - combat was pressing a button in the direction of whatever insane amounts of trashmobs the game threw at me until my attention became so low that I was instagibbed by some boss or the other. Difficulty arising from boring me into suicidal unattentiveness. Seriously killed my interest in roguelikes but maybe I am just doing it wrong.
Play in a higher difficulty you cunt.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
New expansion, Forbidden Cults is coming up.

Forbidden Cults makes two new classes available to play:
  • Writhing One: Give in to the corrupting forces and turn yourself gradually into an horror, summon horrors to do your bidding, shed your skin and melt your face to assault your foes. With your arm already turned into a tentacle, what creature can stop you?
  • Cultist of Entropy: Using its insanity and control of entropic forces to unravel the normal laws of physic this caster class can turn healing into attacks and call upon the forces of the void to reduce its foes to dust.
Both those classes use a new resource called Insanity that gradually makes you both more chaotic and powerful as it fills up.

Forbidden Cults makes two new races available to play:
  • Drem: A corrupt subrace of dwarves, that somehow managed to keep a shred of sanity to not fully devolve into mindless horrors. They can enter a frenzy and even learn to summon horrors.
  • Krog: Ogres transformed by the very thing that should kill them. Their powerful attacks can stun their foes and they are so strong they can dual wield any one handed weapons.

Beat the game on Insane, btw. Playing ultimate edgelord hatemachnine.

Can't say I enjoyed it very much, so much bullshit.

fGoFCd9.png

Retarded enemies that reflect your damage 100% (my build had no counter to that), enemies that cast fire effect AND heal from sitting in their own fire, while reducing my 1000+ dmg to 100 points... Fucking hordes of inner demons. MEH!

AND TELEPORTING CUNT MAGES

Absolute bonkers to have 20+ hour run iron man roguelike w. cheap one shot kills (2000+ points damage one shots FTW).

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
New expansion, Forbidden Cults is coming up.

• Writhing One: Give in to the corrupting forces and turn yourself gradually into an horror, summon horrors to do your bidding, shed your skin and melt your face to assault your foes. With your arm already turned into a tentacle, what creature can stop you?
  • Cultist of Entropy: Using its insanity and control of entropic forces to unravel the normal laws of physic this caster class can turn healing into attacks and call upon the forces of the void to reduce its foes to dust.
Both those classes use a new resource called Insanity that gradually makes you both more chaotic and powerful as it fills up.

• Drem: A corrupt subrace of dwarves, that somehow managed to keep a shred of sanity to not fully devolve into mindless horrors. They can enter a frenzy and even learn to summon horrors.
  • Krog: Ogres transformed by the very thing that should kill them. Their powerful attacks can stun their foes and they are so strong they can dual wield any one handed weapons.

Beat the game on Insane, btw. Playing ultimate edgelord hatemachnine.

Can't say I enjoyed it very much, so much bullshit.

fGoFCd9.png

Retarded enemies that reflect your damage 100% (my build had no counter to that), enemies that cast fire effect AND heal from sitting in their own fire, while reducing my 1000+ dmg to 100 points... Fucking hordes of inner demons. MEH!

AND TELEPORTING CUNT MAGES

Absolute bonkers to have 20+ hour run iron man roguelike w. cheap one shot kills (2000+ points damage one shots FTW).

Just go to the console and type "iddqd", and then all your problems go away, just like winning the lottery.

Lhynn

Arcane

dibens

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just go to the console and type "iddqd", and then all your problems go away, just like winning the lottery.

Cute post newfag.

Do tell me more how great design ToME has compared to Nethack. Endgame of 20+ levels of overleveled enemies while you are level capped and can't get any new abilities. Autolooting and autoselling all the loot you get, as very few provide any valuable improvement to the stuff you've had for the past ten hours. Oh yeh, and random one-hit-kills if you are playing melee character.

The demon in my screenshot had 8k HP health and went 2k HP to negative before I could kill him. And it is not like I could use a wand, potion or an item to be creative in dealing with him. Nah, in ToME it is all about slowly cheesing the HP down and hoping you won't be crit to death.

Teleporting, damage immune, self healing bosses that chase you and one-hit you. After you've spent 20 hours to get to that point.

I'm sure you have great arguments to defend that, right?

The "endgame challenge" currently consists of spamming movement/phase/teleport runes/items and racing to the level change tile. Such hardcore, much hard.

And I didn't even get to the funny stuff, like archers getting killed by their own arrows. One-shot, ofc. Yeah, and fearscaped by a boss which has resource regen so you can only get out w. specific item/talent cat skill. Topkek.

I know, my fault for not playing an Archmage.

ToME has very strong early game, but the endgame is absolute trash. Sad!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom