Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Taken prisoner mechanic

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What other games besides Xcom 2: War of the Chosen and Jagged Alliance 2 have a captured/prisoner mechanic? With that, I mean that your men can be captured and later rescued instead of dying.

I think it's an excellent mechanic for ironman runs, and I wish more games would use it instead of death. It adds a lot of dynamics to the game and makes it easier on the consequences of a battle going wrong. Besides it's a fun mission type too - springing your men from capture.

mount & blade.

i agree, the days of "game over" must come to an end, recoverable failures must be the future. there's a mod for skyrim for this, instead of reloading on death it randomly rolls a different event, like "you've been robbed", "this random adventurer healed you", "you got thrown in this prison", "your precious stuff now belongs to the local pawn shop"... every game should include stuff like that.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mount & blade.

i agree, the days of "game over" must come to an end, recoverable failures must be the future. there's a mod for skyrim for this, instead of reloading on death it randomly rolls a different event, like "you've been robbed", "this random adventurer healed you", "you got thrown in this prison", "your precious stuff now belongs to the local pawn shop"... every game should include stuff like that.
Ah, yeah. I remember using that mod. It's excellent and adds a lot of fun to the "dying" aspect. There were even extensions to the mod if I remember. Also good call with Mount & Blade.

spectre

Arcane
Every enemy I've met I've annihilated, so I wouldn't know.

More seriously, apart from the stuff already mentioned above, the obvious thing to mention is Kenshi, and then there's Thief Deadly Shadows which had a prison you can break out of.

the obvious thing to mention is Kenshi
if only it had worked...
when it triggers, WHEN, you're brought into a cage and left there to rot. never seen a slave trader actually trade. only working slavery is under the giant statue, forgot its name, and only if you start here, and there's a thousand ways it's going to break.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
the obvious thing to mention is Kenshi
if only it had worked...
when it triggers, WHEN, you're brought into a cage and left there to rot. never seen a slave trader actually trade. only working slavery is under the giant statue, forgot its name, and only if you start here, and there's a thousand ways it's going to break.
I had some fun with it, being captured and convincing a few others to escape with me. But it's true that it seems rare, most times I'm left to die in the desert.

Mount and Blade was my favorite example of this. Gotta love those times where I kept like 3 nobles as prisoners at the same time.

Zlaja

Arcane
instead of reloading on death it randomly rolls a different event, like "you've been robbed", "this random adventurer healed you", "you got thrown in this prison", "your precious stuff now belongs to the local pawn shop"

Should also add stuff like "you've been tastefully raped" if played as a female and "you've been brutally sodomized" if played as a male.

Rosey

Novice
There's plenty of games right up your ally over on ulmf if that's your thing.

Victor1234

Educated
Rimworld also has the possibility that enemies will kidnap your wounded/downed dudes, carry them off the map and then you have to go to some other map location to rescue them. Sometimes random people will show up begging for shelter as escaped prisoners and if you accept them in, the dudes they ran away from will come and try to capture them again.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Rimworld also has the possibility that enemies will kidnap your wounded/downed dudes, carry them off the map and then you have to go to some other map location to rescue them. Sometimes random people will show up begging for shelter as escaped prisoners and if you accept them in, the dudes they ran away from will come and try to capture them again.
Yeah, that is true. Reminds of Dwarf Fortress that has similar mechanics.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Your spare ships can be stolen in Galaga, you need good aim to get them back without shooting them yourself. Getting ships stolen is a valid tactic for increasing your firepower since the rescued ship joins you.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ultimate General: Civil War kind of. There are situations where units surrender instead of routing, like when they're surrounded or in a badly losing melee. It's rare, but it can happen.

When your unit surrenders, the enemy can control it as a prisoner unit and move it behind their lines. You can liberate them by moving a unit of your own into the captured guys.

As rarely as it happens, I think it's a great mechanic and exactly what Total War style battles needed to feel less like massacres towards the losing side.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Ultimate General: Civil War kind of. There are situations where units surrender instead of routing, like when they're surrounded or in a badly losing melee. It's rare, but it can happen.

When your unit surrenders, the enemy can control it as a prisoner unit and move it behind their lines. You can liberate them by moving a unit of your own into the captured guys.

As rarely as it happens, I think it's a great mechanic and exactly what Total War style battles needed to feel less like massacres towards the losing side.
I think Graviteam Tactics and the Close Combat series has something similar during battles.

Victor1234

Educated

You'd really like Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients then. Routed units try to get back to their own territory, if your units are faster and catch up to them, they become slaves to work in your resource producing buildings (mines and so on), with a hit to faction relations. Usually only elites/super experienced units have high enough morale to get wiped out entirely before routing.

Sometimes they'll try to ransom them back, you can release them as a good will gesture, etc and sometimes they'll raid to free them. Needless to say the same can happen to your dudes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom