Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Take a 1.3 GB Shit on your Computer

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
<strong>[ Game -> Demo ]</strong>

<p><a title="FAGGOTS" target="_self" href="http://www.gamespot.com">Gamespot</a> is once again jerking itself off over the fact that it's scored an uber-exclusive <a title="lol" target="_self" href="http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/battleformiddleearth2-demo/">demo</a> of the sequel to one of the worst games ever released. </p><blockquote><p>
GameSpot is proud to announce the world premiere of <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/battleformiddleearth2/index.html" target="_blank">The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II</a>
single-player demo. Get your first look at this highly anticipated RTS
sequel, and unlock the world of Middle-earth as it was meant to be!
With a wealth of content taken from Tolkien's original fantasy novels,
you can now experience unseen lands and mythical campaigns that go
beyond the famous motion pictures.
The demo features a tutorial and single-player skirmish mode with
two maps. You'll be able to choose from two of the games' three new
factions: Goblins and Dwarves</p></blockquote><p>Dwarves? What the fuck are you going to do as them? Dig little holes and hide in the mountains while all the cool stuff happens outside? </p><p>If you scroll down a bit on the page you'll see a list of features that BFME 2 will "introduce", despite being standard in RTS for years.</p><blockquote><p>Control battles with all-new enemy AI, melee combat, and flanking, adding unprecedented tactical fidelity.</p></blockquote><p>The addition of enemy AI to the game is quite substantial, I must say. Though I did enjoy playing as Mordor and spamming orcs and then smash the enemy base with little resistance. STRATERGY!</p><p> </p>

Jason

chasing a bee
So I'm downloading the thing (only 7h16m to go) and I realized that this is probably bigger than the entire OS. My hard drive is so not going to talk to me in the morning.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Demos should be 500 megs, tops. When you're downloading 1.3 gigs, you might as well fuck it and just download the entire game.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Played it, and I must say, it's even worse than the first game (how is that possible?). For example, you can't put units on the walls.

Jason

chasing a bee
I tried to play it , but I get a CTD every time a map starts to load. I updated my graphics drivers, rolled them back, prayed to Lord Jesus, sacrificed a 72 year old man, and nothing worked. Non-stop party.

Levski 1912

Scholar
The 2 new factions are shit. Dwarves are basically midget Gondor soldiers (without the cavalry), and Goblins are Mordor, but without oliphants. Totally pointless.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Alright, I downloaded it (Only took like 45 minutes) and when I tried to run the installer...it crashed Windows.

This game sucks.

Jason

chasing a bee
Levski, since you're the only one with it working, here's a mod that should unlock all the races in the demo. The only catch is that some units and buildings might be invisible. Feel the mystery of Middle Earth etc.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Why thank you, baby arm. I would definitely install that mod, had I not uninstalled that 1.3 Gb turd off my PC after 2 skirmish games.

Why 2? Well, I lost the first one. Might have something to do with going to dinner and forgetting to pause. Didn't even bother finishing the second one.

Here's a list of impressions, as well as changes from BfME 1:
-buildings can be built pretty much anywhere, but walls look truly terrible- I want a fortress to look like a damn fortress, not a bicycle wheel.
-no units on the walls, and ranged units can't shoot over the walls, which makes them a bit on the useless side. I guess EA decided the overpowered archers of the original needed balancing...
-the new factions are reskins of the originals, with maybe 2-3 original units. A good example of rehashing is the Goblin Troll- instead of bashing, he now throws rocks! ORIGINALITY FTW!
-ship combat stolen directly from AoE3's chest of horrors.
-units are twice the size, but still know no fear.
-graphics are still the same as the original.
-the game still consists of massing, no strategy is involved, especially with the changes to walls.

Jason

chasing a bee
Believe it or not, I still plan on trying this out once I steal my friend's new laptop. I kind of like my RTS games to be simple and stupid, like Ground Control. Complexity works better for me in TBS games where I can stop and think and check the manual and stare at the wall. Memorizing hotkeys in a RTS is not one of my strong suits.

Almost forgot: BFME2 has officially gone gold will be on the shelves March 2.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Well, Ground Control was not stupid, but it was certainly simple in its own special way. Not having to build four resource gatherers, three power stations, two barracks, four turrets, etc, every round was pretty refreshing, though.

Jason

chasing a bee
Yeah, I guess stupid was a bad word for GC. I really dig the focus on tactical battles rather than resource management. That's probably why it's the only RTS I still play. Plus, I've been too cheap to go out and buy GC2 and Dawn of War.

LlamaGod

Cipher
S4ur0n27 said:
Is there a "Sauron" unit? That would be stupid D:

There was in the first game, and it was the big IIIIIIIII SEEEEEE YOUUUUUU omgscarrey burning eye, too. He pops up on the field and does something to units around him.

Section8

Cipher
Played it, and I must say, it's even worse than the first game (how is that possible?). For example, you can't put units on the walls.

Duh, that's the "unprecedented tactical fidelity."

Balor

Arcane
Something? It buffs them like crazy!
And reveals terrain, so much as I heard.

Anyway, had not this game been catered for idiots, it might be actually quite interesting for more sophisticaded audiences, but...

Jason

chasing a bee
"There was in the first game, and it was the big IIIIIIIII SEEEEEE YOUUUUUU omgscarrey burning eye, too. He pops up on the field and does something to units around him."
That sounds like the Susan unit. It can see you on any forum and pop up and surround you with smilies before you know what hit you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom