Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

TripJack

Hedonist
More people will play it and realize Alien Colonial Marines may not be the best thing ever.
meh, from my impression of the typical gog customer: a person who buys an old game on there has probably already played it

same goes for steam really, but on steam i guess you'll also have tons of steamtards buying it to boost their steamcounts

no newshit enthusiast is going to buy and play system shock, one look at the graphics and they'll run crying back to battlefield 3

Industry may notice still care about it and may copy elements of it for their new games. Etc
i say no chance of that, but hey i'm a pessimist when it comes to video games

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
meh, from my impression of the typical gog customer: a person who buys an old game on there has probably already played it

Like me. Except I haven't purchased a single game from GoG, as I already own all of the ones I want.:smug:

Lautreamont

Augur

no newshit enthusiast is going to buy and play system shock, one look at the graphics and they'll run crying back to battlefield 3

I think GOG reaches a strata of gamers who are open to older games or didn't have a chance to play them in the 90s. I confess I never played Darklands or the Realms of Arkania series until I saw them on GOG. Best $20 I ever spent online. Even if they've been available as abandonware, GOG adds to the incline by exposing these classic cRPGs. I'll wager more people today have played BaK, Darklands, M&M, and the Ultima games because of GOG.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I think GOG reaches a strata of gamers who are open to older games or didn't have a chance to play them in the 90s.

Yup. There is a gap in my games collection from about 1992-1994, when I missed games like Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor, Lands of Lore, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, and more. And now they are all available at GOG.
And in the era around year 2000 there was such a wealth of good games being published (an era that sadly came to an abrupt end when the accursed X-Box was released and games had to be consolised down) that I never had the chance to play them all. Many of those are also available at GOG.

LordDenton

Augur
(an era that sadly came to an abrupt end when the accursed X-Box was released and games had to be consolised down)
I remember how bright the future seemed back then. :( I went to an electronics store back in 2002 (I actually purchased "Arcanum" and "Sea Dogs" that fateful day), and saw one of those standalone demo stations for X-Box. I was curious, so I gave it a try. Halo was one of the demos. I started playing with that shitty controller sticking out. A few seconds into the game I started thinking to myself: WTF is this shit? People could not possibly enjoy this...

Fast forward 11 years... :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GOG won't sell a game from 1999 for 20 dollars. Not gonna happen.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I suppose, it (extra content being "well worth the price") was a misleading line.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, definitely not 20. 15, maybe, but more likely 10.

spekkio

Arcane
Infinitron said:
SS1 is more-or-less freeware at this point
So, when something can be leeched off the webz, it means it's freeware?
Infinitron pls

RPS interview said:
RPS: Will there be any extras included with the GOG download? Soundtracks and the like?

Rambourg: Yes, indeed. With the help of Stephen, we’ve pulled out all of the stops to make this a virtual collector’s edition. In addition to the soundtrack, the GOG.com version of the game will have concept art, maps of the Von Braun, an interview with Ken Levine, the first pitch document, and much more.
gOg pls

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Q: So, why did you make SS2?

A: I actually wanted to make BioShock, but the hardware constraints at that time has not allowed us such a unprecedented amount of interactivity and my bosses forced me to work with one of our already established licences, instead of trying something new. So, yeah, I'm happy with how it turned out in the end, but if you truly want to see the sequel to SS1 that I've always intended to make, play BioShock Infinite, in stores soon!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I think GOG reaches a strata of gamers who are open to older games or didn't have a chance to play them in the 90s.

Yup. There is a gap in my games collection from about 1992-1994, when I missed games like Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor, Lands of Lore, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, and more. And now they are all available at GOG.
And in the era around year 2000 there was such a wealth of good games being published (an era that sadly came to an abrupt end when the accursed X-Box was released and games had to be consolised down) that I never had the chance to play them all. Many of those are also available at GOG.
Same here, I missed a lot ot classics back then. We were too poor to have a computer back in the day, so I have to play these gems now.

Having it on GOG also means that you don't have to suffer with the patches, which usually still doesn't make the game work on new machines.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Same here, I missed a lot ot classics back then. We were too poor to have a computer back in the day, so I have to play these gems now.

Having it on GOG also means that you don't have to suffer with the patches, which usually still doesn't make the game work on new machines.

Yup. That actually was true for me until 1998 when I had my first computer. It was in 2001 I was made to realize that there were more games like BiA called RPGs. I must admit that it was difficult but worth the while to go back to older games and play them one by one.
In a way I'm kinda happy that I missed those games, because now, when the games released are shit after shit after shit, I can just fire up my GOG account, and play those great games. And it is a fresh experience.

Lautreamont

Augur
Well, they're all set for the bandwidth rape tomorrow:
SWX7Q5V.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Steam addition... with acheesements. The GOG 'extras' have always been underwhelming with stuff you can just download anywhere... along with my official DRM free backup GOG version should Steam shutdown. :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron said:
SS1 is more-or-less freeware at this point
So, when something can be leeched off the webz, it means it's freeware?
Infinitron pls

No, but when fansites that refuse to distribute the equally unavailable (until now) SS2 are freely distributing SS1, one wonders whether there is some tacit agreement here.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah that's why I'm wondering where the money is ultimately going. From what I understand the game has been in licensing hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom