Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Man, I really don't like the musical changes in this remake. The video (12:59) here shows that the really unique sounding soundtrack has been replaced by pretty much ambiance tracks (sound alright, but at least give us a classic option):

Ash

Arcane
Looks good, love the SS2 inventory in particular to increase the strategy and meaningful decision-making, but let me know when a decent soundtrack mod is out. Doesn't necessarily have to be particularly faithful, but uber-subdued minimalistic soundtracks are in most cases only what pathetic coward developers subscribe to so as to not offend anyone with narrow taste.
Please make sure to give us your review Ash. The Immersive Sim judge and jury.
Thanks for the respect, Sir. Dealing with nincompoops on here it's refreshing to see.

To be honest I may not be the best candidate as I may only get the game when it's discounted and modded. I am quite critical of the original System Shock even, and not its biggest fan, though the sequel is one of my favorite games of all time.
Over half of the level design is quite bland (other half is great). Linear planned obsolescence weapon progression, lean-spam, ammo everywhere and dumb AI ruins combat & resource management. Half the cyber augs or whatever are useless/underused/uninteresting. Cyberspace is undercooked. Soundtrack is charming but doesn't always sound good & is short by comparison to certain other classics of '94, not even providing a unique track for each deck (almost). And of course the controls are convoluted. Lastly they removed the RPG systems from the initial Im Sim concept of RPG/Simulation blend from Ultima Underworld which I find to be a shame.
It's obviously a great achievement for 94 but the end user experience by my standards is a little lacking in what really counts.

7.5-8/10 Doom is the better game by far lol

System Shock is the remake fans have been waiting since 2015 and it succeeds in bringing back all that 90s PC gaming experience. Including the outdated feel in an era flooded with greater and more attractive games.

68/100

An era flooded with greater games my fucking ass. The 90s is and forever will remain king.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3821451

Tomorrow is the PC launch of System Shock!​

Hello Hackers,

Tomorrow is the PC launch of System Shock!

This will be a longer update, but we hope to cover as much ground as possible, so that you can play the game tomorrow at launch.

#1: PC Keys Status​

For those of you who have selected a copy of the PC game, you WILL NOT have to purchase the game again. Many have seen a message that your Closed Beta key has been removed. This was a decision by our publisher.

Since Friday, eligible Kickstarter backers have been sent their permanent key that will unlock the full version of the game. However, and this very important, the keys will not unlock the game until the official date and time of launch, May 30th at 8 am PST | 11 am EST.

#2 Where Can I Find My Key?​

For eligible Backers, you should have received an email notification. Once clicked, you will have the option to “Get Your Digital Downloads”

ee21b0f7704c58c4bc5030230bf859e6_original.png

On the following page you will find the key “System Shock Remake Launch Key”.

4734c5323f915eb1e685fe25f8d9ec64_original.png

*PS. If you receive a message that says “System Shock is already in your Steam Library” you are good to go! The game will unlock tomorrow at launch.

56be83bbe4e74f3fc6bc36f830c449f1_original.png

#3 When Will The Full Game Unlock?​

The keys will not unlock the game until the official date and time of launch, May 30th at 8 am PST | 11 am EST.

#4.a I Ordered A Steam Version​

Backers who have requested a Steam copy of the game have already been sent a Steam key. If you have not received a key please use the form below and our team will review your order and send a key, if it has not been released to you yet.

https://forms.gle/Uq2kdtuxDLAtVtVC8

#4.b I Ordered A GOG Version​

Backers who have requested a GOG copy of the game will be sent the game at the time of launch; May 30th at 8 am PST | 11 am EST.

If, at launch, you have not received a key please use the form below and our team will review your order and send a key, if it has not been released to you yet.

https://forms.gle/Uq2kdtuxDLAtVtVC8

#5 I Ordered The Digital Collector’s Edition​

At the time of launch you will receive an additional two-part download that will include: the official soundtrack, System Shock key art, and the System Shock handbook.

#6 You Can Update Your Shipping Address​

To help our partners at Backerkit, we have unlocked the addresses of each Backer until July 1st, 2023. This will give backers the opportunity to quickly update their own shipping details. This is specifically for backers who have either recently moved or are moving.

If no changes need to be made to your shipping details, no action is needed from you.

After this date, all orders will be locked and no further changes can be made.

How To Change or Update Shipping Address Survey?

First, visit the following website > System-shock.backerkit.com

80bc29577bb2146382b7f9003a971ee2_original.png

Once you are logged in, select “Edit Your Address” on the top right.

ab74384334f4c7e2cdd4750d98a80581_original.png

Once you do, you should see an “Edit Shipping Info” on the left.

b2fd24fd8aa837eb439a0423df1580cf_original.png

If the updated address is correct, no further action is needed.

Finally, the console release date is still to be decided as we continue polishing work - we'll update you when we have a date.

Thank you

- Team Nightdive Studios

Star Citizen

Learned
Fucking amped for this and the negatives of reviews sound like exactly what I wanted. Sucks that they scrapped the OST tho. Big time. Regardless, it seems like I may actually get something new to play in 2023. Tall order, I know.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll probably pick this up... sometime this year. Not because I'm a cheapskate, but because I'm curious about the post-release support. There are some edges to smooth out.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
One of the few reviewers who have some clue about old material and roots

muh remake demade for "modern audience"
NPJj8BB.png

System Shock (1994):

difficulty.gif

for some reasons some reviewers "forgots" to mention customization of difficulty and keep calling it "a hardcore experience", some even call it "RPG" believe or not

should i play the OG enhanced edition before playing this?
You can check it out of curiosity, but it's not mandatory. Controls can be weird, but managable.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If this sells well (which I doubt but I can hope, right?) perhaps in ten years we can have a Terra Nova remake. Maybe there is an untapped market of zoomers that yearn for brain training that requires inductive reasoning in the form of a video game.
The main obstacle on the way of this going out anywhere outside of core audience of people who remember/like original is the price imo. And once it goes on sale it will already be too late.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
One of the few reviewers who have some clue about old material and roots

Few gripes:

Hacking mini game looks more annoying and drawn out than the original, and it got old fast there.

"Item Recycling" looks completely unnecessary. Almost like they played Prey 2017 and thought last minute to throw something similar in.

...other than that, it actually looks decent.

EDIT: Also agree with his opinion on the OST. Something like this would have been sick.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
muh remake demade for "modern audience"
NPJj8BB.png
I am fine with this. Let there be a retard difficulty for the brain dead dumbfucks and let the rest of us enjoy a game without incessant hand holding and figuring stuff out on our own. Personally I am not that great with shooter types so my personal choice would probably two. Though it depends on how difficult in practice it would be.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
But casuals have issues with custom difficulty - they have to admit they suck and need a hand with guiding lights.
They demand games to be made for them in every tiny aspects, even at the cost of being obnoxious for people with working brain.

toughasnails

I always find the double standards here particularly obnoxious. So many of these folks in game journalism and the surrounding ecosystem have some sort of background in humanities. Now imagine the response if you tried to convince such people how some difficult modern novel or some piece of abstract painting, where one needs to have certain background, recognize certain references, be familiar with the theory behind the work in order to able to appreciate it, ought have been made easier to understand, ought have been made accessible to "mere mortals". But these same people, who by the way are of the same sort that kept blabbering for decades now about the need for videogames to be taken seriously, to be seen as an unique artform, won't allow the same when it comes to games and will require that they compromise exactly that which is unique to them as a medium - their gameplay - in order to be made as widely accessible as possible.

And no, difficulty customisation indeed won't help when it comes to them. These options are for the kid who just wants to have fun, for some tired dad who just wants to let off steam, and for the genuine "casual" in general. For Teh Intellectual, they will be read as a judgement passed on them, as them being classified as bellow the normal, as inadequate, as inferior. No, they won't do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom