Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

PCGAMER said:
The situation wasn't helped by another bit of painstaking fidelity to the original project: A complete absence of an objective screen or mission markers. Instead, you need to pay attention to the logs you pick up and emails you receive to figure out what to do next.

Hahaha!

Beowulf

Arcane

PCGAMER said:
The situation wasn't helped by another bit of painstaking fidelity to the original project: A complete absence of an objective screen or mission markers. Instead, you need to pay attention to the logs you pick up and emails you receive to figure out what to do next.

Hahaha!
Ugh, apprently the mission objective marker is present on the lowest mission difficulty setting, but you weren't able to change it up until shortly before the release.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
apprently the mission objective marker is present on the lowest mission difficulty setting
that's a good change tbh. SS had very expressive difficulty options, which should be the standard.

Still not really interested in getting this, the movement speed and animations look really slow. What's the point of a military grade cyborg body if it leaves you less agile than an obese 40 year old ?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Metacritic, critic score.

image.png

The most Negative reviews so far:

TheSixthAxis said:
Behind the glammed up modernised graphics, this is still System Shock to its core, and there were good reasons why the sequel basically rendered it obsolete. The end result is a game that still ranks as a classic, but you must accept it on its own terms. If you want to explore the history of the horror genre then this is the version to play, but you might want to bookmark a guide to avoid System Shock’s most outdated elements.

70/100
Atomix said:
System Shock is the remake fans have been waiting since 2015 and it succeeds in bringing back all that 90s PC gaming experience. Including the outdated feel in an era flooded with greater and more attractive games.

68/100
Player 2 said:
A visually stunning but too faithful recreation of a cult classic held back by its dedication to the source material.

67/100
Slant Magazine said:
System Shock makes a good first impression, only for frustration to become its default mode once more and more of the station opens up to you.

60/100
WellPlayed said:
System Shock may come as a rude awakening for some, myself included. This remake of an early 90s sci-fi shooter has a heap of great ideas for its time. But its time has long passed and has little to offer new audiences except for pain, frustration, and a prettied-up history lesson of a game.

55/100
Checkpoint Gaming said:
If you don’t mind the sometimes murderous level of difficulty, tons of backtracking, and minimal handholding, System Shock may be a compelling piece of gaming history that is worth checking out.

55/100

So in other words... the game is good.

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Including the outdated feel in an era flooded with greater and more attractive games.

:what:

held back by its dedication to the source material.

:incline:

This remake of an early 90s sci-fi shooter has a heap of great ideas for its time. But its time has long passed

:nocountryforshitposters:
If you don’t mind the sometimes murderous level of difficulty, tons of backtracking, and minimal handholding

:greatjob:

Must be good if they hate it... :obviously:

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So basically they want a completely different game than the original. Why the fuck do they even play it then? Why do they want to? Fucking retards and it confirms my theory that the modern gaming industry has a a fanbase of movie goers not gamers. The stats about how many people finish games (about 17%) back it up even more. Gamers of today are not gamers of 1990 - 2000s.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I like how most of those reviews pretend they know what's what when it comes to original SS and then the author is of course some sort of meme soyboy that was about -2 years old when it released.

I often find "backtracking" claims for games like this dubious. You're unlocking new areas with new stuff in it. That's not backtracking, that's just called having a world that isn't completely linear. Sure you have to spend like 20s walking somewhere over ground that you've already covered, but is literally going anywhere and crossing any ground that you've been before "backtracking", especially is it enough to be a complainable offense?

In practice its not anything more notable than needing to walk back through Whiterun in Skyrim (trying to draw a comparison zoomers can understand). Elevators are close enough and quick enough as to be effectively fast travel and it takes less time to go to anywhere on a System Shock level than it does to get from a fast travel point in Skyrim to the other side of the city. Yet no one complains about backtracking in games like this, they realize that its just a world and they are expected to travel places in it.

OK, there's literally one point in the game where you need to go back to levels to piece together a single code from shodan's destroyed cores. Much wow. I'm going to guess the average game journalist isn't competent enough to make it that far anyway.

Last edited:

tommy heavenly6

Learned
These are 'negatives' that, when applied to media darlings (let's say FromSoft), become positives. Reviewers are morons. The problem here seems they didn't get a good bribe.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The logic is to work backwards: reviewer doesn’t like game but reads the room and realizes he can’t totally trash it. Reads how others couch their dislike of the game in their reviews, use the same critiques; rinse, repeat.

Many such cases.

Zlaja

Arcane
All those read like glowing endorsements. And big LOL at that retard who claimed that SS2 somehow makes SS1 'obsolete', even though the two games feel and play quite different. But in order to know that you actually have to play both games. Or not even that. Even just watching someone else play them will make that obvious.

Behelit

Augur
With its troubled development, I am pleasantly surprised to hear its not a bug filled mess. Even more surprised that its faithful to the point of critique. I normally wait for a sale but I support what Nightdive is trying to do; making a genuine remake. Not a reboot aping as one. If this sells well (which I doubt but I can hope, right?) perhaps in ten years we can have a Terra Nova remake. Maybe there is an untapped market of zoomers that yearn for brain training that requires inductive reasoning in the form of a video game.

Jinn

Arcane
ACG is a middling game reviewer at best, but sometimes he has good opinions. Also, posted earlier in the thread.

From what I've read and seen personally, this seems like the best outcome for a System Shock Remake that could have been. In this timeline, that's something to celebrate for sure.

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
There's a few things I don't like from what I've seen so far, like the useless intro, weightless combat, the excessive dramatization of audio logs, excessive animations. Oh and the visual clutter up the ass, and the toned down soundtrack. Still, looks like it might be worth picking up at a sale, expecially if they can fix some of those issues.

Ash

Arcane
Looks good, love the SS2 inventory in particular to increase the strategy and meaningful decision-making, but let me know when a decent soundtrack mod is out. Doesn't necessarily have to be particularly faithful, but uber-subdued minimalistic soundtracks are in most cases only what pathetic coward developers subscribe to so as to not offend anyone with narrow taste.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Looks good, love the SS2 inventory in particular to increase the strategy and meaningful decision-making, but let me know when a decent soundtrack mod is out. Doesn't necessarily have to be particularly faithful, but uber-subdued minimalistic soundtracks are in most cases only what pathetic coward developers subscribe to so as to not offend anyone with narrow taste.
Please make sure to give us your review Ash. The Immersive Sim judge and jury.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom