Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having never played the original ... I liked the demo a lot and I intend to play this, but they don't need my money and I can certainly get it a lot cheaper than $30 down the road. Been bitten too many times by devs who take my "get the game" pledge and then put the game on sale for half that price on release.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't plan to back this the way things seem to be going but maybe when it goes on a sale for cheap I'll get it.

Wonder if the backer audio logs are going to feature lesbians, gay couples, and :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:.
Would be funny to see what everybody says if that's the case.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1636121

1.1m Goal Reached!
Looks like the 1.1m stretch goal has been reached and we'll be supporting Linux and Mac versions of the game! Thank you all so much for making that possible! :-D We're working on bringing the demo onto OSX, but no concrete release date for it just yet. We’re hoping to having it some time next week if all goes well.

1.4m Goal Changes
We've altered the 1.4m stretch goal to something a bit more manageable from a game development standpoint. Before, it was vague and misleading regarding “RPG Elements”. That lead to a bit of confusion and unease with our backers, and to be perfectly honest, deep system features like that are pretty dangerous as stretch goals. We have an awesome vision for the game and setting a bunch of features we deeply believe in to a stretch goal stifles our own creativity since we can't fully plan for things.

Now, the 1.4m stretch goal is something much safer for us to scale if we don’t make the goal. It’s to add content in the form of more maps such as Groves, floors of Citadel Station, and Cyberspace content. This will make it better for us to properly execute on our core vision of the game, while still being able to offer some more awesome content if we hit the stretch goal.

8926b8be25a58a2d97feec7568dd8f94_original.gif

So the RPG Stuff...
As I mentioned before, we have a pretty good vision of where we want to take things and what RPG systems we’ll be leaning towards within our budget. Also, RPG systems can imply a lot of things, so I'll go over some core concepts that we're following with the overall systems design.
  • Stats are boring - Instead of letting the player feel stronger with stat boosts and level identification, we’re more in favor of ability and skill depth. As the player progresses, they will get more abilities/weapons, which will take skill to master (player skill, not skill points)
  • Things should make sense - We want to have vending machines, but they're mainly for food/drinks that the player can get to help heal themselves or provide a slight boost to their abilities. You won't hack a vending machine to get a gun, since why would a vending machine on a space station have a gun?
  • Upgrades are good in moderation - Throughout the game, the player will find upgrades to their abilities and find better weapons. We're not going to get crazy with this one since the point of the game is to have fun, and not noodle around in your inventory. If something is tedious, don't expect us to do it.
  • Multiple ways to solve a problem - We're going to assume our players are smart and want to find creative solutions to problems/enemies. We'll provide the tools/weapons/abilities, and the player will decide how they want to solve the problem given their playstyle.
I know that isn't very detailed, but it's still early in the game’s development, and things can change. Those rules above are what we're confident in delivering. At the end of the day, we always ask ourselves “What would Looking Glass do?” and strive to carry on their tradition of innovation and quality while being as faithful as we can be to the original game.

- Jason

Yeah, that sounds not so far from the original.

Cause stats are boring! :hahano:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jason Fader

Regarding stats, yes, there will be stats in the game. Kind of hard to avoid stuff like HP, damage, damage types, speed, etc in a game like this. The point I was trying to make is that it's more interesting to add more tools to the player's toolbox than to make a tool stronger. We'll do both, but we're going to focus on interesting depth without necessarily introducing overwhelming complexity.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...osts/1636121?cursor=13962089#comment-13962088

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jason Fader

Regarding stats, yes, there will be stats in the game. Kind of hard to avoid stuff like HP, damage, damage types, speed, etc in a game like this. The point I was trying to make is that it's more interesting to add more tools to the player's toolbox than to make a tool stronger. We'll do both, but we're going to focus on interesting depth without necessarily introducing overwhelming complexity.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...osts/1636121?cursor=13962089#comment-13962088

And that's why you should always say "attributes" instead of "stats".

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There already was plenty of upgradeable cyberware to begin with in SS1. How much more do they even intend to add?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1636816

System Shock Remix Album: Zardonic; Sound Design Livestream
Posted by Jonathan Peros

Hey again! It’s Jonathan (audio) here, with another announcement for our System Shock remix stretch goal! To recap, the $1.9m stretch goal for the project is to have the soundtrack from System Shock 1 remixed by a roster of fantastic musicians to be released along with the game. There is also an achievement in which we will implement these remixes as an alternate soundtrack for the game. We are making good progress in this last week of the Kickstarter, and if you folks keep spreading the word, we can definitely make this happen! Recently I announced the involvement of Celldweller, Blue Stahli, zircon, and Robotkid; now I’m happy to announce:

d9338e9d2733d27b290c5ff674831c32_original.png

Zardonic
Zardonic is a keyboardist, DJ, composer, producer and remixer best known for his Rock infused EDM, seamlessly encompassing Glitch Hop, Breakbeat, Electro House, Dubstep, Drum & Bass and Hardcore Techno with shredding Metal guitars and commanding vocals. Having remixed crème de la crème Industrial rock pioneers Nine Inch Nails, Billboard top charters Pop Evil, Norwegian black metallers Gorgoroth, Zardonic represents an undeniable, threatening, genre-defying force that relentlessly pushes all boundaries.

His heavy mixture of distorted guitars and electronic sounds will bring the industrial rock style of much of the original System Shock to a new level of intense. Just like the original System Shock, Zardonic rejects all standards of the mainstream, never settles for any rules, and pioneers a unique sound, setting a new standard for future music. And let’s be frank: with that mask of his, he looks like he would get along great with SHODAN. :)

7c95bb5e1a0371ae5e1506f75350d2f7_original.jpg

For more information on Zardonic, visit: https://www.facebook.com/zardonic

Sound design Livestream (achievement)
You guys have also managed to get yourself another achievement! Great job! As such, you guys get to have a cozy little time with me on our Twitch stream while I do some sound design for System Shock! I’ll be streaming next Tuesday (July 26) at 6pm PST. Hopefully my new synth modules come in the mail before then, so we can explore them together!

Go ahead and follow the Nightdive Studios Twitch page!
c4ebc31b1626e8a3ead795681eb78393_original.png

You guys have managed to unlock a couple more achievements, too! Stay tuned for info on these as well, and keep the achievements coming to unlock some more cool rewards!!

39317d2e0b7b0e8f8694f832e3184083_original.png

82d908286b35528ad58520b9fa3e7ac4_original.png

Keep up the awesome work! Share the project and get word out however you can!

-Jonathan

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
GOG Q&A with Stephen Kick: https://af.gog.com/news/system_talk...tem_shock_kickstarter_huge_sale?as=1649904300

How did you choose System Shock for a remake?

Once we had acquired the rights to the System Shock franchise we worked with a SystemShock.org modder to create the Enhanced Edition we eventually released on GOG.com. What they were able to accomplish was nothing short of amazing - with the addition of mouselook, higher resolution support, and some bug fixes we knew the game would be much more accessible to a wider audience, but at the same time we began to recognize the potential for creating a remake from the ground up. The game design, narrative, and pacing all withstood the test of time and we knew that by translating those timeless features into a new engine and recreating the iconic look of Citadel Station within it we’d have something very special. We started with a simple prototype to experiment and once we began to revisit the enemies we brought Robb Waters (the original concept artist) on board to breathe new life into his oldest creations. Momentum started to build and it was decided that remaking the entire game would be the next evolutionary step for not only System Shock, but for Nightdive as well.

Apart from the visual and technical upgrade, what element of System Shock are you most excited to re-touch?

I think the greatest obstacle new players have when first experiencing System Shock is the amount of information thrown at them from the very start. You enter your name, select a difficulty level and bam! You’re hit with all these red boxes covering the screen with descriptions of each area of the UI which is also taking up 75% of the screen. Going back and streamlining that experience and introducing the player to each of those elements in meaningful ways that’s conducive with the overall design is what I’m really excited about. It’s going to be a huge challenge to make all the various systems that are integral to the experience easy to understand and access, but once we solve that problem the player will be able to focus on the game itself from the outset instead of that initial feeling of being overwhelmed with information. I’m also very excited at the potential of adding new, never before seen areas to Citadel Station and re-working and modifying existing areas to make them more believable. I think that’s one advantage Shock 2 has over the original. Many of the decks on board the Von Braun feel like lived-in spaces where the crew existed and went about their duties before tragedy struck. I really want to bring that sense of depth and atmosphere to the many locations on board Citadel Station.

Gamers are concerned that the ambitious stretch goals will add stuff to the game which will somewhat change the original's DNA. What's your take on these additions, as well as the feedback?

These proposed changes to the existing foundation of the game won’t alter the experience in a dramatic way - for example we want to make sure that the roleplaying aspect of the game comes naturally to the player and that we don’t force them to choose a role from the outset like in Shock 2 and have that dictate the experience. They should feel free to experiment with the mechanics in the game and not feel penalized for a prior choice should their play style evolve and change throughout the game. If you want to take a more stealthy approach and focus on hacking and avoiding combat our system will reward you for that and make you more proficient in those skills. It’s more of a behind the scenes approach that won’t take you out of the game for an extended period of time, forcing you to think about where to put skill points. As for the feedback, it’s justified. As soon as you start talking about messing with the formula of a beloved franchise you can see the torches being lit in the distance. We want to add our own unique touch to the game, but it won’t in any way violate what’s been established or change the basic foundation of the game.

The head of Kickstarter's gaming department recently said that "Kickstarter fatigue only lasts until someone sees their favorite game pop up". Was that ever a concern for you, that people are done with Kickstarter?

Ever since Double Fine launched their Kickstarter I thought there was endless potential for crowdfunding and it’s been very interesting watching the scene evolve over the years since then. It has gradually become a tumultuous place where backer confidence and patience has been severely tested which was something I was completely aware of when considering Kickstarter as our fund raising platform. I knew we’d have to do something different in order to rebuild that confidence and show that we weren’t just talk, so we did what any serious developer looking for funding would do - build a demo/prototype that would show our understanding of the IP and prove that we’ve put some skin in the game and were ready to start development. This wasn’t just an idea, it was real, and you can play it right now before you even consider backing the project. I think this was the key towards our success and I think future Kickstarters will have to consider releasing a demo to the public before asking for funding.

How do you feel about fan response to the announcement and subsequent success of the Kickstarter campaign?

It’s been pretty amazing - I think the most fascinating thing for the team has been watching the hundreds of videos that started appearing on youtube of people playing the demo. The general consensus has been overwhelmingly positive and that’s really motivated us to go above and beyond as we get further into development. We reached our $900K goal in a very short amount of time and what else can I say? We’ve been overwhelmed by the support we’ve received and can’t wait to deliver an experience that captures the essence of what made System Shock so revolutionary. The Kickstarter campaign isn’t over quite yet, but once it’s done the real fun begins :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
How did you choose System Shock for a remake?

Once we had acquired the rights to the System Shock franchise we worked with a SystemShock.org modder to create the Enhanced Edition we eventually released on GOG.com. What they were able to accomplish was nothing short of amazing - with the addition of mouselook, higher resolution support, and some bug fixes we knew the game would be much more accessible to a wider audience, but at the same time we began to recognize the potential for creating a remake from the ground up. The game design, narrative, and pacing all withstood the test of time and we knew that by translating those timeless features into a new engine and recreating the iconic look of Citadel Station within it we’d have something very special. We started with a simple prototype to experiment and once we began to revisit the enemies we brought Robb Waters (the original concept artist) on board to breathe new life into his oldest creations. Momentum started to build and it was decided that remaking the entire game would be the next evolutionary step for not only System Shock, but for Nightdive as well.

"Worked with" - right. ZylonBane will have a field day with this one.

Gamers are concerned that the ambitious stretch goals will add stuff to the game which will somewhat change the original's DNA. What's your take on these additions, as well as the feedback?

These proposed changes to the existing foundation of the game won’t alter the experience in a dramatic way - for example we want to make sure that the roleplaying aspect of the game comes naturally to the player and that we don’t force them to choose a role from the outset like in Shock 2 and have that dictate the experience. They should feel free to experiment with the mechanics in the game and not feel penalized for a prior choice should their play style evolve and change throughout the game. If you want to take a more stealthy approach and focus on hacking and avoiding combat our system will reward you for that and make you more proficient in those skills. It’s more of a behind the scenes approach that won’t take you out of the game for an extended period of time, forcing you to think about where to put skill points. As for the feedback, it’s justified. As soon as you start talking about messing with the formula of a beloved franchise you can see the torches being lit in the distance. We want to add our own unique touch to the game, but it won’t in any way violate what’s been established or change the basic foundation of the game.

Ah-hahahahah...no. We've heard that before from better people than you, Kick. Here's what we want: System Shock 1, updated for modern-day systems with modern-day graphics with modern-day controls. That's it. We don't care about unwanted or <Current Year>-levels of changes to the game - just the good ol' stuff in better packaging. Do that, and you get money thrown at you. People have stopped backing the game because of this extra nonsense that no one asked for. Learn your limits, check to see where that line is before you step over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The game design, narrative, and pacing all withstood the test of time and we knew that by translating those timeless features into a new engine and recreating the iconic look of Citadel Station within it we’d have something very special.

Oh yes, they've all withstood the test of time.

Which is why you've slowed everything down, bloated everything's health, hired MCA "to help shape and direct the existing narrative of System Shock" (tm) and want to add "RPG elements" that were never there.

Fucking hack frauds.

Latelistener

Arcane
Here's what we want: System Shock 1, updated for modern-day systems with modern-day graphics with modern-day controls. That's it.
This is the ugly truth. The majority of remakes aren't made for fans, but rather for those who never played originals, and usually completely alien to primary sources. People who ask for it have no idea what developers will have to do in order to make it digestible for the modern audience.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, that's why they released the Enhanced Edition, same reason why Pathologic also got a HD version, I think that they should be allowed to re-imagine the game with modern design conventions and trends, so long as they provide the original game alongside the remake.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, that's why they released the Enhanced Edition, same reason why Pathologic also got a HD version, I think that they should be allowed to re-imagine the game with modern design conventions and trends, so long as they provide the original game alongside the remake.
and like Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, throw in ANOTHER game of the series alongside the original as a bonus

DeepOcean

Arcane
for example we want to make sure that the roleplaying aspect of the game comes naturally to the player and that we don’t force them to choose a role from the outset like in Shock 2 and have that dictate the experience. They should feel free to experiment with the mechanics in the game and not feel penalized for a prior choice should their play style evolve and change throughout the game.
Yep, won't be giving money to NightDive any time soon, I've been reading so many redflag buzzwords and stupid popamole marketing shilling shit like this thing above that I definitely don't trust them.

Gentle Player

Arcane
It seems like this remake is aimed more towards fans of System Shock 2 who either never played or were indifferent to the original. The only logical reason to introduce RPG elements is because SS2 had them and it was the more popular game; yet the fact that the RPG elements of SS2 were by far its weakest aspect is just being ignored. So I'm not sure that this is being remade in good faith, and if it is then I can only say that the people behind it are confused at best. I think that, what with System Shock Portable and now Enhanced version, there isn't even much need for a remake. The only real changes it needs, in my view, are customisable hotkeys for grenades and weapon selection and a side-step move for Cyberspace (whilst making it more hectic and adding more of those mines to compensate - the original concept I think is okay). On the other hand, SS2 could definitely do with a remake as it needs a systemic overhaul and something done about the flat lighting, perhaps also sprucing up the level design a bit. I wonder if that will be their next project?

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
I love how the guy talks about how they are getting the most humanly possible out of the Unity engine - then it cuts to scenes render in default Unity bloom nonsense :lol:

Even the remastered version from I think the early 90s looks way better than this does.

The problem here is in graphics land today there are too many munchkins who just have to either whiz up the graphics with retarded shit or make it totally illogically gritty and grimdark. There's no one who understands moods any more, and the technical qualifications are a little too much to simply take a good artist and have them do their shit. So you wind up with some fucking teenage modders all grown up doing the work instead. Just bleck.

"RPG Elements" I'm going to guess means weapon upgrades or slightly stronger softwares or something. Like Doom 2016 did. Numbers r teh hard for modern audiences, almost zero chance they're adding an XP system or anything like Cyber Modules were.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1638853

Original System Shock Devs on NDS Twitch Stream Tomorrow
Posted by Jason Fader

We have some exciting news for our final days of the campaign! Tomorrow we’re going to host a livestream on Twitch with some of the original System Shock devs including Warren Spector, Paul Neurath, Robb Waters, Tim Stellmach, and some of our Nightdive folks. Here’s the tentative schedule:

Tuesday, 7/25 (all times are in PDT)

• 1:00pm - System Shock Pre-Alpha Demo playthrough with NDS folks (Stephen Kick, Jason Fader, Robb Waters, and more)
  • 1:30pm - Otherside Entertainment folks join in for commentary (Warren Spector, Paul Neurath, and Tim Stellmach)
  • 2:00pm - 4:00pm - System Shock 1 playthrough with commentary
Here’s a link to the Nightdive Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios

On top of that we’ll be doing a 24 hour Twitch stream from Wednesday at noon (PST) to Thursday at noon, right up to the final minutes of the Kickstarter and a bit beyond. We’re still finalizing the schedule and will have an update tomorrow morning with details :)

- Jason

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Just watched some of this and there was an exchange in there at 25:20 that could be of interest to the good people here on the Codex:

July Hangout with Stephen Kick said:
-Stephen: I went to check out that RPG Codex thing you were telling me about and they called me a fratboy! (sadface)
-All: What?! *laughs*
-Shane: What?! *laughs* I didn't see that! *incomprehensible*
-Allen: That's one of the finer compliments they would offer you.
-Shane: Yeah! RPG Codex you gotta have flameproof underwear to go there!
-Allen: That's quite the compliment they've given you. (sincer)
-Shane: Yeah actually the RPG Codex is a bunch of Bluto Blutarsky:s and like they are really rough but they're actually a good group and very passionate about games. So they are actually quite keen on your System Shock-thing.
-Stephen: That's good! I've seen a lot of the hate for just the fact that we're supporting consoles. So that's another thing to. I'm very much aware of like "consolitus".
-Matt: consolitus? (slow)
-Stephen: Basically the building for consoles first and then porting the console version back to the PC. That's definitely not something that we're gonna do. The control scheme and you know all the graphical options that are you know standard on a PC release are gonna be present in our game so... We're not gonna lock you out of any of that stuff.

[end of RPG Codex related stuff]
So drop the console thing please! It just means that they are gonna get better sales and that's important for future projects.

Anyways Stephen Kick seems to be a really decent guy. I watched the two parts of MattChat interviews with him and his vision for the System Shock remake is sound. He's really passsionate about games and have played a lot of the classics.
I especially liked part 2 so go watch that:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom