Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

lightbane

Arcane
Wasn't the ship in the DS remake made worse as it had the dark areas and such exaggerated, making it look bad BEFORE the alien horror shitstorm? IIRC the regular ship in DS1 looked fine.

Haven't played the remake but DS1 definitely had a lot of areas that looked nice/clean/high tech. There was heavy machinery areas but they weren't specifically bad looking areas aside from the obvious blood and disorganization of a ship that has had battles going on

Melmoth

Educated
thanks for the replies, i think i will give it a go. i'll just replay the original again if it feels offensive. i will write my imperssons here later.

Hope you enjoy Ken Levine's SS1

Novice
731 Congrats on the mother of all delurks. Lurking for 8+ years.
hi friend, thank you.

i was told on the past by someone that you have to lurk here before posting and get familair with the lore but i wasn't sure what timeframe was apporpiate. also now i am at a point in my life where i can waste time with sites like this.

Novice
hi friends,

i have finished this video game. the best thing I can say about it, is that I think it could have been a lot worse. I dont think it does anything better than the original, but in isolation I think it is mediocrity done right, since I actually managed to finish it but on the other hand didn’t really make me feel anything special.

some random thoughts:
  • the AI is terrible and the biggest downfall of the gameplay. the AI don’t understand path finding or corners and usually just stare at wall when flanked. the way they respawn with magic elevators is stupid since they usually end up blowing themselves up on the elevator frame anyway. the game is super easy to beat because of the bad AI and you hardly need to use many of the items
  • animations animations animations why does everything require animations that take ages to do. I avoided using health machines due to this. i regularly also had the bug where the cyberspzce 'sway' animation would persist to the first person camera.
  • while I never had any problem with the original UI, this new one is not an improvement. it feels very generic shooter ui. why even bother making grid-based inventory if I cant double click to pick up items or change orientation without sub-menus? this kind of inventory tetris is a massive waste of time. also, deleting saves has no confirm so I accidentaly deleted 3 hours of progress
  • the pace and atmosphere of the game compared to the original feels odd. in the original there is tension, aggression and violence here the pace is just slow and… leisurely? feels almost like bioshock at times. I don’t know if it just me but feels like they tried to do speis horror and add whatever was popular in these types of games during the development cycle. for me, system shock 1 was, is and will forever be die hard in speic (action story) first, speis horror second. it just doesn’t grip you the same way the original does and it was very easy for me to drop the game for a day to watch new videos in youtube by police activity
  • music is not good, sound effects are very buggy at times
  • the intro and outro were terrible. shodan boss fight? what was that?
  • shodan was done well though and is as menacing as in the original. other logs, in general, were not as well made and the ‘KS’ (kickstarter?) logs were awful
  • levels are very similar to the original, and I did enjoy exploring them, although some, like the bridge felt very gutted
  • the art style was okay, but very uninteresting to look at. lighting was very headache and made the atmosphere very 'generic scifi dark' and nauseating for me
i think remake was made with good intentions but I wasn’t very impressed by it. on the one hand it felt very familiar but on the other hand I just found myself at times bored and not very eager to pick it up again. again, I ‘dropped’ it quite a few times to wash dishes etc. mostly, it made me want replay the original once again

overall, the remake felt like one of those plant-based, hamburger with vegan cheese whereas the original is the real deal. the components are there, but they just don’t feel right for me. it is not as bad as some people say but also it should never be recommended over the original.

what do you think this company will do next? will they remake system shock 2?

TheRedSnifit

Educated
It's System Shock 1 if it looked better and had good controls. Basically what I wanted.
Many people commenting on original SS difficulty probably only played the mouselook version and it is a whole different game IMO.
I'd say it was significantly easier without mouselook once you managed to figure out the controls. You would just hide behind a corner so that only they very edge of your screen can see around it, the enemy would get stuck on the corner, then you'd target the exposed part of its sprite. That way, it can be shot until dead with no way to shoot you back. Most of the monsters in the game are OK with this. With the mouselook mod you'd actually have to expose yourself to fire and it played like janky Wolfenstein. Not a particularly deep combat system in either case.

Well, or you'd rollerblade around instakilling everything with the laser sword.

Someone earlier here is saying it should have had a 2spooky Dead Space color pallet and I'm baffled. System Shock had a very colorful and very upbeat cyberpunk aesthetic which I feel was pretty faithfully replicated. I swear some people look for any reason to complain.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When will additional stretch goals be implemented?
Stretch goals such as the ability to select gender are being worked on. We also will be implementing a certain feature you may have noticed is missing from System Shock. Oink oink.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3875483

August 2023 Update​

e87b67a85bf00e51021cee085eb17c7e_original.jpg

Hello Hackers,

Since the launch of the PC version of the System Shock Remake, our team has been heads down, working to further improve the game as we near the digital console release. We’ve listened to your feedback and the ending of the game is receiving a complete overhaul.

That being said, we’re back with a few announcements that we wanted to share with the community.

ANNOUNCEMENT #1: The Physical Rewards Are Looking Good!​

At Nightdive, we’re always wanting our physical releases to be the latest and greatest versions, either on Disc or on Cart to make sure our games are as polished as they can be when they arrive at your door.

It’s because of this that we are making our best efforts to get the latest and greatest version of the game onto the PC physical release. Players can expect the game to ship with, at a minimum, the 1.2 Patch on Disc and ready to go so you have to do as minimal downloading as possible when you get your copy.

Our partners over at Limited Run have done a fantastic job of helping us produce all of the remaining physical rewards.

Physical Manual

Currently all of the physical manuals have been sent off for printing. The cover will have a semi metallic finish!

75683b51667e085fba5c7367db3836e8_original.png

Shirts

Final art has been submitted - we did have to alter the design of the Citadel Station shirt to meet printing limitations, but we’re really happy with the subtle design.

16948a0748673730e3471b9a6e81cf05_original.png

Big Boxes

The Big Boxes are finished! At the moment, we are waiting on getting the physical discs pressed and bundled with an included Steam key.

Here’s what the card code will look like:

d83051acbbfb3ea47e1c4d6ae85ddfdc_original.png

This is a test fitting for the goodies, the final interior will be all black.

c6e424b0014b19c5fe4018b14f3a5ab0_original.png

Pewter Figurines

Like we mentioned in prior posts, the Repair-Bot figure has been replaced with two pewter figurines.

28e5fc3d588558738fa901ee0e793191_original.png

620f799ab02a28686eb566666848c5cd_original.png

ANNOUNCEMENT #2: Details on Patch 1.2​

Below is a list of the upcoming items that we are excited to release in the next patch.

**WARNING STORY SPOILERS AHEAD**

Major

============

• Cloud Sync support has been added.
  • Improved quest logic behavior across several areas of the game.
  • Players can now no longer save over the AutoSave, and the AutoSave will now only appear in the Load Game menu.
  • Game Over screen can now be skipped.
  • Mission waypoints have been implemented for (Easy mission difficulty).
  • Recycle Station ‘inventory’ size has increased to 4x3 from 3x3 to allow recycling of bigger junk items.
  • The max payout from a Recycle Station is now 120 Credits.
  • EMP stun duration has been reduced by 25%.
  • SHODAN will lock the Research control room door if the player fires the Mining Laser at Earth.
  • Detox patch now has a 25% protection bonus against environment hazards while active.
  • Fix a soft lock that could occur when dying while interacting with a Surgery Machine.
  • Items dropped inside of elevators should no longer disappear.
  • Pathfinding performance improvements in Flight Deck and Groves.
  • Fix a case where the player was able to clip through the world by loading games while crouched.
  • Fix a case where plasma projectile FX would spawn every frame and wouldn’t clean up properly, causing major frame drops.

Minor

============

• SHODAN now has a surprise for the player when Diego is killed on the Security level.
  • Total Enemy Reinforcements have been increased across all levels.
  • Reduced the number of enemies that can bunch up in the same Reinforcement Volume.
  • Enemies will remember the player for longer on all difficulties.
  • Enemy line of checks include the projectile collision radius whenever possible so that their attacks fail less often.
  • Fixed an enemy ambush that wasn’t activating properly in the Medical CPU room if the player comes back later in the game.
  • Kickstarter corpse tokens added to enemies.
  • Enemy awareness in the Flight Deck trap room after saving and loading has been fixed.
  • Diego boss AI adjustments, largely in the first encounter.
  • Cortex Reavers can now perform a strafe jump to more quickly engage the player.
  • Mutated Cyborg and Tiger-Gorilla dismemberment has been fixed.
  • Cyborg Mantis walks faster, will sprint more frequently, and HP increased slightly.
  • Flier-Bots now have an Autocannon in addition to Gas Grenade attacks.
  • Striker-Bots now have a Laser Cannon in addition to Homing Missile attacks.
  • Flier-Bot and Striker-Bot textures have been improved.
  • Fix for Hoppers and Mobile Lasers not being able to hit the player while leaning behind a wall.
  • Security-1 Bot now has a rapid fire attack pose.
  • Cyborg Warrior now has a moving attack similar to the Security-2 Bot.
  • Cyborg Elite Guard head-mounted laser attack damage increased from 60 to 80.
  • Alpha Strain long range attack now has a unique animation.
  • Skorpion default inventory size has been reduced from 4x2 to 3x2.
  • Assault Rifle damage increased slightly from 24 to 25 per round.
  • Plasma Rifle now has an animation to unload the active Plasma Core.
  • Abe Ghiran’s Head inventory size has been increased from 1x1 to 2x2.
  • Missing character portraits have been added.
  • Cyberspace I.C.E Shield FX has been improved.
  • Wire Puzzle has new FX to more clearly indicate the required power level to solve it.
  • Fix for Circuit Puzzle dead-end nodes filling from the wrong side in some cases.
  • Fixed holes in the walls in Research tiles,
  • Berserk patches now cost 5 Tri-Credits from a dispenser instead of 4.
  • Shotgun ammo cost in Ammo Depots has been reduced from 15 to 14 credits.
  • Loot table adjustments to reduce quantity of ammo received from Exec-Bots, Flier-Bots, Striker-Bots and Cyborg Enforcers.
  • Ammo adjustments in Reactor, Alpha Grove, Delta Grove, Engineering, Security, and Bridge.
  • Reduced the number of First Aid Kit pickups in Flight Deck, Security and Bridge.
  • Assigned the correct idle animation to the Cyborg Drones (No more hovering guns while they are charging).
  • Jump Jet improvements while in Low Gravity Volumes.
  • Loading a save while falling will properly restore the player’s velocity.
  • Barrel dispensers will no longer drop their dispensed barrels when the player leaves and comes back to a level,
  • Energy Drain Mines will no longer prepend multiple “Destroyed” strings to their name after being repeatedly destroyed.
  • Fix for player losing Low-Grav/Repulsor mods when switching to certain weapons.
  • Improvements to how the enemy AI handles changing Repulsor Lift direction.
  • Reactor’s Repulsor Lifts have been adjusted slightly to fix potential soft locks.
  • Fix for the player being able to exit the Diego V1 arena by blocking main doorway.
  • Doors will more elegantly restore their collision state when loading a save.
  • Shotgun shell texture has been fixed.
  • Crack-O’s are now no longer considered Junk.
  • Fix for certain wall monitors not breaking when attacked.
  • Fixed small animation issue with the Isolinear Chipset on the Bridge.
  • Fixed sparking cable issues on Maintenance.
  • Fix for several achievements not completing properly.
  • Small text adjustments and spellings.
  • Music playback adjustments.
  • Fixed a potential audio component memory leak when concurrency limits were reached.
  • Added a Controller Vibration accessibility option,
  • Improved gamepad support on MFD,
  • Improved automap performance.
  • Fixed several visual artifacts on the automap.
  • Automap will always update the map info bar with the data for the currently selected level.
  • Implant tooltips will no longer display off the edge of the screen on certain display configs.
  • Fix for the ‘Back’ button on gamepad causing the player to crouch when exiting menus.
  • Credits updated.
  • Other minor improvements, adjustments and balance tweaks.

ANNOUNCEMENT #3: System Shock Remake has been nominated for Best Audio Design & Game of the Year at Fear Fest.​

91e4ea8bd436d50d73a8d2c7913f6375_original.jpeg

Voting is closed, but the winners will be announced on September 7th, 2023 on IGN’s YouTube and Twitch channels.

More details here: https://www.horrorgameawards.com/

F.A.Q.​

Questions from the community

When will the shipping of physical goods begin?
Once version 1.2 has been released we’ll begin pressing discs and shipping physical goods!

Console announcement date?
Console versions are running smoothly but need a few rounds of QA support before we move to certification.

When will additional stretch goals be implemented?
Stretch goals such as the ability to select gender are being worked on. We also will be implementing a certain feature you may have noticed is missing from System Shock. Oink oink.

That’s all for now!

Thank you

- Team Nightdive Studios

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
In true codexian fashion, I spent way too many hours to finish a game I hate. I like immersive sims and I'm a big fan of System Shock 2, but I cannot recommend this game to anyone. Here are all the things I hate about the game:
  • Graphics: The pixels are jarring and the game feels very cluttered. It is difficult to understand what's going on and which items you can interact with.
  • Combat: It is difficult to tell whether you actually hit the enemies as weapons have no impact. This is especially annoying in melee combat. The weapons are also very boring and the AI is braindead.
  • Itemization: The game is cluttered with junk items which add absolutely nothing to the game. Sure, you can recycle them and get weapon upgrades, but these tend to have very little impact. As your inventory is very limited this becomes very tedious. I ignored the junk for most of the game, but its mere presence makes the game less enjoyable as you might miss an actually important item which is buried under all the junk. Also, there is little incentive to hunt for loot in this game as it is all very basic. The most valuable upgrades in the game are the inventory upgrades and the jump boots. Everything else is mediocre at best.
  • Sound: Boring music and even more boring audio logs. To make this worse, they've added a lot of kickstarter audio logs which have nothing important to say.
  • Cyberspace: Boring, ugly and annoying.
  • Boss fights: Laughable easy if you have EMP grenades.
  • Difficulty: Each deck starts challenging until you restore the respawn chambers. Then difficulty takes a nose dive.
  • Junction box riddles: Tedious and usually not worth the trouble. The worst offender here is the flight deck where you have to solve three of these in a row just to be rewarded with a pointless optional boss fight.
  • Level design: Probably the biggest issue. All of the levels make absolutely no sense in this game. They are confusing, filled with back-tracking and offer no incentive to explore them.
  • Story: There is so little story in the game that it is barely noticable. There is no tension, even though the game likes to pretend that the situation is dire and urgent it is very bad at actually creating this impression.
  • Usability: The game likes to make your life uncomfortable. Why do you find so many different weapons if you can only carry so few of them? Why can't you assign more than four weapons to quickslots? Why are there so many annoying animations? Why did they put any info text to the very top of the screen where it is out of sight?
  • Player guidance: I like games where the player is guided in a organic fashion without quest markers (e.g., Gothic). However, this game offers so few hints that you have no idea what to do at times. For example, you're told at one point in an audio log that Shodan displays random security codes near the elevator. Despite the fact that this makes absolutely no sense, there are at least three elevators on this deck and when you actually find the correct one, you will get four different codes with no way to know which one is correct. And you still have no idea what to actually DO with the code. That might be authentic 1994 design but that doesn't mean that it is good design.
All in all, this game is a big waste of time and not even worth pirating. System Shock might have been a good game in 1994 (I wouldn't know as I didn't play it back then), but after nine years in development this remake is just a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/warren-spec...as-to-stop-it-many-times-from-getting-killed/

Warren Spector says his major contribution to System Shock was to stop 'it many times from getting killed'​

"I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that System Shock introduced the idea of environmental storytelling to the world."

PC Gamer's all-singing all-dancing all-action 30th anniversary issue is on-sale today, and includes a slew of major interviews with the creatives that have shaped our industry and some of the most important games in history. PCG's editor Robert Jones sat down with Warren Spector and Paul Neurath, key members of the original System Shock team, which is generally considered the first game you could call an immersive sim, with its influence is still prevalent in the contemporary industry across the likes of Arkane's various titles and 2K's Bioshock series.

The origins of the game go back to its lead programmer Doug Church who, while Warren Spector was polishing up a proposal for something called Alien Commander, shared how bored he was with the then-industry's over-reliance on genre tropes.

"Doug Church was hanging out in my office one day, and we were both talking about how sick we were of fantasy games, and dungeons, and rescuing princesses, and heroes that were built like the Mighty Thor," says Spector. "He and Paul [Neurath] were working—I didn’t know—on another similar project. They were sick of that as well, as I understand it. Doug came to me with an idea that ultimately became System Shock.

"I just sort of sat there with my pitiful, little, two-page Alien Commander proposal, with art I had done, which you never want to see. I listened to what he had to say, and went, 'Yeah, that’s better'. And so System Shock was born. I produced it. We could talk more about my specific role, but I represented it at Origin, and kept it many times from getting killed. I think that was my major contribution to the game."

The studio that would become Looking Glass was at this time called Blue Sky, and Paul Neurath says the studio's goal was always "to create this kind of new genre of immersive games, where we try to pull the player as much as we could into feeling like they really were in that world, and that they really were themselves making the decisions. We tried to do this genre mashup. It also had this mix of roleplaying and combat and real-time gameplay–but, in this game, all in the first-person perspective to create that deep immersion."

This included the idea of 3D itself, which in the industry's early forays tended to mean 3D visuals but a locked perspective on a single plane (as with something like Doom). System Shock was conceived as having a truly 3D environment and traversal mechanics that would work within such a setting.

"The kind of 6D version of 3D was something new," says Spector. "I mean, you could turn your head in a direction that you weren’t actually going. You could look around corners. You could crouch. You could lean. You could do all sorts of things that no one had been able to do. We could create sloped surfaces. We could create enormous chasms that, you know, you could look down, and see hundreds and hundreds of feet below you, which was kind of scary."

This was seriously ambitious stuff and Spector, who had the ultimate responsibility for producing a shippable game, was alternately angry and delighted by how hard the team pushed what they could do: recalling one occasion where they added a moving starfield right before beta.

"That doesn’t sound like much, but you don’t add features right before you go beta," says Spector. "It just isn’t done. I was furious. I mean, I was really angry. I went back to my office, and did my little happy dance, because that was how committed the team was to making something of the highest possible quality."

Spector adds that the way the game used physics was also new, with everything from recoil to head movement to in-game objects depending on physics systems that were "very sophisticated for its time, and I think it’s still relevant today – and, frankly, underused. Because if I ever see boxes stacked again, I’ll scream."

Another overlooked element, according to Spector, is that "I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that System Shock introduced the idea of environmental storytelling to the world. The idea of killing everybody, and telling the story through video logs and emails, and then having the players piece the story together, and then see elements of the story in the world [...] That is still relevant today. That’s kind of the key to the immersive sim genre. It’s not about telling players how to solve problems."

The full interview contains much more chat about System Shock and its remake, but that's far from the only classic this issue of PCG covers, with exclusive access to Nightdive's upcoming remaster of Star Wars: Dark Forces. There's also a special group test looking back at the best graphics cards of the last 30 years, an exclusive interview directly with CD Projekt Red on Cyberpunk 2077's 2.0 patch, a comprehensive guide to the best Starfield mods available, a special time-traveling dispatch from The Spy, and much more besides.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nightdive-t...holding-in-system-shock-but-players-loved-it/

Nightdive thought it was 'going to get grilled' about the lack of hand-holding in System Shock remake, but players loved it​

"People described it as an atrophied part of their brain starting to wake up again."

PC Gamer's 30th anniversary issue is on-sale today, and includes a slew of major interviews with some of the creatives that have shaped our industry and some of its most important games in history. One of those is System Shock, and Warren Spector told PCG's editor Robert Jones his major contribution was to stop "it many times from getting killed." The same roundtable also included Larry Kuperman and Stephen Kick of Nightdive Studios, which developed the recent (excellent) remake, who had an interesting observation to make about that game's reception.

Part of its nature as an immersive game was that System Shock didn't hold players' hands: it gave them objectives, sure, but then it's up to you to work out where you need to go and what to do. It avoids things like the breadcrumb trails so pervasive in almost every major title now, something that Nightdive found resonated with the contemporary audience in its remake.

"One of the big surprises that we found after releasing the game was that because we stuck so closely to the original mechanics, and just the formula, we found a lot of people praising us for not holding their hands; for not including waypoints and a mission point and objective markers and stuff like that," says Stephen Kick.

"The surprise was: we originally thought that we were going to get grilled on that pretty hard, because it’s become such a standard and staple in games these days. The most surprising thing for us was that people described it as an atrophied part of their brain starting to wake up again as a result of playing System Shock, because it actually trusted them, and it respected them. And it made them think again, while playing the game. As much as I would like to take credit for that–you know, it’s a direct translation of what’s in the original."

"To Stephen’s point, one reason we didn’t have waypoints in System Shock is because, often, you didn’t have a clear path," says Paul Neurath, who worked on the original. "There were different ways you could go through. Creating a waypoint would artificially tell a player, "No, no, no. We want you to take this particular path," where that wasn’t the best path or the path that would matter to a player, depending on their play style.

"So I think that’s an interesting example where we did something that wasn’t particularly standard, and today it certainly is pretty non-standard. It’s not the way a lot of games continue today to do it. And I don’t know if you look at that as a good thing or a bad thing. But I’m proud that the team took that approach, even if that’s not the standard way to do it these days."

The full interview contains much more chat about System Shock and its remake, but that's far from the only classic this issue of PCG covers, with exclusive access to Nightdive's upcoming remaster of Star Wars: Dark Forces.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I didn't play it
I was curious if the remake would appeal to people who weren't fans of the original. When I was playing it I kept thinking how well it would work if the game had a proper stealth system, e.g. robot reinforcements were overwhelming and combat was generally more risky. But that would essentially be a whole different game from the original.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I'm a huge fan of the original so I enjoyed the remake. But I'm biased, That's why I'm curious what opinion fresh players have. Kind of like watching a movie without reading the book it's based on. Totally different experience. I want to know if this game works for people without nostalgia goggles.

Yet, It's almost too faithful, it's like they were afraid of really changing anything or introducing any new mechanics it's at all. Tech has advanced a lot since the 90s, I'm sure there are all sorts of ways to add to the gameplay. Im sims tend to be known specifically for stealth so I'm surprised they didn't implement it here.

ciox

Liturgist
It has stealth in that some levels spawn enemies facing a wall 90% of the time.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm a huge fan of the original so I enjoyed the remake. But I'm biased, That's why I'm curious what opinion fresh players have. Kind of like watching a movie without reading the book it's based on. Totally different experience. I want to know if this game works for people without nostalgia goggles.

Yet, It's almost too faithful, it's like they were afraid of really changing anything or introducing any new mechanics it's at all. Tech has advanced a lot since the 90s, I'm sure there are all sorts of ways to add to the gameplay. Im sims tend to be known specifically for stealth so I'm surprised they didn't implement it here.
Honestly, I wanted to like the remake as System Shock 2 is one of my most loved games of all times and I had high hopes that a polished version of the first game would be just as great. I knew that SS1 had fewer RPG elements but I was still surprised how different the two games are. In that sense, I'm biased as I wanted something like System Shock 2. It would be interesting to test how someone without any immersive sim experience views the game.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

I'd say the opposite is true. If I read that someone who liked the original likes the remake as well, it means the remake must be really good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

The plan for this was to just get the base game up to modern standards, but stay faithful to the original. As a fan of the original I backed this and am very happy how this turned out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom