Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i beat this a few days ago. the final boss fight is extremely disappointing, but it's at least several steps up above the final bosses in system shock 1 and 2

Trithne

Erudite
Where is this lesbian romance log? I must've missed it.

I finished the game without ever going to half of the flight deck, particularly the area with the resistance.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Maybe the lesbian breakup was the part MCA wrote.
I genuinely thought that may unironically be the case, as the character in question is similar in appearance and first name (Dana, Danielle) to the lesbian character from Prey that was named after SHODAN (Danielle Sho), which afaik was written by Avellone, lmao. Is Avellone actually in the credits for this game or is he nowhere to be seen? I didn't really bother to look for his name when I completed it.
It's on the Security level, in one of the WEF Klaus Schwab pods in the living quarters.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians. I hate lesbians.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

I finished the game without ever going to half of the flight deck, particularly the area with the resistance.
It's on the security level in a dorm area with pod apartments.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
lesbian character from Prey that was named after SHODAN (Danielle Sho), which afaik was written by Avellone
"Danielle Sho"? Holy shit, Avellone is a real hack if he came up with that garbage name. Really cannot stand these kinds of meta references. I personally think that an Arkane dev should be publicly executed on live TV for each time they put "451" in one of their gay games.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Lesbians are worse than male gays and trannies because at least for those two, everyone knows that it's disgusting even if they don't say it out loud; but there are people who think lesbians are acceptable, and that makes them more insidious than their counterparts

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished a while ago.

The cyberspace is awful, easily the worst part of the game. I remember in the OG you get important logs, data and weapon upgrades in the VR. Plus you can just rocket past mobs and IIRC it's not as dull and linear and fucking boring. Anytime I walked into a room with a jack my body instantly deflated.

The recycle mechanics is pure evil, especially combined with the absurdly, retardedly small inventory that you can only upgrade mid/late game and only if you're good at chess. Literally what the fuck.

There's almost no music. Yes, the music in OG could get incredibly repetitive but it was also some of the most iconic music in the history of the industry. Surely Nightdive could've figured something out? Or not.

I still hate the 1980s gay club art style and lighting, something closer to the more realistic SS2 look would help the vibe a lot, but admittedly the original wasn't a highlight of immersion either so I'm willing to give it a pass.

Also the game was p. easy, playing Prey now on Hard and it's much more challenging. But again, the original was easy too, what with the overabundance of resources and the stupid resurrect mechanics.

As for the enemy respawn mechanics, I love it. There is some of it but it's smart - switching off the cyberbeds stops Shodan from making more cyborgs and in research you can switch off robot production (not sure any of it actually works in the remake tho). My biggest gripe with SS2 - aside from it being a decline level design-wise and also a retarded space zombie horror instead of cool cyberpunk - was the dumbed down bruteforce respawn mechanics without any rhyme or reason.

Oh and the final "boss fight" was hilariously bad.

But overall I had a lot of fun, couldn't help it. With inventory mods and playing on Hard it's still the good old System Shock. Seriously good shit.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
They just need to refine it. If they could make the combat more tactical, and add in puzzle elements, I think it could be fun.
Maybe. I just god moded through it. Piece of shit sections, not to mention some of them have those enemies that 2 or 3 shot you and you have to fight them in very small spaces. Happened like 2 or 3 times plus the constant crashes I had in cyberspace including final cyberspace section where you fight Shodan the game kept crashing often so I never bothered with it thankfully (I did watch the ending beforehand on Youtube to see if it was worth it and I thought it wasn't). I did start a new game and put cyberspace on difficulty 1 and noticed no difference from 2. Maybe there is but I didn't notice it.
Whatever, I vastly prefer the original. The remake is decent only because the original is good/great. The same reason some of the remakes are good in the first place.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The recycle mechanics is pure evil, especially combined with the absurdly, retardedly small inventory that you can only upgrade mid/late game and only if you're good at chess. Literally what the fuck.
I'm playing again on 3-3-3-3 with some of the mods I linked a few pages back that make the recycle mechanics much more manageable and less time consuming. Stacking scrap stacks to 900, increasing the inventory size of the cargo lift and recycler and reducing the size of all junk items to 1 slot. I definitely recommend it if people are tired of the recycling.

Looks like there's a coins/scrap item drops mod now, too: https://www.nexusmods.com/systemshock2023/mods/50
So you can in theory just ignore the junk system altogether if you get this mod for coin drops and just use those to buy items.
The cyberspace is awful, easily the worst part of the game. I remember in the OG you get important logs, data and weapon upgrades in the VR. Plus you can just rocket past mobs and IIRC it's not as dull and linear and fucking boring. Anytime I walked into a room with a jack my body instantly deflated.
I've noticed on my second playthrough that while the remake conditions you into being locked into a room and clearing all the enemies to progress, you're actually not always required to do so. Maybe 1/4 of the time you actually are able to just speed on through, for whatever reason, so it's worth actually checking each time you get into a battle in there. I imagine there may be mods in the future that'll just get rid of the locked arena doors.
As for the enemy respawn mechanics, I love it. There is some of it but it's smart - switching off the cyberbeds stops Shodan from making more cyborgs and in research you can switch off robot production (not sure any of it actually works in the remake tho).
Fairly sure the robot production in Research does indeed work in the remake, there's this one hopper that kept respawning next to the energy recharge station in the room with the power switches until I turned off robot production.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fairly sure the robot production in Research does indeed work in the remake, there's this one hopper that kept respawning next to the energy recharge station in the room with the power switches until I turned off robot production.
I just vaguely remember going through Research late game and it was swarming with hoppers and those Star Wars probes again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finally finished this.

The Engineering-floor felt more dark and ominous than I remember it, but it's far less of a deathtrap than the original was, which was full of Assassin cyborgs waiting in dark corners.

The Security-floor was shit, as in the original, but even more so. That they added a door that seals off the rest of Citadel Station right at the start was a disappointment, especially since there's no Recycling Station around.

The Bridge feels like a Borg Cube. In the original it felt techno-organic, but that was probably too hard to pull off with hi-res graphics. I cheesed the autobomb-maze in an amazing manner: The puzzle board had the relay going in an ever-expanding spiral, meaning the power travels through every square of the board. I set up the board so that the innermost piece was the last one, flicked it on, then rollerbladed towards the exit ASAP while the power routed itself through the board. By the time the message came that I had lowered the forcefield (which triggers the autobomb spawns) I was already racing across the laser bridge.

As Citadel Station was destroyed before I could even begin to look for a cargo lift outlet, I lost half my arsenal. Fortunately I had planned for this, and had several hundred rounds for the Skorpion and Mark III-rifles. Those ended up carrying me all the way through the bridge, right to the third Cortex Reaver-fight (there were only two in the original) where I drained both guns of ammo. That was when I remembered "Hey, I brought the grenade launcher along!" *THWOOP* Cortex Reaver bites it.

Once you jack into cyberspace on the bridge, the game is pretty much over, it's just a victory lap in cyberspace... where you're confined to your legs. You can even run until you're exhausted! The UI goes off on a coffee break, so imagine my panic where I holstered my 'weapon' and couldn't bring it back... until I hit the 'holster'-key again. Anyway, boring and useless sequence, but the outro is good, especially the synth-feast of a tune borrowed from the film 'Hardware'. I felt for the Hacker when he slumps down there at the end.

Overall, I think this is a good remake... of a game that (deep breath) wasn't that great to begin with. Don't get me wrong, SS1 is a good game, but is also plagued by many things (the groundbreaking but sluggish UI, for a start). A remake 30 years later has plenty of space to fix many of those things, and at least the remake accomplishes that much, especially in the graphical and UI-department. But at the same time there are some extremely boneheaded decisions taken with the remake that no sane person should be doing in the 2020s (inventory management, the recycling crap, the idiotic enemy spawns, inferior audio logs, less atmospheric) and the remake ultimately ends up highlighting the bad parts of the original. At least they made the skates fun.

The weapons... were a joke. They felt so generic and bland, the only one that stood out was the Magnum because of the PJOING-sound it made when firing. The Railgun deserves a mention not for being stylish or an effective weapon, but for easily having the longest reload animation I've ever seen. Enemy combatants were likewise a joke, only Diego and the Cortex Reavers proved to be a challenge... mostly for them spamming explosives. The first fight with Diego is cool because of the 'arena' and how he's coming at you with lightsabers, but for the others it's just popamole cover-shooting... to a point, as most of the cover can be destroyed. I held on to whatever proximity-mines I found, as I was hoping to be able to cheese Diego as in the original, but the only time that was possible I forgot to use them.

The only audiologs worth a bother were the new ones where they patch up some plot holes in SS2 (the wormhole and why SHODAN is wearing a kimono in the boss fight) and a single audiolog on the Security-level where an executive is sending a message to his daughter: "I wish I would have looked at Saturn more, it's so beautiful." That one actually had some real emotion in it.

Will I play this again? Maybe, but it'll be YEARS down the line. I've done enough System Shock for one lifetime. It'll be interesting to see what the modders can do with this one, though.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
1686857210196.png

the staff here are so fucking insufferable, I didn't even necro anything, I was responding to Sentinel

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You don't have to play the cover shooting game with Diego and Reaver Unkillable Cat, you just pop Berserker, run up to them and swing your rapier about six times. They don't even hurt you.

Berserker + rapier literally break the game, just like in the OG.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
and a single audiolog on the Security-level where an executive is sending a message to his daughter: "I wish I would have looked at Saturn more, it's so beautiful."
Was quite surprised by that one in particular, didn't seem out of place or CURRENT YEAR but did get across some emotion, and it was even one of the Kickstarter backer audiologs, if i'm not mistaken.

By the way, the Grenade Launcher loaded with EMP grenades is extremely strong for the various boss fights throughout the game. Shuts them down for a good few seconds so you can get some free swings/shots in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom