Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

DraQ

Arcane
Polygon got exclusive access to the KS demo:

Looking nice but I expect those "got newz software" cool animashunz to get old fast

From what can be seen it's System fucking Shock in attractive new package - if it didn't get old back then, it won't get old now.
It seems to be aimed at two groups of people - nostalgic oldfags (AKA 'us') and kids these days who don't know what's good for them (trying to see if you can sell them idea while partially relying on oldfags getting pumped).

Falling damage confirmed.

The generi-survival horror score is a poor replacement for the original game's tracks. Stop tampering with the good stuff! :argh:
Original soundtrack was a poor replacement for silence, so whatever.
:martini:

Compass as a HUD element is pointless, and clutters the screen and is distracting as fuck.
Both original System Shocks had HUD compasses so fuck off (for that matter - a 3D style compass like in originals would be better).

Ash

Arcane
Durandal said:
They could've picked a better horror ambiance track if they are going ahead with that, it's like nobody even tries in that regard nowadays.

Music in games may as well be dead at this point. Just another point of decline and why old games hold more meaning to me.

MuscleSpark said:
Some things are better, some things are worse; people either want it to be more realistic or less realistic and some are even complaining about the music at the end even though this was in the original.

A good Immersive Sim appropriately picks and chooses what is realistic and what is not. Music should never be scrapped for realism imo. As for the music at the end, I think the problem people have with it is it doesn't fit thematically and just isn't particularly interesting, at least that's my opinion of it.

DraQ said:

:outrage:

Morgoth said:
It's a nice effort for a remake, but the 17 year old Shock 2 still beats this Disney Shock 2017 when it comes to sense of place and eeriness.

Nothing they can truly do about that if they are to remain faithful to System Shock 1 and its retro textures and blocky level design. Later places will be sure to scare though - maintenance comes to mind.

DraQ

Arcane
:martini:
Go on. Defend the last few seconds where the hacker sees Saturn's rings.

Do it.
Ready?

It's intermittent.
It doesn't keep blaring all the time like the original did.
:troll:
It's also about as likely to get muted in my game.

SS2 soundtrack was the good SS soundtrack. It balanced cyberpunk and horror well enough and worked to underline the atmosphere rather than destroy it.
Other than that garbage is garbage is garbage (just like engine is an engine is an engine as far as nu-SS1 seems to be concerned).

MuscleSpark said:
Some things are better, some things are worse; people either want it to be more realistic or less realistic and some are even complaining about the music at the end even though this was in the original.

A good Immersive Sim appropriately picks and chooses what is realistic and what is not. Music should never be scrapped for realism imo. As for the music at the end, I think the problem people have with it is it doesn't fit thematically and just isn't particularly interesting, at least that's my opinion of it.
Music is not even a part of game's fiction, so bringing the music and realism up in one sentence is a sure sign that the speaker needs immediate percussive cranial therapy with a 2x4 in order to regain some measure of lucidity.

That said, I thought that awful, homicide inspiring elevator muzak was realistic, not that I would be particularly fond to ever hear it again.

Nothing they can truly do about that if they are to remain faithful to System Shock 1 and its retro textures and blocky level design. Later places will be sure to scare though - maintenance comes to mind.
It always puzzles me when an old game makes much better use of some technology than its more advanced sequel. Here it's the case with SS1, SS2 and lighting.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
Music in games may as well be dead at this point. Just another point of decline and why old games hold more meaning to me.

There are always Squeenix games for great soundtracks :obviously:

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Music is not even a part of game's fiction, so bringing the music and realism in one sentence is a sure sign that the speaker needs immediate percussive cranial therapy with a 2x4 in order to regain some measure of lucidity.
I don't know about you but if I was a sentient AI tasked with running a space can filled with humans I'd be blaring soothing classical music through the PA system subroutines all day every day. Even after they all died and turned into zombies I'd still keep doing it just out of sheer force of habit and to creep survivors out.

Love

Cipher
I have no doubt this game will do very well on Kickstarter.

As for the already mentioned animator who seems to be quite happy with his handiwork: Who the hell swings a metal pipe with both hands upside down like that?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page is live early: http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/

There's a new trailer, which confirms lean movement and features non-generic music.

After two decades, Nightdive Studios is rebooting and re-imagining the original System Shock. We will keep the new game true to the classic experience, keeping all the things you loved while giving today's gamers the modern look and feel expected from a great game.

With the help of members of the original team, including the original Voice Actor of SHODAN, Terri Brosius, Citadel Station has never been more immersive or terrifying!

“When you’re working on a game, you tend not to think about how people will feel about it 20 years later – or if people will even remember it! The announcement of the System Shock update from Nightdive (and the upcoming System Shock 3 I’m working on) it’s apparent that not only do people remember, they care very deeply about the game. Back when we were working on the original, we wanted to make a simulation-based game that would empower players to tell their own stories through their playstyle choices – an idea that’s still totally relevant today. I’ve long said that if you updated the graphics, sound and UI on System Shock you’d have something that competes directly with any game on the market today. Now the Nightdive folks are doing that update and I’m confident my prediction will be validated. SHODAN demands that you support this so we can all find out.” --Warren Spector, OtherSide Entertainment. Producer on the original System Shock.

You're a renowned hacker, the most notorious cyberspace thief in the corporate world. Caught during a risky break-in, you become indentured to a greedy TriOptimum executive. After six months in a healing coma, you awaken to the twisted aftermath of a terrible disaster. Where are the surgeons? Why is the station in such disrepair? Slowly, the chilling realization that something is very wrong creeps over you. Once a prime corporate research facility, Citadel Station now teems with mindless cyborgs, robots and terribly mutated beings, all programmed to serve SHODAN, a ruthless A.I. There's scarcely time to think before it unleashes the first terror...

“The crew at NightDive heroically brought the original versions of System Shock and System Shock 2 back into circulation. They have thrived as a new audience has rediscovered these classics. Now NightDive is remastering the original System Shock to bring it up to date on modern PC’s - with fully updated visuals, audio and a modern interface – making it dramatically more accessible to modern gamers. It’s quite wonderful to see a franchise that Warren and I helped create get such loving care." --Paul Neurath, Founder of OtherSide Entertainment. Co-founder of Looking Glass Studios.

DraQ

Arcane
As for the already mentioned animator who seems to be quite happy with his handiwork: Who the hell swings a metal pipe with both hands upside down like that?
A guy who considers using KB to be too much of a menial work already, hence he wanted that cyberjack?
:troll:
It's not like you're playing a skilled combatant in SS1, you're playing a nerdy hacker.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 2 GB available space
UNITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :flamesaw:

tormund

Arcane

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 2 GB available space
UNITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :flamesaw:
How do they intend to defend this (if they even try, PC gamers are ready to swallow everything with right amount of hype)?

This remake looks about as any mid-gen UE3 game...

ZoddGuts

Augur
Heh, didn't think those specs weren't bad for Recommended Specs when I saw it on the Steam page but than I saw it was for Minimum Specs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Things we learn from this new gameplay video...

• No one at Polygon can aim for shit;
  • That screen distortion effect is horrible;
  • The animations are pretty cool;
  • Graphics are better than expected;
  • Not a fan of the sound design.

Perkel

Arcane
Ain't nothing wrong with unity, broheim

Nothing at all.

Unity has to itself this that it is used by many amateurs who don't know what even LOD is.
Then there is asset store that sells you wides available assets usually many times above in polycount what you actually need but amateurs would know that you should maybe scale them down.

It is true that Unity is slower than UE but UE for most of time was costly case and that usually meant that it had people at helm who could actually think about graphic design while Unity was basically indie island.

IMO problems are just caused by lack of optimization and bugs in code (loops doing nothing in background etc)

Best case to show even old PRE unity 5 (which resolved many performance issues) could be well used is Cities Skylines. And that game had performance issues going to milion+ people mostly because of CPU not GPU:

Z4EQuUd.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom