Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Swords and Sorcery: Underworld - Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>Instead of merely whining that the graphics suck as the local plebs did, Corwin from RPGWatch actually played <a href="http://www.classicgamesremade.com/" target="_blank">Underworld</a> and <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=155&ref=0&id=440" target="_blank">decides to share his impressions</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>This is an old-fashioned, turn based, party RPG and your first job is to roll up a party of adventurers. You can create a party of up to six characters and there are six classes to choose from. Race and gender options are also available, but they didn't appear to make much, if any, real difference during the game. Class certainly did as many items have class restrictions upon them. The six possibilities are Knight, Paladin, Archer, Thief, Priest and Sorcerer. I began with a balanced party, but later swapped to try other builds. You begin in an Inn, with some very primitive gear, a little gold and no idea what to do except explore the town a little. Good Luck.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>Sorcerers get primarily attacking and teleportation spells, while Priests - as one would expect - are mainly healers, though they do get one very powerful attacking spell at the beginning of the game. What really impressed me was that I used almost all the spells I had regularly. Frequently, tactical use of the correct spell meant the difference between success and failure. The assorted travel spells are most useful. One will allow you to leave a dungeon and return you to the nearest town, (there are three, but you have to discover two of them), while another, for example, allows you to travel between the towns once they have been discovered. The portal spell saves a great deal of time when you want to return to a dungeon.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>Bottom line, this is a first effort from a one person Indie developer who could use a great deal of support from people buying this game so he can create a sequel. Is it worth the price of admission? I certainly believe it's a bargain you shouldn't miss if you at all enjoy this type of game. Head over to the Classic Games Remade website and at least grab the demo. Once you get past the old style graphics, I don't think you'll be disappointed.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15346">RPGWatch</a></p>

Jason

chasing a bee
Little known fact: Corwin once videotaped himself strangling a donkey with a chain. Took close to 20-30 minutes because donkeys have very strong necks.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
^ I assume that afterwards he jacked off on top of the animal carcass.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Jason said:
Little known fact: Corwin once videotaped himself strangling a donkey with a chain. Took close to 20-30 minutes because donkeys have very strong necks.

I don't blame him, a man needs a hobby after all.

Bought it some time ago. Excellent game if you enjoy Might and Magic's, Wizardrie's, etc.

Edit: Just thought about it, that is 1 win to Britain (Knights of the Chalice), and 1 win to France (Underworld) so far. Waiting for the other countries to release their (one man/woman) Indy RPG entrants.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yes but Pierre Begue sounds like french. Maybe he only lives on your island because he likes the food or something. So it's 2 wins for France probably.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Yes but Pierre Begue sounds like french. Maybe he only lives on your island because he likes the food or something. So it's 2 wins for France probably.

I was going to blow off some steam until I realised how badly you just insulted all Frenchman here (don't ask me why, but they are), so I will let it stand. :salute:

MisterStone

Arcane
True fact: Corwin visited Cleve in person at his bunker/home. That's where the heroic Cleve photo comes from.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Isn't that obvious? Corwin strangled one in 30min and Cleve strangled 2 per minute (one with each hand) for a sum of 60.
This was known as the great australian donkey incident.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Blackadder said:
Bought it some time ago. Excellent game if you enjoy Might and Magic's, Wizardrie's, etc.

Edit: Just thought about it, that is 1 win to Britain (Knights of the Chalice), and 1 win to France (Underworld) so far. Waiting for the other countries to release their (one man/woman) Indy RPG entrants.

What about Eschalon book I and II? There were a couple of others involved but they are mostly a 1 man operation.

Saxon1974

Prophet
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>Instead of merely whining that the graphics suck as the local plebs did, Corwin from RPGWatch actually played <a href="http://www.classicgamesremade.com/" target="_blank">Underworld</a> and <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=155&ref=0&id=440" target="_blank">decides to share his impressions</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>This is an old-fashioned, turn based, party RPG and your first job is to roll up a party of adventurers. You can create a party of up to six characters and there are six classes to choose from. Race and gender options are also available, but they didn't appear to make much, if any, real difference during the game. Class certainly did as many items have class restrictions upon them. The six possibilities are Knight, Paladin, Archer, Thief, Priest and Sorcerer. I began with a balanced party, but later swapped to try other builds. You begin in an Inn, with some very primitive gear, a little gold and no idea what to do except explore the town a little. Good Luck.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>Sorcerers get primarily attacking and teleportation spells, while Priests - as one would expect - are mainly healers, though they do get one very powerful attacking spell at the beginning of the game. What really impressed me was that I used almost all the spells I had regularly. Frequently, tactical use of the correct spell meant the difference between success and failure. The assorted travel spells are most useful. One will allow you to leave a dungeon and return you to the nearest town, (there are three, but you have to discover two of them), while another, for example, allows you to travel between the towns once they have been discovered. The portal spell saves a great deal of time when you want to return to a dungeon.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>Bottom line, this is a first effort from a one person Indie developer who could use a great deal of support from people buying this game so he can create a sequel. Is it worth the price of admission? I certainly believe it's a bargain you shouldn't miss if you at all enjoy this type of game. Head over to the Classic Games Remade website and at least grab the demo. Once you get past the old style graphics, I don't think you'll be disappointed.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15346">RPGWatch</a></p>

Havent bought this one yet but it looks worth 20$ to help support further development of these types of games. Thanks to Corwin for playing and reviewing.

Tycn

Savant
Blackadder said:

KotC had more than one developer.
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/AboutUs.htm

Melcar

Arcane
So this is the best game ever know? I think I played it wrong them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom