Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Liked the little narrative bits in the encounters. The ice dungeon should be an interesting location. Outdoor areas and step movement are great, feels like home.

Note that the sorcerer there doesn't actually use those words in the game :D

Really like the new tile-sets!

Dorateen

Arcane
Liked the little narrative bits in the encounters. The ice dungeon should be an interesting location. Outdoor areas and step movement are great, feels like home.

Is that a Frozen reference? I would have never picked up on that. But pop-culture goofiness sort of fits with a Might & Magic inspired game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It has been a while since I remember the specifics of this game. This will be full open world? As in travelling overland (via the 3d look) to different cities and dungen's ect?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
It has been a while since I remember the specifics of this game. This will be full open world? As in travelling overland (via the 3d look) to different cities and dungen's ect?

Yes! But spells, boats and flying take care of the tedium over time.

Is that a Frozen reference? I would have never picked up on that. But pop-culture goofiness sort of fits with a Might & Magic inspired game.

Yes, Frozen reference it is. I couldn't resist :p

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What bothered me a bit about the first part was that you enter the town, want to enter the first dungeon - and get killed immediatly.
Even most random encounters in the starting town killed me immediatly without much of a chance.

The start was just too grindy for me to go on for much. A bit more of a smooth start would be great for the next part. I just don't think a player's reaction to the first combat in a game should be "please don't one-hit the mage so I have to reload" ;)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What bothered me a bit about the first part was that you enter the town, want to enter the first dungeon - and get killed immediatly.
Even most random encounters in the starting town killed me immediatly without much of a chance.

That's how it should be.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then I honestly don't get the appeal of it.
Being chanceless in your first encouter(s) by the grace of the RNG is not something I would consider good game design.

The player should always have a chance if he didn't screw up somehow.
And the very start of the game is too early for the player to have screwed up already. Not much that could've gone wrong yet ;)

Also, maybe merge this with the news thread?

Dorateen

Arcane
When any character is dropped to 0 hitpoints, they are unconscious. It is only a second hit that makes them dead. The appeal is trying to protect such vulnerable characters and fight the battle tactically. That's classic party-based gameplay.

Voted!

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
thesheeep I did rebalance that a bit. I was overwhelmed with complaints on launch day. :)

But in spirit it remains the same. Like Dorateen says if a character is knocked unconscious you can heal / protect / disengage (or try to flee) until the priest gets a turn and if the priest is down you need to finish the fight before he/she is finished off. Bad luck can be a thing but it is pretty rare once you get a handle on all the different options.

That being said the world in Sovereign is big enough to have a few safe areas around. As of now there's only one battle in the starting town (but plenty not far off).

Last edited:

Mustawd

It's in development. Dev has been active on the S&S Underworld thread. He mentioned it's still full steam ahead .

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm so hyped for this! S&S Underworld been my favorite rpg of the last few years.
:d1p:

Edit: Hold on - Greenlight page gives me the impression that there will be a box release with map included, is that true?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
@Snorkak I'd love to be able to do that but haven't looked into it yet. I can't imagine it happening until some time after digital release though. Unless I try my hand at crowdfunding. For now I'm just focusing on finishing it ASAP. Not sure when that will be though. Thanks for the interest everyone :)

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
This is a bit off topic but I thought it might be of interest to some people here that I posted a greenlight entry for Iron Ruler a while ago. IR is a small TB strategy game. Since they're closing greenlight soon I thought I'd stop by and shamefully request that you give it a look, and possibly an upvote if it looks like something you'd enjoy.

It's also based on an old classic called Lords of Conquest. Like Underworld, it has a unique combat system meant to spice up the original formula a bit.

It's a secondary project, but since greenlight is closing soon I thought I'd try to push it through. It's a small project but I've had fun playing with human friends. The AI still needs work though.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899064895

Future updates will be back on track, I promise. I'm making good progress on Sovereign, but naturally there have been micro-issues setbacks :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom