Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy - BG1-inspired low fantasy RPG From the ATOM TEAM

Serus

Arcane
Patron
biggest no-no for me when it comes to no magic is lack of enemy variety. Foreseeing lots of stupidly aggressive animals where it makes no sense.

Also, all combat sums up to choosing between "whack quick" and "whack hard". Yawn.

Assuming it's TB like Atom and not some action roll-playing soulslike.
Battle Brothers has one of the best TB combat ever done and you have zero magic on player side. Most enemies are either human or human-like and without magic as well. There are only a couple of magic-user enemies (witches, goblin shamans, necros and ancient priests, i think that's all) and they don't add anything crucial to the game.

biggest no-no for me when it comes to no magic is lack of enemy variety. Foreseeing lots of stupidly aggressive animals where it makes no sense.

Also, all combat sums up to choosing between "whack quick" and "whack hard". Yawn.

Battle Brothers has one of the best TB combat ever done and you have zero magic on player side. Most enemies are either human or human-like and without magic as well. There are only a couple of magic-user enemies (witches, goblin shamans, necros and ancient priests, i think that's all) and they don't add anything crucial to the game.
Battle Brothers team, Overhype Studios, had competent writers and game designers. ATOM team, on the other hand, not so much. For some mysterious reason, ATOM RPG got praised here for its writing, but it was painfully mediocre at best, with tryhard, cumbersome pop-culture references from 90s (and other decades) to boot. Sure, Fallout 2 had such too, but they were much less pervasive (San-Fran notwithstanding). And combat in ATOM was mostly tedious. How can you even compare it with BB, just because of low-magic, is beyond me.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Battle Brothers team, Overhype Studios, had competent writers and game designers. ATOM team, on the other hand, not so much. For some mysterious reason, ATOM RPG got praised here for its writing, but it was painfully mediocre at best, with try hard, cumbersome pop-culture references from 90s (and other decades) to boot. Sure, Fallout 2 had such too, but they were much less pervasive (San-Fran notwithstanding). And combat in ATOM was mostly tedious. How can you even compare it with BB, just because of low-magic, is beyond me.
I can't and I didn't.
What I really did however, is giving an exemple of a game in low magic setting (at least when fighting) with excellent combat at the same time. Contrary to other people claims that low magic settings are equal with bad combat or no variety.

Arvennios

Novice

Battle Brothers team, Overhype Studios, had competent writers and game designers. ATOM team, on the other hand, not so much. For some mysterious reason, ATOM RPG got praised here for its writing, but it was painfully mediocre at best, with tryhard, cumbersome pop-culture references from 90s (and other decades) to boot. Sure, Fallout 2 had such too, but they were much less pervasive (San-Fran notwithstanding). And combat in ATOM was mostly tedious. How can you even compare it with BB, just because of low-magic, is beyond me.
Battle Brothers had no story or main plot and zero dialog, a sandbox game with no end in sight, you lead a mercenary band roaming around the map and taking contracts. It's a mighty fine game, but the writing (if it had ANY at all) was very discreet, it shines in other aspects.

mondblut

Arcane
Battle Brothers has one of the best TB combat ever done and you have zero magic on player side. Most enemies are either human or human-like and without magic as well.

I never played it, but I'd wager it largely owes its "bestness" to the larger gameplay loop (replaceable units, economics of scarcity, ironman and so on). Not on the process of standing guard around the archer posted on a hill tile and clicking on the closest enemy until someone's hitpoints run out per se. What works for wargames rarely if ever works for RPGs where you're supposed to stick with the same small bunch of units from the beginning to the end.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Battle Brothers has one of the best TB combat ever done and you have zero magic on player side. Most enemies are either human or human-like and without magic as well.

I never played it, but I'd wager it largely owes its "bestness" to the larger gameplay loop (replaceable units, economics of scarcity, ironman and so on). Not on the process of standing guard around the archer posted on a hill tile and clicking on the closest enemy until someone's hitpoints run out per se. What works for wargames rarely if ever works for RPGs where you're supposed to stick with the same small bunch of units from the beginning to the end.

Yeah you never played it, fatso. Great. Shut the fuck up. BB is one of the sharpest tactical games out there. No one on the Codex knows how to play it properly I would assume.

TheKing01

Literate
Seems promising. Low fantasy is definitely my preferred sub genre, if for no other reason but the over saturation of muh dark evil overlords and elf oppression.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I never played it but i know everything about it...
Were you drunk posting it? I know you can do better. Like not talking about, what you yourself admitted, you know nothing about.
In addition you lost the wager you made. This TB game is good exactly because of its TB combat mechanics (also design of many enemies). OTOH there are many things outside combat that are lackluster or average and the game is still good despite it, that should tell you something. I hope you didn't wage much.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Steam Page is up, real-time-with-pause and turn-based combat at the same time, hmmm... hope the encounter design will be better than Owlcat's Pathfinder games then (less trash encounters pls)

ss_82b202887d18711508b5fbfb1e59c60dc899de56.jpg

ss_fd7f07e08c2a35ebb444d9e914dadf52e5ca801c.jpg

ABOUT THIS GAME​

SH_Logo_Descr.png

Swordhaven is a fantasy cRPG inspired by Infinity Engine titles—Baldur’s Gate 1, Icewind Dale, etc.—as well as other classics.

You take up the mantle of a lonely adventurer on their way to the barely explored land of Nova Drakonia.

During your voyage, you are met by a dying man who trusts you with a peculiar artefact that will involve you in an adventure of a lifetime, and a plot that threatens everything you’ve ever known and loved.

Some of Swordhaven’s core features include:​

SH_Bullet.png
A flexible combat engine. Experience battle as a tactician in turn-based combat, or hasten the pace with the real-time with pause (RTwP) mode;
SH_Bullet.png
A classless roleplaying system: each stat combination provides a unique gaming experience, distinctive dialogues, and novel ways to solve quests;
SH_Bullet.png
A classics-inspired yet modern User Interface with large customization possibilities;
SH_Bullet.png
A vast, nonlinear world filled with unique NPCs and multi-solution quests that reward exploration, always offering alternative approaches to satisfy any character build;
SH_Bullet.png
Dozens of hours of exploration, from quiet village hamlets to hidden temples of the ancients, horrid crypts, bizarre dungeons, and otherworldly locales…

Please add us to your Wishlist!​

Wishlisting is very important for our game's visibility, but it also helps us determine which language we should prioritize for localization. If you wish to help us translate the game to your language, consider adding us to your Wishlist.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Also the title may as well be "Sword Coast: The Plot of Baldur's Gate 1" lol, nice homage, I expect the story will be better than just a parody of the first Baldur's Gate game though.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Combat-wise, Atom Team (pure turn-based to a mixture of turn-based and real-time) seems to be going in the opposite direction from Owlcat (a mixture of turn-based and real-time to pure turn-based)

Genre-wise, Atom Team (isometric post-apocalypse RPG Atom to isometric medieval fantasy RPG Swordhaven) seems to be going in the opposite direction from GrapeOcean Technologies (isometric fantasy RPG Black Geyser to an unannounced isometric post-apocalyptic RPG iirr)

Just some interesting parallels between these 3 isometric RPG makers that I notice.

Modron

Arcane
And I hope party can have more than just 2 members as shown on screens.
Well seems like there is plenty of space for more in the ui, you can see that it adjusts for how many party members you have at least based on the screenshots with the player character running around solo.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks like Baldur's Gate to me. And the title, suggesting a nefarious plot to hamper the iron trade along the Sword Coast the realm of Nova Draconia...

This brings back some good memories!

Quillon

Arcane
Let's see what's out there.
Just say the word.
What is it?
Time for action!
Let's do it.
The road is calling.
No problem.
Time for exploration.
You can count on me.
I think I found something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom