Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguelike Sword of the Stars: The Pit - roguelike in Sword of the Stars universe

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I like it, I just don't know if I like it enough for $10. While the futuristic theme is nice I don't think they did as much as they could have with it, and I think some of the skills are kinda unbalanced. Very heavy lean towards combat also really forces you to make a combat-oriented character, which means I found myself getting much farther using the marine class than any other, with much less effort. But then, I'm also hardly an expert roguelike player.

BobtheTree

Savant
I'll pick this up in a sale. Looks like fun, but I've got no reason to pick it up and start playing this right now.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
mix-match of different resolutions graphics is a graphicswhore gripe of mine.
the game looks kind of fun though.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hope it doesn't have the failed humour of Dredmore, gfx does not seems cartoonish so it's a good sign.
It's tongue-in-cheek but not nearly as overbearing as in Dredmor. You get a few quips, silly data log entries and funny item names here and there but that's about it.

But uh, main characters are super-deformed with giant heads. That's not cartoonish?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not to mention that the female pilot (possibly the best class in the game) is japanese and sometimes swears in 日本語.

:desu:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hope it doesn't have the failed humour of Dredmore, gfx does not seems cartoonish so it's a good sign.

Dredmor humor succeeds. As far as the graphic design not looking cartoonish... uh... have you seen this game? Looks like it was made in RPGmaker and the original SoTS 4x had a fairly cartoonish character design.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Pffft. Newfags and their 90's high resomolution pixel arts. The art looks fine.

There's a difference between having simplified/stylized graphics and sticking drills and moustaches on shit for the lulz. Stylized graphics are a good thing in a roguelike, it makes shit easier to identify at a glance. Having to pause and read descriptions every time a rat comes on screen in case it's the hyper multiheaded death rape version is not fun.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
All of the 'boss' mobs in Dredmor have a noticeable halo effect around them.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh I wasn't referring to Dredmor regarding that part. It's actually more of a pain in ascii roguelikes (ToME 2.XX being a major offender, so many damned monsters, and so many on screen at once, and all it takes is a random unique thrown in the mix or a color easily mistaken for another and you get one shot by breath weapons) though I've played a few tilesets where shit looked way too similar as well. Then there's ADOM. Nothing like dying to a (it seems very experienced) vortex you thought you could shrug off, or opening up a mixed tension room/vault for the tenth time and deciding whether to examine all 50 monsters or just roll the dice and hope nothing kills you in a single round.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Nothing like dying to a (it seems very experienced) vortex you thought you could shrug off
Why you thought you could casually shrug off vortices is what you should analyze.

Stylized graphics are a good thing in a roguelike, it makes shit easier to identify at a glance.
Yes, well, ASCII makes it much easier to do just that. Much, much easier (and faster for the brain).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, well, ASCII makes it much easier to do just that. Much, much easier (and faster for the brain).
Of course not. It may be easier & faster to see a "d" or a "@", but you'll still have to make the connection on wtf "d" means. And you can easily mistake them.

On the other hand, it's almost impossible to confuse stuff like this:
brax.gif

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Been playing this one all weekend. Very addicting, at least to me :D. One of I don't like is how you lose items when you fail to craft something. Not talking about when you critically fail, just in general. I also think this game is somewhat rigged as far as what's generated for what class, I know, it sounds crazy when talking about a roguelike and all but I swear that while I was playing as a marine I was swimming in ammo and weaponry while as an engineer I am happy to get either an autogun or the ever rare Pepper Box handgun that burst fires shotgun shells.

I would love to see the main game have branches like Stone Soup does but that may or may not be problematic to implement, who knows?

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Been playing this one all weekend. Very addicting, at least to me :D. One of I don't like is how you lose items when you fail to craft something. Not talking about when you critically fail, just in general. I also think this game is somewhat rigged as far as what's generated for what class, I know, it sounds crazy when talking about a roguelike and all but I swear that while I was playing as a marine I was swimming in ammo and weaponry while as an engineer I am happy to get either an autogun or the ever rare Pepper Box handgun that burst fires shotgun shells.

I would love to see the main game have branches like Stone Soup does but that may or may not be problematic to implement, who knows?

So far, it seems to be random during my attempts. Sometimes I get useful stuff and sometimes I do not. Walking through a doorway and losing your armor/weapon to a trap that destroys a random item sucks though.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Recipes suck a bit, I've died A LOT of diseases, even though I was full of anti-bodies in my inventory, that I have no idea what to do with...

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

So far, it seems to be random during my attempts. Sometimes I get useful stuff and sometimes I do not. Walking through a doorway and losing your armor/weapon to a trap that destroys a random item sucks though.

Three ways to solve that:

1. Take everything off except for an item to be sacrificed before walking through the door.

2. Use lockpicking to open up alternate doors, if any are available.

3. Destroy the door, destroy the trap.

As far as my previous statement, I still think the Engi gets the short end of the RNG stuff. Of course, this is based mostly on observation and any attempt to reproduce this consistently results in failure as the Engi gets a good run once in a while :D.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Recipes suck a bit, I've died A LOT of diseases, even though I was full of anti-bodies in my inventory, that I have no idea what to do with...

Go to a cooker and put these items in the following order:

Stale bread - anti-bodies and you'll get aggressive antibiotics :D

Keep in mind that if you place anti-bodies in the first slot and moldy bread in the second you will get a recipe failure. Sequence of ingredients is very important here.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
med-kits will cure diseases, and heal you, if you pass a medicine skill check.

EDIT: The trap I was talking about will randomly destroy any item that is on your person or in your inventory. So dropping stuff on the ground would work, but removing would not.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Medkits only remove 1 lv of disease. It's useful, but a pain to burn throught 3 uses just to get rid of a Lv 3 disease...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom