Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SWF ad causing mouse-flicker

gromit

Arcane
The ad for "Palisade Guardian" from mytopfreegames.com (or something like that) is causing the cursor to either flicker or disappear. This is more annoying than ads with sounds, because you can't kill the speakers (and sounds won't induce an epileptic fit.)

I mean, how do you break flash that well?

Phelot

Arcane
Heh. I noticed this too, but didn't realize what was causing it since I'm also doing a million other things.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Become a patriot and your avert problems will cease.

Jason

chasing a bee
Was getting it this morning at home, but not seeing it at work right now. Fairly annoying. It's a flash ad for a game with soldiers shooting at stuff, don't remember the name or url.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Here's the holy trinity of good reports about problematic ads:

1. Take a screenshot of it.
2. See where the ad points to (target url), and copy the url.
3. Describe what the ad is doing that is problematic.

Guess what you're missing?

gromit

Arcane
A riddle!

I sort of got the url - granted that's only as written on the ad, but it's likely close enough to query (not in the habit of clicking links to sites named mytopfreegames on a computer I do anything remotely important on.)

I've given an excellent description of the behavior, after briefly and carefully troubleshooting a problem that has temporary, mistakable effects extending beyond its own tab.

So I'm guessing it's "take a screenshot," to accompany the placard text and visual description above. I'm hoping this is not just so that you can sit on butler.php jamming f5 until you see it, but rather some weird requirement of submission to your ad-serving agency.

2dsk4g4.jpg

Yep, I missed the sticky, I do apologize. 95% of stickies are bullshit, I have been unfortunately conditioned by many forums, including this one, to start looking right below them unless I'm just then signing up. I plead signal:noise, but like I said, "sorry."

But (0.75 + 0.75 + 0.5) = two out of three ain't bad. Much better than you're getting from a lot of people who POSTED in the thread where you've apparently posted the directions several times, including not to post in there, so...

No, scratch that, fuck it, let's be snarky at one another. Do you still want me to PM you this information? I can either copy and paste, or simply send you a link to this thread.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I get to sift through the deluge of ads from several different advertising providers by myself, hence the screenshot requirement. Finding one that is causing problems among literally hundreds from several different providers in the system is like looking for a needle in a haystack without all the info I'm asking for.

Unfortunately 95% of people also think that we post stickies here for the lulz, hence me needing to post the sticky contents in every such thread that comes up. Kinda defeats the point of having a sticky for this purpose.

And no, since I've seen this thread and replied in it I don't need you to follow the sticky instructions that I didn't paste here... I've got everything I need now.

Edit: the ad should be gone from rotation now.

gromit

Arcane
Ugh. So the screenshot essentially WAS so you could jam f5. Well, that explains why the whole thing makes you so cranky ;)

Thanks, it's cool to not get headaches looking at the website again. Y'know, more than usual at least.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Well no, finding it in our internal rotation doesn't do me any good, I need to trace it to the proper ad provider and then dig it up in their own system and disable it. Most of the time specific ads have some generic name and number or abbreviation so you can't track them by the textual clues in the ad itself... hence the screenshot requirement.

I'm not cranky though, that's just my Codex posting mode. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom