Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Sweden Game Conference 2015: Lessons Learned with Chris Avellone

Crashed Whale

Novice
I liked this part:

btjDglo.png

(29:25 in the video)

Last edited:

hivemind

The fact that he actually drew most of his presentation is adorable as fuck.

I never got the Codex boner for him but his charm is starting to seriously win me over.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Yeah, most slides were funny as hell. And I didn't know he actually read old books and movies, took notes from games. His Arcanum commentary (only watched first part) was so fucking bad in comparison to this, that it gave me the wrong idea of him, I guess.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Next time he visits Stockholm, send me as a Codex representative and I'll annoy the fuck out of him with retarded questions about his relationship with Sawyer to satisfy the Codex.

Shammy

Learned
Fantastic presentation. Tons of insight into how he tackles game development, and those slides were pristimo.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
"Chris Avellone is the creative force behind Planetscape: Torment, Fallout 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, FTL and Pillars of Eternity among many others well known titles."

Will there ever be a time when people in the "industry" stop fucking this up? My OCD always flares up when I see this... At least they got the second part right.

The talk itself was very informative and the codex cameo made it even better. It's great to see him not beat around the bush, the harsh language used (I've never seen a presentation use the word shit or horseshit multiple times in such a setting) was a great contrast to the little comics during the presentation itself and gave certain points an additional sense of importance.

Ezrite

Learned
"Chris Avellone is the creative force behind Planetscape: Torment, Fallout 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, FTL and Pillars of Eternity among many others well known titles."

Will there ever be a time when people in the "industry" stop fucking this up? My OCD always flares up when I see this... At least they got the second part right.

The talk itself was very informative and the codex cameo made it even better. It's great to see him not beat around the bush, the harsh language used (I've never seen a presentation use the word shit or horseshit multiple times in such a setting) was a great contrast to the little comics during the presentation itself and gave certain points an additional sense of importance.

I honestly do not think people who misspell Planescape Torment like that in a presentation really care about games or did care before it got mainstream and god damn trendy for all hipsters, sjw and other fucking groups. "Oh mah gawd I been a gamer my whole lief!" they say in their no lense glasses in their flanel shirts and speak of how they loved playing Zelda games cause Zelda in "his green outfit" was so cool and Mario and Louie was so funny to play as at their friends house now and then.

hpstg

Savant
After Wasteland 2 I wanted to puke seeing Unity, Age of Decadence might be something peopel call ugly but it got charm. Wasteland 2's unity graphics was ugly and unappealing.
Don't confuse the engine with the art direction and the almost non-existing optimization. It's because of Unity 5 that Wasteland got its Director's Cut and it's not looking like complete trash.

Ezrite

Learned
Don't confuse the engine with the art direction and the almost non-existing optimization. It's because of Unity 5 that Wasteland got its Director's Cut and it's not looking like complete trash.

To me it is sadly a big let down, one of the most unappealing games I ever seen. It made me think Unity really was a shit engine made for browser games. Way back a friend of mine used it to make shitty browser games. I tried it for 5 minutes some days ago and I could not get into it. If their next project will look similar I be really disappointed. Perhaps I need to struggle passed the first part of it, I do not know. I hope the story is worth it.

Cadmus

Arcane
Is Avallone a faggot? He sounds like a faggot.
The presentation seemed mostly like "use common sense, the end"

So if I get a writers block I should do something else for a while? Deep stuff. I still don't believe this guy can play games. He comes off as a libertarian in the good sense but seems more focused on the ideas than actual games. He probably has nice ideas but please remind me what gamey stuff he ever did right. He's a writer, he should give presentations on writing, not game design. The stupid idea with the grandma test is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. It only works if your target audience are fucking grandmothers or disabled people, which he doesn't seem to realize.

The audience seemed fine, just sitting there and listening. I don't know what do you want from them. At least they seemed to know his games.

Raapys

Arcane
Pretty much all presentations of this kind boil down to common sense, if only because they speak generally rather than specifically. That's why an active audience who ask specific questions is important; it forces the presenter to give specific and personal answers rather than just the standard shit. Stuff like this should be much more of a dialog.

hivemind

Is Avallone a faggot? He sounds like a faggot.
The presentation seemed mostly like "use common sense, the end"

So if I get a writers block I should do something else for a while? Deep stuff. I still don't believe this guy can play games. He comes off as a libertarian in the good sense but seems more focused on the ideas than actual games. He probably has nice ideas but please remind me what gamey stuff he ever did right. He's a writer, he should give presentations on writing, not game design. The stupid idea with the grandma test is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. It only works if your target audience are fucking grandmothers or disabled people, which he doesn't seem to realize.

The audience seemed fine, just sitting there and listening. I don't know what do you want from them. At least they seemed to know his games.
he is responsible for the design of Alpha Protocol which is the best designed Obsidian game

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So if I get a writers block I should do something else for a while? Deep stuff. I still don't believe this guy can play games. He comes off as a libertarian in the good sense but seems more focused on the ideas than actual games. He probably has nice ideas but please remind me what gamey stuff he ever did right. He's a writer, he should give presentations on writing, not game design.

There is a mental disorder called fanboysm that prevent people from realizing such obvious truths. In every game in which he worked with and was good, like PS:T, is an Avellone’s game, the superstar. However, in every game in which he worked with and was terrible, like Alpha Protocol, this is Obsidian’s or someone else failure. The other factor that feed this fanboysm is our tendency to make simplistic narratives about the reality. Game development is a cooperative enterprise, but it is too complicated to remind each one of the people responsible for every little thing in every game. In fact, it is impossible, because we don’t know how the iteration goes in the background. Avellone itself reminded in some interviews that his characters in PoE resulted from a cooperative effort with other heads, but we ignore this because we decided that he is the awesome superstar. Moreover, we do the same thing with every other developer, even from small studios. We all praise VD, and some recognize Oscar’s importance in AoD, but how about Nick and the others?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah I guess. Imagine living in a state where everyone talks with a gay lisp. You go do a checkup and the doctor is like oh my god and stuff.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah I guess. Imagine living in a state where everyone talks with a gay lisp. You go do a checkup and the doctor is like oh my god and stuff.

And they all ride their bikes to work with a helmet on and a water bottle attachment.. then walk their bike through the office halls...so they can park it in their office..
God - It sounds fucking horrible.

Ezrite

Learned
So...he is not that popular around here, is he? Since you people seemingly think he is a "faggot"?

Cadmus

Arcane
So...he is not that popular around here, is he? Since you people seemingly think he is a "faggot"?
he speaks like a faggot and I haven't seen him do any good "design" that would warrant his giving lectures on it
he writes nice stuff, that's good but that's also all he can do so I don't understand why is he getting his dick sucked by the posters here

Also he wasn't funny at all and the trolls weren't "adorable" but embarrassing.

Cadmus

Arcane
Are you Swedish ? Do you have autism ?
Sure I don't have autism, you imbecile. Good for you if you're so easily impressed with this useless, general lecture and the high school drawings akin to anime characters with a big X mark on their forehead. Keep it up, you will find plenty of enjoyment in your life.

hivemind

Not sure whether I'm easily impressed but you sure do seem easily triggered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom