Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Super-Orcs strike again

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Section8 said:
And while we're at it, anyone else get the feeling that all of these supposedly interesting and quirky weapons all function in exactly the same way - dealing hitpoint damage? If you're going to have a laser beam like that, it would be much better for it to be a cutting device that works in short bursts and severs limbs, reflects off metal and so forth, instead of being functionally identical to a rifle with a different damage type flagged.
But that would go against the KISS rule! The players will be so confused if each weapon has a different effect on the environment and living organisms!!! Clearly you don't believe Bethesda is that stupid!?

A user named cat

gc051360 said:
Thank you!!!

They do it in movies sometimes too. I have no idea what the point is.

I guess in movies it can be used for a dramatical effect. But for this whole game to look like that, makes me think of how incredibly boring it's going to 'feel'. Entire gameworld of greenishly-grey textures and desolate areas, with orcs running around. Oh boy.

A user named cat

Nael said:
Running around? Running around? You demand too much sir! No, they will stand at the same road crossing the whole game until you come around and kill it. Get with the program. Permanence=EMERSHUN if you listen to Pete Hines.

Next time, get your facts straight :P

I didn't mean it literally, of course. But that problem lies with most games, not just Bethesda's. Isn't that what radiant AI should be for though? If so, we saw how incredibly awesome it worked in Oblivion.

Section8

Cipher
But that would go against the KISS rule!

Wow, I just had a flashback to Kiss' Psycho Circus. That was actually a pretty cool FPS back in the day, and almost certain a better game than Bethesda's own shameless attempt to cash in on someone else's IP.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Section8 said:
And while we're at it, anyone else get the feeling that all of these supposedly interesting and quirky weapons all function in exactly the same way - dealing hitpoint damage? If you're going to have a laser beam like that, it would be much better for it to be a cutting device that works in short bursts and severs limbs, reflects off metal and so forth, instead of being functionally identical to a rifle with a different damage type flagged.
Stop trying to kill the kids' immershun with your silly logic and expectations for deep game mechanics.

This is Bethesda

Lasers! pew! pew!

Nael

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
Nael said:
Running around? Running around? You demand too much sir! No, they will stand at the same road crossing the whole game until you come around and kill it. Get with the program. Permanence=EMERSHUN if you listen to Pete Hines.

Next time, get your facts straight :P

I didn't mean it literally, of course. But that problem lies with most games, not just Bethesda's. Isn't that what radiant AI should be for though? If so, we saw how incredibly awesome it worked in Oblivion.

I was only teasing you :P

And yeah... Radiant AI, FTW. Modders showed that the AI in Oblivion is capable of some very interesting things. Bethsoft probably avoided doing this though so the kids could find Caius Cosades. :roll:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nael said:
And yeah... Radiant AI, FTW. Modders showed that the AI in Oblivion is capable of some very interesting things. Bethsoft probably avoided doing this though so the kids could find Caius Cosades. :roll:
In Oblivion? That would be difficult.

A user named cat

Wasn't there only like a couple known instances of their radiant AI even functioning correctly? We've all seen that youtube video of the peasant stealing a loaf of bread and being chased down. Probably posted by a plant or some nonsense.

Out of the time I played Oblivion, I didn't notice anything natural about how the AI acted. They all seemed like bots to me.

Section8

Cipher
Fucking shit. I just had a terrible vision of the future, where Fallout 3's version of Nuka Cola is not only a refreshing drink, but can be shaken up and thrown as a nuclear grenade.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Someone in Maryland is e-mailing that to Toddler with the subject; "Me and Jim just brainstormed this baby up!".

denizsi

Arcane
Section8 said:
Fucking shit. I just had a terrible vision of the future, where Fallout 3's version of Nuka Cola is not only a refreshing drink, but can be shaken up and thrown as a nuclear grenade.

It's terrifying that you're capable of thinking like.. Todd!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I will refrain from commenting on the questions that have been asked by that pathetic excuse for a journalist; it is sufficient to say I got the impression I had been reading a sequel to Oblivion-related interview...

http://www.madbrahmin.cz/fallout3/fallo ... f2_04c.jpg

"It's a Bethesda RPG... need we say more?"

Am I to understand it is supposed to be a recommendation?...
On a side note, what do they mean by this particular term? Daggerfall and Oblivion are simply the two opposite extremes (Morrowind lies somewhere between them).

deuxhero

Arcane
Section8 said:

Sadly that wouldn't surprise me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom