Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Super Mario Odyssey

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I've been replaying Arcanum and Fallout(and their modern iterations aka AoD and Underrail) on my PC for the past 5 years.

I needed a new x-perience. Something to x-pand my horizons.

Just wait for X4.

That Mario game looks actually good. But could be a bit empty. I got a similar impression from the Zelda game. Maybe they can't handle too much characters on the screen.

What's X4? Xenoblades 4?

It's too late now though. Anyway, I bought it as a complementary gaming platform. Been playing too much hardcore rpgs on PC and wanted something to just sit back, relax and have some fun. Nintendo games usually do the trick for me.

It should arrive tomorrow. Will post some impressions here once I have it.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Played about two hours of it last night, basically through Mexico world.

Clean graphics are polished and don’t seem too out of place, but it’s definitely different than the cartoony look from previous 3D Marios. Game is fun otherwise, feels like original Mario 64 but expanded with the hat switching to incorporate lots of spatial puzzles e.g. tons of invisible platforms in Mexico world which can only be seen when you’ve captured a certain enemy, but that enemy can’t jump so you have to remember where they are and turn back into Mario. So far I’ve “died” twice, both times involving falling off those platforms into instant death-goo, so it’s not incredibly difficult, especially to anyone with some skills in 3D platforming, but it has surprised me with little difficulty spikes for certain segments here and there. Seems, as has been the case recently, that the harder challenges are those that are hidden away for completionists who need every single collectible.

If you already have a Switch, it’s clearly worth it but I doubt anyone who can’t stand 3D Mario is going to have their mind changed by it.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
My switch arrived and I've been playing this. Game's fun but too easy(so far atleast... just left sand kingdom). Doesn't really bother me as I bought it just to chill and have some fun, but a bit more challenge wouldn't hurt I guess.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Just a note:

The worlds are deceptively large. They may appear small on the map but there's all kinds of hidden extra sections.

My switch arrived and I've been playing this. Game's fun but too easy(so far atleast... just left sand kingdom). Doesn't really bother me as I bought it just to chill and have some fun, but a bit more challenge wouldn't hurt I guess.

Learn how to spin your hat or one of the rabbid mini bosses is gonna give you some grief.

Seems like they spent all their time implementing the hat/creature interactions and not enough developing the levels themselves, which seem to be meandering, too easy tripe. I really like Super Mario Galaxy and every little planet felt very unique, but this doesn't seem to be like that at all.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Seems like they spent all their time implementing the hat/creature interactions and not enough developing the levels themselves, which seem to be meandering, too easy tripe. I really like Super Mario Galaxy and every little planet felt very unique, but this doesn't seem to be like that at all.

Level design is good(great actually) but difficulty is too low. Bosses are ridiculously easy to beat, opponents pose no challenge and most of the moons are too easy to get. They should have made the moons harder to get, or atleast increase the amount needed to advance. A hard mode with tougher enemies, limited HP and harsher death penalties would be much appreciated aswell.

Another thing that annoyed me was the handholding(there's even "quest" markers for the main objectives), but that would be asking too much from this kind of game in this day and age I guess.

In the end I had fun with the game, but it's not the second coming of christ the whole world is saying it is.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
So as far as recent Nintendo plaformers, this or Tropical Freeze? Or Mario 3D World? I'm in the mood for some colorful, cartoony fare.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So as far as recent Nintendo plaformers, this or Tropical Freeze? Or Mario 3D World? I'm in the mood for some colorful, cartoony fare.

Tropical Freeze has actual challenge, but I thought 3D World was more fun overall. But if you're looking for something colorful and fun then you can't go wrong with any of the titles.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pretty much everyone says the game is way too easy. Mostly an exploration theme park game. Whatever. Good for a mobile game with lots of extra challenges for people who only own a Switch.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Why has this been moved to the Jrpg weeaboo section? Pretty sure this game is not a RPG.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Why has this been moved to the Jrpg weeaboo section? Pretty sure this game is not a RPG.
Read the subforum's description.
"For all your DESUDESUDESU needs, where everything released in an asian language or from an asian developer can be discussed. If it remotely smells Japanese, put it in here."
JRPG is basically a containment zone so all the idiot racists who hate japanese games because they are japanese don't have to see them.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Read the subforum's description.
"For all your DESUDESUDESU needs, where everything released in an asian language or from an asian developer can be discussed. If it remotely smells Japanese, put it in here."
JRPG is basically a containment zone so all the idiot racists who hate japanese games because they are japanese don't have to see them.

:balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom