Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sullynathan thinks GTA5 was the best GTA game, DISCUSS!

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I don't know, I don't think I did a single one of these things.
I don't think any sane person would, unless they were housebound for some reason and desperate to live a normal boring life, only virtually. Yet for some reason Rockstar still spend millions of dollars adding all that crap to their dudebro games. I guess when you have infinite money you can do stupid shit with it. Personally I'd have a swimming pool of 100s. The paper cuts would be worth it.

Relevant

sullynathan

Arcane
Bought saint's row 2 and I'm going back and forth between playing it and lost and damned . GTA clearly has better working mechanics.

Saint's row 3 was much better at the start. I wonder how this will pan out.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
:necro:

Just played this to burnout (~20 hours didn't finish) so here's my review:

Story spoiler:
Fun game up until after first jewelry heist when you get caught up doing FIB missions. Story crashes hard at this point as missions become very lame, boring, repetitive, and feel meaningless to character development (none of the characters benefit at all being gov slaves). I like the early missions especially with franklin where you're basically being gangsta with ur bud but once everyone gets dragged into the gov bullshit the tone gets too serious and everything goes downhill. This is especially annoying because this accounts for probably 75% of the main story.

Gunplay in this is not good and gets boring very quickly. I like playing GTA games with a controller but the shooting is an impossible handicap on gamepad so I have to constantly switch between gamepad for driving/moving around and kb+mouse for shooting. Super annoying, I'll never understand how people play shooters with a gamepad.

Driving is hella fun though. I actually wish this game were need for speed instead and all the missions revolved around street racing and pimping my ride and so fourth because the driving is solid and easily the best part of the game. I also really like the west coast classics radio station, old school hip hop is my fucking jam and that's probably the only reason I played as long as I did. Racing around listening to NWA is great fun.

Flying on the other hand is a terrible experience. Controls are garbage and aircrafts move SLOWER than cars. Flying around is super tedious but it's required on a bunch of missions :(.

There are some design decisions that are totally un-fun and baffling though. If you buy a car (and these can cost millions) or jack one and upgrade it, the car doesn't save to your character so you need to park it in a garage every fucking time you decide to switch to another character or else you'll never see them again. Huge time sink.. Purchased cars can also disappear mid-mission because of some random event that you cannot foresee or even because of a bug. What's the point of spending all your cash on a car to have it disappear 20 minutes later?

Also there are so many damn bugs in this game it's insane. This is a AAA game that's been out for like 5 years now and MAJOR bugs still exist. For example, you can spend all your money purchasing a stock and then the stocks never show up in your portfolio, so you basically just lose all your cash...

Luckily, cheats are still in the game so if shit disappears you can just give yourself $$$ and buy a new car or whatever. I think the driving and the early story missions make up for the 75% of the game that sucks. Also, the graphics are really really really pretty so that's something I guess.

All in all, in the future, I think R* should drop most of the gun play and make most of the missions in GTA revolve around street racing because that's where the game excels. Also fix some of the damn 5 year old bugs wtf.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Characters were unlikable. Story was forgettable. Multiplayer was garbage. Controls were mediocre.

Last gen Rockstar = Max Payne 3 > Grand Theft Auto IV > Red Dead Redemption > Grand Theft Auto V

Yeah storyline, missions and world design is kinda 'meh' in GTA 4 but it sucks that many, many little cool details didn't make their way to GTA 5.

I was gonna post this video, but I was sure somebody already did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom