Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subtle Arts devlog

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Most Codexers probably know me from my modding work but I've also dabbled in game development as a hobby. This hasn't yet amounted to much but prototypes that never saw the light of day. For me the draw was the challenge of recreating the kinds of games I enjoy. It's a puzzle in a way, and I like puzzles. But now I'm moving forward, and I want to make games for others. If you've developed anything, you understand the vast difference in commitment required to go from what's essentially a doodle, to a fully realized product that meets people's expectations. What I write here is mostly to externalize my thoughts. Part of me wants to crawl back under a blanket, but I've begrudgingly begun the work.

An RPG is in preproduction. However, I chose a puzzle game for my first commercial project, both to familiarize myself with releasing on Steam, and just to finish something quickly. The core mechanic is lifted from Tricky Kick, which I appreciate due to the complexity that can be stuffed into very small maps. There are more toys to play with of course. Having co-op, it's the kind of game you can enjoy with your girlfriend.

Worldbuilding for Goblin Party will make its way into the followup. It's a setting influenced by Americana, the threshold between this world and the other spheres, and magic realism, where the fantastic seeps through the ordinary. I'm thinking the RPG will feature a single town, like many tabletop adventures and games. This way I can divert as much time as possible fleshing it out, and updating things as the player progresses. Not much else is set in stone.

I haven't settled on a subgenre, but I'm leaning toward something like a Mystery Dungeon game, or a squad based tactics game. As an indie with a budget of lmao, I want to ensure that every hour I spend developing content results in a commensurate amount of enjoyment for the players. Spending 5 years, or goddess forbid 20, on a game people are going to burn through in a few sessions isn't something I have the constitution for. Someone is probably thinking, "If Moonrise doesn't let us roll a goblin party, we riot!" I hear you. They're in. But there are some things I won't budge on. As much as I love old school games, there are aspects and features, even whole genres, too niche to bother with unless you like making tapas for nobody. I already know what that's like.

What else... right, the concept. The concept is that you're commanding defectors from the otherworld to wage war against the otherworld, as, so to speak, the chains of Tartarus have grown rusty. You'll locate weak points in the barrier between worlds, push back its denizens, and reinforce the magic that allowed for thousands of years of peace and mundanity. Only it's not high fantasy. You're a dork from the suburbs who read too much Jacques Vallée.

Last edited:

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Some questions have arised in ma head. Is Savannah going to be the main protagonist or a companion/NPC? Are sprites and those stripey and rectangular backgrounds going to be animated? Will players be able to make the main game area fullscreen all the way? Is game going to have sound effects and music? Have you ever thought about releasing your game on other platforms/devices like GOG GAMES or Nintendo Switch?
She'll be the main protagonist in the story chapters, and also one of five playable characters in the puzzle levels. The sprites are animated, yes. Menus are animated. Level backgrounds are not, as I found it overly distracting, but you can change to your favorite in the options menu. I'll add more, I just have a thing for plaid. Aspect ratio is adjustable. You can choose between stretched or pixel perfect scaling. Sound effects and music are implemented. Other storefronts weren't on my mind, because, well, nobody uses them. I'd have to use a modern engine to do a Switch port, but I'm a weirdo making a 9x game in 2023. The main benefit I guess is that it's extremely optimized. Eats a whopping 16MB RAM. Would fit on a floppy or two aside from the music. The game doesn't mind if you delete the MP3 folder, so a stripped version is possible.

I did consider MIDI, or even an alternate MIDI soundtrack, but there are a few problems with the format these days. First of all it's legacy in W10 and barely functions. Soundfonts don't work properly because the OS won't let you point them in the right direction. Even if you could, I'm not banking on the idea that people would know or care to change it. I have to assume they're using GM.DLS, which sounds like a wet fart on a hot day. Lamentably, we no longer live in the days where computers were mostly owned by enthusiasts, who would understand and be invested in this sort of thing, installing soundcards or other hardware. It's all so tiresome.

Last edited:

Sibylla

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag!
Will you release a demo on steam? I think that helps indie projects gather hype if the development takes a while

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom