Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subterrain: Mines of Titan - Scavenging Turn-Based Survival Sci-Fi RPG Set on Titan

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

https://af.gog.com/en/game/subterrain_mines_of_titan?as=1649904300

Demo available

ss-1eaf0ec6943200856e7393dd1b40429aa4d2dc0b.jpg

ss-73d36920da0bd56b5c4bf2be0f67fcf84c7c482d.jpg

ss-9819825e0d94eab8885e3abdddbd6d07933c8c5f.jpg

ABOUT THIS GAME
In the near future, a violent meteor collision on Titan deposits a large amount of rare materials into the icey surface of the moon. A mining company, TECC, sends a massive amount of personnel to establish a colony to harvest the resources. The mission, despite a promising development, is abruptly ended when the colony goes silent. After several years, a second team is sent to pick up the pieces and investigate what happened.

They discover there’s no trace of the previous mining team, leaving the newcomers to believe that everyone had perished...

...until they find you.

Engage with the struggling Camp Huygens and help the residents wrestle with the problems that threaten their survival. Every moment counts, and the world does not wait for you—the residents of the camp have needs of their own and can’t survive forever without intervention. The game doesn’t wait for your decisions—be careful, or you’ll become your own worst enemy!
SURVIVAL
  • Survive each day by taking care of day-to-day needs, such as hunger and thirst.
  • Receive and treat injuries, such as bone fractures and blood loss.
  • Scavenge equipment, or collect materials from the environment.
  • Manage oxygen and energy while exploring abandoned mines.
  • Struggle against the flow of time itself.
S2_Survival.gif

COMBAT
  • Intuitive and expeditious turn-based combat!
  • Fight the horrors of Titan with melee and ranged weapons!
  • Enemies evolve, gaining strength with time!
  • Harness the power of nanomachines to use powerful abilities!
  • Defend your reactor against invaders!
S2_Combat.gif

CRAFTING
  • Break down equipment into materials and craft components!
  • Produce armor, guns, melee weapons, grenades and upgrades!
  • Manufacture performance enhancers and medical equipment!
  • Research items to design better versions, or fabricate advanced designs!
S2_Craft.gif

EXPLORATION
  • Explore the mining outpost of Camp Huygens.
  • Talk to the residents and trade with various camp merchants.
  • Discover the camp’s problems, and help the residents deal with them.
  • Find evidence of what occurred, and survive long enough to escape Titan.
S2_Explore.gif

MANAGEMENT
  • The world is constantly simulated with each movement or action.
  • Help manage the camp’s dwindling resources, and find ways to produce more.
  • Assign tasks to the town’s residents, or help them with their own.
  • Harvest materials and improve the town’s infrastructure.
  • Build and upgrade crafting stations to create advanced equipment.
S2_Management.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Addison: please exposit the scene as stupidly and in the most uninventive way possible?
Isko: oh yeah, so you're in year 2050, on Titan (one of Saturn's moons, I'll have you know), you're a strong human female protag, as you well know, anyway so here's your first quest, etc... I just hope you didn't pay more than $5 cause I really took it easy writing this shit.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried the demo and wrote an impression for my blog. You can read it either there, or here down below if interested.

Subterrain: Mines of Titan – Demo Impressions

Subterrain: Mines of Titan is an turn-based tactical RPG set on the moon of Titan, and it’s made by the dev-team Pixellore Inc. My initial impression from the demo is that it’s very similar to Stoneshard, everything from the visual style, to general gameplay and survival mechanics – like having to eat and drink. Personally, I wouldn’t say this a bad thing, because both games look fantastic with great pixel-art. It looks very soothing for the eyes, especially with the awesome lighting system that helps setting the mood and graphical richness. Yeah, I’m a sucker for this kind of visuals.

The game starts with you waking up from stasis in a dinky medical station on the moon of Titan. The medical team nearby tells you have been asleep for several years, and your condition is as confusing to you as to them. Slowly, you are presented with the conditions of the mining base, and stuff isn’t looking good. Everything is in disrepair, and there is a mystery that needs solving with a vanished colony – the colony you were part of. And so far, you have been the only one recovered.
The mysterious “demo” strikes again!

A very good start I would have to say with snappy dialogue hurrying you along, overall, the mystery had me hooked. The whole thing had a feeling of Total Recall, mixed with Doom 3 – a pretty darn good mix. What is interesting here, and I’m not sure if part of the demo, or this is how it will be in the full release – and that is that you are playing a set character by the name of Addison Thorpe. The dialogue and story progression seems fairly linear as well, with not many choices to be made. I don’t mind it too much, but it does lower the RPG value a bit, but at the same time it does gets easier to tell a good story with an established character.
Gridbased inventory… mmmm

Mechanic wise, the game is in turn-based mode, so the game only moves when you do. Don’t fret, though, from what I played the small base you inhabit felt very much alive with NPCs moving around and such. Combat is as simple as clicking on the enemy you want to kill, which gets a bit more advanced with unlockable perks that get added as active skills during combat. You get to pick themselves of course, and they depend on usage, and amount of perk points you have unlocked. You gain experience by using, instead of allocating stat points – a system I think fits this kind of game perfectly.

As mentioned Subterrain: Mines of Titan also have survival mechanics that has you scavenge for food and drink, you will also have to rent a room for a bed to rest in. Lots of interesting things to juggle, and if you don’t manage your needs, you get hit by all kind of penalties. But as it is, there is more than one way to alleviate negative effects. It seems to work fine in the demo, and not overbearing like in some games, which has you eating food every second minute to survive.
Death for you, 5 XP for me!

There is also a fairly big crafting apparatus, which means you will have to collect all kind of weird broken items like a crazed hobo if you want to use this system. I’m not sure how necessary it will be in the full game, but it seems a lot of important products will have to be made through this. I have nothing against it per se, but stuff can quickly go out of hand when there is too much junk to collect. I mostly ignored this in the demo, since all the stuff I used in the demo could be found, or bought.

All in all, the demo impressed me. It looks good, seems to have a good story, and the setting is perfect – creepy moon of Titan, what is not to like? I recommend giving it a try, it isn’t too long, well-polished and fun. I personally can’t wait for the full release, which probably is a few years away, unfortunately. And not to forget, the music is very atmospheric, it reminds me a lot of the music from Aliens.

Thought it was pretty good. It shows great promise.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Subterrain: Mine of Titans Publisher Announcement
Hello everyone! We are proud to announce that Subterrain: Mine of Titans is now being published by Freedom Games[freedom.gg]. For those of you who may not know, a game publisher can take care of a lot of the business and marketing side of releasing a game. That includes managing our store pages, marketing and advertising the game, helping showcase the game at both digital and live events, PR, and a lot more. Really it lets us totally focus on working to make the game the best it can be, and provides us with the resources to do so.

You may also be concerned about horror stories of publishers ruining the vision of a game or forcing arbitrary restrictions on the dev team. For Freedom, that can’t be further from the reality we have experienced with them. Freedom has been a great partner to us, only enhancing and supporting our vision. We were very careful when considering whether to go with a publisher or not, and selected Freedom because they are committed to our vision of the game, and only want to see it reach its full potential as we see it. We maintain complete creative and development freedom, and Freedom (heh) wouldn’t have it any other way!

Thank you all for your support.

Discord: https://discord.gg/ERRSBJafXZ
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Pixellore

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1573100/view/5466859616689327108
Recruiting Alpha Testers!
Hi everyone!

We are in the process of recruiting some alpha testers for Subterrain: Mines of Titan because we believe that we have entered development stage where we are focusing on polishing the game.

If you’re interested with testing the game for us, please fill in the required form! We will be making selections and reaching out to individuals with specific instructions on how to join our testing team.

Please note that when joining our test team, you will be also required to join our Discord channel where we will be listening to the active feedback. Recruitment will be a continuous process until we have reached end of the beta period so even if you can’t be a tester right now, save the link and apply later

Thank you and have a great day!

6a1c985510316f62c1e4471240339118db38c06b.png

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
From discord:
Just added feature in the game, where if player gets infected and becomes critical, it will turn into the monster body and play as monster until you die or recovers from it. This is something that we really wanted to do in the first Subterrain, but could not get around doing it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1573100/view/4201365791528877641
Subterrain: Mines of Titan Releases on March 12th!!
Subterrain: Mines of Titan is set to launch on March 12th, and the time for survival is nigh!
We cannot wait for you to descend into the depths with us, and have a BRAND NEW trailer for you:
A heartfelt thank you to everyone who's been part of this incredible journey over the last 3+ years of development. The mystery of Titan beckons!

Uncover the Secrets of Titan:

Embark on a quest for survival as you confront the lurking horrors below. Will you craft equipment, research new gear, fight against overwhelming odds, or uncover your true fate? Titan, an unrelenting world, demands your resilience, and every step you take advances time. Only you can intervene to prevent the collapse of Camp Huygens.

Survival Management:

Survive the unforgiving environment of Titan by managing resources, tracking time, and exploring abandoned mining tunnels. The fate of Camp Huygens rests on your shoulders.

⚔️
Turn-Based Combat:

Confront monstrous foes with brisk, intuitive turn-based combat. Choose your approach—close and personal or strategic plinking from afar. Harness the power of nanomachines, evolve alongside creatures, and adapt tactics to conquer Titan's mines.

Crafting System:

Craft an arsenal of items, salvage materials, and produce tools, weapons, protective gear, explosives, and survival upgrades. Enhance yourself with medical supplies and continue research to unearth the terrible truth.

Join the Countdown:

Wishlist Subterrain: Mines of Titan now to be among the first to brave the depths.

Subterrain: Mines of Titan

RPGSci-fiSurvivalExplorationPost-apocalyptic
March 2024
+ Wishlist
Coming Soon

Stay Connected:

Join our community on Discord, and follow us on Twitter for updates and exclusive insights.

The countdown to survival begins! Get ready to descend into the abyss.

Until launch,
Pixellore️

Covenant

Savant
This looks so much more cartoony and unappealing than the original Subterrain. It's a shame, the first one was a great atmospheric survival horror, but I don't see them recapturing that magic from what's shown in the trailers.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1573100/view/4125931766235482677
Get ready to descend into the abyss...
Subterrain: Mines of Titan is out NOW!
Subterrain: Mines of Titan is available NOW!
Life is interesting and here we are ... After 3 years of development we are finally launching Subterrain: Mines of Titan today! We had so many ups and downs for this project but one thing is for sure. We could not have done this without our dedicated team and our community.

Again we offer a massive thank you to everyone who's been part of this incredible journey through the years of development. The mystery of Titan beckons, and we can't wait for you to uncover its secrets.
Uncover the Secrets of Titan
Embark on a quest for survival as you confront the lurking horrors below. Will you craft equipment, research new gear, fight against overwhelming odds, or uncover your true fate? Titan, an unrelenting world, demands your resilience, and every step you take advances time. Only you can intervene to prevent the collapse of Camp Huygens.

Survival Management
Survive the unforgiving environment of Titan by managing resources, tracking time, and exploring abandoned mining tunnels. The fate of Camp Huygens rests on your shoulders.

⚔️ Turn-Based Combat
Confront monstrous foes with brisk, intuitive turn-based combat. Choose your approach—close and personal or strategic plinking from afar. Harness the power of nanomachines, evolve alongside creatures, and adapt tactics to conquer Titan's mines.

Crafting System
Craft an arsenal of items, salvage materials, and produce tools, weapons, protective gear, explosives, and survival upgrades. Enhance yourself with medical supplies and continue research to unearth the terrible truth.
How You Can Support Us
As a small indie team, there are so many ways you can help support us and the game.
  • If you buy the game, please consider leaving an honest review on Steam! Reviews have a massive impact on indie games and we'd love to see your thoughts and experiences through a review.
  • Sharing the game through word of mouth with family and friends or on social media with your followers can really help spread the word and give others a chance to discover their next adventure. So many indies are discovered with a simple share or casual discussion.
  • Join the amazing community in our Discord and follow us on Twitter to share in the excitement and get to know other adventurous gamers exploring Titan.

The mystery of Titan beckons!
Pixellore️

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's got a time limit.

We still have a doomsday scenario (without it it won't be a Subterrain), but we made it much more forgiving than the first game. Also, everything is turn based, so you have plenty of time to think about what you want to do in the game.

Pure retardation. Pass.

Harthwain

Magister
Honestly, I'd love to see Subterrain 1-style game with basic survival aspects and basic crafting (Resident Evil-style), without all the base building crap/items recycling crap that was in the first game, which detracted heavily from just exploring the base (in my opinion). Besides that, this game looks like such a departure from Subterrain that I don't even consider it to be the part of the same series.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished this the other day. So, here is my review. You can read it down below, or visit my site here, if interested.

Subterrain: Mines of Titan is a captivating sci-fi game with plenty of different gameplay mechanics that somehow end up mashing well together, both in gameplay and in a narrative sense. It also makes the game what it is – a tactical combat survival horror RPG in space with light colony management. A mouthful, I know. All this might sound cool on paper, however, it’s not without issues. The heavy emphasis on crafting might break the game for some, even if the combat simulation and general dungeon crawling are excellent. The main reason for this is that you can’t do anything if you don’t learn and make heavy use of the crafting and research mechanics since everything from armor to weapons will be forged by you. There are tons of loot to pick up, but the majority of the stuff will only be there to be dismantled to create better items or to be researched. So, don’t go expecting a casual time spent when you start Subterrain: Mines of Titan!

Titan moon
The survival nightmare starts with you waking up from cryosleep in a run-down colony on the moon of Titan. You are quickly cued in on the situation, and as it is, you are unique compared to the other survivors. You are a survivor of the old colony that got destroyed which means you have nanomachines in your blood to protect you from the mutant infection, something the current inhabitants of the colony are missing. In short, this means, you are the only one who can venture into the old mines underneath the colony to collect resources and discover what happened to the community. You also need to find out why communication has been cut with home base. Let the sci-fi mystery commence!

All alone against hordes of mutants… what else is new

The premise is very Dead Space, with a hefty amount of Aliens, and Doom mixed in. This means the atmosphere is tense, so right up my alley when it comes to sci-fi horror. The writing in general is fine too, everything from the characters to the slow revealing of the fate of the colony. What I think drags down the game a bit on the writing aspect is that there are no real choices when it comes to dialogue that touches the quests. There are a couple of cringe-inducing quests, like delivering love letters and such that I don’t think fit the setting that well. The problem here is either you take the quest or you don’t, which is fair. But in the style of the game in question, you really want to do all the quests as they give you unique rewards meant for your survival. If there were some choices beyond the binary ignore, or happily do, it would add some personality to your avatar. Now, your character will always gladly deliver love letters between bashing zombie abominations from space in the mines. It makes the tone of the story take roller coaster trips periodically, going from abject horror to helping someone find their true and only love in a mutant infested colony.

Besides these quests, and that your character is rail-roaded narrative-wise, the writing is as said solid. I found the mystery of the colony intriguing, and even when the fatigue of killing mutants set in, I still pushed on to find out what happened on Titan. For what it’s worth, the story does its job well!

Whack!

Mutant fighting
While the story is interesting, the core of the game is the turn-based fighting and the dungeon diving. Two aspects that work well, but what might put some people off the game is the huge focus on research and crafting. Almost all equipment you will use during the game will be crafted by you through research and by finding the required loot to dismantle. I find the manufacturing and tinkering enjoyable enough, as it’s always interesting to see what the next disgusting mutant flesh will unlock. However, it does put a hamper on scavenging and exploring since you will rarely find anything that you can use on the spot. Most equipment seems to work on a tier-based system. This means you won’t be able to craft anything extravagant from the first few levels in the mine, as the required resources can’t be found on these levels. This system becomes more or less routine, and honestly, a bit disappointing. You might think you are a step ahead of the game, but no. While your researchers have discovered a new fancy rifle for you to use, you won’t be able to craft it because it requires a special new ore that can only be extracted on levels further down below where you have not been yet.

Well, don’t you look spiffy
It simplifies the choice of what gear to use because the next stage is always better. There are a few outliners thankfully, like grenades and other cool gear that exist outside of this system. These items always seem useful, and make the progression a more customizable experience than just jumping from one equipment tier to the next.

Regardless of my issues with this, the down and gritty side of Subterrain: Mines of Titan, aka, the fighting and environmental dangers are fun and deadly. Both you and the creatures from the mutant mine from hell hit hard and fast, and that is not all, they all come with different kinds of attacks that will inflict all kinds of nasty wounds. Ceiling critters with razor-sharp scythes as arms will make you bleed like a pig when they drop down to ambush you – while football-sized infected blobs of goo will poison you with their acidic spit. All these wounds require special medical care that makes the combat much more compelling than just having two parties wail at each other until death. You need to be prepared for all kinds of eventualities.

In my playthrough, I went with rifle for range, and sword and board for when the critters come a little too close for comfort. There are a lot of perks to make any combat style viable that you earn through XP, but after so many hours in the game, ranged combat is the clear winner here. This is based on that most monsters will be melee-based, and softening them up with a few well-aimed laser shots to the chest worked wonders for the longevity of my avatar. However, that’s not to say that running a pure melee dude isn’t viable, it’s just that close-combat enjoyers will take a lot more damage on average. This might become a pain down the line thanks to equipment durability and all the healing you will have to do.

Right in the kisser

Planning ahead
You can say Subterrain: Mines of Titan consists of three stages. The first one involves the actual surface colony. Here you can do some minor quests on occasion, but most of your time here will be busy getting your fellow colonists creating and researching stuff for you. This is the time to prepare, to make sure you have all the things you need to survive in the mines, like collecting food and water for a hard day in mutant hell. The next stage is the mine, which is the main event of the game. Here you will fight all kinds of horrors from space, explore to discover what happened to the colony, and collect interesting shiny loot for you to dismantle. The third stage is the mutant attacks that happen from time to time. You see, the mutants are not happy with you guys frolicking on the surface. And to end this so-called “happiness” they will send monstrosities to ruin your and your colonist’s day. You will always be warned when this will happen, so you can make it back in time. The thing is, you must huff it back because if you don’t the mutants will destroy the power core and with that destroy the colony. In the words of Private Hudson: “Game over man, GAME OVER!“.

Welcome to the colony, chump!
As expected this comes with some complications. While mutant defense can be fun since the gameplay differs (think tower defense) from the main slaughtering in the mines, it takes away from the dungeon diving. The first few times it happens it’s an okay event, but after a while, it becomes a tad annoying, as each time it occurs, you will have to abandon everything you are doing to rush back to base. The eternal mutant assault, in combination with the crafting, and running back and forth to base, can and probably will strain a lot of players after a while. That is why I said that this game is not a casual experience. While the fighting, and exploring can at times feel “casual” when you fight easy monsters, everything else surrounding the game will require your attention. Now, I don’t mind this aspect since I prefer a more serious challenge even if it means I have to craft all my gear, but I can’t deny it gets tedious running back to base every so often to get anything done.

The review might come off as skitzo because overall, I did very much enjoy my time with Subterrain: Mines of Titan. You just have to be a little masochistic to truly make headway, and be tolerant of “dead air” so to speak, thanks to the constant running around. What I’m trying to say is that the positives outweigh the negatives, however, when you enter the mines, you have to prepare to suffer the grind or perish like a rookie space marine in a xenomorph hive.

Now to figure out how to make this jump

The space colony look
The pixel art style and look of Subterrain: Mines of Titan are excellent. I’m a sucker for pixel art, but just not any kind, it got to be of quality, and this game surely oozes that. It’s art of the highest caliber. It’s clean and sharp, and it’s very easy visually to see what everything is supposed to be. The animations are a bit lacking, you could say, but in this type of game, I don’t mind it much. Yet, the game is not completely static since there are some motion going on, from environmental to creatures eating bullets. They are just in with very few frames. It all comes together well and is very pleasing to the eyes. The UI is also calculated into this, as I found it fitting and immersive to the sci-fi theme of the game.

Sound and music follow the same high standard. The close combat sounds are meaty since you can clearly hear the sword tear into the flesh of the mutants, or yours for that matter. The monsters sound great as well, from the screaming to the huffing and puffing in the dark corners of the space station. A particular stand out is the music. Brooding and very good at setting the horror mood, and you can hear where the inspirations come from, like the movie Aliens. All in all, a great and impressive package that probably won’t disappoint, unless you for some reason hate pixel art graphics and space horror-esque sound and music. But why would you do that?

Oh no, the scientists have turned as well

In conclusion
Despite all my complaints, especially about the more tedious aspect of Subterrain: Mines of Titan, I loved my time with it. I just feel that these issues must be pointed out because even for someone who liked the game, they can take a toll. The solution is to only game when you are in the right mindset and feel fresh so neurons can work undisturbed. Otherwise, the straining parts of the game might quickly turn to annoyance. Subterrain: Mines of Titan has many things that it does right. The atmosphere is tense and the setting is mysterious. The game sounds and looks fantastic, and the meat of the experience, aka the combat is engaging, even after 200 confirmed mutant kills. So with that, I highly recommend the game!

Thanks for reading.

Good game, fun combat. But avoid if you hate any form of crafting!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom