Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Apparently they're going to officially reveal the recently "leaked" (it got casually mentioned in some investors' call or whatever) sequel next year:

kbvgdmfavh6c1.jpeg

Nitterlink confirming the above wasn't 'shopped:

https://nitter.1d4.us/Subnautica/status/1735707917708304723#m

I'm not really following how common Below Zero apologists are and the devs revealed jack shit so far on the direction, so I can't really guess if they'll learn the right lessons from criticism of BZ or the drooling retards/developer delusions will drown out the very justified criticism of BZ, and thus the devs continue on the path of decline.

I guess I'll just default to cautious pessimism until (if ever) proven wrong once they actually start talking about what they want to do with the new game.

jackofshadows

Magister
I think those devs are beyond hopeless. However if they'll make something really beatiful and w/o that clipping problem guess it might be worth to mess around for a bit.

Last edited:

Iucounu

Educated
I can't really guess if they'll learn the right lessons from criticism of BZ or the drooling retards/developer delusions will drown out the very justified criticism of BZ, and thus the devs continue on the path of decline.
Talent is one thing, but I suspect they're also trying to appeal to as big a market as possible, so I expect the decline to be intentional.

I guess I'll just default to cautious pessimism until (if ever) proven wrong once they actually start talking about what they want to do with the new game.
Game Director Cleveland has removed his Twitter pronouns and BLM hashtag long ago, which suggests he's malleable, for good and for worse. They'll likely go with whatever is in vogue next year.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can't really guess if they'll learn the right lessons from criticism of BZ or the drooling retards/developer delusions will drown out the very justified criticism of BZ
I still wanna believe the cramped scope of BZ and the bafflingly retarded dry land section was just due to the fact BZ was originally conceived as a DLC and the sequel will be a bigger and better original.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I can't really guess if they'll learn the right lessons from criticism of BZ or the drooling retards/developer delusions will drown out the very justified criticism of BZ
I still wanna believe the cramped scope of BZ and the bafflingly retarded dry land section was just due to the fact BZ was originally conceived as a DLC and the sequel will be a bigger and better original.
I personally think the first Subnautica was an accidental lightening in a bottle, so I have no hope for a proper sequel.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hopefully they just wanted to try something different with BZ but they learned from their mistakes.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Well, I can't recommend any game that comes close to the original Subnautica (cause I still didn't find any), but I did watch animated mini-series recently
that captured the feeling very well - Scavengers Reign. Anyway, I liked the show and I think fans of nautica might enjoy it. Give it a try.

I would expect nothing less from fans of playing a turd underwater.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just finished the game, clocking in 80+ hours in 3 weeks. Great game with a unique experience.

But that said, knowing what those soyjaks at Unknown Worlds did to Simon Chylinski, I cannot in good faith buy their 3rd game (not like I care about the 2nd anyway after reading up on reviews). The music was a big part of what made the first game great for me anyway.

Machocruz

Arcane
As I assumed, game is not that interesting on a second play. Not that I intended to, I just got it in my mind to go back in and build up my base some more. But somehow I lost my end game save and only had one from mid game. No Prawn or Cyclops yet. Did the Aurora, which was cool the first time but now just eh. Have the Prawn now, but for the life of me can't find all the drill or grapple arm parts despite doing more intentional exploration than I did the first time. The combination of darkness and geography make exploration/navigation kind of tedious when when purposefully looking for things. Enjoyed finding things "organically" the first time.

Iucounu

Educated
As I assumed, game is not that interesting on a second play.
Could it be because the gameworld isn't challenging enough? Maybe there are mods that increase the lethality of the wildlife, and/or reduces the amount of food.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Yeah there are some good mods in that vein, although the big one Return of the Ancients, seems to have been in development forever and only youtubers seem to be able to play it, if there is a public version you need to hunt for it on their discord or something.

Even without RoTA, plenty of good mods to pick from:
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica

Sadly still none that imports equipment from natural selection 2.

Machocruz

Arcane
Could it be because the gameworld isn't challenging enough? Maybe there are mods that increase the lethality of the wildlife, and/or reduces the amount of food.
I don't think more challenge would make a difference to me. I'd say the absolute greatest strength of the game was the sense of mystery and discovery it offered, and progression tied to that. All the content hinges on it. It's a game of great moments, surprises, and wonder. But since I've uncovered and discovered everything, that's gone. You can't get back the feeling of finding the islands the first time, or finally getting on the Aurora, entering the Lost River, getting all the vehicles and buildings, etc. Like with many other things, familiarity takes the shine off. A mod that adds a new adventure/content, with new locations, tech progression, etc. would be my choice, if any.

But it was more of an observation than a complaint, noticing I'm lukewarm about playing it like a sandbox. It was great the first time around, that's more important.

Last edited:
I don't think more challenge would make a difference to me. I'd say the absolute greatest strength of the game was the sense of mystery and discovery it offered, and progression tied to that. All the content hinges on it. It's a game of great moments, surprises, and wonder. But since I've uncovered and discovered everything, that's gone. You can't get back the feeling of finding the islands the first time, or finally getting on the Aurora, entering the Lost River, getting all the vehicles and buildings, etc. Like with many other things, familiarity takes the shine off. A mod that adds a new adventure/content, with new locations, tech progression, etc. would be my choice, if any.

But it was more of an observation than a complaint, noticing I'm lukewarm about playing it like a sandbox. It was great the first time around, that's more important.

What you described may be one of the reasons I didn't like Below Zero.

Iucounu

Educated
I'd say the absolute greatest strength of the game was the sense of mystery and discovery it offered, and progression tied to that. All the content hinges on it. It's a game of great moments, surprises, and wonder. But since I've uncovered and discovered everything, that's gone. You can't get back the feeling of finding the islands the first time, or finally getting on the Aurora, entering the Lost River, getting all the vehicles and buildings, etc. Like with many other things, familiarity takes the shine off.
That's true. But I enjoy replaying other similar games (ARK Survival Evolved, The Long Dark) even when the areas are familiar, perhaps because they are harder.
In much of my first Subnautica playthrough I was way more careful than I needed, until I realized most of the wildlife just attacked vehicles, not the player character.

A mod that adds a new adventure/content, with new locations, tech progression, etc. would be my choice, if any.
There is a long but narrow cave system close to the Aurora that's a real challenge to explore, since it's too narrow to bring vehicles, too long for the air supply to last, and very easy to get lost in. I had to bring extra air tanks and drop on the way in. Great easter egg location, but alas completely unitilized by the game.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I'd say the absolute greatest strength of the game was the sense of mystery and discovery it offered, and progression tied to that. All the content hinges on it. It's a game of great moments, surprises, and wonder. But since I've uncovered and discovered everything, that's gone.
This is why people like me are patiently waiting for Return of the Ancients.
You can already get the extra fauna separately and there are a lot of equipment mods (including an rng mod or there used to be, that randomised recipes and materials), but the piece de resistance will be the story content and an expanded questline.

Machocruz

Arcane

What you described may be one of the reasons I didn't like Below Zero.
Hmm, I figured a whole new game would have that feeling again. Because it's just more of the same? Or its mystery box/content isn't as good?
That's true. But I enjoy replaying other similar games (ARK Survival Evolved, The Long Dark) even when the areas are familiar, perhaps because they are harder.
In much of my first Subnautica playthrough I was way more careful than I needed, until I realized most of the wildlife just attacked vehicles, not the player character.

I played a bit of Ark, seemed like it could get crazy. There is more in the way of conventional gaming challenge and sandbox there, more involved building and crafting, stuff to kill and tame, but I wonder if it's like Conan where you're not given much, if any, narrative hook, which is the thing Subnautica does better than every other survival craft game I've played, at the expense of what those games do well. Didn't play TLD, but it looked like more of a serious and focused survival game with more randomness, scarcity, and uncertainty. All these games offer different things, and that's great.

but the piece de resistance will be the story content and an expanded questline.
Exactly the kind of mod that builds on its core strength. Would also be a great opportunity to give more concrete reasons to go to old, high risk areas, which didn't have much to offer for the trouble. Only went to Dunes because it was conveniently next to a biome I had to be in, saw a wreck and some good resource nodes near the border, then later to troll Reapers with the Prawn.

Iucounu

Educated
I played a bit of Ark, seemed like it could get crazy. There is more in the way of conventional gaming challenge and sandbox there, more involved building and crafting, stuff to kill and tame,
ARK contains an almost bloated amount of gameplay mechanics; and also relatively free roaming wildlife, sometimes resulting in unpredictable situations reminding me of Stalker's A-Life.
In ARK, roaming dinos can also attack and destroy most bases you build, unlike in Subnautica where only vehicles seem to take any real damage from creatures.

but I wonder if it's like Conan where you're not given much, if any, narrative hook
Yes, it's primarily a multiplayer or player vs environment type of game. No quests at all, just like in TLD's (recommended) Survival Mode.

which is the thing Subnautica does better than every other survival craft game I've played, at the expense of what those games do well. Didn't play TLD, but it looked like more of a serious and focused survival game with more randomness, scarcity, and uncertainty. All these games offer different things, and that's great.
I didn't think Subnautica's plot detracted from its normal gameplay, unlike the silly plot in TLD's Story Mode (Wintermute) which both relies on cutscenes and interferes with the basic gameplay
(for example, in Mystery Lake all generic bears are removed and replaced with the single plot bear)

Machocruz

Arcane
I didn't think Subnautica's plot detracted from its normal gameplay
Not at all. It elevated it, if I wasn't clear on that before. The gameplay is perfectly fine for the narrative journey, but outside of that I think games like Ark, CE, 7DTD, etc. offer more

Elthosian

Arcane
As I assumed, game is not that interesting on a second play. Not that I intended to, I just got it in my mind to go back in and build up my base some more. But somehow I lost my end game save and only had one from mid game. No Prawn or Cyclops yet. Did the Aurora, which was cool the first time but now just eh. Have the Prawn now, but for the life of me can't find all the drill or grapple arm parts despite doing more intentional exploration than I did the first time. The combination of darkness and geography make exploration/navigation kind of tedious when when purposefully looking for things. Enjoyed finding things "organically" the first time.

Try Rain World, it takes the portrayal of its ecosystem as a hostile, living thing very seriously. The tales of Dark Souls/Hollow Knight junkies jumping in and getting filtered are legendary. It makes Subnautica (itself a great game) feel like a theme park visit, tbh, and I say it as somebody who struggled a lot with it due to fearing the ocean. What makes it superior is how complex the AI is and how all creatures interact with each other organically. Also, in regard to your complaint about further runs, the first playthrough has you escape most creatures, so it feels like a stealth survival experience whereas the next two campaigns have you face the wildlife with more combat proficient characters, enabling you to see a wholly different side of the ecosystem and a lot of AI patterns you will not see in the first run.

Try Rain World, it takes the portrayal of its ecosystem as a hostile, living thing very seriously. The tales of Dark Souls/Hollow Knight junkies jumping in and getting filtered are legendary. It makes Subnautica (itself a great game) feel like a theme park visit, tbh, and I say it as somebody who struggled a lot with it due to fearing the ocean. What makes it superior is how complex the AI is and how all creatures interact with each other organically. Also, in regard to your complaint about further runs, the first playthrough has you escape most creatures, so it feels like a stealth survival experience whereas the next two campaigns have you face the wildlife with more combat proficient characters, enabling you to see a wholly different side of the ecosystem and a lot of AI patterns you will not see in the first run.

Sounded promising but it's a platformer. Does it have exploration or building as good as Terraria?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom