Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Tygrende

Arbiter
My point is, if we didn't know there was more story planned, we woouldn't really be able to tell. There are very few rather subtle things in the game that point at more, the main offender being the poem.
Oh yeah, the poem that literally spells out the prerequisites to meeting the mysterious figure from the beginning. Which has been the one and only goal for the entire game from the very start. Very subtle indeed. Couldn't have guessed there was supposed to be more than just collapsing on the floor at the end.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They could have released a finished game if they weren't so delusional about what they could accomplish with the funds they had. At least they were less delusional than the Realms Beyond folks though. :)

almondblight

Arcane
Not sure why they don't release a Stygian: Enhanced Edition. It'd take a lot less time than creating a completely new game, they'd get a push from being a new Steam release, get sales they've been missing out on, and win back a lot of good will from backers (which is pretty crucial to getting good word of mouth out there).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not sure why they don't release a Stygian: Enhanced Edition. It'd take a lot less time than creating a completely new game, they'd get a push from being a new Steam release, get sales they've been missing out on, and win back a lot of good will from backers (which is pretty crucial to getting good word of mouth out there).

From what they have said...

The decision for Stygian 2 is not entirely up to us

...I assume they don't have full control of the Stygian IP anymore

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Does 1C have any developers under their wing who might do Stygian 2?

V_K

Arcane

Does 1C have any developers under their wing who might do Stygian 2?
You better pray they don't.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Is there any chance I could still get my money back at this point? I pledged during the initial campaign. When it was released I redeemed the Steam code and downloaded it - it's been installed for years, but I haven't played it. I took the standard "wait for patches/updates" approach that seems prudent with Kickstarter games. Then I read reviews about it being unfinished, but thought they still might get around to it eventually. But by now it's obvious that isn't going to happen. Still, it's been so long now, plus I redeemed the Steam code. Thoughts?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any chance I could still get my money back at this point? I pledged during the initial campaign. When it was released I redeemed the Steam code and downloaded it - it's been installed for years, but I haven't played it. I took the standard "wait for patches/updates" approach that seems prudent with Kickstarter games. Then I read reviews about it being unfinished, but thought they still might get around to it eventually. But by now it's obvious that isn't going to happen. Still, it's been so long now, plus I redeemed the Steam code. Thoughts?
Just ask them at kickstarter

Aside of the cliffhanger and easy combat (tried the demo and would go with an unfit-for-combat character anyways) -- any else reason to avoid this?

I'm kinda tired of elves, power armors, witcher senses and Mad Max in my RPGs. Plus a sucker for Lovecraft (played and finished even the fairly so-so Call Of Cthulhu 2018).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Aside of the cliffhanger and easy combat (tried the demo and would go with an unfit-for-combat character anyways) -- any else reason to avoid this?

If you don't mind this, go for it, it plays reasonably well just save often to avoid any bugs that can stop your progress

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm currently playing this and really enjoying it. For some reason I thought this was like the other Cthulhu game where you're underwater, so ignored it, but this is a traditional RPG with everything one would expect from an RPG. I'm still in the first town, and so far haven't encountered any bugs (thankfully). I went in to this game expecting West of Loathing, but got something much more inline with all the classics I love. I might see it different if I went in expected Arcanum and got this though.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Okay, I get it now. It was still a decent game, and I think well worth the money. Definitely petered out some. I didn't finish it, but I don't finish most games. I got as many hours and as much fun out of it as I did with Expedition Vikings and Expedition Rome (not related at all. Just games I played after this).

Vatnik Wumao
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones Giveaway
Greetings cult brethren,
To celebrate the momentous occasion that is the first Lovecraftian Days event on Steam, we will be giving away free copies of Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, so that even more souls can be lost to the all-consuming madness!

If you dare, simply watch our pre-recorded gameplay stream, we will drop 5 Steam keys in the chat, one by one at random times between 10am - 11am PDT on Sunday, April 9 (7pm - 8pm CEST) and then again 5 more between 5pm - 6pm PDT the same day (2am - 3am CEST on Monday, April 10).

Best of luck, cultists!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom