Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Streets of Rogue 2 - goes open world

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_25bf8f4c0ce8494c24fb8219f1f585c938cab46a.600x338.jpg
ss_03ea09d1b48c77678b12192862c0c11da8c091da.600x338.jpg

Streets of Rogue 2 is a procedurally generated open-world game about player choice, freedom, and anarchic fun. The game takes inspiration from open-world and crafting/survival titles ranging from Skyrim to GTA to Valheim to Stardew Valley, with an emphasis on streamlined and fast-paced gameplay. It also adds the free-form, experimentation-driven, emergent elements of RPGs like Deus Ex to create a true sandbox experience.

The game is set in a huge and seamless randomly generated world filled with cities, forests, islands, caves, and the occasional cannibal outpost. You are free to explore and create your own story as you please, whether that means gaining fame and glory through your good deeds throughout the land, forming a small-but-loyal army of miscreants who stage a government takeover, or getting rich with a farming empire.

Streets of Rogue 2 is a game where anything can happen, and probably will!

Features

• Play the game YOUR way!
    Don’t want to kill anybody? That’s cool! Want to hack computers? Got ya covered! In the mood for some laid-back mineral grinding or carrot farming? Go for it!

• Endless replayability!
    Whether you want to pick up and play for an hour or sit down and binge for nine, Streets of Rogue 2’s randomly generated worlds and massive gameplay variety will quickly make it one of your go-to “forever games”.

• Easy to learn, tough to master!
    Streets of Rogue 2 is user-friendly enough for anyone to jump in and play, and has enough complexity and depth to satiate the hardcore among us.

• Online and local cooperative modes!
    Build your empire together, or make your own unique marks on opposite sides of the game world!

• Play as a large number of wildly different character classes!
    Scientist, hacker, vampire, thief, wrestler, gorilla… or some oddball combination of all of these!

• Super-advanced artificial intelligence!
    Remember that your actions have consequences for your reputation as you gain the favor or ire of these virtual humans.

• Stupidly huge variety of items!
    Shrink rays, hypnotizing devices, boomboxes, bear traps, banana peels... Oh, and lots of guns, too.

• Build your dream home!
    Or dream fortress! Or dream cave! Or dream shack! Or steal someone else’s home! Or sleep under the stars, the game just doesn’t care!

• Vehicles!
    Load up your posse of ne’er-do-wells into a van, drive solo in a souped-up coupe, glide across the water in your very own speedboat, or tinker around and create your own personal fantasy ride.

• Extreme customization!
    Whether you want an ultra-challenging permadeath experience or a chilled-out good time, a quick jaunt or a world you can play in for dozens of hours, the game lets you tailor the experience to your exact liking.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/512900/view/3686800359968569105
Progress
Here are just a few of the things I've been working on since the last update:

• Country-Wide Road System
    - While roads have existed in SOR2 for a long time now, it's only recently that I've solidified the system for connecting all of the major locations in the world. The game features 2-lane roads, 4-lane roads, nice roads, crappy roads, paved roads, dirt roads, and literally 60+ types of unique intersections (yeah we went a little nuts with that). And of course, AI capable of traversing these roads and getting to their destinations, and (mostly) not getting into horrific accidents and traffic jams.

• Weather System
    - Rain, wind, heat waves, and more are now possible. No weatherman/weatherwoman character class... yet :p

• Events System
    - The game has the capability of causing random events to happen to the player. This is based on factors such as the player's standing in the world with various factions, location, and physical status amongst other things. Think of it like the AI director in Left 4 Dead. If you have any suggestions for random events, please post them in the comments below, I'd love to hear them! (To clarify what comprises an "event" as there's been some confusion: It could be literally anything from running across a house full of bears at the side of the road while driving to having a meteor land nearby your location. And normal things too.)

• Sound effects work
    - A big chunk of sound effects from the original game have been updated. In addition, a new system has been put into place to handle ambient sound, which varies based on the player's location, time of day, and other factors. Other cool features have been added as well, such as outside sounds being drowned out when you're indoors. It feels really awesome to be sitting in a cozy home listening to the muted rush of traffic outside.

• Soundtrack news
    - A new composer for Streets of Rogue 2 has been found: Megan McDuffee, who's quickly becoming a household name thanks to her awesome work on the River City Girls OSTs, in addition to a bunch of other game soundtracks. Be sure to give her a follow and check out her stuff! (To reiterate why SOR1 composer Craig wasn't able to return this time, sadly a contract-related issue unrelated to me or tinyBuild prevented him from taking the job. However, he's been a great help in providing guidance for the new OST's potential direction.)

• Pyrotechnics
    - For effects like explosions and fire, the original game tended to use simple particle effects comprised of a bunch of multi-colored squares moving in simple patterns. This time around, we've got actual animations! Yay bigger budget!

• "Lesser" NPCs
    - Up until fairly recently, every NPC in the would was considered "important", and their actions throughout the day would be tracked to varying degrees. In order to fill out the game world and make it feel more alive, I've added large numbers other NPCs living out their lives. That's not to say that these NPCs can't later be flagged as "important" based on the player's interactions with them. But mostly, they exist to add flavor to the world. For example, a city during the daytime will be bustling with lots of random NPCs, who will largely clear out and go elsewhere when night falls. There's a really really complicated system in place for spawning these NPCs, and their presence should feel really natural once I do some tweaking!

• Animated trailer
    - This isn't really related to the game's development in and of itself, but I've been involved in the creation of a fully animated trailer for the game! It's looking super cool, so stay tuned in the coming months, because I can't wait for this thing to drop.

Screenshots??
Sadly I didn't have the time to get any new screenshots together for today (and it doesn't help that my artist Thomas and I are very picky about what we release!), but for those of you who don't follow my on Twitter, here's a li'l screenshot from last Halloween you may have missed! I know, super old -- apologies, we'll try to get some more shots together in the coming months. There's also an animated version here.

2dead26a6ee3d475b5fea5559b6dfb62299022dd.png

WHEN???
No release date news yet, sorry!

For my previous postings about Streets of Rogue 2's development, check out my recent news updates. And also be sure to check out the FAQ found in the SOR2 Steam Forum.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2165810/view/3690185668813288960
“Go Rogue!” Community Contest | Win a Copy of Streets of Rogue 2!
Share your ideas, contribute to the sequel, and win a digital copy of Streets of Rogue 2 when it releases!

Hey there, all!

Today marks the four-year anniversary of the release of Streets of Rogue. I seriously can’t believe it’s been that long since I launched the first game!

As I’m hard at work on the sequel, I’ve decided it would be great to celebrate the occasion by holding a special contest for all of you folks.

As I've already mentioned, I'm currently developing Streets of Rogue 2. You all have been an absolutely amazing community, and it would be a crime to miss out on the opportunity to ask you to contribute to the upcoming game. In other words—suggest cool stuff, and I will add it to the game! Now, let’s agree on how it will work:

RULES

From July 12th to August 2nd, come up with ideas for Streets of Rogue 2. The categories are:

Character Class
Item
Trait/Ability
Mutator
Environmental Object
General Mechanic

Multiple submissions from one contestant are allowed: let your imagination go wild! The only limitation is one idea per category.
Share your ideas with me in the comments under this announcement. You can also go to our Discord server and leave your idea(s) in a dedicated forum channel. Suggestions from each participant should be contained in one post. You can edit your submission to add more ideas at any time before the end of the contest;
Preferred language: English, but other languages are welcome;
Accompany your idea(s) with visual assets if you want. Just upload an image or GIF to Imgur or any other image hosting service and add the link in your comment. Rough drafts are okay;
Feel free to re-submit your own ideas that you've posted previously. If you've already posted an idea that you really loved here on the forums, on the SoR Discord, SoR subreddit, or socials, you can post it again;
The contest concludes on August 2nd, at 6:00 pm CET / 9:00 am PT / 12 am ET. As soon as it ends, I will select the best community idea(s) based on creativity, uniqueness, and how the idea suits my vision of the game;
I will implement the winning ideas in Streets of Rogue 2. When? There is no specific deadline for it, as I wouldn’t want to rush it. But you can rest assured I will;
Now, the prize. The winner(s) of the “Go Rogue!” contest will get a digital copy of Streets of Rogue 2 for the platform of their choice when it comes out.

I can’t wait to see your ideas! Again, you can submit them in the comments section below or in our Discord server's dedicated forum channel.

Oh, and one more thing: did you think I would let you go without a teaser from the sequel? Here you go:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2165810/view/4181103394642655097
New Gameplay Trailer Is Out
We've revealed fresh gameplay at the Triple-I Initiative showcase
O0vNRbp.gif

What's going on, Rogues!
We've just shown a new
Streets of Rogue 2
Gameplay Trailer at Triple-I Initiative. It features fresh gameplay, showcases the sequel's freedom of choice, and teases crazy mechanics like... rat summoning?
More exciting news incoming. We will release a
Playable Demo
at Steam Next Fest in June! Keep your eyes peeled.
Also, here are some new screenshots:

a846c183fd7ca3148c8cb9473a87a5d9267a8a25.png

27a37e1c778a71f4c36a9ae669995998bf7820bb.png

5c492f40249c7835af1cc545f7820a8646cf24ff.png

1aa540477264c4eaecdedcafff935b167092aee5.png

Join the community:
DISCORD

REDDIT

Follow
Streets of Rogue 2
on social media:
TWITTER (X)

TIKTOK

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
This is definitely worth me breaking out the News Submitter of Doom. I loved the first game. I bought it on Steam, picked it up on GoG, and have it for the Switch as well. I'm pretty sure I own it on Android as well. I liked the game that much.

Edit: Why isn't this in the RPG Forum? Or even the rogue forum?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom