Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Strategic Mind Series Overview and Discussion

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Q: What is Strategic Mind?

A: Strategic Mind is a turn-based, beer and pretzels computer wargame from Ukrainian game development studio Starni Games. Like many other computer wargames, it takes a lot of notes from Strategic Simulations' Panzer General series, but it does set itself apart from other Panzer General clones (such as Panzer Corps) by mixing up some of its gameplay design aspects. Currently, there are three games in the series, and you play from the perspective of a major military commander from that era:

1.) Strategic Mind: The Pacific, which is set on the Pacific Front and you can play from the perspective of either Chester Nimitz (United States) or Isoroku Yamamoto (Empire of Japan).

2.) Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg, which is played from the perspective of Franz Halder (German Reich) and is set on both the Western and Eastern fronts.

3.) Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism, which is set largely on the Eastern Front and is played from the perspective of Georgy Zhukov (USSR).

There's also a fourth game currently in development: Strategic Mind: Fight for Freedom. It's set on both the Western and African fronts and it's due to come out in mid 2021.

Q: How is Strategic Mind different?

A: Strategic Mind simulates supply and logistics in a way that directly ties to the gameplay. Supply lines stem from logistical hubs that are under your control. If the hostile AI discovers one of your supply line, it will use hostile units to cut off supply lines and starve your units of resources they need. There's also minor RPG elements - your character unlocks abilities they gain from earning experience points.

There's also branching missions that have an alt-history focus. I won't spoil anything major, I'll just leave you to discover what those actually are, but you can probably fill in the gaps if you know a fair amount of WW2-related trivia.

Q: What do the games actually look like? Can I see some media?

A: Take a gander at these. Here's Blitzkrieg:

ss_b50c35ebd66f3069b52628fce7a0315030674095.1920x1080.jpg
ss_2061df0090517747827655e7ba22eb5344753920.1920x1080.jpg

ss_cc1dd24d70065811f1b60a9af3021c00ce7935da.1920x1080.jpg

The Pacific:

ss_65cba39993cc19567869fa74e13d1922eb5d2cee.1920x1080.jpg

ss_924a3b51b082b46b7b1bd0b4e515f7e5edd935f5.1920x1080.jpg

ss_118b7061460b3c5f382dd030f66d15cf8451cc62.1920x1080.jpg

Spectre of Communism:

ss_20d6035efa8c3ffab79deba145b5cc230f27998c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d033c572fe92f4734927543a7e6fac7267f48f3f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_e25688b3e478dc994defffe83e033b57cadf3ea6.1920x1080.jpg

Q: Where can I buy these?

A: Here:

Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/developer/StarniGames

GOG - https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=starni_games&page=1&sort=popularity&as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Entire series was/is on sale so I grabbed it. Seems like it's basically a Panzer Corp with additonal RPG mechanics with stilted cutscenes with Adolf and his crew.

It's pretty good!

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Entire series was/is on sale so I grabbed it. Seems like it's basically a Panzer Corp with additonal RPG mechanics with stilted cutscenes with Adolf and his crew.

It's pretty good!

the voice acting is hilariously bad, but besides that the games are far better than you expect

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

It's pretty good!

the voice acting is hilariously bad, but besides that the games are far better than you expect

I felt like I was watching an episode of dark place. It is pretty amazing.

the games are fine, but the art/color choices and the UI becomes a chore to use and makes it painful and difficult to pick out and separate the units and objectives. They use some fancy graphics to design units then set on some horrible art/color choices for the map and UI that completely ruin and waste the entire effort and make playing a chore...there are some tweaks you can do to make it better, but still I don't understand their choices.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
After spending a few hours in it yeah, it is kind of bizarre.

Why does a game that only needs something like Fantasy General's graphics require 40 gigs of installation.

Keeping track of all your units is almost impossible. Best method seemed to be to zoom in and pick out the units 3d model from the scenery, it's a pity zooming out doesn't produce a Panzer Corps style board.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Actually, after turning on unit outline it's a bit more managable.

4mEauUL.png

Actually, after turning on unit outline it's a bit more managable.

4mEauUL.png
yeah you can fiddle with and tweak some of the graphic settings to make the colors not show up, make it glow less, I think maybe even make the hexes not glow or glow less (might be not remembering right there though) etc..and it becomes better, but still after awhile it becomes a strain on the eyes and I end up wonder why they just did not go for a easier on the eye design choice? They spent a lot of effort on the individual models then ruined it all with the weird glowing and colors..it makes it very hard to play and there is actually a decent game, although often too many units and objectives I think, but am unsure since I did not get all that far because eye-strain..lol..I still have the game, got it on deep discount and was hoping someday maybe there would be a graphics overhaul or something..

i'm excited to see what starni can do with a larger budget:

I never realized it was the same people. Headquarters looks pretty good to me..I actually like all their game design decisions pretty much in strategic Mind, even their models look good, its just their map and color choices that make it hard to play to me. The Headquarters game looks a lot better and 'cleaner'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom