Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - dark fantasy reimagining of FF1 from Team Ninja

Yuber

Novice
Played for 5h now. Why did they not use this battle system in FF16, is much more fun.

Spike

Educated
Played for 5h now. Why did they not use this battle system in FF16, is much more fun.
This battle system is incredible. I am absolutely in love with this game, I think I'm going gay for it. It's seriously a dream come true of sorts for me. I would have imploded from excitement as a kid if I played it way back. That first griffon side-mission is so crazy fun, and not to mention the bosses have been an absolute gas so far. Very high hopes for rest of the game and DLCs with very high excitement and wonder. Team Ninja is my top 4 working devs alongside FromSoft, Itsuno's team at Capcom (currently toiling away at Dragon's Dogma 2), and Nagoshi-san (Like a Dragon franchise).

EDIT: Amidst my homoerotic gushing, I forgot to ask what I originally intended to: do I need to focus on 1 or 2 jobs ASAP kind of like in Nioh or will I be able to max each tree for most/all of them? It seems like they are pointing me more toward the latter since there's so many jobs and then you unlock more by taking certain trees of the lesser-ones (like Swordsman and Ronin into Warrior). What's your favorite class, fellas? Digging all the sword ones: Swordsman, Sword Fighter (sword and board), Ronin (samurai), and also really digging Pugilist and Lancer. Every single job is enjoyable and unique and I want to max them all. Might even do playthroughs where I only focus on 1 or 2 after this but right now I'm just enjoying.

Spike

Educated
Ok I am in the DLCs now. Wow, they really flesh out the classes. This is the fun kind of grind. Any recommendations on which class is best suited for fists? I am thinking Tyrant or Ninja but would Assassin be better? Trying to stick with an Expert class because that makes the most sense and must be the best...? As opposed to Advanced classes like Monk or whatever. Though I have put points in there to get combos. I have a pretty good dual-build idea. Paladin with sword/shield + Tyrant (or Ninja/Assassin) for fists. The paly is defensive and can get health back with that first skill slot on RB+RT, the Holy whatever. I buff myself with RT and then do RB+RT because it has that little area of effect holy deal which heals you very fast AND does break damage. I build MP with fists and when I'm not facing bosses I mostly trounce these jobbers with fists, specifically the Punch Rush combo to demolish break gauge. But sword 'n board is essential for boss fights because of the high shield defense that just seems to tank everything/most things. I also am considering going Ninja because I do not see Tyrant limit break missions. But Tyrant is also nice because it has the Enchants. However, Ninja has the SEPRARATE tools which seems absurdly powerful to me when coupled with all the fist skills. It's like in how Nioh 2 fists seemed pretty meta for the abyss.

Spike

Educated
I am furious. That big fat fire/water blob boss you fight is SO obnoxious. I am not going to fight him again until I get massive elemental res but it's unbelievable. You can't avoid all of his attacks! I swear, you're GOING to get hit. I block, and because it's elemental, I get hurt. It's unreal. I cannot dodge it because he poops those little fire/water circles EVERYWHERE and then speedruns over to you. I'm so pissed. I get him down so far. I know I will get him eventually and I will laugh at this but it's really retarded and not very fun. But I must do it for the dragon king.

Suicidal

Arcane
I am furious. That big fat fire/water blob boss you fight is SO obnoxious. I am not going to fight him again until I get massive elemental res but it's unbelievable. You can't avoid all of his attacks! I swear, you're GOING to get hit. I block, and because it's elemental, I get hurt. It's unreal. I cannot dodge it because he poops those little fire/water circles EVERYWHERE and then speedruns over to you. I'm so pissed. I get him down so far. I know I will get him eventually and I will laugh at this but it's really retarded and not very fun. But I must do it for the dragon king.
Did you know that you can steal his detonation move and then detonate his circles yourself so that they don't do damage to you?

Spike

Educated
Did you know that you can steal his detonation move and then detonate his circles yourself so that they don't do damage to you?
Oh no kidding, that is what that does? Nice, I never noticed. I just saw him get damaged. But I was whining over nothing - I just needed to level/grind more (which is kind of annoying) and boost my resistances to fire/water. I also put fire/water res on my shield and got the +40% all res from the rat tails for both Assassin and Paladin. Just beat Bahamut. I have come a long way even from yesterday, finally got the ball rolling.

Spike

Educated
Safe to say I am addicted. I played for 4 or 5 (or was it 6 or 7?) hours yesterday then passed out and fell asleep (true mountain dew energy). I then woke up at 1am, which was about 6 or so hours of sleep I believe, maybe less, and played until 9am. I then passed out (mountain dew'd) again until 1pm and woke up a half hour ago. I went biphasic for this game. And I'm about to go in again...

Note: I do not actually consume Mountain Dew and have maybe once or twice in my life.

Spike

Educated
I am angry at this game again. Anima crystals cost HOW MUCH dragon treasure?! And I have to upgrade all my gear just to contend in the level 260+ areas despite beating Bahamut just fine. No, I'm good. Shove it where the sun doesn't shine, Team Ninjer. What a ridiculous decision to have them cost so much. I need to grind now which is not enjoyable. Anyone know where to farm anima crystals? Saw someone on the net say The Rebel.

Yuber

Novice
Battlesystem was great, I liked how many jobs there are.
But I did not like most of the dungeons and the music, I think they could have made it better. But was much fun to play, Team Ninja knows how to make good battle!

Suicidal

Arcane
I am angry at this game again. Anima crystals cost HOW MUCH dragon treasure?! And I have to upgrade all my gear just to contend in the level 260+ areas despite beating Bahamut just fine. No, I'm good. Shove it where the sun doesn't shine, Team Ninjer. What a ridiculous decision to have them cost so much. I need to grind now which is not enjoyable. Anyone know where to farm anima crystals? Saw someone on the net say The Rebel.
There's a very short level where all you need to do is run to the end and kill 1 tentacle monster to win that gives a lot of them at max level. But why do you need that? I don't remember having to grind them. I did run that mission a few times to farm blessed gear in DLC3 but that's it.

Spike

Educated
There's a very short level where all you need to do is run to the end and kill 1 tentacle monster to win that gives a lot of them at max level. But why do you need that? I don't remember having to grind them. I did run that mission a few times to farm blessed gear in DLC3 but that's it.
I want to upgrade my gear and it costs a fortune. I am using the Warrior of Light set you get when you start the DLC. The bonus to Life from the Monk part and fact it revives you from the Mage is why I want to keep using it but maybe I can try other gear. Really just don't want to lose that giant life bonus...

Suicidal

Arcane
I want to upgrade my gear and it costs a fortune. I am using the Warrior of Light set you get when you start the DLC. The bonus to Life from the Monk part and fact it revives you from the Mage is why I want to keep using it but maybe I can try other gear. Really just don't want to lose that giant life bonus...
Have you unlocked the rifts yet? Usually you can get much better gear with 2 affinities by just playing through those.

Spike

Educated
Have you unlocked the rifts yet? Usually you can get much better gear with 2 affinities by just playing through those.
I do not believe so. Thanks for the tip though!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Decided to pick this up as I was craving some action gameplay and everyone is raving about it. Feels like I'm playing a fighting game where I fight multiple enemies at once, with more hp than my, infinite hyper armour, and everything that isn't a jab is so unsafe I may as well just assume I'll get countered by a ToD. Still playing for some reaosn though.

Seriously though, what is with team ninja and making 95% of the moveset given to the player utterly pointless except for styling on trash mobs? When the flying fuck am I ever going to do a 6 hit combo on a fucking boss, and why would I need to do a 6 hit combo on anything weaker that is going to die in 2 hits?

Suicidal

Arcane
Decided to pick this up as I was craving some action gameplay and everyone is raving about it. Feels like I'm playing a fighting game where I fight multiple enemies at once, with more hp than my, infinite hyper armour, and everything that isn't a jab is so unsafe I may as well just assume I'll get countered by a ToD. Still playing for some reaosn though.

Seriously though, what is with team ninja and making 95% of the moveset given to the player utterly pointless except for styling on trash mobs? When the flying fuck am I ever going to do a 6 hit combo on a fucking boss, and why would I need to do a 6 hit combo on anything weaker that is going to die in 2 hits?
A lot of the bosses in the game actually give you opportunities to unload on them you just gotta know when it's safe. Also they give you a bayonetta-like time stop that you can use to combo bosses to half-death but that comes much later.

Damned Registrations

Well, a lot of the bosses apparently doesn't include the first three, because they've all got, at most, like a 1.5 second window where it's safe to attack, and some of my attack chains need like, triple that. And for most of the their attacks it's more like a .5 second window, so all you can get off is a single light attack, maybe two if you're hasted. Bikke had like 12 different fucking attacks, and aside from summoning his minions (which doesn't count, it's basically a phase transition) I don't think a single one left him open to more than a 2 hit 'combo.' Also, if you try to break one of this minions, maybe he decides to meaty you when the animation ends and you just fucking die. So that's cool.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If you're having trouble with finding openings then you might want to consider dual jobbing as a White Mage for Haste. That spell is really good. Regen is nice, too. Red Mage would work as well.

Damned Registrations

Honestly the speed I attack at with haste feels like the intended pace for attacks. Another boss down, another boss with basically no way to use more than a couple jabs for most of the fight. However, I have Ultima now, which is so hilariously broken I suspect it might just trivialize the rest of the game. It's far, far easier to set up than something like... well literally any 2nd strike combo or fully charged spell. I'm honestly baffled at how strong it is on a class that's already the best spellcaster for both white and black magic. I was expecting another dud like Meteor was.

I got assassin too but... I'm giving up on that shit. I love the concept, but I literally just fought a boss with a 1st phase immune to critical hits, and the second phase may as well have been too with how large it was. Maybe I'll try out some of the lance classes later, lances seem decent just by virtue of having more than 3 inches of range on melee.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I found the Dragoon to be quite effective with the Jump attack. It was great for breaking boss stamina. It's been a while since I last played but I recall you can also hold down the Jump button to delay your attack which can be used to avoid enemy attacks.

Damned Registrations

Well I've killed a couple more bosses and played with a few more jobs and I have to say, Sage really is broken. Ultima is just too fucking good. No need to learn the full moveset of a boss when you can just play keepaway while blocking the long distance attacks, then turn around and take out it's entire break meter with a single attack. Or better yet, for two phase bosses; break the first one while spamming aeroga or whatever, and then drop ultima as soon as phase two starts. All the other classes have the same fundamental problem- do anything fancy, and you'll be near a boss for more than one whole second, leading to you getting torn in half. I suppose you could do some ranged nonsense with lance throw or do similar nonsense with some of the weapon skills that come out quickly enough to charge MP at a distance then hit and away with weapon skills, but that's just doing the same thing as Sage but worse. I can't seem to find a playstyle where it's even remotely practical to stay in close and keep the break meter constantly wearing down. Your own gauge recovers too slowly to consistently parry things, evasion iframes are too short to matter vs all the lingering hitboxes that cover massive arcs, so the only play is to react to what the boss did and follow up with quick pokes over and over. Definitely feels like a case of the entire game being balanced around normal difficulty, where you can just tank through stuff and trade hits, but take that away and all these classes become pointless because their gimmicks don't do anything so it's just a matter of a few passive buffs and which weapon you want to poke with.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I found breaking the gauge of bosses to be incredibly easy, but that may be because the Dragoon had good break damage. As is the case with NIOH a lot of what you can do only comes online once you get to the harder difficulties and start getting loot drops with stats to backup more specialized styles of play so other Jobs that may seem pointless on Normal will start to make sense later. It's kind of shitty that they keep doing it this way but it is what it is.

Spike

Educated
I have ditched my Paladin class (despite spending many, many Rat Tails in it...) for Breaker. It is working a lot better. And I have no rat tail skills on it, even. I also have Assassin but I don't even use it since it's so squishy it's pointless. But Breaker with a greatsword is working way better. I have gotten much further. Still haven't beaten any level 260+ mission yet but I actually make it to the last boss and stuff.

Spike

Educated
Ok I took care of the one extremely easy 260 mission on Terra Tortura. Only 3 missions left, 2 side and 1 main...Then I think the next DLC will start. So close...Any tips for fighting the double whammy bosses on that one 260 mission, the one where you fight the chimaera and then the big fat behemoth beast? I think I just need to get my dodge times down better and need to endure the chimaera. I have 1 potion left if I am lucky for behemoth which is absurd. So maybe if I can carry in 2 or 3 which I just do not see as possible. It's so ball bustingly hard, it's getting obnoxious.

Suicidal

Arcane
Ok I took care of the one extremely easy 260 mission on Terra Tortura. Only 3 missions left, 2 side and 1 main...Then I think the next DLC will start. So close...Any tips for fighting the double whammy bosses on that one 260 mission, the one where you fight the chimaera and then the big fat behemoth beast? I think I just need to get my dodge times down better and need to endure the chimaera. I have 1 potion left if I am lucky for behemoth which is absurd. So maybe if I can carry in 2 or 3 which I just do not see as possible. It's so ball bustingly hard, it's getting obnoxious.
I generally avoided boss rush missions because my build sucked balls for 99% of the game and it was way too easy to for me to die to some random bullshit and start all over.

Spike

Educated
I generally avoided boss rush missions because my build sucked balls for 99% of the game and it was way too easy to for me to die to some random bullshit and start all over.
I must complete. Must. Com. Plete. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom