Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - dark fantasy reimagining of FF1 from Team Ninja

somerandomdude

Learned
Ok, so there's new class branches, most of them are edgy as fuck, like Crimson Lord, Apocalypse Warrior, but then thief gets CUTPURSE!? Apocalypse warrior sounds like the ultimate gigachad, who leaves entire battlefields into smoldering ruin in his wake, while cutpurse sounds like a limp-wrist femboy with a fannie pack.

ADL

Prophet

hAc12He.jpeg

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
Did they ever manage to fix the framerate issues? I remember the game being pretty poorly optimised when it came out.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm actually interested to try this. From what I've seen combat seems pretty fun and there's lots of build autism like in Nioh and they added some huge roguelike dungeon in the DLC. Will get it when it's cheap enough.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really enjoyed it. Picked it up in a sale for my X and was surprised it seemed to be negatively received. Probably shouldn't have been as it does make a pretty poor first impression. The graphics are average and have a weird sheen to them that never stops being irritating. The story is baffling at first and very meme-worthy until it starts to come together in the last couple of chapters. It's Team Ninja, so they throw a ridiculous amount of loot at you that is almost totally pointless at lower levels and only serves to teach you which 99% is shit and which 1% is good.

But the combat is fantastic. Difficult until you figure it out and then it get's easier until you finally figure out how to break it and then it's time to steamroll through the current difficulty. The enemy variety is good, some bosses are brilliant and there's so much variety in the classes that one of the biggest problems is deciding which way to kill things is more fun!

I don't think it'll be a surprise to anyone if the PC launch is a dogshit port at first though, given recent history. I hope not or it'll probably kill any chance it has at being a success. The first impression isn't good enough to overcome a lot of technical issues but it's worth it if you enjoyed Nioh.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I really enjoyed it. Picked it up in a sale for my X and was surprised it seemed to be negatively received. Probably shouldn't have been as it does make a pretty poor first impression. The graphics are average and have a weird sheen to them that never stops being irritating. The story is baffling at first and very meme-worthy until it starts to come together in the last couple of chapters. It's Team Ninja, so they throw a ridiculous amount of loot at you that is almost totally pointless at lower levels and only serves to teach you which 99% is shit and which 1% is good.

But the combat is fantastic. Difficult until you figure it out and then it get's easier until you finally figure out how to break it and then it's time to steamroll through the current difficulty. The enemy variety is good, some bosses are brilliant and there's so much variety in the classes that one of the biggest problems is deciding which way to kill things is more fun!

I don't think it'll be a surprise to anyone if the PC launch is a dogshit port at first though, given recent history. I hope not or it'll probably kill any chance it has at being a success. The first impression isn't good enough to overcome a lot of technical issues but it's worth it if you enjoyed Nioh.
The game's already been available on PC for about a year (as an Epic Games Store exclusive which certainly didn't help it gain popularity) and as you already have guessed it was a mess, most notably in cutscenes

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I'm actually interested to try this. From what I've seen combat seems pretty fun and there's lots of build autism like in Nioh and they added some huge roguelike dungeon in the DLC. Will get it when it's cheap enough.
Quite a fun game but some really bad design choices. loot vomit, bland stages, and the fact you have to beat the game before you can gain levels killed it for me.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
and the fact you have to beat the game before you can gain levels killed it for me.

What the fuck? How does this work? Seems like an absolutely terrible decision.
You can level each class but this just unlocks new abilities, stats are fixed until level 30, which is only removed postgame. So all your power comes from your gear.

I guess you could say it keeps the game balanced. But if you're going to do that, just get rid of the gear grind and make it a basic action game like Devil May Cry.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i admit i know knothing about the game, but this meme just showed up on my youtube feed and i thught this was an edit. it's not.

so maybe this is worth playing for the memes ?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
How is this game actually, gameplay wise? Has anyone played it and can compare it to another action game?

Puukko

Arcane
It's really snappy. It's also really not like Nioh. You get different combos mapped to X/Y (with occasional LS directions, I will probably never quite get the hold of these) and finish off practically all enemies well before their HP reaches 0, using Jack's magical homemade crystals recipe. Lots of canceling, and you can steal abilities ftom enemies. So far in the early game it's relatively simple and it feels like they haven't given me all the tools yet. You can switch between two jobs instantaneously and the buildfaggery is there if that appeals to you.

Regarding performance, it seems to have improved, but you'll still want some beefy hardware for a smooth experience. Runs better than Wo Long at least.

Jinn

Arcane
So what's up with the DLC on this? Is it worth getting right out of the gate if I can get a decent deal?

Jinn

Arcane
Eh, after doing a bit of research on the DLCs, I decided they'd be worth the extra $15 just for the gameplay additions alone, not to mention some really nice sounding boss fights. Got the Deluxe edition on gmg for $47, so not a bad deal. Excited to beat the shit out of Chaos!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Eh, after doing a bit of research on the DLCs, I decided they'd be worth the extra $15 just for the gameplay additions alone, not to mention some really nice sounding boss fights. Got the Deluxe edition on gmg for $47, so not a bad deal. Excited to beat the shit out of Chaos!
If you love the game the DLC is worth it since it adds stuff like an extra difficulty level which is going to give the game more longevity. It's a bit disappointing since it's not adding big new chapters of a game like NIOH DLC did, but it's still worth it.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
This game is insanely fun so far. Kind of pisses and shits all over Wo Long, sadly. I mean, it's definitely it's own thing separate from Nioh and Wo Long, but as a Team Ninja game, it's just a lot more fun and varied. They really did great with the job system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom