Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stoneshard - open world roguelike RPG - now available on Early Access

PlayerEmers

Novice
Any good review of the game? I tried to find in yt but din't found any detailed review, detailing talents and game mechanics. Thi game seems very interesting. There is cryomancy in the game? In wiki they say "TBA".
for now you can only use pyro/geo/electro-mancy
about talents/traits, there is still no character creation; there is only 5 presets with unique traits each (and each presset has different starting skills and equipment)
since this is still early access, skill trees can change but right now theres a few skill trees that feel l ike a waste of skill points and some of them feel underwhelming compared to other trees (for example: spears compared to other weapon trees)

dont expect this game to be release on this decade, so you can safely wait for a sale before buying it
i would say its worth if you like grinding for gear and dont care about downtime (there is A LOT of downtime in this game: you walk A LOT and pretty much ALL interactions on the game are slow)
when i play this from time to time, I use cheatengine/mods to speed up the game by 2x/3x

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All Events > Stoneshard Events >

Devlog: Cooking
20db95be18fcce1bd9615de5b97fd2e7e2bd9e0d.png

Hello everyone!

Today the topic is Cooking, a mechanic that will play a significant role in both your adventures and the Caravan System.

Important note: the effects, prices, and availability of most existing foods will be rebalanced in Rags to Riches. The numbers you see on the screenshots are also subject to change.

Cooking can be split in two parts: Basic Actions and the cooking of dishes.

Basic Actions include Roasting and Meat Salting. Roasting is basically the Cooking of the current version of the game. In Rags to Riches it’ll be performed through a separate menu with an option to roast multiple ingredients at once rather than going through them one by one.

275d7f2976acd6fd207969862446c87adb923dd8.gif

Salting requires any type of meat and a few handfuls of Salt. Once preserved, meat loses some of its nutritional value but can be stored indefinitely, which is quite convenient during prolonged expeditions or when you want to preserve the spoils of your hunt for later.

5b0cfc52894c9486ae26a008d5974e4e1492ec44.gif

The preparation of actual dishes is more complex. First of all, you’ll need a recipe. Some basic recipes will be available to all characters from the beginning. The rest will have to be found, bought, or earned through high Reputation in settlements. For instance, reaching Respect in Osbrook will make it possible to purchase the secret of preparing Osbrook Bread Bowl Stew, in Mannshire - Mannshire Fair Salad, in Brynn - Harpy Omelette à la Brynn. For now, we’ve created 37 different recipes, but their total number might grow by the time Rags to Riches is out.

c43541f1f16058305ff53efbef5246fec272f22f.png

So, you’ve got the recipe, what’s next?

Firstly, you’ll need an open fire - any fireplace or campfire will do. Then you’ll have to place a pot on top of it. Tavern fireplaces and some campsites already have pots pre-installed, but you’ll need to bring one for any fires you start yourself. Although, not every recipe requires a pot - for instance, Hunter-Style Drumsticks or Meat Skewer can be cooked without it.

5996466c7b3dd1863436a08da8ff10436519e340.gif

In order to prepare soups and some deserts (such as Fruit Soup or Flapjacks), you’ll need to fill your pot with water or milk. This can be done simply by pouring liquid from other vessels into it.

d5319a3470fab924f31994d0f1a5159a8913d993.gif

Once this part is over, you can start adding the ingredients. Most recipes allow a certain level of deviation: sometimes, they can be interpreted quite liberally - if you cook a Vegetable Salad, any “Vegetable” type ingredient will do. Other recipes might require a specific item, such as Garlic, Onion, or Leek. Keep in mind that the end result will always look the same and have the same effects regardless of the exact ingredients used - this is done for the sake of straightforwardness and more consistent visuals.

eb7705dbf0e4a30fec87588827f5dd27420d29c0.gif

The numbers and stats you see are a placeholder and a subject to change.

Still, there’s a caveat: some recipes have a place for optional Additives that will imbue dishes with extra effects. For example, Salt will double your dish’s expiration time, Butter will give it a bonus to Hunger Resistance, and more exotic variants (such as Jibean Spices, Nistrian Condiments, and Skadian Herbs) will provide a sizeable boost to Morale, Sanity, or Immunity.

db6c3678e8e00100f9a9a078b85bbcf2a6dc2066.png

All in all, dishes will differ not only in the amount of Hunger they sate but also many other aspects: they might reduce Fatigue, improve Morale, Sanity, or Immunity, grant bonus Experience Gain, increase some Resistances, and so on. On top of that, “Satiety” (the effect granted for overfilling your Hunger meter) will receive an additional stack and some other bonuses if you gain it by consuming an advanced dish.

7b20d120ed1f7e0c789a4bce9f2d88099290e6e4.png

Once you’re done cooking, food can be eaten directly from the pot. But if you want to leave it for later, you’ll need a suitable vessel. Obviously, soups require a deep bowl, but everything else can be placed on any plate (gold plates will work as well!). It’ll also be possible to place some dishes directly into your Inventory, such as loafs of Garlic Cheese Bread.

102e880e8b39f7b9efa27ba29535c31affd77608.gif

That’s all for now. Stay tuned for the next devlog, which will be focused on the second branch of the Caravan Upgrades!

PlayerEmers

Novice

Devlog: Cooking
20db95be18fcce1bd9615de5b97fd2e7e2bd9e0d.png

Hello everyone!

Today the topic is Cooking, a mechanic that will play a significant role in both your adventures and the Caravan System.

Important note: the effects, prices, and availability of most existing foods will be rebalanced in Rags to Riches. The numbers you see on the screenshots are also subject to change.

Cooking can be split in two parts: Basic Actions and the cooking of dishes.

Basic Actions include Roasting and Meat Salting. Roasting is basically the Cooking of the current version of the game. In Rags to Riches it’ll be performed through a separate menu with an option to roast multiple ingredients at once rather than going through them one by one.

275d7f2976acd6fd207969862446c87adb923dd8.gif

Salting requires any type of meat and a few handfuls of Salt. Once preserved, meat loses some of its nutritional value but can be stored indefinitely, which is quite convenient during prolonged expeditions or when you want to preserve the spoils of your hunt for later.

5b0cfc52894c9486ae26a008d5974e4e1492ec44.gif

The preparation of actual dishes is more complex. First of all, you’ll need a recipe. Some basic recipes will be available to all characters from the beginning. The rest will have to be found, bought, or earned through high Reputation in settlements. For instance, reaching Respect in Osbrook will make it possible to purchase the secret of preparing Osbrook Bread Bowl Stew, in Mannshire - Mannshire Fair Salad, in Brynn - Harpy Omelette à la Brynn. For now, we’ve created 37 different recipes, but their total number might grow by the time Rags to Riches is out.

c43541f1f16058305ff53efbef5246fec272f22f.png

So, you’ve got the recipe, what’s next?

Firstly, you’ll need an open fire - any fireplace or campfire will do. Then you’ll have to place a pot on top of it. Tavern fireplaces and some campsites already have pots pre-installed, but you’ll need to bring one for any fires you start yourself. Although, not every recipe requires a pot - for instance, Hunter-Style Drumsticks or Meat Skewer can be cooked without it.

5996466c7b3dd1863436a08da8ff10436519e340.gif

In order to prepare soups and some deserts (such as Fruit Soup or Flapjacks), you’ll need to fill your pot with water or milk. This can be done simply by pouring liquid from other vessels into it.

d5319a3470fab924f31994d0f1a5159a8913d993.gif

Once this part is over, you can start adding the ingredients. Most recipes allow a certain level of deviation: sometimes, they can be interpreted quite liberally - if you cook a Vegetable Salad, any “Vegetable” type ingredient will do. Other recipes might require a specific item, such as Garlic, Onion, or Leek. Keep in mind that the end result will always look the same and have the same effects regardless of the exact ingredients used - this is done for the sake of straightforwardness and more consistent visuals.

eb7705dbf0e4a30fec87588827f5dd27420d29c0.gif

The numbers and stats you see are a placeholder and a subject to change.

Still, there’s a caveat: some recipes have a place for optional Additives that will imbue dishes with extra effects. For example, Salt will double your dish’s expiration time, Butter will give it a bonus to Hunger Resistance, and more exotic variants (such as Jibean Spices, Nistrian Condiments, and Skadian Herbs) will provide a sizeable boost to Morale, Sanity, or Immunity.

db6c3678e8e00100f9a9a078b85bbcf2a6dc2066.png

All in all, dishes will differ not only in the amount of Hunger they sate but also many other aspects: they might reduce Fatigue, improve Morale, Sanity, or Immunity, grant bonus Experience Gain, increase some Resistances, and so on. On top of that, “Satiety” (the effect granted for overfilling your Hunger meter) will receive an additional stack and some other bonuses if you gain it by consuming an advanced dish.

7b20d120ed1f7e0c789a4bce9f2d88099290e6e4.png

Once you’re done cooking, food can be eaten directly from the pot. But if you want to leave it for later, you’ll need a suitable vessel. Obviously, soups require a deep bowl, but everything else can be placed on any plate (gold plates will work as well!). It’ll also be possible to place some dishes directly into your Inventory, such as loafs of Garlic Cheese Bread.

102e880e8b39f7b9efa27ba29535c31affd77608.gif

That’s all for now. Stay tuned for the next devlog, which will be focused on the second branch of the Caravan Upgrades!
please devs... don't make me think you are taking the Project Zomboid route: focusing on filler/side content and mechanics instead of focusing on the main thing
dont get sidetracked; focus on what matters the most
more dungeon/skills/characters/rpg mechanics, refine what we already got
leave secondary mechanics and content for later in development

cooking is nice, but i don't think using their time to implement it NOW is a good thing
the game desperately needs more real content

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
Something about the game just seems, I don't know, boring. Maybe it's because it's too slow. Maybe it's because traveling is boring and you need to pass a lot of time traveling. Combat was ok, nothing great. Maybe it was because it has that good awful trees taking most of the screen in wilderness and they pop in pop out all the time causing a mild headache. I can see the depth this game has and maybe it gets better but just couldn't last long with it. I mean props to developers you can see they really enjoy creating it and maybe it will be great in the end, or maybe it already is to a lot of people, I just couldn't find it interesting at all.

I also bought this years ago, barely played. Seems like one of those games that will go one of two routes:

1. In 10 years, it will become an excellent game.
2. Shovelware/Abandonware.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I also bought this years ago, barely played. Seems like one of those games that will go one of two routes:

I mean... yes?

It will either be great.
Or it won't. Or it will be abandoned and never finished.

So, yes, it exists and will continue to exist. What other options are there? :lol:

I mean... yes?

It will either be great.
Or it won't. Or it will be abandoned and never finished.

So, yes, it exists and will continue to exist. What other options are there? :lol:

You missed the 10 year part. Most games that come out on Steam, you can tell right away if they are good or bad. This one, it's moving along at a snail pace, and the devs are a bit clueless, but they seem to care and put the work in, so who knows...

thesecret1

Arcane
I might remember this wrong since it's been a while since I last played, but wasn't inventory space in Stoneshard rather limited? In which case, who in their right mind will haul around a fucking cauldron and ingredients? The sensible thing is to only cook at "base" (either in town or right next to it if that's not an option) where you'll have all the tools you need in one place, and haul interesting ingredients there. That, however, results in the various cooking buffs becoming irrelevant, as by the time you get from base to a dungeon, they'll already be expired. Therefore, the only way to actually gain benefit will be to haul said food around with you (using yet more tools) up until the dungeon entrance and eat it there, though from the gifs provided it seems like the buffs are negligible (nature resistance +5%? Come on!), and don't last very long anyway, so it's doubtful anyone will even bother.

Overall it seems like tedium that most players won't bother with, and the few that do will only do so for RP reasons rather than gameplay ones. Devs seem to not understand that if they put in a system that requires a lot of activity from the player (gathering tools and ingredients, managing expiration period, logistics, etc.), then the payoff should match that and make it worth their time. As is, the most likely scenario I can see if players finding a recipe that is simple, removes a lot of hunger, and takes little inventory space, and just spam that single dish for the rest of the game.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Base is moving base. Your caravan. Every adventure means your base moves with you. Not mandatory, but obvious and optimal way to play. Devs confirmed

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, I bought the game, the game in linux needed a obscure lib which I could't find, so I installed teh M$ Bloatware in wine and what I really hated is that there is no character creation in "beta" and in order to be a caster, I must play a female character, I played very little but honestly will wait till release.

Shaki

Arbiter
What's the over/under on whether this ever gets finished? I bought this I don't even know how many years ago now, thinking it had a solid foundation and was probably imminently releasable. :lol:
99% this never gets finished, but I also didn't believe in Cleve ever finishing Grimoire, so who knows

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Devlog: Caravan Upgrades - Part II
6beda9108a1975e13e26c045e77d95cdcec4943c.png

Hello everyone!

In today’s devlog, we’ll continue exploring the Caravan Upgrade System, which brings us to the second part of the upgrade tree - “Restoration”.

1081d0a080cb5520aeae34ec0edb27295104fc15.png

True to its name, the “Restoration” path is dedicated to maximizing the efficacy of resting at the Caravan. It comes with 6 upgrades that are focused on either improving the quality of your Character’s sleep or introducing more utility to the Camp.

We’d like to remind you that Caravan Upgrades are completely separate from the Leveling System and don’t require Ability Points - all upgrades are unlocked exclusively by purchasing prerequisite items.

Restoration
eba67f33e086c3c5692005bbda597ea294e3d449.png

Straw Bed
bc98a8b099a8cbcf0d7612fa760238346cd76904.png

Requirements:
basic upgrade (available from the start)
Effect:
adds a sleeping spot to the Caravan Camp

a6e46e180bd3c33e0146c6fccb589afd427e196a.png

Small Tent
108342230fa47d267185e3e03676958fa069efac.png

Requirements:
Canvas Roll, Rope, Spool of Thread (х2), Straw (х3)
Effect:
sleeping at the Caravan Camp grants “Vigor”
Sleeping at the Caravan reduces Fatigue 100% more effectively

16479e4d050793736fa30ef1f8b6da6c60f31bd2.png

Roomy Tent
ff034db711be59a9325db7e4ebb463c11095e8c9.png

Requirements:
Hardy Tent Cloth, Rope (х2), Spool of Thread (х4), Straw (х5)
Effect:
sleeping at the Caravan Camp grants two stacks of “Vigor”

b948643f172ea5cc86bfedde5dedb35dad60e646.png

Shrine
This upgrade adjusts to your Character’s race and religion: Humans will be able to set up a “Praying Spot”, Elves - a “Meditation Spot”, and Dwarves - an “Offering Spot”.

Shrine: Praying Spot
ad67e9a566756ba16f31168a5265ddfa766db481.png

Requirements:
Hieronite Altar, Ritual Candles, Altar Bell
Effect:
allows your Character to pray at the Caravan Camp to receive “Blessing”

Shrine: Meditation Spot
8f11bed2ce3129d3812488e50063000c6f93481c.png

Requirements:
Meditation Table, Incense, Censer
Effect:
allows your Character to meditate at the Caravan Camp to receive “Peace of Mind”

Shrine: Offering Spot
94972e7c0443865adfa2e6b8dd2402c092b02a00.png

Requirements:
Lesser Runic Stone, Skull, Candle-End
Effect:
allows your Character to call upon their Ancestors to receive “Ancestors' Gaze” - the effect lasts indefinitely, scales with enemies killed, and is removed upon reaching low Health

c328bddf65bf08d76be55cdfc1665f36b81c4abd.gif

Training Area
38b98380995c696ed37587427e421535567b7d89.png

Requirements:
Straw Dummy, Straw (х4), Bolt of Cloth
Effect:
installs two training dummies at the Caravan Camp (basic and armored variants), which can be used to test your Character’s damage and try out new abilities. Dummies can be moved around within a designated area

4728c250ca52c966f4b62c47b11324ddb4b6322e.gif

Soothing Incenses
c3ecd1bbbd925c1833696366b1a428cf5f1e43f3.png

Requirements:
Incense Burner, Incense (х2), Censer
Effect:
sleeping at the Caravan restores Psyche 100% more effectively
Sleeping at the Caravan removes negative Psyche effects and resets the progress towards them

Herbal Remedies
0f483685dd35f70059eb060eed52c49a6f9fc3df.png

Requirements:
Apothecary Box, Mindwort (х2), Thyme (х2), Burnet (х2)
Effect:
sleeping at the Caravan restores Health and body parts’ Condition 50% more effectively (100% if also unlocked the “Foraging Supplies” upgrade).
Each hour of sleep at the Caravan replenishes 1% Immunity (1.5% if also unlocked the “Foraging Supplies” upgrade)

98fe002a5d459cfaf63ca381bbc868932ec50861.png

==============================================

That’s all for now. In the next devlog, we’ll tell you more about the Crafting System for consumable items, which is yet another mechanic that’ll be introduced to the game with the Rags to Riches update. Until next time!

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Devlog: Consumables Crafting
a1fd71beefa37caa52029017c849c93cb1f28659.png

Hello everyone!

Today’s devlog is dedicated to another new feature of the upcoming Rags to Riches update - the Crafting System.

The main principle behind the titular mechanic is that it allows only the creation of consumables and other similar items. The possibility of crafting complex gear and equipment was discarded very early on: doing otherwise would result in constant interactions with a broad range of specialized crafts and tools, which doesn’t mesh well with the game’s main theme - adventuring and exploring the world as a mercenary. On top of that, being able to craft armor and weapons would demand a rather cumbersome system with lots of materials, tools, and so on, shifting the game’s focus even further from what we aim to achieve.

Therefore, a system that revolves solely around the creation of consumables and various utility items makes the most sense in the context of the preexisting basic gameplay loop, adding more depth to the preparation stage.

Anyway, let’s start with the basics. Crafting is performed through a dedicated menu, which can be accessed in three ways: by using the “Crafting” basic ability, interacting with a workbench (such as the one you can upgrade your Caravan with), or by using a Crafting Kit:

d23eba9e5dc8d409902164d928d0ee300cfc5ac9.gif

In order to create an item, you’ll need to possess both the correct ingredients and the knowledge. In the beginning, your character will know how to craft only the most simple items - the schematics for making anything more sophisticated will need to be found, looted, or purchased from traders.

31fc5f35b51f42c865830f39b92304be352f8529.png

Schematics are split into two categories: basic and advanced. Basic items can be crafted anywhere, any time, all you need is ingredients. On the contrary, advanced schematics can’t be followed through without a workbench or a Crafting Kit - a new consumable that loses charges with each crafted item.

1f561338ec6b3d0424ae75dd7fce946f0320854a.png

Creating a consumable will award a bit of Experience, the exact amount depending on the finished item’s complexity. To make the search for new schematics even more enticing, crafting an item for the first time will grant you five times the basic amount of XP. And even though the current list of crafting schematics is relatively short, we plan to greatly expand it in the future with the addition of many new consumables.

It’s worth mentioning that this new system brought a lot of changes to Bedrolls and Campfires: Bedrolls will no longer require you to learn any skills to craft them, while Campfires will be created by using a special craftable item - a Bundle of Brushwood.

Consequently, the Survival ability tree saw some significant tweaks too: it now has a much more flexible structure, and some of its skills were heavily revised.

Each character will also start with “Butchering”, a new Survival skill that will allow you to harvest meat from dead beasts without investing any AP. Skinning and looting rare ingredients, on the other hand, will still require you to learn the dedicated passive.

ae721344d7ccc55473f05b45864e6d40a8c885c8.png

Additionally, the Crafting System will allow your character to create Fodder, a resource used to fuel your Caravan travels. Although Fodder will be purchasable from stablehands, there’s still a risk of finding yourself stranded far from civilization without sufficient supplies - that’s where additional options come into play.

6597d2137ccddee7a28dca6bafcf724b08ef490d.gif

Fodder can be crafted from any foodstuff suitable for horses: grain, straw, apples and carrots, even some herbs. Using grain in particular will yield the most Fodder, while the low nutritional value of straw will require you to collect a whole lot of it to make a difference.

That’s all for now. In the next devlog we’ll return with more information on the Caravan Upgrades. As a parting gift, here’s a glimpse of something else that we’re currently working on:

3ce2783633ef641754696e5045d1a6eb9d0f7a7b.png

Until the next devlog, and have a happy New Year!

Aemar

Arcane

Better than Stoneshard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom