Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stock market game

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Someone asked me to make a game that helps explain people how stock markets work (and an app to tell you when you should buy and sell your real shares, but that's a different discussion).

After thinking it over, I think that would require a sim of the people involved, like a visually much simplified SimCity, where all the people are calculated. Starting with a bunch of farmers that mostly have horses for transportation and ending up with a simplified economy as we know it today.

They need to live somewhere, eat and drink, make and raise kids, have a job and a distance they can travel to buy and sell stuff. And all that has to be produced somewhere, by someone.

While that seems excessive, or at least far more complex than just explaining that shares are just commodities, worth whatever anyone wants to give for them, I don't think you can do it any other way if you want to make a game about explaining it.

Thoughts?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Yes, but they are very shallow. They don't really explain how it works, and there is no real simulation.

Old One

Arcane
Well, your idea seems ambitious, but it certainly be interesting if you brought it to completion. Calculating "all the people" might be overkill though. I say so because that's already been the basis for entire games without even getting to a proper stock market.

Monk

Arcane
There was a game from the '80s where the player made marketing, financial, and manufacturing decisions for each fiscal year for one computer company, and against two others. Results were revealed through income statements, balance sheets, market share, etc. Unfortunately, I can't remember the title. I think it was published by a business magazine.

Comte

Checkout the old game 1830 its a railroad and robber barons game with stock trading. It has a very strong A.I.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The thing is, nowadays people use their smartphone to trade. Bad news? Within a few minutes, your stock is sold. Together with all the day-trading (Where you buy in the morning and sell in the afternoon on the same day) made it a totally different "game".

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What? Maybe small time retail traders use their smartphones. Nobody doing big trades is doing them on mobile, neither on buy side nor sell side.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Yes, the big traders are sitting behind their computer all day.

They can all buy or sell within minutes.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where are you getting your data from? Things on sell side can happen in seconds, buy side can be well under a minute from PM making an order to trader executing and getting back a fill.

Algos evolve so fast that I don't have an idea how quick are they trading now - my guess is low milisec to med microsec.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
What I mean is, that stock today often doesn't pay dividend and as such is only worth whatever buyers want to give for it. It's yet another commodity. And as the price is determined by the last transaction, that price can go up and down pretty fast, especially because all the traders are behind a computer. $100 one minute, $30 or $170 the next minute.

The performance of the company has very little, if anything to do with it.

What you're talking about is the fundamental vs. technical stock analysis. The price swigs you give as an example are extreme - that would be a very volatile stock.

Whether a stock pays dividend or not is not a property of the market but of the security. Lots of equities (which you seem to be talking about) could pay dividend but don't, as the board of directors decide not to invoke that Corporate Action. There is also quite a lot of equities that don't have dividends in their structure.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Well, if a company pays dividend, the price of their stock does have a benchmark.

In the past, you bought stock if you expected the dividend to pay more than the interest on a savings account. If the company did well, the amount of dividend paid was higher, so the intrinsic value of the stock was higher as well (higher Return On Investment).

Nowadays, we expect companies to make a profit every quarter, even if that requires them to fire most of their employees and sell most of their assets. That's also the reason why most of them don't pay any dividend anymore: it would be a huge burden on their balance sheet.

So, ironically enough, the share holders destroyed their own income by demanding a steady dividend each quarter.

Anyway, the only connection most companies have with their shares is the amount of money they make in the initial offering. After that, the only real connection to the company is the expectation that the upper management has shares as well and want them to do well.

Then again, if they do so, they tend to be accused of using insider information. They cannot win. Just sell them all initially, burn everything left and ignore them.

The last part is, that all the shareholders own the company. In the past. Because, nowadays most companies have also a small amount of "preferred" shares, which are the only ones that actually get a say in the matter. And there are many other ways to make sure the shareholders have no vote whatsoever.

tl;dr: shares are just a commodity, and emotion decides the value. That's all.

Mustawd

Anyway, the only connection most companies have with their shares is the amount of money they make in the initial offering. After that, the only real connection to the company is the expectation that the upper management has shares as well and want them to do well.

Not just the first offering. A healthy first round of shares sold will help the cost of capital be lower for the company if/when they decide to do more offerings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom